Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Is Bride Price Biblical ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Bride Price Biblical ? (980 Views)

If Your Bride Price Is Not Paid You Can Never See God- Female Preacher(video) / OAP Freeze's Biblical Misinformation On Collection Of Tithes / Bride-To-Be Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Catholic Church (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Bride Price Biblical ? by gnhpowerhouse: 6:49pm On Dec 30, 2021
Bride price is not a condition for marriage but only as a penalty for rape. Exodus 22:16-17: "If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife. ... He must marry the young woman,for he has violated her.

One So Called self Acclaimed Pastor Mentioned this : https://www.nairaland.com/6916285/bride-price-not-paid-never.
What is your take on this.. Christians derive life styles ,Living Principles from the Bible ...Should they create a different Practice ? I still see Men that Marries Virgins still Pay Bride Price also ..How is Rape Defines here ...How about a Man and a woman that had a Mutual Consent to have Sex and wasn't a force before they got Married ..Must such man Pay Bride Price since he already had a Carnal Knowledge of Her ...
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Wazobia2216: 6:51pm On Dec 30, 2021
The Bible recognizes customs and traditions!
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 30, 2021
pastors and clegymen over to u
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by gnhpowerhouse: 6:53pm On Dec 30, 2021
Wazobia2216:
Where ..What Chapter ,What Verse ... Recognition and Permission are they the same ? it's a Tradition and Custom of some People to Bury a life Person with the King...Does Bible Recognizes that too ?.
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Wazobia2216: 6:56pm On Dec 30, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:
Where ..What Chapter ,What Verse ... Recognition and Permission are they the same ? it's a Tradition and Custom of some People to Bury a life Person with the King...Does Bible Recognizes that too ?.
I will give you instances of laws not made by God but was even before the coming of Jesus Christ!
1. The wedding at cana: “Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now.” (EVERYONE! In this context means in has being in existence!) John 2:10

2. Christ paid tax! Christ didn't want to offend them so he paid tax!!!
"Doesn't your teacher pay the temple tax?"
"Yes, he does," he replied.
"But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."
Jesus tells the Pharisees and Herodians to 'render therefore unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's' (Mark 12)

3. It was their custom and traditions for the elder daughter to get married before the younger! As was the case of Jacob and Rachael! You are aware that he worked for 7 years to get her hand in marriage
Laban explained that according to tribal custom, the oldest daughter should be married first (Genesis 29:26)

In the book of Tobit: Raguel the father-in-law, wrote out a marriage contract! Tobit 7:14

No doubt customs and traditions differs but Christ teaches us not to be a slave to it!

The Almighty also abhors using them to the detriments of others!
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Amotolongbo(f): 7:08pm On Dec 30, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:
Bible itself is a book containing the custom and tradition of some people called Jews
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Amotolongbo(f): 7:12pm On Dec 30, 2021
Moreover I didn’t see where the father of the bride asked for a price in the bible from the groom except the one with ulterior motive.

The bride price I know was a penalty for raping a virgin
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by gnhpowerhouse: 10:04pm On Dec 30, 2021
Wazobia2216:

I will give you instances of laws not made by God but was even before the coming of Jesus Christ!
1. The wedding at cana: “Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now.” (EVERYONE! In this context means in has being in existence!) John 2:10

2. Christ paid tax! Christ didn't want to offend them so he paid tax!!!
"Doesn't your teacher pay the temple tax?"
"Yes, he does," he replied.
"But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."
Jesus tells the Pharisees and Herodians to 'render therefore unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's' (Mark 12)

3. It was their custom and traditions for the elder daughter to get married before the younger! As was the case of Jacob and Rachael! You are aware that he worked for 7 years to get her hand in marriage
Laban explained that according to tribal custom, the oldest daughter should be married first (Genesis 29:26)

In the book of Tobit: Raguel the father-in-law, wrote out a marriage contract! Tobit 7:14

No doubt customs and traditions differs but Christ teaches us not to be a slave to it!

