Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. (32827 Views)

Dear Developers: How Do You Keep Yourself Motivated. / Share Your Remote Job Experience As A Developer / Nigerian Developers How Did You Master Algorithm And Problem Solving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Hannania(m): 1:35pm On Feb 27, 2022
kindakuz:
please as a novice how long can I start practising it. I mean months or years before I start applying for jobs
This question has a relative answer depending on background, IQ level and access to the right info. But here's what applies to an average person in 6 months:

1. First decide if you want to venture into the front end or back end. You might even have an interest in UI/UX, so make your research and ask questions.

2. Learn the following based on your choice:

Front end(Html, CSS, Javascript, and a framework(React, Angular or Vue.js)

Backend ( a little touch of HTML, JavaScript/Python, PHP or Java. Then pick a framework(Node.js, Django, Laravel or spring respectively for the languages above)......then learn Git/GitHub and a database(MySQL, PostgreSQL). At this point for the backend, a mentor will tell you from where to go or get an internship.

6 months of dedicated practice can get your fit in the door, then you build from there.

PS: Your learning should be with one goal, Building projects and growing your portfolio. If you want to get Juicy jobs even for entry-level, Crack Data Structures and algorithms, you'll be above your peers.

As you can see, learning depends on various factors

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by DrBrainstorm(m): 5:57pm On Feb 27, 2022
Hannania:
This question has a relative answer depending on background, IQ level and access to the right info. But here's what applies to an average person in 6 months:

1. First decide if you want to venture into the front end or back end. You might even have an interest in UI/UX, so make your research and ask questions.

Backend ( a little touch of HTML, JavaScript/Python, PHP or Java. Then pick a framework(Node.js, Django, Laravel or spring respectively for the languages above)......then learn Git/GitHub and a database(MySQL, PostgreSQL). At this point for the backend, a mentor will tell you from where to go or get an internship.

6 months of dedicated practice can get your fit in the door, then you build from there.

PS: Your learning should be with one goal, Building projects and growing your portfolio. If you want to get Juicy jobs even for entry-level, Crack Data Structures and algorithms, you'll be above your peers.

What do you think about learning C#/.net in 2022 instead of going the Javascript/php/python route?
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Nobody: 6:09am On Feb 28, 2022
Hannania:

Thanks for the response am looking at the back end
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Hannania(m): 1:26pm On Feb 28, 2022
DrBrainstorm:

What do you think about learning C#/.net in 2022 instead of going the Javascript/php/python route?
No language is useless or has "less prospect". It's all about you mastering your domain, and keep developing.

When you learn C#, you'd easily get Entry role based on your knowledge not the technology. When you're employed, the firm would tell you to pick their stack. That's why they check for program proficiency and not much of mastery in entry level roles.

So pick a language and get good with it by proving you can build projects.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Pilopher: 3:55pm On Feb 28, 2022
Ofadaman:
First job: 2,700$ monthly
Skills: Full stack web dev and web 3.0

JavaScript, html/css , react, Django ,python, databases (four actually) , php, nodejs , java

Moved into data science and engineering
First job: 3,120$ monthly
Skills: AI/ML, MLops, data engineering

Python, R, Pyspark, tensor flows , sql, stats/maths,and ML algorithms, deep learning, image recognition, AI, reinforcement learning ,graphs.

Moving into Blockchain now

Skills needed: Solidity ,web 3.0, blochchain dev, hyper ledgers and cryptography
Exp. Pay:. 8,500$ monthly
Hi. I would love to ask you some things I you don't mind

2 Likes

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ofadaman(m): 4:09pm On Feb 28, 2022
Pilopher:

Hi. I would love to ask you some things I you don't mind

Sure pls ask...
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by DrBrainstorm(m): 7:03pm On Feb 28, 2022
Hannania:
No language is useless or has "less prospect". It's all about you mastering your domain, and keep developing.

When you learn C#, you'd easily get Entry role based on your knowledge not the technology. When you're employed, the firm would tell you to pick their stack. That's why they check for program proficiency and not much of mastery in entry level roles.

