Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,852 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume (1045 Views)

'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War / Igboho Wept Like A Child, His Wife Was Crying Too - Lawyer / Doyin Okupe: I Wept The Day I Found Out My Son, Bolu Is Gay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by christistruth01: 7:39pm On Dec 26, 2021
cool

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/12/ojukwu-wept-under-my-shoulder-for-forgiveness-over-role-in-war-%E2%80%95-amb-ukume/amp/

Vanguard News

Ojukwu wept under my shoulder for forgiveness over role in war ― Amb Ukume
December 26, 2021

Print

Biafra: Ojukwu accepted Shagari's condition to be stripped of military status for amnesty ― Amb Ukume
Mr Odumegwu Ojukwu
Explains how he convinced Shehu Shagari to grant Ojukwu pardon
By Joseph Erunke
Biafra movement warlord, Odumegwu Ojukwu

NIGERIAN Ambassador to Cote D’Ivoire during late President Shehu Shagari’s administration, Denis Ukume, has disclosed that late Biafra warlord, Odumegwu Ojukwu, wept under his shoulder for forgiveness over role in war.

The 83-year-old claimed Ojukwu agreed to Shagari’s condition to be referred to simply as “Mr” without any military insignia if he (Ojukwu) would be granted pardon for his role in the Nigerian Civil War.

But he said Ojukwu almost marred his chances of being accorded the amnesty when he flouted the condition a few hours after by referring to himself as “General Odumegwu Ojukwu”, in an appreciation letter he wrote to him following his role in the amnesty deal.

Ukume’s claims were contained in his book, titled: “I believe”, which he published among three others, launched in Abuja.

His three other books also launched alongside, were titled, “My Challenges”, Osofinco and Mamma Mia”, respectively.

In the published book, the former Nigerian ambassador also said the then National Party of Nigeria, NPN, had made efforts to frustrate the granting of amnesty to Ojukwu if he would not join the party upon return to Nigeria but that his firm opposition to the party’s leadership condition, led to the amnesty for the late Biafran leader.

“When the Executive Committee members of the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, got wind about the progress being made in connection with the granting of amnesty to Ojukwu, they quickly sent a powerful delegation to me.

“They requested that under no circumstances should amnesty be given to Ojukwu unless he gave an unequivocal undertaking that he would enroll as a member of the NPN on return. I told them clearly that their demand was unacceptable. I reported the matter to the president.

“Weeks later, I traveled to Lagos to inform the president that I was convinced beyond any doubt that Ojukwu was thoroughly remorseful for all that had happened during the civil war. I then recommended he be granted amnesty.

“The president accepted my recommendation. He dispatched the Minister of Internal Affairs, Ali Baba, and the Director-General of National Security Organisation, NSO, Alhaji Umaru Shinkafi with a list of conditions governing the granting of the amnesty.

“They were as follows: That no one would force him to join a political party. The government, however, advised that on his return, he should conduct a thorough overview of the political parties in the country with any of his choice; that his personal protection like those of all Nigerians was guaranteed under the Nigerian constitution; that he should not own a privately armed body for is protection,” he said.

Other conditions by Shagari to Ojukwu, according to Amb Ukume, were, “That he was returning to Nigeria as a Mr Odumegwu Ojukwu with no military insignia attached to his name; that his properties or those of his relations that had been confiscated as a result of a decree or edict remained the properties of government; that his properties or those of his relations occupied by government and rents not paid would be fully paid to date and that if those conditions were acceptable to him, the president would consider granting him amnesty.”

Ukume said: “Accompanied by the Minister and the Director-General, I took the conditions to a high-profile meeting of the Ivorian governing party which was convened by the president.

“I read the conditions one after the other. Ojukwu accepted all of them. Finally, we then went to a meeting of the Ivorian Executive Council. As the Minister, the DG, and I embraced him in turns, he broke down and wept profusely,” he claimed.

