Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. (32826 Views)

Dear Developers: How Do You Keep Yourself Motivated. / Share Your Remote Job Experience As A Developer / Nigerian Developers How Did You Master Algorithm And Problem Solving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Hannania(m): 10:22am On Dec 26, 2021
Hello Developers in the house. Seeing that a lot of aspiring developers are here, I thought of opening this thread to give our experienced Developers a chance to share and inspire aspiring developers through the following questions been answered.

1. How long did it take you to learn, before you got your first remote job

2. What was the pay

3. Finally, give some times on things you'd do differently if you were to start all over.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Mkingz(m): 5:28pm On Jan 02, 2022
I’ll appreciate answers to this thread as I’m starting out my dev journey..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 03, 2022
Hannania:

Skip: You can learn from being an intermediate in 3 months.
If you're an absolute beginner, 6 months or more will do.

Hannania:

2. What was the pay

Well, my first remote gig was 1/4 of a mil /month naira equivalent. It was a short 2 and half month process.

Hannania:

3. Finally, give some times on things you'd do differently if you were to start all over.

I would never have learnt C# or .Net. I would stick to JavaScript and all the shades of it.
Then, I'll adopt Google Dev Ecosystem rather than Microsoft.

62 Likes 9 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by codeigniter(m): 5:10pm On Jan 03, 2022
Ovaltine:

Well, my first remote gig was 1/4 of a mil /month naira equivalent. It was a short 2 and half month process.

I would never have learnt C# or .Net. I would stick to JavaScript and all the shades of it.

Thanks for sharing

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Hannania(m): 5:12pm On Jan 03, 2022
Ovaltine:

Wow, that's quite interesting. Never thought the remote gig would be 1/4 of a million. Seems like it was an internship. Overall, that's a nice step process.

For the stack field, seems Node.js(MERN stack) is king. I'm into Java though, trying to wrap my head around Spring Framework, Hibernate and SQL. That's enough for my back end path for now. Got a Gig offer recently, but I rejected it because my Learning is not up to "job" level yet. By March, I would pitch again.

Thanks for your feedback sir.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by dauddy97(m): 7:31pm On Jan 03, 2022
A good guy I met of Twitter to discuss about my life with. After keeping our friendship for some time, he recommended to someone who recommended me to someone in the US to start online programming tutorial for some selected kids. At first, it seems hard but now, that's what I'm feeding on. I'm not longer there.... But I used that experience to start up my own little online tutoring. You can always check my Data science and data analysis work on Strictly4Data.ml

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Hannania(m): 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2022
dauddy97:
A good guy I met on Twitter to discuss my life with. After keeping our friendship for some time, he recommended to someone who recommended me to someone in the US to start an online programming tutorial for some selected kids. At first, it seems hard but now, that's what I'm feeding on. I'm no longer there... But I used that experience to start up my little online tutoring. You can always check my Data science and data analysis work on Strictly4Data.ml
Another angle Entirely. That's where the valuable Networking skill comes into play.

If you don't mind, would you pinpoint approaches to connect and maintain such relationships online? As there are various means, yours would surely be different.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by AustainoPatrick(m): 11:13pm On Feb 23, 2022
Hannania:
Wow, that's quite interesting. Never thought the remote gig would be 1/4 of a million. Seems like it was an internship. Overall, that's a nice step process.

For the stack field, seems Node.js(MERN stack) is king. I'm into Java though, trying to wrap my head around Spring Framework, Hibernate and SQL. That's enough for my back end path for now. Got a Gig offer recently, but I rejected it because my Learning is not up to "job" level yet. By March, I would pitch again.

Thanks for your feedback sir.

Please how did you get the internship,
Like the process it took you?

2 Likes

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Hannania(m): 3:38am On Feb 25, 2022
AustainoPatrick:

Please how did you get the internship,
Like the process it took you?
Try to have a good LinkedIn profile, and apply for available jobs.

For my strategy, when I so see an opening, I add the recruiter to my connections(using LinkedIn premium) then message them on my interest to work with their firm and how well my profile fits.

For the Top paying one's, be ready to solve data structures and algorithms problems..

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by DropsMic(m): 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2022
Here to learn
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Omicron007: 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2022
shocked
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Omicron007: 3:03pm On Feb 25, 2022
shocked

Please, we are not talking about the other type of developers here, we are talking about the real developers.

Be guided.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by talk2hb1(m): 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2022
1)LinkedIn,
2) lipsrsealed
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by McOluOmo: 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2022
Self employed and loving it

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by fineboynl(m): 3:06pm On Feb 25, 2022
Why do you want to know?
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by CotenantNIG: 3:06pm On Feb 25, 2022
mine
i have two remote jobs as a marketing manager

i got referred by a friend for one in the usa
Earn commission 12%
i was reluctant for this earlier but my friend made me see reasons that it was better

while the other is from uk , i got an email from them concerning building a website
Saw their whatsapp line, sent them a message on how i can handle their email marketing and i was offered a job
this comes with a salary

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by debossng: 3:06pm On Feb 25, 2022
H
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by temmypotter(m): 3:07pm On Feb 25, 2022
Applied online, Started with 30k USD. Now at 54k

9 Likes

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by slapandfall(m): 3:10pm On Feb 25, 2022
Quite a number of options.
1. LinkedIn : For me, i prefer applying on the company's career page directly. So after seeing the ad on Linkedln, i go the company website, view their career page and apply from there.

Atleast to avoid Linkedln (man in the middle).

Most times, the career page is under "About Us" or on the footer. Sometimes on its own though.

2. Here is a list of companies Hiring at least in Europe (i compiled it in 2020)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WMjwxMXcsIycNxcAfxzdiGtEcRKsRs6izIRZ-O15IbQ/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully it helps someone. NB: it is not an exhaustive list.

Open the careers page, check for roles you fit in, apply directly on the career's page.

3. Be open for interviews,

4. You can even relocate to Europe based on job once you are employed. Pretty easy.

5. Recommendations from friends and Good luck

27 Likes 14 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Embell: 3:11pm On Feb 25, 2022
D
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ryabcool(m): 3:12pm On Feb 25, 2022
temmypotter:
Applied online, Started with 30k USD. Now at 54k
wow God when
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ofadaman(m): 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2022
First job: 2,700$ monthly
Skills: Full stack web dev and web 3.0

JavaScript, html/css , react, Django ,python, databases (four actually) , php, nodejs , java

Moved into data science and engineering
First job: 3,120$ monthly
Skills: AI/ML, MLops, data engineering

Python, R, Pyspark, tensor flows , sql, stats/maths,and ML algorithms, deep learning, image recognition, AI, reinforcement learning ,graphs.

Moving into Blockchain now

Skills needed: Solidity ,web 3.0, blochchain dev, hyper ledgers and cryptography
Exp. Pay:. 8,500$ monthly

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by eltalentino(m): 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2022
Ovaltine:

Can you explain more on this?

1 Like

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Larrykaysail(m): 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2022
Hannania:
Hello Developers in the house. Seeing that a lot of aspiring developers are here, I thought of opening this thread to give our experienced Developers a chance to share and inspire aspiring developers through the following questions been answered.

2. What was the pay

ETL developer ??

Any SQL Database administrator here ??

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Google Launches First Developer Space In Nigeria / OAU Engineering Students Build 'HUMANE' A Software For The Visually-impaired / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.