Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative (12282 Views)

NNPCL, Marketers Clash Over Subsidy, Operators Peg Petrol At N1,200/litre / President Tinubu Meets Oil Marketers Over Subsidy Removal / President Tinubu Meets With Falana In Aso Rock Over Subsidy Removal, Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by InvertedHammer: 7:56am On Jan 06, 2022
/
The same kind of transport palliative provided by GEJ and Okonjo Iweala that year grin grin grin

/
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Babastrong(m): 7:57am On Jan 06, 2022
[quote author=Moferere post=109120558]Count me in on any protest against fuel price increase.

This government will understand the meaning of UNRULY when we start.

#EndSarsNow will be like child's play[ Yin mu]
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Gaabasky: 8:03am On Jan 06, 2022
And someone is tipping Osinbanjo for the President. It's pity that they failed to remember where they were n where their name will be written after they left their post.

With the unbearable hardship the Govt and pandemic covids had caused the only options left for El-Rufai initiated, saddenly embraced by the Pastor turned Profesior in the corridor of power is subsidy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Fcwilly: 8:13am On Jan 06, 2022
But PMB said that there is nothing like fuel subsidy during gej regime and I believed him, up till now I still believe him that nothing like subsidy, so what happened that you now want to remove a non-existing subsidy? PMB I put it to you that lied to us to gain our vote or you are lying now to enrich yourself of the subsidy fund.

Please defend yourself Mr president.
Bullying and harassment is not allowed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Preator: 8:15am On Jan 06, 2022
This is something else. Who removes a Petrol subsidy of 120bn monthly (that is enjoyed by most Nigerians) and replace it with a 200bn monthly transport allowance that will be paid to unidentifiable 40million individuals for 12 months? thats replacing a fairly transparent subsidy with an opaque and untraceable subsidy of higher amount.

If you want to remove subsidy, just do it. We all know subsidy is bad. offer Nigerians something else like reducing tarrifs/duties on consumables.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by lagba04(m): 8:17am On Jan 06, 2022
This is the type of assignment they always give him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Advocate500: 8:23am On Jan 06, 2022
backbencher:
The fact is, we should have removed this subsidy in 2012 when we had the money to pay all the palliatives we wanted

But many Nigerians, including APC opposed the move because politics

Now APC is taking a decision that should have been taken ten years ago, and if we had taken it ten years ago by now we would have ha refineries,jobs, more income and more investment and we would have been exporting refined product by the ton.

Anyway,subsidy has to go,but APC should know that they goofed up in 2012
most of you will comment as if those reading your comments are fools, at what point can you say that subsidies have been removed oga? Fuel was increased from 87 to 140,140 to 167,then they have not finished removing subsidies, oga how do we know when subsidies have been removed?

Talking about making savings from subsidies removal, what happened to reducing cost of governance? Can't we makeup whatever we losing from subsidies payment from the gain we made from reducing cost of governance?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Saverin: 8:24am On Jan 06, 2022
Who are these people?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Luckydubby7(m): 8:26am On Jan 06, 2022
Echoban:

Uncle Jonathan GEJ sold fuel for #140. Stop giving us ill info to suit ur stereotype bitter mind.
For week remember before wicked people like you, including this same buhari, tinubu and osinbajo destroyed his good intentions about fuel subsidy.
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 06, 2022
Advocate500:
most of you will comment as if those reading your comments are fools, at what point can you say that subsidies have been removed oga? Fuel was increased from 87 to 140,140 to 167,then they have not finished removing subsidies, oga how do we know when subsidies have been removed?

It's called a partial removal of subsidy, not a full removal

SO long as government controls the price, there is a subsidy.

Talking about making savings from subsidies removal, what happened to reducing cost of governance? Can't we makeup whatever we losing from subsidies payment from the gain we made from reducing cost of governance?

We should reduce cost of governance, well well, but it won't solve our cash crunch problem at all.

P.S Don't abuse me, and I did not assume that anyone reading my comment is a fool. Thank you
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Lush100(m): 8:27am On Jan 06, 2022
fishman:
Believe what any nairalander types here at ur own peril...Fellow Nigerians we love talking too much and scared when it comes to act ...No country ever moves forward this way
Trust and mark my word the increase will happen and nothing will happen

There will definitely be protest.
U will be surprised, people are already at boiling point, it's a matter of how long the protest will be

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 06, 2022
Advocate500:

As a follow up to my previous response, I am re-posting this

Partial subsidy removal is what has been happening since at least 1981...when fuel cost 15 kobo and was raised to 45 kobo

The thing is , subsidy is the money paid to the petroleum sector to cover the loss that results from them selling fuel at a price below the production cost of the fuel per liter....a price forced on them by government by the way.

