Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,463 members, 7,808,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police (29060 Views)

Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry Lagos Estate Tackles Police / Atiku Didn’t Deny Not Being A Nigerian By Birth - Buhari, APC Tells Tribunal / Atiku: We Didn’t Deny PDP Use Of Stadium – Kogi Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by iLoveYouToo(m): 4:51am On Jan 04, 2022
iwaeda:

Nigeria is all about POWER, nothing else grin angry grin

After active service, it’s only 2-3 policemen that would be assigned to him. He’ll feel vulnerable again someday. Power is a drug, I’ve seen it ruin men

1 Like

Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by timefarm(m): 5:20am On Jan 04, 2022
SankaraSo:
grin

Yorobo people and their insecure lifestyle.

This is the same tribe that claim to accommodate people.

Ordinary Where are you going, this imp has arrested everybody.

Imagine this sort of mad man was a Soldier in the NA, and you greet him good morning.

Him go just use grenade bomb everywhere.
Keep quiet if you dont have anything reasonable to say.

How many people from other tribes are in your state in the east where you most likely came from.
Most selfish people in Nigeria putting mouth to where it does not belong.

Yes Yoruba is still the most accommodating perhaps too much self, otherwise, people like you wont be satying here and still be insulting you benefactor.

I wish they change this attitude and be mean as others.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by ayindejimmy(m): 5:29am On Jan 04, 2022
Emotion is the enemy of fact.
An with fact, there is no bias

Let's shed our toga of hatred for the police and analyse issues objectively in other not to be carried away by sentiments..

The Estate security acted overzealously. Maybe it's as a result of the pending issue they have with the police
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by t6(m): 5:32am On Jan 04, 2022
Nigerians behold thy incoming IGP... Last week, he got promoted to the position of assistant IGP... Who no know the plot of this graph? 2023 graph
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by Judolisco(m): 5:32am On Jan 04, 2022
festacman:
People get overly emotional and even hypocritical over this issue because a police officer is involved.

1. The Commissioner of Police Odumosu didn't need to give advance information of his coming to the Estate security men because it would be stupid to for him state his movement. Of course, giving such information would require the CP's security details to secure the Estate gate security until he arrives.

2. On arrival at the Estate gate and having PROPERLY identified himself as CP of Lagos State, he ought to have been allowed in immediately. Keeping him at the gate is unnecessarily exposing him to possible attack by criminals. Even a military formation would know better than keep a properly identified CP exposed to danger at its entry point.

3. CP Odumosu didn't need to tell the Estate security men the exact house he was going to before being allowed in. That's a classified information until his details secures the house for his safety.

4. Deliberately tagging the CP's visit as social to denigrate him is pure IGNORANCE because even a 'common' DPO is always listening to his radio equipment and giving directives anywhere he is. The fact is that when not on official leave, a CP is at work everywhere and every time.

5. I doubt if the police singled out that widow for arrest for nothing. She may have jumped into the matter and said unsavoury things. Being a resident in an Estate, I am familiar with some 'radical' busybody residents that would jump into issues without complete knowledge.

6. This is not the first gated estate that the CP has had cause to visit in Lagos. The truth is this incident was avoidable if only the Estate security was more professional and less power-conscious. Their unprofessional attitude activated power-tussle mode in the OFFICIAL state police force to show their constitutional superiority. The irony in this drama is that when armed criminals show up at the Estate, it is the official state police men that are called in to risk their lives.

7. By the way, is an estate which has individually-owned houses a private property or a community? If Magodo Brooks is NOT owned and rented out by one person as its private owner, is there any difference between this Estate and for example Ajegunle in the eyes of the law?

8. Yes, Nigeria police has many outright criminals as members but it is still the only one we have to enforce law and order and maintain security.
how can you arrest somebody for talking like expressing her human rights... Na police you be no doubt

1 Like

Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by Powersurge: 5:34am On Jan 04, 2022
festacman:
People get overly emotional and even hypocritical over this issue because a police officer is involved.

1. The Commissioner of Police Odumosu didn't need to give advance information of his coming to the Estate security men because it would be stupid to for him state his movement. Of course, giving such information would require the CP's security details to secure the Estate gate security until he arrives.

2. On arrival at the Estate gate and having PROPERLY identified himself as CP of Lagos State, he ought to have been allowed in immediately. Keeping him at the gate is unnecessarily exposing him to possible attack by criminals. Even a military formation would know better than keep a properly identified CP exposed to danger at its entry point.

