Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? (16559 Views)

Hospital Jobs In Abuja (doctors, Nurses, CHEW, Lab Tech, MLS, Physiotherapist / As A Biochemistry Graduate, What Next? / RE: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Madas1986(m): 2:14pm On Dec 25, 2021
Viraltrends123:
Which year does bch students start doing anatomy and physiology??
help me ask this fat liars ooo

1 Like

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by scopp(m): 2:14pm On Dec 25, 2021
If you want to convert to MLS from studying Microbiology or Biochemistry there are schools where you can go do two years specialization courses. There is a Federal College of Veterinary and Medical Laboratory Technology in Vom Plateau State. You can do your associate program in the Chemical Pathology which you are interested in and get your license as a Medical Laboratory Technologist.
toyini1234:
What pg courses do you guys suggest I go for?
I am thinking MSC in chemical pathology , medical biochemistry or medical microbiology
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Ekpekus(m): 2:17pm On Dec 25, 2021
For today, Christmas day una dey fight.. even the objective of the thread has been defeated and hijacked by arguments that does no one good...
Abeg, this kind of behavior should end in 2021..

1 Like

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by pembisco(m): 2:25pm On Dec 25, 2021
subzeroth:

Lol .baba a 200level medical student knows that D/W is the standard abbreviation for dextrose in water and a 400l medical student can carry out PCV test.
but u see this your "DW patient" , i dare you to tell everyone the meaning of the abbreviation in medicine here for everyone on nairaland to see
Guy no go there.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by pembisco(m): 2:32pm On Dec 25, 2021
scopp:
If you want to convert to MLS from studying Microbiology or Biochemistry there are schools where you can go do two years specialization courses. There is a Federal College of Veterinary and Medical Laboratory Technology in Vom Plateau State. You can do your associate program in the Chemical Pathology which you are interested in and get your license as a Medical Laboratory Technologist.
Don't mislead him. That was stopped as far back as 2010

3 Likes

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Scholar212(m): 2:35pm On Dec 25, 2021
Una too like fight for this healthcare sector. This is the reason I am switching to tech and leaving hospital based practice alone grin. Currently there is no conversion plan directly to MLS and that is the truth, you can only do a direct entry to MLS, a post graduate degree will not give you a license. Same way a person with Bsc chemistry can do postgraduate in Pharmaceutical chemistry but that does not permit you to be licensed as a pharmacist.

5 Likes

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Columbine(m): 2:48pm On Dec 25, 2021
Let's stop all this bantering, it shows that most of us are insecure professionally.

Most of this medically inclined professions are like skills which anybody can learn even without going to school just like apprenticeship, but the difference is that you must follow the process which is getting admitted into your preferred choice of course. A nurse in the A & E dept can be better than a doctor in the same dept due to the nurse's years of experience in the said dept, but still cannot cross the boundary, but can only suggest ( team work) same thing with a lab technician being more experienced than a MLS due to years of experience, same in most professions, that's why it's like a skill.

As a radiographer, I know the internal enmity going on in the hospital setting, especially btw the doctors and allied health, but it's not suppose to be so, no dept knows it all or is independent of the other. I've worked in a setting where me and the radiologist dissects a complex ultrasound image and at the end it is the patient that benefits, that's the goal.

Though it depends on individual, I've also worked in a setting where the radiologist has this mentality of "no be only x-ray dem sabi' at the end a wrong diagnosis is made in what 2 heads could have solved. Some radiologists are insecure around radiographers and vice versa. So also in other professions and depts.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Madas1986(m): 2:49pm On Dec 25, 2021
profndu:
Professional politics will continue to keep Nigeria in the stone age. Omicron case started in Nigeria but was discovered in South Africa.. A particular profession wanted to dominate everything just to create job for her unborn generations. The term Medical lab is a selfish-colonization of the field Diagonostic Lab. You can't narrow a broad field to a single department. A field consisting of chemical pathology, parasitology, hematology, microbiology, histology of which each also has branches was narrowed down to a course of greediness called med lab.. The main reason why research in medical field is dead in Nigeria. Specialization is also dead by this act of greediness.. Microbiology alone has more than 3 branches not limited to Immunology, bateriology, virology etc.. One greedy council got these various courses together and call it medical lab.. How can the potentials of these courses by exploited just by tip studying them to carryout lab test only, where is the research that comes from deep knowledge of a course? Med lab has destroyed potentials of these fields that forms the bed rock of medical research, they only touch the cover of each of these courses to become test based medlab. Let there be freedom in all fields of life and you will see that people who started microbiology independently from year one will have many things to offer in that course more than those who study the cover alongside other courses and combine them to answer medlab. Politics will bury Nigeria.
microbiologist are call scientific officer in hospital and Research sector they should contribute their Quota from there
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by saintneo(m): 2:51pm On Dec 25, 2021
toyini1234:
What pg courses do you guys suggest I go for?
I am thinking MSC in chemical pathology , medical biochemistry or medical microbiology

Go to the US and look for an MLS club Major League Soccer....lol. That's what I thought at first sight.