The Almighty also abhors using them to the detriments of others!
Definitely with all your Points ,there was no Where in the Bible that Jesus nor Almighty God gave it as an order that Bride Price should be Paid and if not Paid it becomes a SIN or Abomination as Hypocrites in our Generations says ...

Customs and Traditions were all Created by Men ..it's a Practice initiated by men ..Why must a Tradition initiated by men be a Compulsion on another Man ...

In the 10 Commandments directly given to Moses by Almighty God ,Can we say that is custom or Tradition too given to the Jews and not for this Generation ? Even in the 10 Commandments there was nothing like Oh ! Ye People ...You Shall pay bride Price ,if you do not then it shall be made a SIN unto U..

Well most of us made the Bible to say what we want
.Twisting it , Analysing it to suit ourselves ..

Can someone point out categorically where it's written as a commandments ..I repeat..Apart from give what belong to ceaser to ceaser defence , Custom and Traditions defence Bla bla bla
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by gnhpowerhouse: 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Moreover I did see where the father of the bride asked for a price in the bible from the groom

. Gbam ! truth ..but Oga Dem no go free ooo ,Just because a Practice have been on for many centuries does not makes it right joorrr...
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Wazobia2216: 12:18am On Dec 31, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:
Definitely with all your Points ,there was no Where in the Bible that Jesus nor Almighty God gave it as an order that Bride Price should be Paid and if not Paid it becomes a SIN or Abomination as Hypocrites in our Generations says ...

Customs and Traditions were all Created by Men ..it's a Practice initiated by men ..Why must a Tradition initiated by men be a Compulsion on another Man ...

In the 10 Commandments directly given to Moses by Almighty God ,Can we say that is custom or Tradition too given to the Jews and not for this Generation ? Even in the 10 Commandments there was nothing like Oh ! Ye People ...You Shall pay bride Price ,if you do not then it shall be made a SIN unto U..

Well most of us made the Bible to say what we want
.Twisting it , Analysing it to suit ourselves ..

Can someone point out categorically where it's written as a commandments ..I repeat..Apart from give what belong to ceaser to ceaser defence , Custom and Traditions defence Bla bla bla
Is everything you are doing to written in the Bible verbatim

It's a happening that determined customs and traditions!

Was yahoo written in the Bible Are people not engaging in it

I iterate! Customs and traditions differs!

No pay bride price if you get 2 heads, come marry for villa!
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Dec 31, 2021
Wazobia2216:
Customs and traditions of who exactly? undecided

Jesus Christ, God's New Covenant, explained that customs and traditions of men are in fact an abomination, lies, where the Truth of God is concerned, this from over 2000 years ago, so are you suggesting God is wrong - Matthew15 vs 1 - 14 & Mark 7 vs 1 - 13 ? undecided
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Kobojunkie: 3:59am On Dec 31, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:
What is your take on this.. Christians derive life styles ,Living Principles from the Bible ...Should they create a different Practice ? I still see Men that Marries Virgins still Pay Bride Price also ..How is Rape Defines here ...How about a Man and a woman that had a Mutual Consent to have Sex and wasn't a force before they got Married ..Must such man Pay Bride Price since he already had a Carnal Knowledge of Her ...
God's commandments regarding marriage for those who are followers of Jesus Christ can be found written of in Matthew 5 vs 27 - 32 & Matthew 19 vs 1 - 16 undecided

Bride prices are of the customs and traditions of men which Jesus Christ warned His followers to remove themselves from as they are lies, an abomination, where the Truth of God is concerned - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 & Mark 7 vs 1 - 13 undecided
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:36am On Dec 31, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Moreover I didn’t see where the father of the bride asked for a price in the bible from the groom except the one with ulterior motive.

Then you missed the fact that Isaac paid bride price for Rebecca's hand. Genesis 24:53.

Bride Price is just the Act of Showing/Giving Respect and Appreciation for THE TAKING AWAY OF A GOOD THING obtained from the family of the woman.
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:48am On Dec 31, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:
Bride price is not a condition for marriage but only as a penalty for rape. Exodus 22:16-17: "If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife. ... He must marry the young woman,for he has violated her.