3. CP Odumosu didn't need to tell the Estate security men the exact house he was going to before being allowed in. That's a classified information until his details secures the house for his safety.

4. Deliberately tagging the CP's visit as social to denigrate him is pure IGNORANCE because even a 'common' DPO is always listening to his radio equipment and giving directives anywhere he is. The fact is that when not on official leave, a CP is at work everywhere and every time.

5. I doubt if the police singled out that widow for arrest for nothing. She may have jumped into the matter and said unsavoury things. Being a resident in an Estate, I am familiar with some 'radical' busybody residents that would jump into issues without complete knowledge.

6. This is not the first gated estate that the CP has had cause to visit in Lagos. The truth is this incident was avoidable if only the Estate security was more professional and less power-conscious. Their unprofessional attitude activated power-tussle mode in the OFFICIAL state police force to show their constitutional superiority. The irony in this drama is that when armed criminals show up at the Estate, it is the official state police men that are called in to risk their lives.

7. By the way, is an estate which has individually-owned houses a private property or a community? If Magodo Brooks is NOT owned and rented out by one person as its private owner, is there any difference between this Estate and for example Ajegunle in the eyes of the law?

8. Yes, Nigeria police has many outright criminals as members but it is still the only one we have to enforce law and order and maintain security.

Whst the Bleep are y'all fiddleheads talking about? If CP comes to my house and I deny him entry means that he must arrest me? On what charge? When does denying a 'police' who is was going for a party entry becomes a crime in the Police Act or the Constitution? On what authority does the CP has to close down the estate? Because he did.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by xxgig(m): 5:36am On Jan 04, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
I like the fact that you try to be objective but still your points are very biased and obviously trying to justify the police.

Firstly, you should know that hotel and estate security don't joke with unauthorized entry. They get sacked and can enter jail due to a resulting crime. Hotel security once prevented DSS from arresting Suleiman till Fayose came to intervene. That is stupid bravery though considering the power these agencies have officially and unofficially.

Secondly estate is shared private property not public ground as the police is claiming. Any policeman without a warrant as well as military officer not on official assignment has no right to enter anyone's private property without informing the owners. That's why the estate is making it clear that he came for a social function.

Lastly I know the estate too is lying by saying that they were assisting him. That's a big lie because that wouldn't lead to any arrest. The security men were likely preventing him because he did not disclose his intentions to them. But legally they're right.

So whether you look at it emotionally or objectively. The Policeman is very wrong here. Estate is private property not public space.
Thank you very much everyone defending the police fail to see that his presence there was for a SOCIAL FUNCTION and not an official assignment.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by nuelyoyo(m): 6:15am On Jan 04, 2022
I believe this version, I knew the police were lying.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by heartbeat84: 6:19am On Jan 04, 2022
The cp must be high on steroids, honestly. does he think he's above the law or cannot be questioned
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by michoim(m): 6:34am On Jan 04, 2022
festacman:

Wao! What a good analysis! Nice one!
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by virginchaser(m): 6:45am On Jan 04, 2022
festacman:

This is the most reasonable input so far. Others are just writing out of emotions.

2 Likes

Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by SpaceAngel: 6:46am On Jan 04, 2022
I wonder if estate security guards will have guts to stop the entourage of a police commissioner in Nigeria.

undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by zikter(m): 6:54am On Jan 04, 2022
Islie:

Wisdom will never depart from you, how will a whole CP stay in traffic for such minutes if his details wouldn't have come down to harass everyone if he has stayed just 4mins not attended to.

Who are they deceiving with their press statement
Well, estate gate is different from traffic. I doubt any of you saying this have gone to that estate. The entrance is automated and you cannot pass through without the security giving you access. There is road bar and then spikes that can destroy your tyres if you force entry without the use of the token in possession of the security. I doubt if the delay was up to 30 minutes though. Again, it should be noted that, the CP is the face of police image in any state, I highly doubt any act of irresponsibility where he is. This statement by the estate is not convincing either. In any case I feel the guards must have done something out of order to warrant what happened.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by waldigit: 6:56am On Jan 04, 2022
DelTel:
Most of these estates have become an island sadly

Some deny access to road users under the guise of securing their estates to the detriment of other people's lives (Isheri Magodo is a case in point)

We can't really blame them. The government too has failed in ability to secure people and charged them to secure themselves.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by prophetfire: 6:57am On Jan 04, 2022
festacman:

. You really understand what is involved. I don't like police and their way but those foolish security and estate residents, I don't know what they think they are to lock out a CP or start demanding for explanations from him. And ignorant people who can't separate facts and laws from emotions is supporting their foolishness.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by virginchaser(m): 7:01am On Jan 04, 2022
olibeans:
This fortunate monkey is lucky he's in Lagos and not in the East. He would've been bush meat..

