Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) (1382 Views)

The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by LesbianBoy(m): 5:22pm On Jan 03, 2022
So i went to a store to get some groceries and while the person in the store was attending to me, i decided to look around and i saw this packaged item. It was a groundnut. What surprised me was the name on it "Monkey nuts"

A closer look and i realised it was the groundnut we eat back in Naija.

I ​took a picture of it and i will put the groundnut i am talk about so y'all can understand better.

To me this is subtle racism o. Of all names while "monkey"? Abi is that the real name of the groundnut?

Lalasticlala

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by LesbianBoy(m): 5:22pm On Jan 03, 2022
angry
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by vastolord4(m): 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2022
This one is small naa... someone was stabbed in in shoulder for wearing justice for Floyd.. for a case that has already been closed

1 Like

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by illicit(m): 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2022
Did they said it's from a country of monkeys

1 Like

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by ritzyvic1(m): 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2022
Nope
I nope, it's a subtle indicator that your mind has been bruised by racial discrimination.
From the victim's lens, you see it that the shop owner kept it there specifically for you "the monkey" wink cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by LesbianBoy(m): 5:53pm On Jan 03, 2022
ritzyvic1:
Nope
I nope, it's a subtle indicator that your mind has been bruised by racial discrimination.
From the victim's lens, you see it that the shop owner kept it there specifically for you "the monkey" wink cheesy

If I nack you jazz now, people wee say I am wicked! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by Origin(f): 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2022
Just googled it.....

Seems the British calls it monkey nut...

It's left to the British to now justify the name but if it is predominantly found on a black continent it just might have racist connotations.
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by uthlaw: 6:14pm On Jan 03, 2022
Racism is still better than tribalism and religious bigotry where buhari values is cow more than you!
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by ednut1(m): 6:22pm On Jan 03, 2022
LesbianBoy:
So i went to a store to get some groceries and while the person in the store was attending to me, i decided to look around and i saw this packaged item. It was a groundnut. What surprised me was the name on it "Monkey nuts"

I ​took a picture of it and i will put the groundnut i am talk about so y'all can understand better.

To me this is subtle racism o. Of all names while "monkey"? Abi is that the real name of the groundnut?

Lalasticlala
it doesn’t grow in their land. So they didn’t know its from the ground na hence the name ground nut

1 Like

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by Cousin9999: 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2022
It's an old UK term that comes from referring to in-shell peanuts sold at zoos to feed animals. No one really uses the term anymore.

There's nothing wrong with being aware, but pick your battles. And use your camera as a weapon.

1 Like

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by Tokskob2008: 6:37pm On Jan 03, 2022
Monkeys love eating this particular shell groundnuts a lot.

You need to see the speed at which they crack open the shell when giving even human beings are not as fast as they are when cracking it open.

I know this because my former boss usually buys this groundnuts daily for his pet monkey to eat. There's nothing racist in the name.

5 Likes

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by Originalsly: 7:18pm On Jan 03, 2022
It depends .... if wants to buy nuts for his monkey.... then that's the one ... clearly labeled.... monkey nuts .... nothing racist in that. But if you somehow think you are a monkey.... and they labeled the nuts so you can easily get them.... then who is really racist?

4 Likes

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by KingAzubuike(f): 7:28pm On Jan 03, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Lalasticlala
It's also called peanut and what you know as groundnut. They call it monkey nuts too. China is the largest producer of groundnut in the world even the USA is 4th just after nigeria. The racism part it meaningless.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by iyatrustee(f): 8:16pm On Jan 03, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Lalasticlala

You still dey Nairaland? cheesy cheesy cheesy

I saw it once too, my church mind dey wonder if na cooked groundnut or na roasted grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by LesbianBoy(m): 8:21pm On Jan 03, 2022
iyatrustee:

You still dey Nairaland? cheesy cheesy cheesy

Iya trusteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee grin grin tongue tongue

I still dey o but don't come here as often as before angry
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by iyatrustee(f): 8:25pm On Jan 03, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Iya trusteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee grin grin tongue tongue

I still dey o but don't come here as often as before angry

Your mates dem no dey here again na tongue
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by LesbianBoy(m): 8:29pm On Jan 03, 2022
iyatrustee:

But you are still here tongue
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by Kenn55: 2:26am On Jan 04, 2022
Racism racism racism. It seems that everything is now viewed from a racial angle. Na waa ooo.
Make una take am easy before una die from an imaginary racial hypertension.

3 Likes

Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by eteebanky1: 12:38pm On Jan 04, 2022
Kenn55:
Racism racism racism. It seems that everything is now viewed from a racial angle. Na waa ooo.
Make una take am easy before una die from an imaginary racial hypertension.

No mind them
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by greenie77: 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2022
There is nothing racist about it.
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by motymop: 10:53am On Jan 05, 2022
Are you a monkey?
Re: Is This Subtle Racism? (Photos) by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jan 05, 2022
iyatrustee:

Omo see as you fine for profile shey you're single or taken ...?

(1) (Reply)

Another 9/11 Averted. God Help Us. / Get France Visa In 2 Weeks,payment Will Be Made After Comfirmation Of The Visa / American Passport Renewal: Current Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.