Ukume continued: “Shortly after the delegation had returned to Nigeria, I invited Ojukwu and his wife to the residence for a private dinner by the swimming pool. I had also asked a few senior members of the Nigerian Community, and our home-based officers with their wives to attend. The idea of the dinner, I informed President Shagari afterward, was to reassure Ojukwu about the genuineness of the government’s intentions, and to allay any unfounded fears that the government was planning to abduct him.

“Days after the dinner party, Ojukwu wrote to express his appreciation. I was shocked when he ended his letter with ‘Yours most respectfully, General Odumegwu Ojukwu.’

“General! He already had contravened one of the amnesty conditions!

“A few days later, I was in Lagos and called the attention of the president to the word “General”, which was clearly a misnomer given the conditions of the amnesty.

“The president had also received a letter from the ex-warlord requesting for a courtesy call appointment when he returned to Nigeria. The letter also carried the infamous insignia.

“However, benign President Shagari took the triviality in his stride. He was ever ready to receive Ojukwu,” he added.

According to Amb Ukume, Ex-vice president, late Alex Ekwueme, had planned to join prominent Ibo sons and daughters to welcome Ojukwu at the airport upon return to the country but was reminded of his then status by President Shagari.

“A great number of distinguished Ibo sons and daughters had planned to welcome Ojukwu at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport. Vice President Ekwueme was also reportedly warming up to join the welcoming party until Shagari reminded him of his status in the country,” he said.

Vanguard News Nigeria

RELATED NEWS
Biafra: Ojukwu accepted Shagari’s condition to be stripped of military status for amnesty-Amb Ukume

December 26, 2021
In "News"
Odumegwu Ojukwu and truths we owe the dead

CC Udele1, Blessedom

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Onyiiobi7735(m): 7:44pm On Dec 26, 2021
How true is this,because in the present situation of things in Nigeria, enemies of Igbos can go to any length to discredit and rubbish the name and memories of great Igbo heroes,past and present.
Am just saying.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Klimltdz: 7:50pm On Dec 26, 2021
Hnnnn
Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Emergingnation(m): 9:51pm On Dec 26, 2021
SwissMass:
The warmonger Ojukwu cried like an idiot
Cowardic unity beggars will always believe every propaganda emanating from their Jihadist government...... why didn't the coward say this trashed when Ojukwu was alive

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Investigative: 9:59pm On Dec 26, 2021
coming from a coward that couldn’t talk when ojukwu was alive
They dare not stand where ojukwu stood even the disgrace gowon
The crusader ranter
That his whole village has been leveled and renamed by Fulani bandit

By the way who is ukume
Without mentioning ojukwu we don’t even know any coward with that name

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Investigative: 10:05pm On Dec 26, 2021
christistruth01:
cool

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/12/ojukwu-wept-under-my-shoulder-for-forgiveness-over-role-in-war-%E2%80%95-amb-ukume/amp/

Vanguard News

Ojukwu wept under my shoulder for forgiveness over role in war ― Amb Ukume
December 26, 2021

Print

Biafra: Ojukwu accepted Shagari's condition to be stripped of military status for amnesty ― Amb Ukume
Mr Odumegwu Ojukwu
Explains how he convinced Shehu Shagari to grant Ojukwu pardon
By Joseph Erunke
Biafra movement warlord, Odumegwu Ojukwu

NIGERIAN Ambassador to Cote D’Ivoire during late President Shehu Shagari’s administration, Denis Ukume, has disclosed that late Biafra warlord, Odumegwu Ojukwu, wept under his shoulder for forgiveness over role in war.

The 83-year-old claimed Ojukwu agreed to Shagari’s condition to be referred to simply as “Mr” without any military insignia if he (Ojukwu) would be granted pardon for his role in the Nigerian Civil War.

But he said Ojukwu almost marred his chances of being accorded the amnesty when he flouted the condition a few hours after by referring to himself as “General Odumegwu Ojukwu”, in an appreciation letter he wrote to him following his role in the amnesty deal.

Ukume’s claims were contained in his book, titled: “I believe”, which he published among three others, launched in Abuja.

His three other books also launched alongside, were titled, “My Challenges”, Osofinco and Mamma Mia”, respectively.

