Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,683 members, 7,801,966 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? (12056 Views)

Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? / What Does Marriage Mean To You? / Does Marriage Change Men For The Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by deluxecad(m): 8:46am On Jun 15, 2011
After all the excitement and fun of freshly getting married has worn away, the couple is now fraught with the real deal they have consensually/mutually (in some cases not) signed on to.  The discoveries of real individual qualities, sleeping patterns, hygiene. . .  (which in most cases dating and courtship seem to have not unravelled) now dawn on the newbies. Most of such discoveries are at the least unsettling.  And now enter the babies and the responsibilities that come with parenting. Some of the spouses still see and maintain dealings with their erstwhile lovers, while others hit it off with new ones (for reasons I can't tell). Still in the game!

I have always been an advocate of good and consummate marriage, but what I find hard to understand is the fact that people say MARRIAGE = SETTLING DOWN.  Settling down in what sense?

Does marriage mean settling down?
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by obowunmi(m): 10:54am On Jun 15, 2011
No, marriage does not mean "settling down."
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by N101: 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2011
deluxecad:

After all the excitement and fun of freshly getting married has worn away, the couple is now fraught with the real deal they have consensually/mutually (in some cases not) signed on to.  The discoveries of real individual qualities, sleeping patterns, hygiene. . .  (which in most cases dating and courtship seem to have not unravelled) now dawn on the newbies. Most of such discoveries are at the least unsettling.  And now enter the babies and the responsibilities that come with parenting. Some of the spouses still see and maintain their erstwhile lovers, while others hit it off with new ones (for reasons I can't tell). Still in the game!

I have always been an advocate of good and consummate marriage, but what I find hard to understand is the fact that people say MARRIAGE = SETTLING DOWN.  Settling down in what sense?

Does marriage mean settling down?

When you "settle down" it means you have established an exclusive relationship, committing yourself to that one person, after being unmarried. This also means all your energies should be dedicated to making that relationship mutually beneficial to both of you. It is no more "me" mine" and "I" but "we" us" and "ours".  Marriage has its highs and lows, but you learn a lot about yourself and the other person along the way.

Unfortunately it seems a lot of people get married for the wrong reasons and choose to do dishonourable things whilst married.  When people focus on themselves and not the other person, they choose to live as though they are unsettled thus the extramarital boyfriends and girlfriends.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by solomto(f): 7:38am On Jun 16, 2011
N101:

When you "settle down" it means you have established an exclusive relationship, committing yourself to that one person, after being unmarried. This also means all your energies should be dedicated to making that relationship mutually beneficial to both of you. It is no more "me" mine" and "I" but "we" us" and "ours".  Marriage has its highs and lows, but you learn a lot about yourself and the other person along the way.

Unfortunately it seems a lot of people get married for the wrong reasons and choose to do dishonourable things whilst married.  When people focus on themselves and not the other person, they choose to live as though they are unsettled thus the extramarital boyfriends and girlfriends.
spot on.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by deluxecad(m): 8:46am On Jun 16, 2011
N101:

@Solomto: You make sense.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by ifyalways(f): 10:54am On Jun 16, 2011
SOlomtoo is right to some extent but If u are not settled as a spinster/bachelor,i doubt if u wud really settle down/in to marriage.If u are not settled with ur finances(no saving,investment,plan B acumen or plans),not emotionally stable,not disciplined as an adult before getting married,you wud only carry in ur un-settled issues and loads to ur partner.Godhavemercy when 2 people with un settled and unsorted issues gets married. . . they usually settle in court,with their fists or with 1 of them 6 feet below.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by angelz(f): 10:58am On Jun 16, 2011
"When you "settle down" it means you have established an exclusive relationship, committing yourself to that one person, after being unmarried. This also means all your energies should be dedicated to making that relationship mutually beneficial to both of you. It is no more "me" mine" and "I" but "we" us" and "ours". Marriage has its highs and lows, but you learn a lot about yourself and the other person along the way.

Unfortunately it seems a lot of people get married for the wrong reasons and choose to do dishonourable things whilst married. When people focus on themselves and not the other person, they choose to live as though they are unsettled thus the extramarital boyfriends and girlfriends."