Wrong!

Isaac paid bride price for Rebecca's hand. Genesis 24:53.

Bride Price is just the Act of Showing/Giving Respect and Appreciation for THE TAKING AWAY OF A GOOD THING obtained from the family of the woman.

And this Law in Exodus is meant to Rectify and pppppCorrect A Wrong Doing!

The word "seduces" already tells us that the she would not have given up her virginity if not that the man impliedly PROMISED marriage to her.(Exactly as men do) and she believed it.

Therefore, The Law is simply saying "I saw what happened, because you so desired her, you promised to marry her AND SHE AGREED (A CONTRACT IS FORMED). Therefore, you must marry her if you do not want to be guilty of wickedness and deceit and wrong doing".
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:49am On Dec 31, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:

Wrong!

Isaac paid bride price for Rebecca's hand. Genesis 24:53.

And this Law in Exodus is meant to Rectify and Correct A Wrong Doing!

The word "seduces" already tells us that the she would not have given up her virginity if not that the man impliedly PROMISED marriage to her.(Exactly as men do) and she believed it.

Therefore, The Law is simply saying "I saw what happened, because you so desired her, you promised to marry her AND SHE AGREED (A CONTRACT IS FORMED). Therefore, you must marry her if you do not want to be guilty of wickedness and deceit and wrong doing".
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:09am On Dec 31, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:
..Can someone point out categorically where it's written as a commandments ..I repeat..Apart from give what belong to ceaser to ceaser defence , Custom and Traditions defence Bla bla bla

Natural Law Rules us and Natural Law is God's Hands in Motion.

And exactly as it is not expressly stated in the Bible that "To acquire a wife you must entreat and woo her ("toast" her) to avoid rape and forceful marriage" so also is it set by God through Nature that honour and respect shall be given to the master of a house to take away his daughter.

Common to obtain favours eg jobs, contracts, connections from a man you go with gifts of wines and money, is it now for the acquisition of his daughter you shall go empty handed?

God Laid Down Natural Law to be the Custom and Tradition of men but men being evil have altered it.

Now you understand why David cried "Do not remove the ancient landmarks" but men have removed it and now "the earth is out of course".

Natural Law is also God's Law and in the same force as "The Word which Proceedeth Out of His Mouth"!

So there are 2 Body of Laws which come from God, you should look out for

1) Natural Law and
2) The Word which God Spoke (which is more than the supposed 613 Laws Spoke more than 6l3 times).
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Amotolongbo(f): 7:19am On Dec 31, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Then you missed the fact that Isaac paid bride price for Rebecca's hand. Genesis 24:53.

Can you just tell me where Rebekkah’s father requested for the bride price, if you have and didn’t miss the fact?

Bride price paying is customary and there isn’t anything bad in paying it if it is part of one’s custom.
In fact, it is bad if one doesn’t respect one’s custom and tradition.

Lobbing it to be a spiritual thing is totally out of the way
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by gnhpowerhouse: 10:55am On Dec 31, 2021
Wazobia2216:

Is everything you are doing to written in the Bible verbatim

It's a happening that determined customs and traditions!

Was yahoo written in the Bible Are people not engaging in it

I iterate! Customs and traditions differs!

No pay bride price if you get 2 heads, come marry for villa!
. Paying of Bride Price is Not Biblical sir...It's not a Must ...It's Tradition and Customs .. Almighty God did not Traditionally made it a Law or Regulation and It's No SiN..

You Guys should stop making it Almighty God Injunctions ... Pure Man Creations and Conditions Face the Truth and stop The Twisting
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by gnhpowerhouse: 10:59am On Dec 31, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

. Isaac is Not Almighty God ,His acts of Paying Bride Price is an individual thing and Personal thing to show Respect and Appreciation for the Taking away of a Good thing as You rightly said ...Point to me where Almighty God said thou shall Pay Bride Price .and if thou refused and Marry such a Lady You have Committed a Sin ..Just the Chapter and Verse ..No twisting
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by gnhpowerhouse: 11:06am On Dec 31, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Can you just tell me where Rebekkah’s father requested for the bride price, if you have and didn’t miss the fact?

