Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,837 members, 7,806,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

Abj Law School Dress Code - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Abj Law School Dress Code (25465 Views)

Should There Be A Dress Code In Offices And Universities? / Dehlia Umunna Appointed Clinical Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (Photo) / Nigerian Law School 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abj Law School Dress Code by Betty605: 11:05am On Jun 16, 2011
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE

CAN SOMEONE WITH ANY KNOWLEDGE AS TO WHAT STUDENTS ARE ALLOWED TO WEAR IN THIS PARTICULAR LAW SCHOOL FILL ME IN PLEASE;

I AM CURIOUS AS TO WHETHER I CAN WEAR

-BLACK SHIRTS (WITH BLACK TAILORED SKIRT, KNEE LENGTH OF COURSE)
-WHAT JEWELRY WOULD I BE ALLOWED TO WEAR

IS THE DRESS CODE THE SAME FOR ALL THE LAW SCHOOLS?, BECAUSE MY MOM TOLD ME THAT IN THE LAGOS LAW SCHOOL, PEOPLE WERE ABLE TO WEAR ALL BLACK. (BLACK DRESS, BLACK SKIRT AND BLOUSE ETC).

PLEASE REPLY ASAP. THANK YOU.
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by durobraham(f): 5:17pm On Jun 20, 2011
Well! your mum was right. U could wear all black but there must be no frills, dots or any other design. You are also not allowed to have slits on your skirts too dats rily important. In my opinion its safer to have mostly white shirts cos d dress code keeps changing.
Very simple jewelry (almost nonexistent)too, they are really strict about that.
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Betty605: 6:00pm On Jun 20, 2011
thank you for replying, if you don't mind me asking, how sure are you about it?, were u at that particular law school?
what period?
thanks again! smiley
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Betty605: 6:09pm On Jun 20, 2011
what about school bags, do students have to follow the same color code?

1 Like

Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by durobraham(f): 6:31pm On Jun 20, 2011
I was there last year Bart part 2 tho. rules re not that stringent for Bar 1. your bag can be any color you wish from what i remember.
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Betty605: 6:37pm On Jun 20, 2011
Aha! thank God. exactly what i was thinking, because I plan on going for Bar 1,
and I was hoping the rule should not be too strict because there would be lots of people who would be clueless
about the dress code (with good reason) as there is hardly any information on the website (mynlsp.com).

What about shoes? do they have to be black as well?
(sorry i know I am asking lots of questions, thank you again for replying).
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by durobraham(f): 7:28pm On Jun 22, 2011
By not stringent i mean you can wear for example black or white shirts with stripes/frills and black skirts with slits not that the dress code is completely relaxed. shoes must be black no exceptions!
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Betty605: 7:32pm On Jun 22, 2011
Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it!!! smiley
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by durobraham(f): 8:34pm On Jun 22, 2011
personally i think your best bet is to go for really nice black dresses. That way you will be dress code complaint and still look hot!

have a great time.
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by DisGuy: 2:01pm On Jun 23, 2011
i dont know why but any time i hear this word 'law school' it sounds like some sacred place, are they like universities where law students do their masters degree or where the practical aspect of Law is learnt?

are lecture halls in 'Law schools' constructed like a court room?

I know someone that went to Nigeria for law school and most students in the UK don't talk about law schools are they called something else?
or perhaps to practise in a country you have to attend the law school(or equivalent) of that country?
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by triaophant: 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2011
@ Dis Guy, the law school education in Nigeria is not the same as in USA and UK. It is not a University or for Masters degree programme. Nigerian has only one law school ie Nigerian Law School at Gwari Abuja with other campuses in the Geo Political Zones of Nigeria, however their curriculum and administration is the same. Apart from Abuja campus where the Director General in in-charge, all other campuses are supervised by the Deputy Directors General. The Nigerian Law School is however under the supervision of The Council of Legal Education of Nigeria with its Board and the Body of Benchers of Nigeria that are solely responsible for the call to Bar of Nigerian lawyers. You can only qualify for admission to attend the law school if you are a law graduate from a Nigerian Recognized University and the spaces available are very limited. Remember undergraduate training in Nigerian University is Five years. You can only apply for admission through your University after graduation. For foreign trained Nigerian graduates , they must have obtained their degrees from a recognized Common law country. As a Nigerian foreign graduate, you will be admitted to Bar Part 1 and if you pass all your prescribed courses , you will then qualify for Bar Part 11 and you must pass all the courses to qualify for call to the Nigerian Bar to practice as a Solicitor and Advocate of The Supreme Court of Nigeria. In UK you train to become either a Solicitor or Advocate but a Nigerian trained lawyer combines the two. The law school is where you are trained professionally after your academic qualification from a university. The lecture halls are very large so as to accommodate all students in that campus at the same time for lectures. It is not like a law court.