U too much.
U hit the nail right on the head.
"When people focus on themselves and not the other person, they choose to live as though they are unsettled thus the extramarital boyfriends and girlfriends."
U sound like some1 l know. which religions organisation do u belong?
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by Frankyboy1(m): 11:00am On Jun 16, 2011
Mostimes women are desperate to get married,basically due to security reasons, financial security, emotional security, physical security(cos they know they fade fast like d sunset), and when married, they put all d security burden on a man and take his name in exchange for the burden, dont get me wrong here, i do not mean women do not contribute to a home financially and otherwise, but their mind is now in a state of absolute rest(and dats why they easily blow up, even without eating)
. And for you brothers, thats when you know the innate character of most women(most times u re shocked at how callous nd terrible they can be). So ladies cut that crap of sharing your love with someone nd bla bla bla, women re basically the happiest on their wedding day, inrespective of what they feel for a man, cos now they have got a life mugu, while they can now be madams nd express all their negative attributes.

MEN BEWARE: Marriage should not be rushed into cos of feminine pressure, societal pressure,or love pressure(cos reality always dawns),u should be aware of what you are going into, women always do change, nd most times for the worse.Marriage is the biggest school of life,it teaches you of the infallibility and inconsistency of the human nature.Its never a destination,its a journey, nd d road can get bumby at times.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by r231(m): 11:09am On Jun 16, 2011
N101:

true
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 16, 2011
^^Hope say you sef don settle down. No more side cutting eyez for female passersby grin grin
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by VEE2010(m): 11:34am On Jun 16, 2011
Marriage is all about responsibility. Settling down in my own little understanding means; "settling down to face the reality of live"  Many considers marriage as bed of roses which I believe far from it. Some do not even have anything to bring to the table of marriage. Marriage to me is ability to accept and make a stranger part of your life denying yourself and extended family somethings you used to consider important before marriage. Good marriage is a product of adequate preparation by both partners. Preparation in all ramification, eg; Your thinking, dressing, house keeping, child bearing, tolerance, faithfulness, etc.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by r231(m): 11:37am On Jun 16, 2011
jennykadry:

^^Hope say you sef don settle down. No more side cutting eyez for female passersby grin grin

i don settle down b4 we even got married grin

the marriage na jus formality grin grin
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by FlyboyZee: 11:46am On Jun 16, 2011
Franky boy:

Mostimes women are desperate to get married,basically due to security reasons, financial security, emotional security, physical security(cos they know they fade fast like d sunset), and when married, they put all d security burden on a man and take his name in exchange for the burden, dont get me wrong here, i do not mean women do not contribute to a home financially and otherwise, but their mind is now in a state of absolute rest(and dats why they easily blow up, even without eating)
. And for you brothers, thats when you know the innate character of most women(most times u re shocked at how callous nd terrible they can be). So ladies cut that crap of sharing your love with someone nd bla bla bla, women re basically the happiest on their wedding day, inrespective of what they feel for a man, cos now they have got a life mugu, while they can now be madams nd express all their negative attributes.
Ryt to the Point.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 16, 2011
There is no word like settling down. Marriage is a bumpy ride. Infact, I have planned to get married for kids and divorce latter. I cant stand it. Or i simply buy a house abroad and keep my wife there. I need to flex around.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by LongOne1(m): 11:52am On Jun 16, 2011
Franky boy:

MEN BEWARE: Marriage should not be rushed into cos of feminine pressure, societal pressure,or love pressure(cos reality always dawns),u should be aware of what you are going into, women always do change, nd most times for the worse.Marriage is the biggest school of life,it teaches you of the infallibility and inconsistency of the human nature.Its never a destination,its a journey, nd d road can get bumby at times.

Hmm, interesting perspective, sad but true.

@ Poster
I don’t think getting married means settling down, as I have seen too many cases of people getting married for the wrong reasons i.e. young unsettled boy and young girl in a relationship get married because girl gets pregnant. No plan, no preparation, but a rushed event to prevent shame.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by FlyboyZee: 11:59am On Jun 16, 2011
We actually lived 2geda 4 over a year before we got married.
We actually did a pre-run under normal conditions of an everyday home. Not as if that itself is enough, but it kinda exposes to you certain things You may likely come across in the course of your marriage. Lyk she is religious and churchy to a fault. Anything, a Pastor says is a law to her that must be carried out to the letter (She is very gullible to Pastors). But, not so with me, I take everything , whether from Pastor or not with a pinch of salt, go home, examine and re-examine them, make a thorough analysis, checking the pros and cons, before taking a decision. All these we knew b4 we got married.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by chibaby5(f): 12:04pm On Jun 16, 2011
r231:

