Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,769 members, 7,806,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria (7180 Views)

ARE CERTAIN KIDS BORN WITH DREADLOCKS? / FG Recovers 45 Stolen Artefacts From The U.S. / Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Janeesa: 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2007
A friend told me that when she went to nigeria(she was born here) everyone just stared at her and ppl could tell
she was frm america, and also her cousins start tryna talk like her, any other nigerian-americans experience this when they go to nigeria?do nigerians in nigeria see amer.born nigerian kids as americans first before nigerians?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by nguage(m): 5:37am On Jul 29, 2007
that happened to my friend. if you have earings on or your hair is in braids, it is very likely to happen.
My cousins dont get embarrased, they could switch accents so fast!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:54am On Jul 29, 2007
best thing when ur in naija behave like a naija chic so u dont get hassled
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Janeesa: 7:23am On Jul 29, 2007
that happened to my friend. if you have earings on or your hair is in braids, it is very likely to happen.
My cousins don't get embarrased, they could switch accents so fast![b][/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#770077][/color]so ppl couldnt tell they were americans?[/size][size=8pt]
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by MP007(m): 11:34am On Jul 29, 2007
grin grin grin grin, u don't want to know grin grin, soo embarrasing
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by PTBNaija(f): 10:30pm On Jul 29, 2007
I didn't really have that experience. When I talked. . .of course they can tell. But as long as you don't go there stuck up or anything you'll be fine. My cousins didn't try to talk like us. . .they tried to get us to talk like them tongue I don't know if we really had people starting at us. . .but we did get suitors! haha wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Seun(m): 9:48am On Jul 30, 2007
Coming back to Nigeria when you've spent your childhood abroad is a big mistake. The best time to return to Nigeria is after you graduate from college. Nigeria is good for business but bad for higher education.
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by iice(f): 12:05pm On Jul 30, 2007
muchbabe:

best thing when your in naija behave like a naija chic so u don't get hassled

Word! although its hard if you didn't grow up there so dunno how you'll pick up the behaviour lol.
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by YOUNGDICEs(m): 1:52pm On Jul 30, 2007
THEY don't even let me speak english in my grandma house I try that one day they whoop my ass.
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by naijaway(m): 11:31pm On Jul 30, 2007
@seun, the Nigerian secondary school system with all that corruption is way disciplined, better in terms of theory, and advanced intelligence than most countries including the US. The US elementary and university schools are better especially their universities cuz of their extensive research, lack of cultism and praticiality.
And if the person wasn't born in Naija, it will be an advantage for the child to connect with the country, the people, and have a diverse mentality if the kid attends his/her high school in Nigeria cuz if u come after college u can't feel connected to the place and the society and every good businessman knows that such traits are bad for business excerpt the person decides to see naija as another place where they are not connected to. If the person decides that route then they have to have a lot of cash and can't run for public office and all kinds of barriers.
I know Nigeria is bad now but that doesn't mean that people who have their kids outside Nigeria shouldn't get them connected to their father's land just cuz they feel comfortable now. Is better in my view that the kid be integrated into the society and when he/she sees the society they can either feel obliged or not to assist in their own small way in helping the country. People should be careful before they breed another lost generation this century just because things are going their way now, cuz it could back fire big Time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Janeesa: 3:13am On Jul 31, 2007
[center]whether the child was raised abroad is irelevant.if the child was born in nigeria they will therefore be more accustomed to everthing there (unless they left real young) but i'm talkin about kids born and raised here in the U.S.i dont see why others in nigeria view them as american or black american.yes we r american by birth but we are also nigerian, we are not totally american or like we don't know where we are from![/center]
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by ph4life(m): 3:25am On Jul 31, 2007
i know some naija guys that live abroad, these guys attended secondary school in naija but supposedly are so accustomed to the way things are run abroad they don't even want to think of going to naija for even a week. everytime you bring up topic about naija or going home, they get really upset. what a shame!! i can't even imagine how the 1's that were not born or raised in naija would fell/./