1 Like

Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Glamourgal(f): 11:52am On Aug 15, 2011
Very interesting info.

Not too impressed with the dress code though. Boring!

Anyone know what modules are offered in Part 1 and 2? Are they compulsory or can you select?

When does part 1 start and end?

Thanks.
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by DisGuy: 2:19pm On Aug 15, 2011
Thanks @ triaophant
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by triaophant: 9:33pm On Aug 20, 2011
@Glamourgal let me borrow your language, at the Nigerian Law School the following courses are offered and they are compulsory. There are no options. Every candidate (potential lawyer) must sit and pass all the prescribed courses before qualifying for the Bar Part 11. The courses are: Nigerian Law of Contract, Nigerian Constitutional Law, Nigerian Criminal Law, Nigerian Legal System and maybe one or two other courses that I cannot remember for now. These course are taught at the undergraduate level of Nigerian universities. Foreign Universities do not offer them and to become a lawyer in Nigeria, you must be grounded in all those core courses. At undergraduate level in Nigeria, those courses are compulsory and not elective, you must pass them otherwise you will not graduate or be awarded your LLB Degree.
For the Bar Part 11, the courses are Nigerian Law of Evidence, Legal Drafting and Conveyancing Practice, Civil Procedure, Criminal Procedure, Company Law and Practice and the General Paper which includes, Advocacy, Solicitors Account and two others that I cannot immediately recollect. All the courses at the Law school are compulsory, there are no options. If you fail one course, you will be given a conditional pass that is to say you will will repeat that single course, but if you fail more than one course, you will repeat all the courses and pass them otherwise you will not be called to the Bar. You may also pass all the prescribed courses but not allowed to be called to the Bar. That is to say that apart from passing all the courses, you MUST BE A FIT AND PROPER PERSON.
For the dress code, please let nobody deceive you. You may earn yourself summary expulsion for not adhering to the Law School Dress Code. Remember to become a learned gentleman, you must be a fit and Proper person including adhering to dress code obtainable at the Law School. All the Campuses are the same and the same rules apply. The multi-Campus system was introduced to accommodate the backlog of Law graduates. The Dress Code is for Males, Black Suit, Black trouser, Black Shoe, Black stockings, white long sleeve shirt, black belt and black tie. But due to the Hot Nigerian weather, you can wear white shirt with black tie leaving behind the black jacket. For females it is the same, Black knee length skirt suit, black shoe, white shirt, the hair must not be very loud, minimum jewelry, bags may be of colour but black is better, no slits on the skirt or you will not be allowed into lecture halls, females may wear white shirt without the jacket with black shoe. However, on Fridays, students are allowed to wear Traditional wears with matching shoes to promote Nigerian culture.

2 Likes

Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Glamourgal(f): 8:24pm On Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Very informative.

A lot of modules to study AND pass shocked
I guess if others can do it, so can I. But it's a lot, still. god help us.

Is it all exam based, or coursework as well?

Any group work/projects?

What's the time table like? 5 days a weeks? What are the lecture hours like? Are you allowed to have digital voice recorder? Are we assigned personal tutors we can run to for help? grin

Do you choose your campus or are you posted wherever?

What's accommodation like? Is it shared?
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Glamourgal(f): 9:40pm On Aug 26, 2011
I asked a friend in law school and she said the modules in part I are Nigerian legal system, criminal law, land law and constitutional law. And for part II: Criminal litigation, civil litigation, properly law, company law and law in practice. Is this accurate info? Seems less than what you mentioned.