i don settle down b4 we even got married grin

the marriage na jus formality grin grin

Awww dats sweet if u mean dat 4 real  smiley

@topic
Yes it meanz settling ryt dwn and calming urself because Its a whole new era u just stepped into.
If not, it wud b da worst thing dat has eva happened to u ur whole life and in no tym, u wud b steppin ryt out
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by ikennabru: 12:34pm On Jun 16, 2011
Mostimes women are desperate to get married,basically due to security reasons, financial security, emotional security, physical security(cos they know they fade fast like d sunset), and when married, they put all d security burden on a man and take his name in exchange for the burden, dont get me wrong here, i do not mean women do not contribute to a home financially and otherwise, but their mind is now in a state of absolute rest(and dats why they easily blow up, even without eating).

I agree to what you said.in fact 95% of marriages is dependent on this.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by totorimi: 1:26pm On Jun 16, 2011
It depends on which angle you are hitting it off from. Now many people marry for so many different reasons some for financial gains, some for personal gains, some for political connections, some for greener pastures. If any marriage for that matter is not based on true love that is unconditional then settling down is a mirage. It is absolutely right to say marriage equals settling down if and only if the marriage is consumated based on true love not deceit. if it is based on deceit it is not hard to find out because such marriages hardly do they stay for 3 months as married couples before either of the parties will start their shenanigans. They will f**k around and pretend they are inlove with their spouses. They continue like this until they eventually endanger their lives of their spouse or theirs before they learn their lessons.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by Koolking(m): 1:31pm On Jun 16, 2011
solomto:

spot on.
[/quot
N101 link=topic=690813.msg8523148#msg8523148 date=1308140092:

e]

Well coined.
I love your comments. It's very intelligent and worth referencing. To me, being married means 'settling down'. Reprehensible behaviours from couples are borned out of  self-aggrandisement and self-absorption. There is nothing else to crave for in a relationship that cannot be realised btw married couples. In fact, this is the last stage in a relationship where other things are being added to spice up relationship.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by SSaemoenl(m): 1:46pm On Jun 16, 2011
Marriage is All about settling UP OK. Ciao
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by enkoby: 1:57pm On Jun 16, 2011
Franky boy:

you are so correct. I got married in April and you need to see how much weight i have gained, and its not as if i eat more than i used to eat b4 i got married. i used to be slim and slender but now, my bumbum keeps increasing daily. damn!
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by MMM2(m): 2:21pm On Jun 16, 2011
nope. undecided
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by otokx(m): 2:26pm On Jun 16, 2011
Why is the credit being diverted from n101 to solomto?
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by ronkebp(f): 2:35pm On Jun 16, 2011
Marraige should definitely equal settling down, if you don't settle down when you marry, what will you de doing then? jumping or flying around? marraige, incase some don't know, has to do with the couple getting down with each other only, not to lie, sometimes your feelings are all over the place, because you are still you when you get married, but the status' should help you discipline your self and curb your wings that are ready to fly.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by babalobi(m): 3:21pm On Jun 16, 2011
It does not guarantee happiness. Because settling down is rarely being at peace with your Creator. Except when you are at peace with Him, He can give you the peace the world will never give you in your marriage!

For sermons and prayer points visit:
http://christonline.info
http://christonline.info/sm
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by bidemi12(m): 3:57pm On Jun 16, 2011
NL is really going down the drains, . . .what a topic.
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by sylve11: 4:26pm On Jun 16, 2011
it means 'settling up' when i don't have money to pay up my rent, feed my family and so . , . . , . , . on sad cool
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by dayokanu(m): 5:19pm On Jun 16, 2011
ronkebp:

Marraige should definitely equal settling down, if you don't settle down when you marry, what will you de doing then? jumping or flying around? marraige, incase some don't know, has to do with the couple getting down with each other only, not to lie, sometimes your feelings are all over the place, because you are still you when you get married, but the status' should help you discipline your self and curb your wings that are ready to fly.

Settle down with you?
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by ronkebp(f): 5:50pm On Jun 16, 2011
dayokanu:

Settle down with you?

Me ke? , me don settle tey tey, cool
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by dayokanu(m): 5:51pm On Jun 16, 2011
Then you need to unsettle and resettle
Re: Does Marriage Really Mean Settling Down? by ronkebp(f): 6:04pm On Jun 16, 2011
dayokanu:

Then you need to unsettle and resettle

cheesy you wish,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Share You Bed Wetting Stories As A Kid / Help, My Son Has Refused To Develope / Five Year Old Boy Opts To Become A Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.