Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development (9806 Views)

Back-end Development Is So Boring And I Hate It. / 40% Off On Full Stack Web Development (front End And Back End) Training In Abuja / Front-End Developer Or Back-End Developer: Which Job Title Has A Higher Salary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by OfficialTuplea: 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2022
INTRODUCTIONS

If you are just starting website development, you probably have heard a lot of talk about website design, frontend and backend development. It is quite normal to be confused. They all sound the same.

Essentially, the difference between frontend and backend web development is that the first one serves the client side (what we see on the front i.e. a screen) and the latter is supporting the server side (what’s under the hood of a website).

While these two types of programming are certainly distinct from one another, they’re also like two sides of the same coin. A website’s functionality relies on each side communicating and operating effectively with the other as a single unit.

Frontend developers don’t actually design these front-facing aspects of a website—this is the job of a web designer, or more specifically, a UI designer. Web designers are concerned with design: the look and feel of the website, how it’s laid out, and what buttons and touch points the user experiences. Frontend developers are concerned with functionality; the engineering that transforms these designs into a live, interactive website using the front end languages.

What is Front End Development?

The frontend of a website is what you see and interact with on your browser. Also referred to as “client-side.” It includes everything the user experiences directly: from text and colors to buttons, images, and navigation menus.

The main front-end languages are HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language), CSS (Cascading Sheet Style) and JavaScript. HTML creates and organizes web content so it can be displayed by a browser. CSS accompanies HTML and defines the style of a website’s content, such as layout, colors, fonts, etc. JavaScript is a programming language used for more interactive elements like drop down menus, modal windows, and contact forms.

Other front end tools are web frameworks like Bootstrap, Django, and Angular, JavaScript libraries like React, jQuery, and CSS extensions like Sass and LESS.

Together these essentials create everything that’s visually presented when you visit a webpage—whether it’s online shopping, reading the news, checking your email, or conducting a Google search.

What is Back End Development?

The backend (or “server-side”) is the portion of the website you don’t see. It’s responsible for storing and organizing data, and ensuring everything on the client-side actually works. The backend communicates with the frontend, sending and receiving information to be displayed as a web page. Whenever you fill out a contact form, type in a web address, or make a purchase (any user interaction on the client-side), and your browser sends a request to the server-side, which returns information in the form of frontend code that the browser can interpret and display.

Some common backend languages are Ruby, PHP, Java, .Net, and Python. These programming languages often run on frameworks that simplify the web development process.

One Final Word

The distinction between frontend and backend is not always so clear-cut. Some developers are proficient in both the frontend and backend; these are what are known as full-stack developers.
If you still have any grey area in website development and you want clarification, be sure to send a private message. See bio for links.
I also help with mentorship, training and services in web development. See my signature for contact details.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by Fhantom: 11:18pm On Jan 05, 2022
I am interested in programming. Pls can you tell me which institutions I can attend to learn programming abroad
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by Holymann(m): 12:33am On Jan 06, 2022
I'm currently learning python for backend development.
Which laptop would you suggest I buy from the following

1. HP ProBook 6570b 4gb RAM, core i5 3rd gen
2. Lenovo Thinkpad L540 8gb RAM, core i3 4th gen
3. HP Elitebook 8560p
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by OfficialTuplea: 9:30pm On Jan 06, 2022
Fhantom:
I am interested in programming. Pls can you tell me which institutions I can attend to learn programming abroad

Hi, I can't really tell you best institutions abroad for learning programming since none of them is bankrolling or paying me for advert.

But I'm sure the right quest on Google search engine can guide you to one of the best.

See my signature for conversation links

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by OfficialTuplea: 9:36pm On Jan 06, 2022
Holymann:
I'm currently learning python for backend development.
Which laptop would you suggest I buy from the following

1. HP ProBook 6570b 4gb RAM, core i5 3rd gen
2. Lenovo Thinkpad L540 8gb RAM, core i3 4th gen
3. HP Elitebook 8560p

Boss, all of the above laptops would do the job for you. If there is need you can always upgrade.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by DigiMarketas(m): 8:38pm On Jan 18, 2022
Contact for services in web development and design.

www.tuplea.com.ng
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by Chiiamaka: 1:51am On Jan 19, 2022
Was a good read.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by OfficialTuplea: 5:30am On Jan 19, 2022
Chiiamaka:
Was a good read.

Thanks.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by WIREMIND: 8:24pm On Jan 19, 2022
Thank you, now I get it.
I have been looking for clear distinction between frontend n backend development.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by OfficialTuplea: 9:24am On Jan 21, 2022
WIREMIND:
Thank you, now I get it.
I have been looking for clear distinction between frontend n backend development.

You are welcome.