I rang the law school and they confirmed all students from abroad are automatically sent to the Abuja campus for both part one and two. Phew!! (Though I was kinda looking forward to Lag)
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by triaophant: 7:18pm On Aug 30, 2011
@Glamourgal, I may not be disposed to answering your further questions since it appears that you already have links with the Law School.
But for those who do not have such opportunity, here are the answers to your questions;
For Bar Part 1, the courses are as provided by your friend,
it is also true that all foreign Law graduates are admitted to Abuja Main Campus at the rural Gwari;
However whether you are at Abuja, Lagos, Enugu, Kano, Bayelsa or the other campus, the teaching pattern are the same, dressing same, infact the exam is the same and they start and end at the same time. For the marking of the scripts, all campuses are involved and it is centrally done at Abuja'
For Bar Part 11, these are the Courses: Company Law and Practice, Criminal Procedure, Civil Procedure, Law of Evidence, Legal Drafting and Conveyancing Practice, then Professional Ethics and Allied Matters which includes; Advocacy/Legal Skills, Legal Practitioner's Account and Law Office Management.
All the Courses taught at the Law School are intended to serve mainly Two purposes, to enable you train professionally to become a Lawyer and also pass all the prescribed exams for qualification to be called to the Nigerian Bar. apart from those who studied overseas in common law countries, you have no control as to where you are to be posted, however you have to make two choices out of which you are sent to one of them. But if you are interested in any campus, you have to justify it with a very strong reason. For the Hostel, you have no control. You also have to make do with occupying a room with one other person or more. The bed arrangement maybe single or double bonk, feeding is at the cafeteria on pay as you eat basis or on fixed price per plate of meal. If you are at Abuja Campus, you may shun the cafeteria and walk across to Jegede Market where there are many Bukas and have you fill at average price. You may also live off campus or in nearby Hotels which ever way you may choose, however I WILL ADVICE THAT YOU STAY IN CAMPUS.
For Lectures, it is from 8.30am to 4pm from Monday-Thursday while you close by 2pm on Fridays. In between school hours, you have 5mins break to enable students ease themselves, 30mins short tea break at 11am then 1hr break. However, after the initial few weeks, students are then grouped for mandatory tutorial classes which is from 4-5pm daily with the exception of Friday. You must also participate in the mandatory 3mnths chambers and court attachment, there is also the two law dinners at the law school and one week moot court and the law school games, you can also participate in sports and campus fellowships. it is fun but law school is for serious business. There are no private teachers attached to each student but you are free to walk to any lecturer, you can also study with fellow students. as for digital recorders, it is not permitted as you are trained to be fast in writing, phones are not also allowed except it is on silent mode, but recently it is allowed to use your laptop.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Glamourgal(f): 1:51pm On Aug 31, 2011
That answers all my questions and more I wanted to ask. Thanks a lot!!
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by uche13: 5:27pm On Sep 01, 2011
@Triaophant i am sure u went to school a while ago. Anyway, law school has changed its curriculum and things are a bit different now. Firstly the courses you will be taking in part 11 are criminal litigation, civil litigation, property law, corporate law and law in practice. They are bsically the same with the former courses but just that what you will be doing now is basically practical.

The time schedule is also a bit different. It is from 9am to 1:30pm with 30 mins break in between. The period of copying notes is also over as this is the era of "do it yourself" so no more note taking. Depending on ur campus, you will be put into different groups and you are to have group meetings etc.

Also if you are posted to lagos, the rules on dresings are a bit relaxed. You can carry different colours of bags and no one is bothered with the size of your earring wink

Good luck
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by triaophant: 1:13am On Sep 02, 2011
@uche13, thanks for recognizing that I left the Law School sometime ago, but in Legal practice, your year of call to Bar matters. The older the better. I have as a result taken some time to look at the current courses and they are almost the same as in practice you are going to follow the same procedure. I had the opportunity of meeting and discussing with many of my past Lecturers at the Law School including a DDG of a Campus during the recently concluded NBA Conference in Port Harcourt and I discovered that it is the same with slight modifications. Again, Law School is for professional training from its inception, that is why you are attached to Law Chambers and the Law Courts for three months. However after the Law School, legal practice is a different ball game out there as NO LECTURER AT THE LAW SCHOOL WILL TEACH YOU SOME TRICKS OF THE PROFESSION, YOU LEARN THEM WITH PRACTICE EXPERIENCE. THEY ARE NOT FOUND IN ANY LAW BOOK. My advice therefore is for you to study hard, pass your bar exams and if found FIT AND PROPER get called to the Bar and meet us in Court. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by uche13: 10:10am On Sep 02, 2011
@Triaophant
I am really trying to fathom the reason for your last post and i cant find any logical one. I was only trying to clarify Glamourgal since from ur previous post i detected that you were not in tune with the new curriculum taking place now in law school. I made reference to the courses presently been offered and also went further to state that its basically the same as the old subjects just with a little bit of changes. I explained further that law school is now more practical unlike the era of dictation of notes and plenty theory. Also, i pointed out that the time table has also changed and lectures are now from 9-1:30pm unlike what you stated. I had to enlighten the poster because if she enters law school with the mindset ur previous post indicated then she will be surprised as things are a lot different.

