Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,202 members, 7,780,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:54 PM

How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. (16031 Views)

Kdp. Kindle Amazon Books And Corona Virus Profits Method / How I Started Making Money Producing Human Parts / How I Started Making $25 Daily Online from a 5k investment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 3:45pm On Jan 03, 2022
Let me just book this space to share my KDP journey so far. Some people might need it.

Below is a screenshot of ''how it started'' and ''how it's going''.

Modified

After losing my banking job around May 2020 due to COVID, I started looking for ways to make money online. Fiverr and Upwork came to mind. So I bought a laptop and decided to give it try. I already gave Fiverr a shot in 2015 when I was looking for a side hustle, but gave it up after I couldn’t land a gig for about two weeks. So, I went through some threads on here and I got discouraged about Fiverr and Upwork again.

Then I started looking for other ways to make money. I saw threads on Domain flipping, blogging, copywriting (I spent weeks on Venzal’s thread), paid surveys (chuksbaby), and co, but it was Helioshay’s thread about KDP that really got me. His story was touching and I couldn’t help but give it a shot.

I started making research on here and found other KDP threads by iLegend, Dabocity, mk82, Obamartins, Eliok, and more. There was so much to learn. Then one day while reading a particular thread, I saw Obamartins ‘viewing the topic’ and I decided to holla.

To be continued...

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

I’m currently offering mentorship for 20k to some folks about KDP. Although I’m still a novice myself but I can teach what I already know and how I got here.

*Modified
10/1/2021

Newbies can now join the mentorship program. Dedication and hard work do pay off.

Note: I can only mentor those who have published at least one book (kindle and paperback version must have gone live). I really can’t afford to start afresh for a newbie.

*But I can give a completely newbie a title to test run. Get the title published (kindle and paperback version). Then we can talk about mentorship.

Teaching my best friend KDP from scratch in November was real work, but was worth it after I saw the smile on his face when he made over $200 in December (I gave him my best selling title though).

Modified on 2/1/2023

Mentorship now #30k

11 Likes

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Phantom042: 12:21am On Jan 04, 2022
Do you run ads?

1 Like

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Tohsynetita1: 12:41am On Jan 04, 2022
interested in it +2348031542509
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Femolacaster(m): 5:44am On Jan 04, 2022
Galacious1:
Let me just book this space to share my KDP journey so far. Some people might need it.

This is massive! Did you run ads?
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 9:06am On Jan 04, 2022
Femolacaster:

This is massive! Did you run ads?
Not yet. But I'm considering it this year.
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 9:07am On Jan 04, 2022
Tohsynetita1:
interested in it +2348031542509
interested in what exactly?
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by talk2razaq: 10:13am On Jan 04, 2022
Galacious1:

Wow...Abeg share tips for those of us that are just starting out. You are doing well.
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Femolacaster(m): 10:34am On Jan 04, 2022
Galacious1:
Ok, thanks for you reply.
What type of book do you publish and how many do you have in your bookshelf presently?

1 Like

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Kingkyle1(m): 11:41am On Jan 04, 2022
Nice 1

2 Likes

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 1:01pm On Jan 04, 2022
Femolacaster:

Ok, thanks for you reply.
What type of book do you publish and how many do you have in your bookshelf presently?

60% of my books are Cookbooks. I have about 80 books but 32 are low contents which I already unpublished. I don't want to hear story.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by frankycoolbeans: 1:48pm On Jan 04, 2022
Galacious1:

Modified

After losing my banking job around May 2020 due to COVID, I started looking for ways to make money online. Fiverr and Upwork came to mind. So I bought a laptop and decided to give it try. I already gave Fiverr a shot in 2015 when I was looking for a side hustle, but gave it up after I couldn’t land a gig for about two weeks. So, I went through some threads on here and I got discouraged about Fiverr and Upwork again.

Then I started looking for other ways to make money. I saw threads on Domain flipping, blogging, copywriting (I spent weeks on Venzal’s thread), paid surveys (chuksbaby), and co, but it was Helioshay’s thread about KDP that really got me. His story was touching and I couldn’t help but give it a shot.

I started making research on here and found other KDP threads by iLegend, Dabocity, mk82, Obamartins, Eliok, and more. There was so much to learn. Then one day while reading a particular thread, I saw Obamartins ‘viewing the topic’ and I decided to holla.

To be continued...

Great Result.
Can you Tutor me on KDP?
Cheers & Happy New Year!
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2022
frankycoolbeans:

Great Result.
Can you Tutor me on KDP?
Cheers & Happy New Year!
please send a dm
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Tohsynetita1: 4:33pm On Jan 04, 2022
Galacious1:
interested in what exactly?
in the business
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 12:21am On Jan 05, 2022
...continuation

I asked for a title and got it. The title was hot as at then. I sourced for the materials online and started writing. It took about 4 weeks to finish the manuscript. It was hectic. I didn’t know it was that stressful. Learned how to format on YouTube.

Then the issue of cover. Last time I designed anything was in '07 when I was learning Desktop Publishing in one computer training center. We used Coreldraw back then, but I didn’t want to pay a dime for the software online. So I used another 1 week to design the cover using Canva. Since using Canva required data, I only worked from 11pm till I get tired (which was usually around 3am).

After I was done with the cover, I was in a rush to upload. I just inputted rubbish in the keyword boxes and submitted.

I expected immediate sale (abi after using more than 5 weeks on the book what should I have expected?). I was mad when I didn’t see any sale on my dashboard after a whole 48 hours of publishing.