Follow to get more updates on related tech news and articles.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by agukings: 2:12pm On Jan 21, 2022
i am interested in programming , where can i learn around Ikeja
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by bet9ja(m): 8:25pm On Jan 21, 2022
OfficialTuplea:
INTRODUCTIONS

If you are just starting website development, you probably have heard a lot of talk about website design, frontend and backend development. It is quite normal to be confused. They all sound the same.

Essentially, the difference between frontend and backend web development is that the first one serves the client side (what we see on the front i.e. a screen) and the latter is supporting the server side (what’s under the hood of a website).

While these two types of programming are certainly distinct from one another, they’re also like two sides of the same coin. A website’s functionality relies on each side communicating and operating effectively with the other as a single unit.

Frontend developers don’t actually design these front-facing aspects of a website—this is the job of a web designer, or more specifically, a UI designer. Web designers are concerned with design: the look and feel of the website, how it’s laid out, and what buttons and touch points the user experiences. Frontend developers are concerned with functionality; the engineering that transforms these designs into a live, interactive website using the front end languages.

The frontend of a website is what you see and interact with on your browser. Also referred to as “client-side.” It includes everything the user experiences directly: from text and colors to buttons, images, and navigation menus.

The main front-end languages are HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language), CSS (Cascading Sheet Style) and JavaScript. HTML creates and organizes web content so it can be displayed by a browser. CSS accompanies HTML and defines the style of a website’s content, such as layout, colors, fonts, etc. JavaScript is a programming language used for more interactive elements like drop down menus, modal windows, and contact forms.

Other front end tools are web frameworks like Bootstrap, Django, and Angular, JavaScript libraries like React, jQuery, and CSS extensions like Sass and LESS.

Together these essentials create everything that’s visually presented when you visit a webpage—whether it’s online shopping, reading the news, checking your email, or conducting a Google search.

The backend (or “server-side”) is the portion of the website you don’t see. It’s responsible for storing and organizing data, and ensuring everything on the client-side actually works. The backend communicates with the frontend, sending and receiving information to be displayed as a web page. Whenever you fill out a contact form, type in a web address, or make a purchase (any user interaction on the client-side), and your browser sends a request to the server-side, which returns information in the form of frontend code that the browser can interpret and display.

Some common backend languages are Ruby, PHP, Java, .Net, and Python. These programming languages often run on frameworks that simplify the web development process.

One Final Word

The distinction between frontend and backend is not always so clear-cut. Some developers are proficient in both the frontend and backend; these are what are known as full-stack developers.
If you still have any grey area in website development and you want clarification, be sure to send a private message. See bio for links.
I also help with mentorship, training and services in web development. See my signature for contact details.
Nice writeup, if i may ask, why is Javascript missing from the backend technology stack. You may need to include it.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by Papilagreen: 2:17am On Jan 22, 2022
OfficialTuplea:
INTRODUCTIONS

One Final Word

Do you have you job portfolio so I can go over them and see your work and then we can continue from there??
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by DigiMarketas(m): 5:42pm On Jan 22, 2022
www.tuplea.ccom.ng

Papilagreen:

Do you have you job portfolio so I can go over them and see your work and then we can continue from there??
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by OfficialTuplea: 5:11pm On Jan 24, 2022
Hello sir,

Kindly check your email box

Papilagreen:

Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by ThatKebbiDevelo: 6:05am On Jan 26, 2022
We build great Websites at www.tuplea.com.ng
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by BJanta: 3:18pm On Jan 26, 2022
OfficialTuplea:
INTRODUCTIONS

One Final Word

What a nice job you did. GOD bless you.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by OfficialTuplea: 8:35am On Jan 28, 2022
BJanta:

What a nice job you did. GOD bless you.

Thank you.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by ThatKebbiDevelo: 11:27am On Feb 21, 2022
Contact for web development services on 08132380951
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by ThatKebbiDevelo: 2:50am On Mar 10, 2022
Need Digital marketing services company? Discuss on 0808-911-2717
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by ThatKebbiDevelo: 5:21pm On Apr 03, 2022
Your business needs a website.

Check out the plans on https://website.tuplea.com.ng
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by ThatKebbiDevelo: 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2022
Visit https://website.tuplea.com.ng for cheap and affordable websites.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by TheOgaBoss: 6:21pm On Apr 17, 2022
bet9ja:
Nice writeup, if i may ask, why is Javascript missing from the backend technology stack. You may need to include it.
not JavaScript, nodejs.
Re: Difference Between Website Design, Front End And Back End Development by BerislavHR: 2:01pm On Apr 18, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
not JavaScript, nodejs.

JavaScript is multifaceted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Database Administrators On Nairaland / How Do I Develop A Mobile Application? / Developing An Operating System - What Are The Prerequisites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.