So pick a language and get good with it by proving you can build projects.
OK, thanks for your response.
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by AustainoPatrick(m): 10:44pm On Feb 28, 2022
Hannania:
Linkedin is king.

My LinkedIn account is banned temporary,
I tried retifying it but I couldn't. I uploaded my ID card and it was rejected stating that I should use my passport and I don't have an international passport

Please do you know how I can retify the problem
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ebuka5: 12:46am On Mar 01, 2022
Hannania:
Wow, that's quite interesting. Never thought the remote gig would be 1/4 of a million. Seems like it was an internship. Overall, that's a nice step process.

For the stack field, seems Node.js(MERN stack) is king. I'm into Java though, trying to wrap my head around Spring Framework, Hibernate and SQL. That's enough for my back end path for now. Got a Gig offer recently, but I rejected it because my Learning is not up to "job" level yet. By March, I would pitch again.

Thanks for your feedback sir.

Where did you get the gig
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ebuka5: 12:51am On Mar 01, 2022
Larrykaysail:
ETL developer ??

Any SQL Database administrator here ??

I have finish sololearn SQL course
Can I apply
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Pilopher: 8:11pm On Mar 01, 2022
Ofadaman:

Sure pls ask...
Am new in the tech space, and I want to start learning block chain programming, what resources would you advice I start with
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Larrykaysail(m): 10:23pm On Mar 01, 2022
Ebuka5:

I have finish sololearn SQL course
Can I apply
go to indeed Nigeria, reach out to me via email my users name at yahoo

2 Likes

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by TheChrisader: 11:44pm On Mar 01, 2022
Ofadaman:
First job: 2,700$ monthly
Skills: Full stack web dev and web 3.0

JavaScript, html/css , react, Django ,python, databases (four actually) , php, nodejs , java

Moved into data science and engineering
First job: 3,120$ monthly
Skills: AI/ML, MLops, data engineering

Python, R, Pyspark, tensor flows , sql, stats/maths,and ML algorithms, deep learning, image recognition, AI, reinforcement learning ,graphs.

Moving into Blockchain now

Skills needed: Solidity ,web 3.0, blochchain dev, hyper ledgers and cryptography
Exp. Pay:. 8,500$ monthly

Wait, wait, hold up. Do you live in Nigeria, or were you earning this amount abroad? I thought companies usually dropped salaries when they hired overseas?

What sort of companies were you working for? FAANG?

Hope you don't mind the questions.
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ofadaman(m): 11:49am On Mar 02, 2022
TheChrisader:

Wait, wait, hold up. Do you live in Nigeria, or were you earning this amount abroad? I thought companies usually dropped salaries when they hired overseas?

What sort of companies were you working for? FAANG?

Hope you don't mind the questions.

I live in Nigeria , I earn in FCY , pay tax in naija and over there and the rest is mine.

Mostly tech companies, charity orgs, and low to mid tiered insurance/finance and consulting firms

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ofadaman(m): 11:55am On Mar 02, 2022
Pilopher:

Am new in the tech space, and I want to start learning block chain programming, what resources would you advice I start with

I hope the Ops and other can help more in the Blockchain space, just like you, I'm also just getting my hands in there but I can tell you what I'm in to, if that helps.

I started with understanding Blockchain itself ,the concept and all. The books that helped ,
Mastering blockchain
The Bitcoin standard
Blockchain for dummies

I'm now moving into the technicalities,here are the books I'm reading now
The Blockchain developer by Errand
Mastering etheruem and solidity
Decentralized apps and Defi

I just started on Blockchain developer

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Pilopher: 1:46pm On Mar 02, 2022
Ofadaman:

I hope the Ops and other can help more in the Blockchain space, just like you, I'm also just getting my hands in there but I can tell you what I'm in to, if that helps.

I started with understanding Blockchain itself ,the concept and all. The books that helped ,
Mastering blockchain
The Bitcoin standard
Blockchain for dummies

Thank you I really appreciate
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Eddibloc(m): 3:59pm On Mar 02, 2022
IamE:

Be it online bootcamp or physical local class. Your tutor can only guide you. The rest is in your hands.
Practice
Practice
Practice.

