Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,553 members, 7,809,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo (2920 Views)

Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo / Insecurity Has Driven Anambra/igbo People Away, Says Soludo / Elombah.com Says Soludo Implicated In Polymer Naira Notes Bribery Scandal! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Omooba77: 2:03pm On Jun 15, 2011
Children of the poor can’t break even, says Soludo

Former Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Governor, Prof Charles Soludo, yesterday, lamented that poverty is becoming a norm in the country,  as the children of the poor have no hope of breaking even, unless governments take urgent step to check the trend.

Solodu, who was the guest speaker at the 10th year memorial and inauguration of the foundation/book presentation in honour of the late Chief Ben Nwazojie, SAN, added that about five to eight per cent of Nigerians control over 90 per cent of the country’s wealth, while the rest struggle to survive.

He regretted that education, which served as a vehicle for bridging the gap between the rich and the poor, as children of both attended the same school, is now endangered because  the poor are forced to attend public schools which lack chairs and desks, while the children of the rich attend expensive private schools, thereby eliminating the hope of bridging the gap.

He said that the rich should not be too comfortable with their wealth while failing to give back to the society, adding that things are getting to a point in the country where the rich will not sleep because the poor are awake and “it is also getting to a point where the children of the rich can’t walk the streets because of the anger of children of the poor.”

He changed the rich and wealthy Nigerians to consider investing in the society, otherwise, the same society will be a hindrance to the enjoyment of their wealth.

Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State, Justice Adolphus Karibi-Whyte, Chief Tony Idigbe, SAN, were among dignitaries at the event.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/children-of-the-poor-cant-break-even-says-soludo/
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Omooba77: 2:10pm On Jun 15, 2011
They have not seen anger,by the time all the children sent abroad with ill gotten wealth returns,they will not be able to walk on the pothole filled roads!
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Omooba77: 2:21pm On Jun 15, 2011
Thank God the so called rich are calling themselves to order!
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Omooba77: 2:36pm On Jun 15, 2011
I know Nlers no go comment,because some of us are beneficiary of the goodies.
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Pukkah: 2:39pm On Jun 15, 2011
You are right on point Soludo! But the people too are their own enemies.  Instead of putting their government under pressure and ask searching questions, they regurgitate cliches like 'God put him there', 'God will judge', 'He's God's choice' , 'he's my kinsman', 'when you get there, remember me oh', 'it's his time', 'if na me sef I go chop pass dat one', etc
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by DisGuy: 2:53pm On Jun 15, 2011
Pukkah:

You are right on point Soludo! But the people too are their own enemies.  Instead of putting their government under pressure and ask searching questions, they regurgitate cliches like 'God put him there', 'God will judge', 'He's God's choice' , 'he's my kinsman', 'when you get there, remember me oh', 'it's his time', 'if na me sef I go chop pass dat one', etc

but that's because they have been denied education to they cant see past the cliches these criminals push down their throat,
Education should be made compulsory and Free, many poeple are against this even in the basic form as announced by some governor recently
saying free education wont make the students serious- in many countries in Europe education is free. The govt should increase taxes so they can pay for it
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by kasiem(m): 4:44pm On Jun 15, 2011
Pukkah:

yes, u are okay. The problem can also be located in the area of sports. Some poor men have allowed themselves to be slaves of european sports, whereby, a child who'll be having hooking exam that'll be coming his will invest his time in knowing name of foreign players at the detriment of exam, at the end the flair that God bestowed on him will be profligated. A person's background is one of the factors that suppose to spur him into attaining the apogee of his career, but, here we are left at the mercy of "God will provide". And the rich have taken advantage of that our ignorance and indolency to manipulate us ruthlessly. Again, how can u come and cast ur vote for a politician whose children are all schooling abroad, when ur school is on strike due to his (the politician) inefficiency and avarice? It's hightime we thought.
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by talktrue1(m): 8:57am On Jun 16, 2011
“it is also getting to a point where the children of the rich can’t walk the streets because of the anger of children of the poor.”
This is exactly what is happening now. Only that the poor are also been affected. think of the Kidnapping, Boko haram, and the bombing.

