Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,804 members, 7,806,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent (6580 Views)

6 Important Vehicle Documents Police, FRSC & VIO Will Always Ask You / A Car With Ankara Paint / Starting A Car With AC On: Good Or Bad Practice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by mpeg(m): 9:17pm On Jun 14, 2011
Do I have the right to go after the guy that bought the car?
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 14, 2011
focus on the important facts here, you should go after YOUR BROTHER who sold your car!
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by chelseabmw(m): 9:52pm On Jun 14, 2011
@Poster,
There is absolutely nothing you can do.Your car is gone.But there is something you are not telling us here. . . .
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by ikeyman00(m): 10:10pm On Jun 14, 2011
chelsea

just wondering if i can ask . . ,

have u ever encounter any wahala on the highway with those custom papers femmy did for your ride??

just checking and nothing else
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by infolpf: 12:32am On Jun 15, 2011
Depends on the circumstances -
Was the car in your name, did your brother have your authority to sell, did he convert the vehicle to his own use
Nonetheless, the short answer to your question is No, YOU cannot go after the buyer. The long answer however, is that based on the circumstances, it could become a police matter. You could report the car stolen to the police, and lead them to this "buyer". It is just as much an offence to receive stolen property as is it to steal or convert.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by kuntash: 7:13am On Jun 15, 2011
was it sold here on nairaland?
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by femmy2010(m): 7:22am On Jun 15, 2011
ikeyman00:

chelsea

just wondering if i can ask . . ,

have u ever encounter any wahala on the highway with those custom papers femmy did for your ride??

just checking and nothing else

Interesting and a very strange assumption indeed.
Having issues with your vehicle cos it doesn't have Custom papers?
All you needed to do is call or write me than throwing this at anybody on a public forum.
Reach me on 08036363467 or email duduconsultt@yahoo.com for more information.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by mpeg(m): 7:50am On Jun 15, 2011
thanks guys, it looks like there is little or nothing i can do about it. The papers were in my name, what i dont know is if he changed the ownership and how he did it. I dont think i want to report my family problem to Nigerian police, i dey craze? Next time, i wil keep my papers well.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 15, 2011
mpeg:

thanks guys, it looks like there is little or nothing i can do about it. The papers were in my name, what i dont know is if he changed the ownership and how he did it. [b]I dont think i want to report my family problem to Nigerian police, i dey craze? [/b]Next time, i wil keep my papers well.

That's where you're wrong buddy. Your brother stole, that makes him a thief. You're doing him no favours, by letting him get away with it. Next time, it could be someone else he steals from, and he may not be so lucky. A thief is a thief, regardless of whom he steals from. Covering such things up does more harm than good, because he'll never learn.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by strangest(m): 10:05am On Jun 15, 2011
Siena:

That's where you're wrong buddy. Your brother stole, that makes him a thief. You're doing him no favours, by letting him get away with it. Next time, it could be someone else he steals from, and he may not be so lucky. A thief is a thief, regardless of whom he steals from. Covering such things up does more harm than good, because he'll never learn.

My brother, I think its not about being wrong, On a very good day, one can easily give out a car to a brother , Why call police on a brother and tomorrow you will still be the one to pay the bail fee. I believe what the poster need to do now is to learn from his mistakes and know how to keep things especially when it comes to money matters,
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by gulfer: 1:48pm On Jun 15, 2011
@Mpeg, there is certainly more behind this incident and certainly something between you two that you have not divulged here. Come to the table with more facts and you'll be amazed at what creative solutions guys on NL can come up with. I don't envy you and certainly your situation, lol.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 15, 2011
strangest:

My brother, I think its not about being wrong, On a very good day, one can easily give out a car to a brother , Why call police on a brother and tomorrow you will still be the one to pay the bail fee. I believe what the poster need to do now is to learn from his mistakes and know how to keep things especially when it comes to money matters,

Bro, his brother stole from him, end of. The fact he may have to bail his brother out is besides the point. He would be doing his brother a favour, if he allowed him to cool his heels off in a cell for a few days.

And he shouldn't have to hide things from his own brother. If he has to take steps to make sure his brother doesn't steal from him, that's very sad! If his brother's that much a thief, the OP hiding his property and money from him wouldn't stop him. Would you expect next door neighbours and friends to hide their items of value, because a potential thief lives next door? The only way for one to learn is the hard way. A few days behind bars with the NPF to keep him company will make him think twice about stealing from anyone else in future.