I therefore didnt see any connection with ur post or ur meeting with even the DG of law school. Never did i even indicate that any lecturer will teach you all the tricks of the law school or whatever it is u were referring to at the latter end of your post. For the records too, i am not a law school student but also a lawyer like you but who had the "priviledge" of being one of the guinea pigs of the new curriculum.

Lawyers sef undecided

3 Likes

Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by leggoo(m): 2:08am On Sep 06, 2011
No more notes in Law School? Phew!! In my set 2008 we wrote notes like crazy!!! But by the next year, when I went to visit my cousin in Abuja campus, every one was using laptops cos everything was now put in CDs! Technology is great and I'm sure it has made study to be called to bar a lot easier and enjoyable!
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Banky2009: 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2011
Great communication on the law school programs. I now have a better understanding. However, I still need to find out how much the school fees. Is there anyone with this information?? smiley
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by excel4sure: 1:12pm On Sep 04, 2012
Foreign Trained Laywers do better in Nigerian law schools than Nigerian trained laywers.Do you agreed?
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Serendipity: 9:50pm On Sep 04, 2012
excel4sure: Foreign Trained Laywers do better in Nigerian law schools than Nigerian trained laywers.Do you agreed?
I diasagree in toto as empiricism has shown that foreign students are seldom attuned with the system and none of them has ever proven any mettle or achieved any enviable feat at the NLS, either by winning awards or otherwise as to lend credence to your assertion.
May I also add smartish that LAW is no science, and it subjectivity makes those trained at home more susceptible to success than those trained abroad, save in extreme circumstances.
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by Stronger99: 3:42pm On Sep 11, 2012
White and black or all black
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by saradavison: 6:41am On Sep 12, 2012
i miss my school life...
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by asanwababy: 10:47pm On Sep 19, 2012
I also didn't see the need for the reply well guess it's a case of bruised ego. All you he had to do was acknowledged his mistake. As for me i'm awaiting my result.
uche13: @Triaophant
I am really trying to fathom the reason for your last post and i cant find any logical one. I was only trying to clarify Glamourgal since from ur previous post i detected that you were not in tune with the new curriculum taking place now in law school. I made reference to the courses presently been offered and also went further to state that its basically the same as the old subjects just with a little bit of changes. I explained further that law school is now more practical unlike the era of dictation of notes and plenty theory. Also, i pointed out that the time table has also changed and lectures are now from 9-1:30pm unlike what you stated. I had to enlighten the poster because if she enters law school with the mindset ur previous post indicated then she will be surprised as things are a lot different.

I therefore didnt see any connection with ur post or ur meeting with even the DG of law school. Never did i even indicate that any lecturer will teach you all the tricks of the law school or whatever it is u were referring to at the latter end of your post. For the records too, i am not a law school student but also a lawyer like you but who had the "priviledge" of being one of the guinea pigs of the new curriculum

Lawyers sef undecided
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by uche13: 5:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
@asanwababy, I don't envy you at all right now. Geez, the awaiting period is terrible to say the least!Very traumatic, the most annoying part is you trying hard not to fidget and everyone around you asking "is the result out yet" angry and your tummy doing a backward flip immediately.

Thank God we survived wink cheesy.

Success dear. Hope you come out tops.
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by asanwababy: 10:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
uche13: @asanwababy, I don't envy you at all right now. Geez, the awaiting period is terrible to say the least!Very traumatic, the most annoying part is you trying hard not to fidget and everyone around you asking "is the result out yet" angry and your tummy doing a backward flip immediately.

Thank God we survived wink cheesy.

Success dear. Hope you come out tops.
It seriously is. Well this year's exams where easier than the previous years I just hope and pray the result is as good as the exam felt. Thanks so much.
Re: Abj Law School Dress Code by uche13: 4:57pm On Sep 21, 2012
Yay! its finally out!

Trust you made it wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote Paid Graduate Drivers N30,000 For 3-Months Training / Today, I Quit Gambling!!! / Top5 Jobs That Pay More Than Medicine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.