Imagine someone depositing N1b in Swiss account or using N50m to buy a car, if he opens a company in Nigeria with such amount, do you know the amount it will be generating everyday and the no. of graduates that will be employed. God will help us
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by dontsin: 9:07am On Jun 16, 2011
It is easier said than done. Mr Soludo when u were in power how many people lives did u impact on? What and what did you invest in your society. Now you are claiming saint, that the rich should start investing in their society. Nice! Good idea! I think it will be too nice if we can start from you. You first take the lead and others will follow suit
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by kasiem(m): 9:08am On Jun 16, 2011
A new clause will be enshrined in our constitution, "no freedom for the rich".
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by kasiem(m): 9:12am On Jun 16, 2011
dontsin:

It is easier said than done. Mr Soludo when u were in power how many people lives did u impact on? What and what did you invest in your society. Now you are claiming saint, that the rich should start investing in their society. Nice! Good idea! I think it will be too nice if we can start from you. You first take the lead and others will follow suit
have ever inquired to the level of his altruism? Stop being otiosely iconoclastic. For ur information, soludo offers scholarship regularly in his hometown.
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by edoyad(m): 9:26am On Jun 16, 2011
I advise we impose the one child policy in Nigeria just like was done in China. If not you'll continue to see these things being exported to other parts of Nigeria
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by dontsin: 9:30am On Jun 16, 2011
have ever inquired to the level of his altruism? Stop being otiosely iconoclastic. For your information, soludo offers scholarship regularly in his hometown.[table][/table]

He was doing that because of his pilitical ambition
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by ufumes(m): 9:32am On Jun 16, 2011
Hmmm, its been a while that Soludo came out to public spotlight. Where has he been?
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Pukkah: 9:36am On Jun 16, 2011
dontsin:

What exactly did you expect him to do? Was/is he a successful businessman? Or did you simply assumed that he must have embezzled funds which he should now invest in Nigeria?
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Syenite(m): 9:48am On Jun 16, 2011
"He regretted that education, which served as a vehicle for bridging the gap between the rich and the poor, as children of both attended the same school, is now endangered because the poor are forced to attend public schools which lack chairs and desks, while the children of the rich attend expensive private schools, thereby eliminating the hope of bridging the gap."

That is the point.When I was in Primary and Secondary School.You could have the son of a carpenter share the same class room desk with the son of a Bank manager. We had equal treatment. I was from a poor background but I had friends whose parents were rich. So then it was normal to have the rich in the midst of the poor without any threats.

Now the gap is just so wide that the only time poor children see rich children is when the rich kids are driven pass in their fathers air-conditioned cars.

If this trend is not checked, 9 and 10 year olds will soon start kidnapping rich men's children too.
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by chrishenzo: 10:10am On Jun 16, 2011
Soludo got it completely wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the rich people struggled so hard(in a geniue way) before they can rich where they are now. Who are we to tell them how to enjoy their money. I am not denying that not investing in the community is not a nice to do thing but when you wake up and start saying that the children of the rich cannot walk the street because of the children of the poor then you have to think again! If this is coming from the mouth of Soludo, I am completely disappointed in his speech.

Sometimes I have to spend the whole night working on a project that I believe will soon be an open door to the land of riches and happy life. Most weeks I live only on groundnuts just to save money for the project. By Grace of God, if I succeed tomorrow, do you blame me for another man's life? Everyman owes to the society not only the rich. The poor can become rich by thinking the right way. History is full of stories of men and women who have achieved it despite all the hard times.

Soludo if you put the blame on the government, I may agree with you to some extend but the moment you start pointing fingers to the rich citizens who for once have never have access to government house, then you are own your own.
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by DisGuy: 10:12am On Jun 16, 2011
^^^he is obviously taking about Government, vast majority of rich people are linked to the government anyway
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Skii(m): 10:18am On Jun 16, 2011
Pukkah:

GBAM!
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by obailala(m): 10:33am On Jun 16, 2011
Pukkah:

^^This is the exact problem with Nigeria

Dis Guy:

but that's because they have been denied education to they cant see past the cliches these criminals push down their throat,
Education should be made compulsory and Free, many poeple are against this even in the basic form as announced by some governor recently
saying free education wont make the students serious- in many countries in Europe education is free. The govt should increase taxes so they can pay for it

@Dis Guy,
I totally disagree with your statement. Majority of the people described above are well educated. We see lots of them here on NL
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by DisGuy: 10:40am On Jun 16, 2011
I'm talking mainly about the millions that actually pour out to vote, i agree there are those on NL but they have very little influence on those that do the voting
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by ideylaff: 10:54am On Jun 16, 2011
have ever inquired to the level of his altruism? Stop being otiosely iconoclastic. For your information, soludo offers scholarship regularly in his hometown

Baba @ Kasieem, wetin we carry wetin u throw, are u Wole Soyinkas Cousin, ds Englis is too much 4 ds early morning oooo, wink cheesy
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by canuck(m): 11:42am On Jun 16, 2011
These days, there are fewer places to hide cash and live-off ill-gotten wealth, Investing in SAPETRO Nigeria is the way to go.
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by calyx: 12:05pm On Jun 16, 2011
Obi, Soludo agree on adoption of schools

Anambra State governor, Peter Obi, has has expressed his support for the idea of former Central Bank governor, Chukwuma Soludo, on the adoption of schools by wealthy individuals in the communities.