Bride price paying is customary and there isn’t anything bad in paying it if it is part of one’s custom.
In fact, it is bad if one doesn’t respect one’s custom and tradition.

Lobbing it to be a spiritual thing is totally out of the way
. Lobbing it to be a spiritual thing is totally out of the way. Exactly My Point...
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:14pm On Dec 31, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:
. Isaac is Not Almighty God, His acts of Paying Bride Price is an individual thing and Personal thing to show Respect and Appreciation for the Taking away of a Good thing as You rightly said

tongue I sure do hope that you are not a person insane for surely bride price pertains to men and not God.

gnhpowerhouse:

...Point to me where Almighty God said thou shall Pay Bride Price .and if thou refused and Marry such a Lady You have Committed a Sin ..Just the Chapter and Verse ..No twisting

Now you have varied the question after I have resolved the one you clearly asked. That's a Foul!
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:16pm On Dec 31, 2021
Amotolongbo:

The question is not about "Request" of bride price but about its validation, regularity and propriety, which I have addressed.
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by gnhpowerhouse: 12:50pm On Dec 31, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

tongue I sure do hope that you are not a person insane for surely bride price pertains to men and not God. Off course it's a Natural Law to insults another Person when U are engaged in a discussion ... Definitely U're a Confused Teacher of Natural Laws .

If Bride Price Pertains to Men why me like you term Preach it to be a Compulsion Under Spiritual Tenets ? Bringing Almighty God as the Initiator and if Men do not Adhere to it that bla bla bla Consequences Befalls such Person is Absolutely Wrong and a Spiritual Teaching Fraud.

Now you have varied the question after I have resolved the one you clearly asked. That's a Foul!
. Paying of bride Price is of Men and not a Spiritual Order By Almighty God ..If Man Likes He Pays ,If He does not like he doesn't Pay ..Shikena ...If any Man seems Fit to Give to Brides Family as a form of Thanksgiving for given him their Daughter in Marriage it's Fine.

I know of a Man that Told the Bridegroom to bring just a Pack of Bottle Water ,A Bible and a Small Bag of Salt for Prayers ..The Bride's Father Mentioned he doesn't need any Bride Price all he wanted is that He should take care of Is Daughter very and Prays they Both Live in Peace and Harmony ...Till Date No Rubbish Divorce ..There are Union where Millions worth of Bride Price is Paid and within 6 Months The Bride and Bridegroom are Apart even in the Most Violent Way .

Bride Price does not Determines The Longitivity ,Duration and peace of a Union ...

It's of Men simple.
Re: Is Bride Price Biblical ? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:07pm On Dec 31, 2021
gnhpowerhouse:
. Off course it's a Natural Law to insults another Person when U are engaged in a discussion ... Definitely U're a Confused Teacher of Natural Laws .

Surely, you are reasonable enough to know that there is a difference between murdering a person with the use of the weapon of words aka insults and a mere bonafide complaint of an irregular processing of information aka irrationality.

So no where did I insult you, if you are indeed TRUTH FULL!

gnhpowerhouse:
If Bride Price Pertains to Men why me like you term Preach it to be a Compulsion Under Spiritual Tenets ? ...

You wrongfully attach to me what does not belong to me.

I have never made such a presentation before but I do subscribe to Natural Law and All its Laws of Respect, Honour, Appreciation, Gratitude and THANKS GIVING!

All other unreasonable, unjust, unfair, wicked and evil postulations as prescribed by men are not acceptable to me and I have never ever approved such positions.

(1) (Reply)

Christ Jesus Wants You To Avoid Adultery / You Are Not In Christ If You Have Not Done Adult Baptism / Prophetic Warning: The World War Has Started

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.