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by iice(f): 5:14am On Jul 31, 2007
sadly being raised abroad is not irrelevant! yes you are considered nigerians but with a touch of 'jandedness'. A nigerian born and bred in naija behaves differently from one born and raised abroad. Society's influence and all that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Janeesa: 6:40am On Jul 31, 2007
it really is sad isnt it? if nigeria is were u were born and raised why not embrace that and stop tryin to pass for somethin your not.I hate it when i see all these nigerian kids tryin to pass for something they aren't.some come from nigeria, and stay here so long and they SWEAR up and down they are only american! this is what is happening to my mothers friends son.he was born in nigeria and his mom brought him to the US. (idk what age) and since then the boy swears hes not african or nigerian for that matter.he doesnt like african/nigerian girls he thinks they r crispy black and ugly he hates the culture(food,trad.clothes) he really needs help, its sad too-- i mean for a kid BORN in nigeria to turn his back on it.
anyway i'm gettin sidetrack'd a little bit, [color=#990000]what my quest. was if nigerian-americans visiting nigeria can be easily spotted by other nigerians and if they
viewed nigerian-american kids as
"akatas"

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by iice(f): 12:45pm On Jul 31, 2007
Speech mos def gives one away. I remember my bro telling me, that when he was in school, there were these two guys who came from the US and even when they tried speaking pidgin it came out with an american accent grin Nwayz needless to say after one term (semester) they quickly picked up the accent and all.

Yes Nigerian Americans can be spotted dunno about easily (haven't been home for a while and am numb to many things). . .something about aura they exude. . .could be the dressing, the mannerism, their looks (piercings/tattoos - some of those things that are seen in society but not exactly all out there, if you know what i mean undecided)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Ezinwannem: 3:25pm On Aug 10, 2007
not really ur speech but even da way u look, oh, u look so fresh, i made a mistake i said I wanted WATERMELON, cheiii, come and see eye and plz can u repeat it again, lol, Naija is fun
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by iice(f): 5:39pm On Aug 10, 2007
LOL na wetin you suppose call am? Melon?

My own, i ddnt even talk, they no gree say i be naija till i open my mouth grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by lolly1815(f): 7:11pm On Aug 10, 2007
well, welcome to the club i guess. i will never forget my first time coming to nija. it was so hard for me to cope.the beggars and hawkers on the road really scared me .when i started going to my secondary school i can remember crying everyday after school. they even made me repeat a class for starting school late. it was real depressing. i can't remember how many times i cursed my parents for making me come here,but that was 3 and a half years ago and i got over it i'm glad i came. the experience has been amazing and i'm going back to st.louis after i graduate next year. peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by ormis66(f): 4:31am On Nov 19, 2007
I guess everyone has a different experience. I was born in the states but raised in Nigeria Secondary/Primary School. When I speak English fellow Nijas cannot tell I am from Nigerian until I pull out my you de yan Okpata or which ones na, then people realise that I am from Nigeria. Personally, I leave English behind when I hit the Lagos airport.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by presido1: 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2007
his_grace:

Oga Seun - u are a mistake to Nairaland - and to Nigeria - how can u say that? I have friends and family abroad who will never want their kids to grow up anywhere but Nigeria - na wao.
As Yoruba people say - its a bastard who uses his/her left hand to point to his/her fathers house.
Big Mistake and Disgrace as well,
ormis66:

I guess everyone has a different experience. I was born in the states but raised in Nigeria Secondary/Primary School. When I speak English fellow Nijas cannot tell I am from Nigerian until I pull out my you de yan Okpata or which ones na, then people realise that I am from Nigeria. Personally, I leave English behind when I hit the Lagos airport.
Correct Yawn, opata no be small.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by spoilt(f): 10:52pm On Nov 19, 2007
why would they stare at her? was her butt crack on display?  grin
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by lindabong(f): 9:06am On Aug 07, 2008
yeah I could so relate to that.
I went to Nigeria when I was eight.
As soon as I got there, they all just looked at me kinda funny or whatever.
Then they would all kinda mock me in a weird way and they would talk about how I did my hair and the clothes I would wear and how I sounded funny.
But we were only supposed to stay there over the summer, but we ended up staying for six months and me and my mom came back just in time for Christmas.
Anyways, the whole time that I stayed there, I kinda adopted their customs and ways of doin things so when I had came back to the US I kinda had to readjust to everything back here and also explain why I had started to school here in the States like four months late.
Just being there had opened my eyes to a whole nother side of my ethnic background.
But just thinking about the whole thing about my family over there kinda saracastically making fun of the way I said things or the way I acted, it kinda makes me laugh!
But it was then that I realized that I'm not just an Amercian, but I'm also of Nigerian descent, so therefore that makes me a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by bebure(m): 10:39am On Aug 07, 2008
It's not neccessary a bad thing. In my secondary school in Nigeria, (which was in a town called Offa in Kwara State) there were quite a number of Nigerians who grew up in the US and the UK who came there for their high school education and I personally think it is the best thing a Nigerian parent in diaspora can do for their kids because it enables them to learn more about their own culture, teaches them the value of respect and just generally helps them to better understand and deal with their Nigerian brothers and sisters. Of course these kids (along with many of us who lived in Nigeria at the time) all went abroad for our university/college education. What this does is that it gives the kids that flexibility in future after their education, they would be more flexible in making a decission as to where they want to settle down as they would have a relatively good understanding of both culures. Just my two cents.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Outstrip(f): 3:06am On Aug 08, 2008
I was born and raised in Nigeria for the most part but when I went home to visit in 2002 after I had been here only 8 years I wanted to go for a ride with an uncle of mine just to do some site seeing and see if I could remember anything from when I lived in Nigeria. He told me that he had to stop at the market and I could not follow him because I looked American. They were afraid that theives would follow us back home. Na wa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by naijadiva2(f): 3:41am On Aug 08, 2008
Outstrip:

I was born and raised in Nigeria for the most part but when I went home to visit in 2002 after I had been here only 8 years I wanted to go for a ride with an uncle of mine just to do some site seeing and see if I could remember anything from when I lived in Nigeria. He told me that he had to stop at the market and I could not follow him because I looked American. They were afraid that theives would follow us back home. Na wa.

that's what i kept hearing before i went to nigeria to visit that the thought of going to nigeria actually made me scared but i got over it really quick.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by na2day2(m): 2:30am On Sep 23, 2008
well, folks tell me the same, that if i return to abuja i will be shocked. that people target nigerians abroad and steal from them. na film? i am a typical ajeparko and no body fit try that kin rough play. i will pull all my warri skills, dem go fear now. if u go back home forming, na u cause go slow so u go bear with wetin u cause. i attended command in abuja and we were the pioneer set, lots of the kids, too many of them where akarta nigerians (minus the actual foreign kids there) back from different countries and some could not sing the national anthem(yours truly knows standard one and two wink ) but alot of them learnt fast that it was better for one to learn the nigeria ways than to form. the moral of the story, dont form, if u are in the slums dont speak. grin

Outstrip:

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by Queenisha1: 2:45am On Sep 23, 2008
well I was born and bred in naija and the first time I was home after being gone a few years, I even jumped on molue and blended right in grin
If the conductor had refused to give me proper change ,I for gi am grin
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by timbabng(m): 8:26am On Sep 23, 2008
correct grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by origina9ja(f): 1:45pm On Oct 17, 2008
embarassed
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by TOYOSI20(f): 3:47am On Oct 18, 2008
I heard some parents threaten their children by saying they'll send then back to Nigeria. . . . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by plusQueen: 3:50am On Oct 18, 2008
TOYOSI20:

I heard some parents threaten their children by saying they'll send then back to Nigeria. . . . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Well when we run out of options we have to resort to threats. grin
Tell them you'll send them to Somalia cool
Threaten them with strangulation sef. wink
These kids can get on one's last nerve grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 4:01am On Oct 18, 2008
Lol my classmates didnt understand me for the first 2 months

My parents threatened and followed thru with their word and Im grateful

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Interesting Facts You May Not Know About Abeokuta and egba / Lagos Has Only One Ohaneze Ndi-Igbo President — Igbo Leaders / Fashola Unveils The Logo Of Lagos Carnival 2010.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.