Meeting formally for the first time since both men slugged it out in the bitterly contested 2010 Anambra governorship election won by him, Mr Obi agreed with Mr Soludo's idea and expressed his readiness to encourage wealthy Anambra people to adopt schools in their communities as a way of giving back to society what they have gained.

The occasion was the launch of the biography of Ben Nwazojie (SAN), held to commemorate the 10th year of the death of the jurist and the launch of the Ben Nwazojie Foundation at the Nigeria Institute of International Affairs, Victoria Island, Lagos.

The guest speaker, Charles Soludo, said wealthy people in the society should adopt schools in their localities instead of lavishing their wealth on inanities.

But Mr Obi, whose friendship with Mr Soludo had been strained by the latter's energetic campaign to win the 2010 elections, commended the idea as a good one.

"The Anambra State government would quickly devise a legal and conceptual framework on how the adoption would take place and send letters to wealthy people from Anambra to adopt schools," Mr Obi said.

In the absence of any defined framework yet, the governor said that the adoption would entail the adopter taking care of the schools, making sure they are in good shape, and providing other services that might be necessary.

"It is infinitely better for humanity and more satisfying to people when they deploy their wealth to things that will add value to the state, including education, rather than deploy them for epicurean indulgence," Mr Obi said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5716503-146/story.csp
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jun 16, 2011
This is the best speech i ever read this year. This tells me that these politicians know what they are  doing. Should it be that evil spirit engulf them once in office?

@ chrishenzo
you are an ignoramus
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by AjanleKoko: 12:09pm On Jun 16, 2011
chrishenzo:

Soludo got it completely wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the rich people struggled so hard(in a geniue way) before they can rich where they are now. Who are we to tell them how to enjoy their money. I am not denying that not investing in the community is not a nice to do thing but when you wake up and start saying that the children of the rich cannot walk the street because of the children of the poor then you have to think again! If this is coming from the mouth of Soludo, I am completely disappointed in his speech.

Sometimes I have to spend the whole night working on a project that I believe will soon be an open door to the land of riches and happy life. Most weeks I live only on groundnuts just to save money for the project. By Grace of God, if I succeed tomorrow, do you blame me for another man's life? Everyman owes to the society not only the rich. The poor can become rich by thinking the right way. History is full of stories of men and women who have achieved it despite all the hard times.

Soludo if you put the blame on the government, I may agree with you to some extend but the moment you start pointing fingers to the rich citizens who for once have never have access to government house, then you are own your own.

Seriously??
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 16, 2011
I know couple of wealthy people that will rather donate to churches where their names will be annouced and people will start praising them.True philantropy is lacking in Nigeria and our so called politicians are not interested in doing anything for the common man.what they will say behind you is ''If everybody is rich,who will open the gate for them''.
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by 2dmax(m): 12:47pm On Jun 16, 2011
But even soludu rich na!
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by mowapa(m): 1:04pm On Jun 16, 2011
I know couple of wealthy people that will rather donate to churches where their names will be annouced and people will start praising them.True philantropy is lacking in Nigeria and our so called politicians are not interested in doing anything for the common man.what they will say behind you is ''If everybody is rich,who will open the gate for them''.

IF THAT BE THE CASE, WE SHOULD COMMENCE NAME PRAISING TO SPUR THE RICH WHEN THEY DONATE, START HERE ON NL
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Pukkah: 1:10pm On Jun 16, 2011
chrishenzo:

Don't you think that it is in the interest of the rich to reduce poverty in the land, regardless of how they became rich?  This is because they stand to lose the most in case of any chaos or unrest.  When crime rate rises, which is also a function of unemployment, the rich also cry more than the poor because they are the target.

In view of this, even if it for selfish reasons, is it not expedient for the rich to be interested in how the poor are doing?

In any case, I do not think Soludo's diatribe was directed at the rich.  He was specific that ", as the children of the poor have no hope of breaking even, unless governments take urgent step to check the trend" and advised that "the rich should not be too comfortable with their wealth while failing to give back to the society, adding that things are getting to a point in the country where the rich will not sleep because the poor are awake."

What's wrong in his submission please?
Re: Children Of The Poor Can’t Break Even, Says Soludo by Pukkah: 1:11pm On Jun 16, 2011
2dmax:

But even soludu rich na!

What is his net worth please?

(1) (2) (Reply)

30 Dead In Ukeh Anambra State After APGA Thugs Invaded. / A Prophecy From A Pastor In The United Kingdom For Our Great Nation, Nigeria. / Checkout How Doyin Okupe Responded To A Nairalander Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.