It's like learning to sew without climbing a machine.

As a total beginner, where do I start from? Are there free course online to start from scratch or any cheap paid website that can tutor me. I want to learn, I prefer self taught

1 Like

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Eddibloc(m): 4:48pm On Mar 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Good start. Look up Leetcode and if possible buy a premium account for him there make he dey learn. It will be the best investment in his life. Bear the cost of the premium o. Trust me you WILL NOT REGRET IT

I was around his age when I started learning coding. If you get enough Data to download videos I can share some MIT materials that he should can also use. We are talking really huge files o. 6GB, 8GB.

I have data boss, please can you share it with me �
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by IamE: 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2022
What exactly do you wanna learn.
What area.
Eddibloc:

As a total beginner, where do I start from? Are there free course online to start from scratch or any cheap paid website that can tutor me. I want to learn, I prefer self taught
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 02, 2022
temitayo315:

Don't be caught up in saying God when. Almost all developers are self taught. I have written a guide on How to learn coding for free online. You may find it helpful. https://teetaryo.com/how-to-learn-coding-for-free-online/

If you're a developer this may help you https://teetaryo.com/12-top-website-for-developers-and-programmers/
I wish to be a developer but I don't have a laptop..if u can help me with it and start teaching me I will be grateful sir
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 02, 2022
Hannania:

Thanks
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Eddibloc(m): 2:40pm On Mar 03, 2022
IamE:
What area.

Whatever is in high demand boss. I'm willing to dedicate my time and put in the best effort..

I'm a total novice, please don't mind my ignorance. What can you suggest for me bro?

Where do I start from? What do I need? What are my chances, I have a business background. No single idea of code bros...

Just guide me.. if it's not too much trouble, can I send you a dm?

Or write me eddies123obi@gmail.com

I'm grateful
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2022
IamE:
send me a pm. I will respond. Via mail
Just sent a mail
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by davidowizkid: 2:52am On Mar 05, 2022
IamE:
What area.
What are the profitables ones
I have passion for blockchain in general

1 Like

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by IamE: 7:36am On Mar 05, 2022
Start learning blockchain development
davidowizkid:

What are the profitables ones
I have passion for blockchain in general
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by DonroxyII: 12:46pm On Mar 08, 2022
Hannania:
. It's online, and cost a fortune. Our parts are different, so I'll advice you pick up something less expensive. Stutern is doing a good job, and so is decagon. But if you have the discipline, get a course from PluralSight or Udemy and be dedicated.

PS: Based your learning on projects (Building portfolios)
This is Helpful.
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by swegiedon(m): 1:56am On Mar 12, 2022
Ofadaman:

Self taught and do projects ,projects done are displayed on my page and GitHub profile then I apply for jobs.

I don't think anyone can survive in IT without the will to learn by themselves.

What did you use to learn blockchain dev
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by NeoWanZaeed(m): 9:36am On Mar 12, 2022
Hmm.

Programming and Coding...
My friend bf landed 300k job.. his friends are living large with this coding stuff.

I have absolutely no idea about it but am damn interested.

I think the most important thing is.

MENTOR and DATA also laptop.

For struggling level like this.. that's holding up to a job to survive. I hear this work is damn time consuming and stuffs like that ..

I have interest in sci -fi movies and science related stuff although am not a science student.

I am really willing to learn..

Just don't know the right path to walk.

1 Like

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2022
One Yankee Facebook for sale
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Solanaa: 12:09am On Mar 13, 2022
Ofadaman:

Mastering blockchain
The Bitcoin standard
Blockchain for dummies

Boss man, please carry me along cry cry angry
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by airsaylongcome: 4:50am On Mar 13, 2022
Ofadaman:

I live in Nigeria , I earn in FCY , pay tax in naija and over there and the rest is mine.

Mostly tech companies, charity orgs, and low to mid tiered insurance/finance and consulting firms

Pay tax? Are you hired as a full-time employee?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Google Launches First Developer Space In Nigeria / OAU Engineering Students Build 'HUMANE' A Software For The Visually-impaired / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.