... And you proudly support that. I am so shock you are still allowed here.

1 Like

Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by waldigit: 7:02am On Jan 04, 2022
SpaceAngel:
I wonder if estate security guards will have guts to stop the entourage of a police commissioner in Nigeria.

undecided undecided
Security are humans and CP is also one. Both of them would end up 6 feet under the ground. Can you beat that? The real issue is we don't really know how it happened.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by waldigit: 7:09am On Jan 04, 2022
The security guards are just mere victims of circumstance. Presently l know that CP is not in a good book of the estate executives. Their lawyer said recently that they would sue the police for their role recently I'm an attempt to invade the estate to execute a court judgement in the dead of night. More than 100 policeman were involved with bulldozer. They were prevented from gaining entrance by estate exco. So it's between the CP and the estate exco.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by virginchaser(m): 7:11am On Jan 04, 2022
tshtsh:
Lagos state government should come out clearly and take a position on this rubbish residents have turned many neighborhoods into. Where I live in Lekki 1 I woke up one day and saw them constructing/mounting gates all over the place sometime in 2020. Then one day came I was headed home and was stopped by some men in blue who asked me where I was going to and the access code. I got annoyed and told them I knew nothing about this rubbish of a thing as this is even a public road and it was wrong to mount a gate on it. The man asked me to call a number if I was truly a resident and I told them if they didnt open the gate I'll leave the car there and walk away. Cars began to queue up due to my insistence and they let me in after insulting me and calling me names. I called the so-called association and they told me I had to pay 15k monthly for a sticker and they'll be sending access code weekly via sms. I told them that will never happen as I was never informed or a party to this non-sense. I and other residents of the rock drive became known for causing chaos at the gate thus they have been reluctantly letting me in.

Many may argue that the CP was overzealous but I feel its about time the government takes a position on this nonsense where a few residents mount gates on public roads and begin to harass innocent citizens. On the rock drive there is a hospital (olive hospital) and you need access code to get into the street to get to the hospital. I have never seen a society like this.

Situation like this keeps bringing ex Lagos governor Fashola to my memory. Instruction was given to dismantled all gates in Gbagada estate Pedro area. Estate gate is gradually spreading to other states as Lagos is seen as a pacesetter.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by lele007: 7:13am On Jan 04, 2022
JohnBullMySon:

Secondly estate is shared private property not public ground as the police is claiming. Any policeman without a warrant as well as military officer not on official assignment has no right to enter anyone's private property without informing the owners. That's why the estate is making it clear that he came for a social function.

take correction: the residences within the estate are private property and cant be accessed without a warrant if entry is prevented, but IF THE ROADS WITHIN THE ESTATE ARE PUBLIC ROADS, even private citizens should not be prevented, talkless of police chiefs whether on social or official call.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by Toktee(m): 7:29am On Jan 04, 2022
festacman:

Magodo Brooks Estate or whatever it is called is not a State within a State. It is no Vatican. Nigerian Police has absolute constitutional jurisdiction over it.
With the above statements i hereby concludes that you are a local champ with little or no knowledge of Nigeria's Constitution.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by Kdon2: 7:32am On Jan 04, 2022
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by GrandMasters: 7:35am On Jan 04, 2022
virginchaser:

Situation like this keeps bringing ex Lagos governor Fashola to my memory. Instruction was given to dismantled all gates in Gbagada estate Pedro area. Estate gate is gradually spreading to other states as Lagos is seen as a pacesetter.
so that you can go there with your boys and rob them freely abi

Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by zikter(m): 7:40am On Jan 04, 2022
Sarmiz24:

The estate is a private property not a public office oga use ur head
Please can you define the private you imply here? Who owns that estate? I don't understand. If the CP was forcing his way to someone's house who did not invite him, I will understand the private you are talking about
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by zionstaar75: 7:41am On Jan 04, 2022
DelTel:

A CP, in uniform or otherwise, can enter anywhere within his jurisdiction and police job is 24 hours

You keep missing it, the estate is not a private house or residence

A policeman/neighborhood watch/any security official can enter/patrol any street or estate at any time of the day irrespective of a normal street or estate road

A private dwelling is a house not the estate; an estate is a public area. All roads are public roads

Check sane climes we all want Nigeria to be like, you can not even park your vehicle on the lawn area in your private house as it is regarded a public area; so if lawn area is not yours, how much more the road. Think about it grin
u are defending nonsense,in a sane society can d cp be ordering arrest of people like that?he's just power drunk.as simple as that
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by lexy2014: 8:02am On Jan 04, 2022
GerogeI:

This is the festering problem being exported from Lagos to the east, I pray the Nigerian police does something about all the illegal security outfits.

If a residential scheme is planned and its internal roads are planned and approved by town planning authority, it is not a private estate, unless expressly designated as one by town planning.
If a residential scheme has individual houses awarded seperate certificate of occupancy by the state government, no matter its previous designation, it is not a private estate as each occupant has seperated rights.

Every single Nigerian has equal unalienable rights to move unobstructed through public roads and space no matter where they are as enshrines in the constitution as human rights.-Freedom of movement

So any security outfit obstructing movement on a public road, that is not the police is illegal. Even the police is only allowed checkpoints not obstruct public roads. Any permanent structure, gate barriers, or sorts erected on a public road is illegal because you need a certificate of occupancy over the road before erecting such.

This problem is festering, with criminal groups entering estates in the name of security, and extorting the residents with monthly dues. Visit Idado estate in Lekki, the group there is so mad, they are setting up gates on every street, they are no longer chasing intruders, but locking in residents unless they pay them every month.

The Lagos state government , and Nigerian Police should dismantle these estate security setups before they grow into full blown "Money for Protection" gangs inhibiting commerce and business. The problem is also gradually spreading to the East, Enugu State to be precise. I have not seen much of the rubbish in Awka and Onitsha.

U haven't answered my questions:

Based on section 41 of the constitution so quoted, are u saying that any Nigerian walk into aso rock or the police headquarters in abuja quoting that law?

In Section 4(g), was the street in question open to the public? Also take note of the word "facilitate". Was the CP facilitating or carrying out this function as at the time he visited the estate?

When u say that by reason of "sections 18 1(b) and (C) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law of Lagos, 2015 (as amended in 2021) a police officer is mandated to arrest a suspect who commits an offence in the officer's presence or [b] a person who obstructs the police officer why executing his duty without an arrest warrant, can u pls tell me the arrest the CP was effecting and the offence that was committed?
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by lexy2014: 8:03am On Jan 04, 2022
Krismas:
grin grin Oh no. Its ur turn to prove the CP was faulty to have sought entrance into d estate and in locking up those who tried to stop him. grin grin Ur inability to prove these, is my prove dat d CP was very right. Thank u

Good. Then answering the following questions shouldn't be a challenge for u:

If working time is 8am to 4pm, kindly answer the follow up question in question 4 below. Meanwhile, u are yet to answer questions 1, 2, 3 and 5:

1. Why was it wrong to have prevented the CP from entering the estate?

2. What law justifies the actions of the CP?

3. How does the secrecy of the DSS exempt it from the rights of the police?
What are those rights?

4. When is "working hours" for the police? At what time did the CP attempt to enter the estate?

5. Can u quote verbatim the law that says that "the CP is empowered by law to enter that estate at working hours"?

6. Can u show me the argument u are referring to?
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by lexy2014: 8:04am On Jan 04, 2022
ikeseeholdings1:
let's be sincere to ourselves bro

How does everything that u say he has said justify the actions of the CP?
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by ShaqFu: 8:08am On Jan 04, 2022
This is gross abuse of power.
Re: Detained Security Guards, Widow Didn’t Deny CP Entry,Lagos Estate Tackles Police by JackTiger: 8:10am On Jan 04, 2022
Upon all the money that are wasted for this people to go for overseas training,they can't even learn civility on their job....Is this how NYPD heads display power in New York?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

PHCN Divided And Liquidated By FG / Amaechi In A Twist Of Fate, Seeks Protection In The Same Courts He Shut Down / Femi Gbajabiamila, Sanwo-Olu Visit Oba Of Lagos, Akiolu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.