Next, he'll be routing round in his next door neighbour's house, hoping to find their vehicle documents, so he could sell their vehicles. Seemingly small things, like stealing from your own family can snowball into big issues, with potentially catastrophic results.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by nineville(m): 3:46pm On Jun 15, 2011
@Strangest and @Siena

I found myself laughing out when I saw your responses about this : should he take legal action against his Brother
that stole his car? Actually both of you are right but on different angles.

Strangest: he is right because perhaps he is based in naija and believes family comes first and no matter how he can't be independent all the rest of his life that he won't need his blood brother or his children and that of his brother will forget easily the person that led to his brother conviction even though he is at fault. That is most Nigerians mentality!Impunity. I can do anything and go scot-free. I am above the law. He is my brother, cousin, godfather, mother, we are from the same town, religion and denomination sentiments etc
The major disadvantage is that if people continue to err and we pardon them they will surely commit grievous crime next time just like Siena pointed out likerubbing neighbours or pointing guns on highways

Siena: he is perhaps based in oversea, in a developed country where LAW actually works. People don't break the
law anyhow as we do in Naija. There is no godfatherism and favouritism, even if it exists at a bearest minimum. There is consequence for any wrong doing. He believes that brother that sold a car without one's consent should be punished so as to learn from it. This is not about vengeance it is about Justice. I am a bit in support of this because it will make our society better, we will need less law enforcement officers in our society. Take for instance in lagos people will mostly not obey traffic law/ light in a route they believe there are no presence of LASTMA officials. Workers, govt officials or politicians will continue to rob his company, federation account when he believes he can't be caught etc

This is principally my opinion based on the fact that I have experienced the 2 sides.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jun 15, 2011
theft is theft, whether by a stranger or by his brother. now, if poster decides to do nothing about it then fair enough but he shouldnt try to shift the focus on the buyer (who probably saw that the surname was the same on the car documents)

if people are not ready to do the RIGHT things in life then let THEM live their sorry lives.
when will poster finally decide to report his brothers criminal act: when he "murder" somebody? when he "rape" your gf? when sell your house?
NONSENSE!
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by pannyman(m): 4:13pm On Jun 15, 2011
When your brother stole your car and sold it did he not remember who's car it was? He has acted criminally and should be treated as a criminal. It's so strange the kind of values people have in Nigeria for them to think that if your brother steals from you then it should be kept in the family. This guy took it out of the family when he sold it to an outsider.

It's your call, mpeg. If you wanna forgive him, no wahala. It was your car.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by okemmadu(m): 5:06pm On Jun 15, 2011
Have u tried to help him in any ways to get trained or find a good job. btw we need to hear his own version of the story b4 we judge him. smiley
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Sicherheit(m): 5:24pm On Jun 15, 2011
okemmadu:

Have u tried to help him in any ways to get trained or find a good job. btw we need to hear his own version of the story b4 we judge him. smiley
What side of his brother story will justify selling a car that is not his?
Nigerians are always making excuses for criminals. undecided
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 15, 2011
Sicherheit:

What side of his brother story will justify selling a car that is not his?
Nigerians are always making excuses for criminals. undecided

You're not wrong there.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by aieromon(m): 5:45pm On Jun 15, 2011
@OP
Maybe he sold your car because you were owing him some money.If not,i see no reason why one should sell his brother's property while he is still alive.Worse,you're not ready to report the case to the police.
Simply put,your brother did the wrong thing for the right reason.Please,come out clean and spill the whole story.
Thanks
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Amjustme: 5:47pm On Jun 15, 2011
So many things you aint telling us bros but its okay. Are you sure u didnt borrow money from your brother and refused to pay back? There has to be something like this.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by proudly9ja(m): 5:47pm On Jun 15, 2011
Nothing justifies what the brother did but anyone who has spent a day or at least seen the 4 walls (or 3) of a Nigerian police cell will not wish his worst enemy to stay there for one day.