Nonetheless, do you like lab work? Try going for MSC in medical biochem first.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Cousin9999: 3:00pm On Dec 25, 2021
Whatever you do, you have an excellent goal. Let us know what you decide on.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Edomi: 3:03pm On Dec 25, 2021
Esji80:
What of Microbiology graduates to MLS
Get a DE form then apply for MLS. If you scale through, you'd start from 200l.
Aside this, no other short cut.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Unigrad: 3:24pm On Dec 25, 2021
treatise:

This na advice abi adversity?
The truth is bitter.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Unigrad: 3:25pm On Dec 25, 2021
scopp:
Stop giving wrong information.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Unigrad: 3:31pm On Dec 25, 2021
For all, you know you want to be a Medical Laboratory Scientist, why not chase after it from the beginning instead of doing other course and looking for shortcut to be a Medical Laboratory Scientist. I know of some persons who wrote jamb and postutme 3 to 4 times respectively to study MLS, they know what they want and they chased after it from the beginning. The health of every individuals is paramount, if you know you want to be MLS, is not too late, 40years old individuals are still doing MLS. Go for what you want and don't encourage shortcut.
Someone said you should go to other Africa countries to go do the conversion, note: all foreign graduates, before they are certified, they will go for another training here in Nigeria for a year or more, they will pay a fee for the training before you can be certified as MLS.

2 Likes

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by bennyflipy(m): 3:36pm On Dec 25, 2021
emerich:

You are a wise and informed fellow my guy, those aforementioned courses aren't entire useless but they are worthless in the health sector cause they hardly fit in anywhere just few hospitals that may recruit them as scientific officers in the lab to be causing headache to the lab scientists.
these courses are purely research based, research is practically dead in this country, that's why i tag them useless.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Samcent: 3:38pm On Dec 25, 2021
profndu:
Professional politics will continue to keep Nigeria in the stone age. Omicron case started in Nigeria but was discovered in South Africa.. A particular profession wanted to dominate everything just to create job for her unborn generations. The term Medical lab is a selfish-colonization of the field Diagonostic Lab. You can't narrow a broad field to a single department. A field consisting of chemical pathology, parasitology, hematology, microbiology, histology of which each also has branches was narrowed down to a course of greediness called med lab.. The main reason why research in medical field is dead in Nigeria. Specialization is also dead by this act of greediness.. Microbiology alone has more than 3 branches not limited to Immunology, bateriology, virology etc.. One greedy council got these various courses together and call it medical lab.. How can the potentials of these courses by exploited just by tip studying them to carryout lab test only, where is the research that comes from deep knowledge of a course? Med lab has destroyed potentials of these fields that forms the bed rock of medical research, they only touch the cover of each of these courses to become test based medlab. Let there be freedom in all fields of life and you will see that people who started microbiology independently from year one will have many things to offer in that course more than those who study the cover alongside other courses and combine them to answer medlab. Politics will bury Nigeria.

Well spoken!

I work in the public health sector. Most of the health professionals are more interested in the work politics than adding value to the system. I fear the situation is not going to improve any time soon.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Marine50(m): 3:55pm On Dec 25, 2021
Young042galaxy:

All I see is a bittered doctor trying to cause a fight.
Biochemistry is different from Medlab.
1)One is under faculty of natural science while one is in faculty of medical sciences .
2) Biochemistry is 4yrs course while medlab is 5yrs.
3) medlab have knowledge of Anatomy, biochemistry and physiology which biochemistry graduates lack.
Most nurses are clinically sound than physicians and it still won't make them to cut corners to start practicing as a physician.
I don’t know you but I like you
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Viraltrends123: 4:50pm On Dec 25, 2021
profndu:
It's not greediness. Just like pharmacy was under medical and surgery, about 70 years ago, they realized that it's too broad, so the created the course, will you prefer it to be under medicine, same thing with MLS, about 50 years ago, medical doctors do everything, they treat both man and animals sef. So, MLS was removed from medicine, same thing with Veterinary medicine. It's not greediness, even abroad, they are called clinical lab scientist, it's the standard. If MLS is too broad for lab scientist what will you say about medicine that has about 30 department,even nursing is broader than MLS. Even law. It's a world standard, not nigeria standard

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Young042galaxy: 5:05pm On Dec 25, 2021
MrFinbarr:

You are such a complete idiot to make such statement. Nurse more clinically sound than a physician? Oh my goodness!!!

