Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

New Police Extortion Format - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / New Police Extortion Format (211 Views)

Congratulations Nigeria China Ooen New Police Station In Nigeria / Why Is Police Extortion Allowed In The South East? / List Of New Police Commissioners And Their States Of Deployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Police Extortion Format by Nbotee(m): 12:02pm On Dec 20, 2021
So I embarked on a road trip to the East (Owerri specifically) 2 days ago and decided to take the Lokoja-Ajaokuta-Ejule-Otukpa route so I go thru Enugu. The roads were unusually devoid of the usual Police checkpoints and I was kinda relieved as I felt it was going to be smooth driving all through. I got a t??long the Ajaokuta road just in front of the Ceramics quarry. They waved my to stop and park well in their usual unruly way...

I was travelling with my mum, 2 siblings and another family acquaintance in the car. I cleared off the road and wound down the glasses. The Officer who approached me asked for my vehicle papers and drivers licence. I gave them to him (I only give out photocopy of my licence). He asked for me to open my trunk and I did. Little did I know I had made a mistake of leaving my documents with the officer in their hilux. Surprisingly another officer came over and asked me to close the trunk and wait for "Oga" to come back. They quickly discharged one other vehicle they stopped and then "Oga" came back and told me he wanted to check my vehicle Chassis number. Told him to go ahead since I knew everything was intact and complete.
Officer: The information on this ur paper no tally with the number on the car o...
For a minute I was stunned.. Like how do U mean? I asked for him to show what he meant and he told me d paper I gave to him was for a Benz GLK..
Wetin concern Corolla with GLK. Told him there was an error and asked to see the paper. It was the road worthiness of a Benz GLK registered to a strange name in Sapele or so. It didn't make sense to me. Before I knew what was happening they were claiming the GLK was a stolen vehicle they had been looking for and that I must provide the vehicle. Told them I have no idea where d paper came from as my vehicle was obviously not a Benz talk more of a GLK. Before I knew what was happening the "Oga" asked that one of the offices got into my vehicle as we are going to the station if I don't provide the Benz. At this point I was fuming and trying to make sense of all they were saying. My mum got out of the car but I told them to get back in and allow me and the Police. One of them was trying to drag me into the hilux but I refused told him I'm not going anywhere. At that point my mum and everyone in d car got out and were pleading with them to leave me alone. "Oga" told me to go and speak to another officer and let's settle the issue. The Officer told me my bill was #/50,000 for being in possession of the particulars of a stolen vehicle. I was furious. Told them I didn't have any 50k to give to them as na fuel money dey with me and I'm still going far. I had plenty cash on me and knew that if I bring that out before them they will insist on taking all. Told them I'll have to boro money from my mum or siblings and see what I can com up with. Last last last, they collected 20k from me and told me to remove that particular paper from my documents immediately if I didn't want to encounter similar issue with other checkpoints. I entered back into my car and drove off.
Then it struck me!!! Police don set me up scam me join. I quickly parked the car and looked for the other vehicle documents I have.(I usually keep more than 2 copies in the car). I checked and discovered there was nothing like dat document in the other photocopies I had in the car. Apparently they had attached that document to the photocopy I gave them when they went to their hilux with it.. I felt so foolish and used. I immediately used a pen to number d documents and told myself I wasn't parting with any kobo for any Policeman again.
The Next checkpoint I was stopped, I held unto the documents till I came out from the car and followed the officer as he was checking it. Infact the officer afta not finding anything to extort me with claimed I called him an idiot in the car(Me wey dey inside AC and windows fully wound up, how exactly can he hear considering he was on a busy road)
@Lalasticlala and other mods, make una help other road users avoid this extortion and oppression
Re: New Police Extortion Format by AnaCheks(m): 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2021
Na Wa oo. Na so the Christmas go be for road. Why you no bring out the other copy na?
Re: New Police Extortion Format by Nbotee(m): 12:09pm On Dec 20, 2021
Noo
Re: New Police Extortion Format by Nbotee(m): 12:12pm On Dec 20, 2021
AnaCheks:
Na Wa oo. Na so the Christmas go be for road. Why you no bring out the other copy na?

D same question I asked myself. Ordinarily I for jus drive dey go leave the papers with them since I had anoda copy. But at that point in time I was trying to get them to check the documents of the vehicle which were with them but they were more fixated on the fake paper they had included in the documents I gave them. I don learn becos I didn't make d same mistake twice. I'll make more copies of my documents and number them and sign on them if possible. U take my papers to ur hilux and want to waste my time I drive off
Re: New Police Extortion Format by Kriss216: 12:15pm On Dec 20, 2021
You have other copies with you... Why didn't you bring them to verify? Maybe they use jazz on you.
Re: New Police Extortion Format by SportsHD: 12:16pm On Dec 20, 2021
Na to dey carry flame thrower Waka be dat. Burn any coo wey I see for road. Alternate universe.
Re: New Police Extortion Format by Nbotee(m): 12:18pm On Dec 20, 2021
Kriss216:
You have other copies with you... Why didn't you bring them to verify? Maybe they use jazz on you.

I usually have atleast 3 copies of my vehicle documents and drivers Licence in the car. Probably I didn't bother about the other papers becos they weren't interested in the vehicle papers but the paper they had included amongst the documents. The vehicle papers were intact and correct but they were fixated on the fake one they attached to my documents.

(1) (Reply)

Ooni's Wife, Naomi Quits Royal Palace / Julaz Properties Seasons Greetings / You May Not Realize This But The Right Domain Is Essential To Your Success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.