In the published book, the former Nigerian ambassador also said the then National Party of Nigeria, NPN, had made efforts to frustrate the granting of amnesty to Ojukwu if he would not join the party upon return to Nigeria but that his firm opposition to the party’s leadership condition, led to the amnesty for the late Biafran leader.

“When the Executive Committee members of the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, got wind about the progress being made in connection with the granting of amnesty to Ojukwu, they quickly sent a powerful delegation to me.

“They requested that under no circumstances should amnesty be given to Ojukwu unless he gave an unequivocal undertaking that he would enroll as a member of the NPN on return. I told them clearly that their demand was unacceptable. I reported the matter to the president.

“Weeks later, I traveled to Lagos to inform the president that I was convinced beyond any doubt that Ojukwu was thoroughly remorseful for all that had happened during the civil war. I then recommended he be granted amnesty.

“The president accepted my recommendation. He dispatched the Minister of Internal Affairs, Ali Baba, and the Director-General of National Security Organisation, NSO, Alhaji Umaru Shinkafi with a list of conditions governing the granting of the amnesty.

“They were as follows: That no one would force him to join a political party. The government, however, advised that on his return, he should conduct a thorough overview of the political parties in the country with any of his choice; that his personal protection like those of all Nigerians was guaranteed under the Nigerian constitution; that he should not own a privately armed body for is protection,” he said.

Other conditions by Shagari to Ojukwu, according to Amb Ukume, were, “That he was returning to Nigeria as a Mr Odumegwu Ojukwu with no military insignia attached to his name; that his properties or those of his relations that had been confiscated as a result of a decree or edict remained the properties of government; that his properties or those of his relations occupied by government and rents not paid would be fully paid to date and that if those conditions were acceptable to him, the president would consider granting him amnesty.”

Ukume said: “Accompanied by the Minister and the Director-General, I took the conditions to a high-profile meeting of the Ivorian governing party which was convened by the president.

“I read the conditions one after the other. Ojukwu accepted all of them. Finally, we then went to a meeting of the Ivorian Executive Council. As the Minister, the DG, and I embraced him in turns, he broke down and wept profusely,” he claimed.

Ukume continued: “Shortly after the delegation had returned to Nigeria, I invited Ojukwu and his wife to the residence for a private dinner by the swimming pool. I had also asked a few senior members of the Nigerian Community, and our home-based officers with their wives to attend. The idea of the dinner, I informed President Shagari afterward, was to reassure Ojukwu about the genuineness of the government’s intentions, and to allay any unfounded fears that the government was planning to abduct him.

“Days after the dinner party, Ojukwu wrote to express his appreciation. I was shocked when he ended his letter with ‘Yours most respectfully, General Odumegwu Ojukwu.’

“General! He already had contravened one of the amnesty conditions!

“A few days later, I was in Lagos and called the attention of the president to the word “General”, which was clearly a misnomer given the conditions of the amnesty.

“The president had also received a letter from the ex-warlord requesting for a courtesy call appointment when he returned to Nigeria. The letter also carried the infamous insignia.

“However, benign President Shagari took the triviality in his stride. He was ever ready to receive Ojukwu,” he added.

According to Amb Ukume, Ex-vice president, late Alex Ekwueme, had planned to join prominent Ibo sons and daughters to welcome Ojukwu at the airport upon return to the country but was reminded of his then status by President Shagari.

“A great number of distinguished Ibo sons and daughters had planned to welcome Ojukwu at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport. Vice President Ekwueme was also reportedly warming up to join the welcoming party until Shagari reminded him of his status in the country,” he said.

Vanguard News Nigeria

RELATED NEWS
Biafra: Ojukwu accepted Shagari’s condition to be stripped of military status for amnesty-Amb Ukume

December 26, 2021
In "News"
Odumegwu Ojukwu and truths we owe the dead

CC Udele1, Blessedom
op who is ukume
Seems every rat wants to get relevant with Igbo
Ojukwu name can buy
This noise maker and his entire lineage

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by SpecialAdviser(m): 10:28pm On Dec 26, 2021
Onyiiobi7735:
How true is this,because in the present situation of things in Nigeria, enemies of Igbos can go to any length to discredit and rubbish the name and memories of great Igbo heroes,past and present.
Am just saying.