This is the most idiotic sentence I've ever heard in a long time. You definitely need an urgent break check. Such a dumb ass!!!
You are the stupid idiotic slowpoke here.
Una pride and arrogancy is the worst disease affecting health care services in Nigeria.
Shebi your offense is that I said that some nurses are clinically sound than some physicians forgetting that ur collegue want to compare Medlab to Biochemistry?
And yes I will defend that anywhere u want.
You think am talking about those nurse Elisa you ppl are training?
Go n meet a clinically sound BnSc nursing science and see if they won't trash most of you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by osazsky(m): 5:09pm On Dec 25, 2021
PitexyBaba:
Suggest a Msc program for Bsc holder in Botany... 2:2
what of crop science.i know of a lady that used it to work in a bank
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by giovanna(f): 5:21pm On Dec 25, 2021
Go back and get your Jamb form when admitted to study MLS then we can talk.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Maze90(m): 5:28pm On Dec 25, 2021
shocked
Young042galaxy:

Una pride and arrogancy is the worst disease affecting health care services in Nigeria.
Shebi your offense is that I said that some nurses are clinically sound than some physicians forgetting that ur collegue want to compare Medlab to Biochemistry?
Go n meet a clinically sound BnSc nursing science and see if they won't trash most of you.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by komols856: 5:46pm On Dec 25, 2021
bennyflipy:
A biochemistry graduate cannot become an MLS professional, go and get a DE form or buy UTME.

I'm a microbiologist with my masters but I'm getting a DE form next year for Radiography.
Microbiology, biochemistry and the likes are useless courses in this country.

They are not useless. There are other many places of repute to work in . Must you work in the hospital before you become Rich.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by LLiKYekoba: 5:47pm On Dec 25, 2021
subzeroth:

Lol .baba a 200level medical student knows that D/W is the standard abbreviation for dextrose in water and a 400l medical student can carry out PCV test.
but u see this your "DW patient" , i dare you to tell everyone the meaning of the abbreviation in medicine here for everyone on nairaland to see

I'm not telling you olodo, if you had spent more time learning your Chem path and Clin micro instead of looking for avenues to insult Clincal scientists you wouldn't be this confused.

I'm waiting for you tell us it has no medical meaning so I can make you look like a public buffoon and a waste of medical school fees. grin
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by komols856: 5:48pm On Dec 25, 2021
Young042galaxy:

All I see is a bittered doctor trying to cause a fight.
Biochemistry is different from Medlab.
1)One is under faculty of natural science while one is in faculty of medical sciences .
2) Biochemistry is 4yrs course while medlab is 5yrs.
3) medlab have knowledge of Anatomy, biochemistry and physiology which biochemistry graduates lack.
Most nurses are clinically sound than physicians and it still won't make them to cut corners to start practicing as a physician.

They are all waste of time. Geta digital skills and earn higher than them all including Doctor

1 Like

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Cmanforall: 5:48pm On Dec 25, 2021
yunqdady:

Don't go and write IELTS and Plab. Be doing local champion there
What are you saying?
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by yunqdady: 5:58pm On Dec 25, 2021
Cmanforall:

What are you saying?
Stop pretending
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by LLiKYekoba: 6:05pm On Dec 25, 2021
profndu:

Stop hyperventilating, Medical laboratory Science is a broader field and not just a department but a faculty and even a college of its own in many countries.

There are medical scientists trained as specialists in all those fields you've mentioned in both Nigeria and abroad.
They are in Immunology, parasitology, molecular pathology, Chem path, Virology, histopath, histochemistry, hematology, mycology, clinical embryology etc. Trainings are done even up to doctoral levels.

Google IBMS specialist training in the UK. Go to see Linkedin and see Nigeria-trained Clinical Scientists grabbing UK NHS medical laboratory jobs.

Nowhere will you be allowed to you touch medical samples for analysis if you are not medically trained to do so.
The days where every Tom, Dick and Harry can enter the lab and start releasing ridiculous, laughable and embarrasing results in the name of 'Medical Laboratory Scientist' are over.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by LLiKYekoba: 6:09pm On Dec 25, 2021
Young042galaxy:

Tell him to compare a fresh house officer in Nigeria with a US Nurse who is a DNP and tell us who is more clinically sound.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Legendforte: 6:30pm On Dec 25, 2021
Viraltrends123:
Which year does bch students start doing anatomy and physiology??
educate yourself. Bcm is the bedrock of all medical sciences.
Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Desdola(m): 6:33pm On Dec 25, 2021
Omniknoweth. 99% machine and your pathologist are still dragging the field with them. Just as arrogant as your lot
subzeroth:

A fight that they will never win. Imagine medlab scientist fighting against pathologist ..medlab scientist that uses 99% machines and 1% brain to carry out their work, people dat can hardly interpret the simplest of results

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional? by Viraltrends123: 7:03pm On Dec 25, 2021
Legendforte:

educate yourself. Bcm is the bedrock of all medical sciences.
I asked a simple question, I'm not in the medical field, I just want to know what year BCH students start doing anatomy and physiology.

Even anatomy and physiology are also bedrock of medical sciences. Without anatomy or physiology, there won't be anything like medical sciences.

So, just answer my question?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

721 persons secured FG employment with fake certificates in six agencies / Nigeria And Cameroon Rank 4th And 5th In The World For Employee Well-being / Mtn Test Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.