I started making research to know If there was something I didn’t do. Then I discovered book promotion in one thread. Oh! I should’ve promoted the book immediately after publishing. I did the 5 days free book promotion. Suddenly there was a bar in my sales dashboard. I smiled. Way to go!

The smile was short-lived. I was so disappointed when i found out the bar was for free books. Some wicked souls downloaded over 30 free copies of my ebook but couldn’t spare just $3 to buy one kindle book (paperback was too challenging: formatting and the cover drama. I didn’t bother doing that version).

The freeloaders downloaded over 150 free version of my book and no one bought shiit during the 5 days promotion. Mi o se mo!

Abeg make I edit my CV. LinkedIn how far?

To be continued...

3 Likes

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 9:33pm On Jan 06, 2022
KDP pays. Learn as much as you can.

2 Likes

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by belovez(m): 12:37am On Jan 07, 2022
Someone who did not know how to write or written a book before can he learn and excel in KDP? or there's a system or way to go about the writing?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2022
belovez:
Someone who did not know how to write or written a book before can he learn and excel in KDP? or there's a system or way to go about the writing?

Yes or yes
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by belovez(m): 10:25pm On Jan 07, 2022
Galacious1:

Yes or yes

If I get you correctly you mean such a person can excel and there's also a system to go about writing.
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 10:41pm On Jan 07, 2022
belovez:

If I get you correctly you mean such a person can excel and there's also a system to go about writing.
You got me right
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 10:42pm On Jan 07, 2022
... Continuation

After about a month of not landing a job I decided to give KDP another shot. I started watching YouTube videos and learning a lot. But there was too much info out there. Some were even contradicting eachother. Overwhelming.

I reached out to one of the few gurus and paid for mentorship. Learned a few things. He was really helpful. He gave me a topic to try out. “At least 10,000 words manuscript,” he said.

I sourced for materials and got to work. I couldn’t get more than 5,000 words. Took me 3 weeks to complete. I didn’t like the idea spending so much time on just one book. I managed to format, design cover, and published (Kindle version alone. The paperback cover issue was too much for me). I lost interest again.

This business is definitely not for me. Abeg make I go start small physical business with the remaining cash with me. This making money online thing na scam jare.

I quit!

To be continued...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by BamideleIyanu89: 12:40am On Jan 08, 2022
Galacious1:
... Continuation

After about a month of not landing a job I decided to give KDP another shot. I started watching YouTube videos and learning a lot. But there was too much info out there. Some were even contradicting eachother. Overwhelming.

I reached out to one of the few gurus and paid for mentorship. Learned a few things. He was really helpful. He gave me a topic to try out. “At least 10,000 words manuscript,” he said.

I sourced for materials and got to work. I couldn’t get more than 5,000 words. Took me 3 weeks to complete. I didn’t like the idea spending so much time on just one book. I managed to format, design cover, and published (Kindle version alone. The paperback cover issue was too much for me). I lost interest again.

This business is definitely not for me. Abeg make I go start small physical business with the remaining cash with me. This making money online thing na scam jare.

I quit!

To be continued...

Boss please your location sir
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 6:08am On Jan 08, 2022
BamideleIyanu89:

Boss please your location sir
Ah. Why in the world would I want to reveal?

2 Likes

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Solanaa: 10:20am On Jan 08, 2022
Oh God, I really need to start something online.
but this 20k, where i go see am baayii?? embarassed

2 Likes

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Solanaa: 10:20am On Jan 08, 2022
Oh God, I really need to start something online.
but this 20k, where i go see am baayii?? embarassed

2 Likes

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Iamfavored: 12:24pm On Jan 08, 2022
Congratulations!
Obamartins is definitely a great guy.
He is one person I respect in kdp biz.

He's my mentor.

He once gave me a keyword which made us millions from from another biz(on the same keyword) I discovered in the course of my research.

Kdp rocks if you got a good mentor.

I wish you well, op.
Blessings!

4 Likes

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 1:22pm On Jan 08, 2022
Iamfavored:
Congratulations!
Obamartins is definitely a great guy.
He is one person I respect in kdp biz.

He's my mentor.

He once gave me a keyword which made us millions from from another biz(on the same keyword) I discovered in the course of my research.

Kdp rocks if you got a good mentor.

I wish you well, op.
Blessings!

Thanks bro. More blessings!

1 Like

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by funsho75(m): 10:20pm On Jan 08, 2022
Galacious1:

Which category of books make more sense

Low content
Or content
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 11:14pm On Jan 08, 2022
funsho75:

Which category of books make more sense

Low content
Or content
From my experience, high content books.

1 Like

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by BamideleIyanu89: 6:04am On Jan 09, 2022
Galacious1:
Ah. Why in the world would I want to reveal?

Lol, thinking maybe I can learn it one on one sir
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by funsho75(m): 8:34am On Jan 09, 2022
Galacious1:
From my experience, high content books.

What do you think sell d most

Children books
COOKING
Stories
Romance

Etc

??
Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by MissSweet(f): 1:07pm On Jan 09, 2022
Galacious1:
KDP pays. Learn as much as you can.
Hey. Been reading on KDP for some while now and seeing your experience made me feel I'm not alone. I need guidance from experienced folk. How can I get mentored. Although I've published 1 book hard amen e-book. Seems I not doing things right and I don't want to waste time. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How a Novice Started Making Money on Amazon KDP. by Galacious1: 2:35pm On Jan 09, 2022
BamideleIyanu89:

Lol, thinking maybe I can learn it one on one sir
WhatsApp is okay.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I Donated $900,000, Not $14 Million To US University: Borno Oil Billionaire / Nigeria Earns N472bn From Cocoa, Others / 9 Safe Internet Transactional Habits You Must Obeserve!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.