How do
Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by SpecialAdviser(m): 10:28pm On Dec 26, 2021
Onyiiobi7735:
Am just saying.
How do you take such a nonsense statement for truth? Why didn't he say it while he was still alive?
I remembered Ojukwu warning Obasanjo that if they rig Anambra election, he would start another war. APGA continued ruling Anambra till he died and even after death.

Some people are best ignored. Who is he in the first place? Leave the statement for unity beggars to celebrate boxing day.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Christistruth00: 10:31pm On Dec 26, 2021
Investigative:

op who is ukume
Seems every rat wants to get relevant with Igbo
Ojukwu name can buy
This noise maker and his entire lineage

Dennis Ukume was the Nigerian Ambassador to the Ivory Coast where Ojukwu was exiled after abandoning and fleeing Biafra and whom Ojukwu sent to beg President Shehu Shagari for forgiveness and to grant him amnesty in 1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAKkC8Yi5UY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXnjZybYods

https://effiongp.msu.domains/biafra-2/maj-gen-efiong-leads-peace-delegation/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXRsFQec7s0

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Investigative: 10:47pm On Dec 26, 2021
Christistruth00:

Dennis Ukume was the Nigerian Ambassador to the Ivory Coast where Ojukwu was exiled after abandoning and fleeing Biafra and whom Ojukwu sent to beg President Shehu Shagari to grant him amnesty in 1982

Thanks for explaining
I don’t even know him
And am very sure that 99% of Nigerians don’t
Unlike ojukwu that’s sent a spine
Now go further and tell us where the so called Ukume came from

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 26, 2021
Emergingnation:
Cowardic unity beggars will always believe every propaganda emanating from their Jihadist government...... why didn't the coward say this trashed when Ojukwu was alive

Ojukwu the biggest coward of them all still violated his conditions after we forgave him and granted him amnesty.

This is why you can’t forgive these people, they don’t understand civility. Have to keep dealing with them with iron fists!

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Investigative: 11:17pm On Dec 26, 2021
kingawothefirst:

Ojukwu the biggest coward of the all still violated his conditions after we forgave him and granted him amnesty.

This is why you can’t forgive these people, they don’t understand civility. Have to keep dealing with iron fists!
If you can mention a name in your whole lineage that can come close to ojukwu bravery
Then I will take you serious

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Nobody: 11:24pm On Dec 26, 2021
Investigative:

If you can mention a name in your whole lineage that can come close to ojukwu bravery
Then I will take you serious

E pain am! Ojukwu is a coward, no be me talk am grin

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Investigative: 11:29pm On Dec 26, 2021
kingawothefirst:

E pain am! Ojukwu is a coward, no be me talk am grin
Yes e pain me say your lineage no get a brave man like ojukwu
Anyone that come close drink rat poison
The only brave man remaining in your lineage grin grin grin

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Nobody: 12:39am On Dec 27, 2021
Investigative:

Yes e pain me say your lineage no get a brave man like ojukwu
Anyone that come close drink rat poison
The only brave man remaining in your lineage grin grin grin

You are in severe pains, you are in Nigeria, you are Nigerian, you spend the Naira lol grin yet you are not a first class citizen of Nigeria, you are 4th class at best. A negative in your own country.

You will forever hate yourself for being Nigerian lol haha . No biafra for you tongue now go hug transformer. Pained idiot thinking I’m his problem lol your pains is just starting trust me it’s about to get worse for you cannibals!

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by seanfer(m): 1:18am On Dec 27, 2021
Emergingnation:

But you believed the lies your elders peddled about other tribes?
Re: Ojukwu Wept Under My Shoulder For Forgiveness Over Role In War ― Amb Ukume by Mynd44: 1:51am On Dec 27, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

(1)

I Hope You Won't Cry After 2023? / As A Niger Deltan, Who Should I Support Tinubu Or Obi / Omoyele Sowore Takes Campaign To The Lake (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.