@poster, try and settle the matter within the family. Whatever it is that led your brother to sell your car should be sorted asap. We only know one side of the story, you know the whole thing
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by MrCork17: 5:48pm On Jun 15, 2011
yo brother?  is he Ibo? (no oofeinse) undecided
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Excelboi(m): 6:00pm On Jun 15, 2011
Mr, Cork:

yo brother?  is he Ibo? (no oofeinse) undecided
hahaha,what has tribe got to do with this cork head?. Well,i knw wia ur heading,it means na ibo dey do dis kind bad thing! Lol
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by baconline(m): 6:17pm On Jun 15, 2011
Any transaction without the owners consent in writing or otherwise is invalid.I had a sweet deal from the woman who wanted to sell her husbands car while he was abroad.Although the deal will have made me 50% richer ,I told her ,to get me a letter from her husband authorizing her to sell it off.She could not provide it ,so i walked away
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by nwaafo1: 6:35pm On Jun 15, 2011
Excelboi:

hahaha,what has tribe got to do with this cork head?. Well,i knw wia your heading,it means na ibo dey do dis kind bad thing! Lol
no difference btw you and mr. cork
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Odinaka00(m): 6:58pm On Jun 15, 2011
u nairalanders are nt helping matter at all, so juz becuz i sold my brother's car thats y u all want him to crucify me huh, all of una don dey madt
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jun 15, 2011
aieromon:

@OP
Maybe he sold your car because you were owing him some money.If not,i see no reason why one should sell his brother's property while he is still alive.Worse,you're not ready to report the case to the police.
Simply put,your brother did the wrong thing for the right reason.Please,come out clean and spill the whole story.
Thanks

His brother stole for the right reason?? I can't believe I'm hearing this. Is there ever a right reason to steal? If you someone owed you £10,000, they wouldn't pay up, then you decided to sell their £2,000 car, it still amounts to theft. I can't understand why this point isn't clear - theft for whatever reason is theft. Regardless of what the other side of the story is (if there's one) there's no moral justification for theft.

Someone on here mentioned how unpleasant a Nigerian police cell is, and how he wouldn't wish his worst enemy to spend a day there. Nasty it may be, but sometimes, it's the sort of wake-up call some people need to get on the straight and narrow. Armed robbers, burglars, petty thieves etc all started somewhere, they weren't born thieves. And I'm sure there are relatives living with the regret of not being harder on family members that turned out bad - advancing from petty theft to full-blown robbery.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by andyanders: 7:26pm On Jun 15, 2011
@mpeg

[b]Poster, guys, listen; The poster said his brother sold his car with the papers. He did not say " My brother stole my car?"

People talking about stealing should note that the poster never said his brother stole his car. He sold it with the papers.

There is more to this than what is posted here. Poster,did you give out the car to him as dash/gift or whatever name,  to use and he later decided to sell it and keep the proceeds? Or you asked him to sell the car and he sold the car and kept the money to himself and you decided to say he sold your car? Or you asked him to advertise the car on nairaland and you released the papers to him to keep and he later sold and went away with the money? Is he still staying with you or he ran away from you after taking the car? Did he brake your house and went away with the car papers, sold off the car and ran away? Did your family declare him wanted? Do you hereby declare that your blood brother is a thief and has been known as a thief and you gave him access to your home? Is he staying with you and is known to you that you live with a thief? Please I need you to expanciate on this , then I will give you an answer.

Something
[/b]
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by o2dlomez(m): 7:28pm On Jun 15, 2011
From Car who Know what else he will be stealing, if he is allowed to go free on this occasion. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by dayokanu(m): 7:29pm On Jun 15, 2011
If the car was in your name maybe your brother also commited forgery or impersonation too
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by mpeg(m): 7:42pm On Jun 15, 2011
He took advantage of my thing without my consent but i dont think i will call him a thief. He is an an elder bros and am more successful. This is the first time this kind of thing is happening and am considering probably, he thought while i was away, i may never need the car again, but that was my lovely car, he could have told me at least. If i dont have the right to order the buyer to return the car, then i give up. To involving nigerian police? Not me, those guys are nonsense, sorry to insult them.
Re: My Brother Sold My Car With The Original Documents Without My Consent by solomto(f): 7:48pm On Jun 15, 2011
Is he frustrated?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder / Please Is This Car A Good Deal For 240k / Why Is This Oil Labelled Full Synthetic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.