Part of the money also goes to the transport sector to keep transporting the fuel costs down.

Problem with subsidy is the cost of production. It never stays at one level. It always rises because oil workers want to be paid higher salaries...from the drillers to the processors, and also because maintenance costs rise as well, as do transport costs, and costs of upgrades.

We destroyed our refinereis by refusing to pay those costs , meaning NNPC could not afford to upgrade and maintain refinereis (what they are doing in PH and Warri is something that should have been done in decades). Salaries were paid directly out of the oil revenue, not from NNPC earnings, because NNPC has been running at a loss

Thus we ended up importing and importing fuel..as at 2011 we imported 80% of our fuel used here. THat added a lot more costs, and thus more subsides.

From time to time, government reduces the amount of money spent on subsidy, which manifests as a price increase. That is what they mean by subsidy removal...which in reality is partial subsidy removal.

It's also why fuel does not cost 15 kobo like it did 41 years ago.

For more info...read link below

Fuel subsidies in Nigeria
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by surgical: 8:36am On Jan 06, 2022
royalamour:
When it comes to issues that requires emotional intelligence and technicality, they send Osinbajo.

Gwongworo man will always run away from it.

Not for the numbers, these people shouldn't be near sensitive positions.

It not funny.
They want us to know it is buhari/osinbajo government, we will know they reck the country together
So that in 2023 when they are touting him,we would like to know what he is going to do differently, or if he has capacity at all, or we should just give it to him because he is the VP
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Perfectbeing(m): 8:37am On Jan 06, 2022
bcomputer101:
There's nothing as FUEL SUBSIDY -GMB 2014

Today the same id!ot parading himself as our president now want to remove what he claimed it doesn't exist.
With due respect sir, God will punish you.
Thunder fire your left yansh for the suffering you've brought on Nigerians
It's just the same way that you'll say Nigeria is a very rich country when you're not in power and then when you get there, you'll see that of truth, Nigeria is very broke. But then you can't eat your words back.
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by poiZon: 8:38am On Jan 06, 2022
Basheer22:
Remove subsidy and the masses will burn this country. Endsars will be a child's play as this one touches everybody. Buhari's ratings are already low in Arewa, he wants to cement his legacy as a disaster.
Nothing will happen baba.

Infact nlc will have 2 factions, one being controlled n projected by govt to cause division in their union.

The govt faction will totally support govt actions and accept any form of palliative thrown at us.
After 5days of littering , loitering n toiling around major streets in Nigeria, una go return back to ur homes.
Baba will jet out to dubai to attend security submit organised by islamic scholars.
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by topoftheworld(m): 8:43am On Jan 06, 2022
Na to prepare my load and go to village ooo
grin grin
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Advocate500: 8:43am On Jan 06, 2022
backbencher:

As a follow up to my previous response, I am re-posting this

For more info...read link below

Fuel subsidies in Nigeria
let me agree with you that subsidies removal is gradual process ,only this government have increased fuel 2times within 6years and also planning to increase for the 3time and you see nothing wrong with that? I know you are a paid propagandist.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 06, 2022
Advocate500:
let me agree with you that subsidies removal is gradual process ,only this government have increased fuel 2times within 6years and also planning to increase for the 3time and you see nothing wrong with that? I know you are a paid propagandist.

Good morning.

i've backed fuel subsidy removal since 2012., and been interested in the topic since 1993. So, calling me a paid propagandist does nothing for me.
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by tunjilana: 8:56am On Jan 06, 2022
backbencher:
The fact is, we should have removed this subsidy in 2012 when we had the money to pay all the palliatives we wanted

Now APC is taking a decision that should have been taken ten years ago, and if we had taken it ten years ago by now we would have ha refineries,jobs, more income and more investment and we would have been exporting refined product by the ton.

You are making it sound like it is subsidy that is making it hard for the govt to fix refineries!!!. Why cant the govt fix refineries or even build new ones and let importation go away as well as subsidy. Truth remains that even after subsidy removal, the same corruption that has been preventing govt-owned refineries from working, will still remain, the only thing that will thrive are private refineries like Dangote and more...and those ones will sell at international best prices...they may even claim or actually import the crude they use...or will u force a private businessman to use his cassava to make garri for Nigerians to eat when there is a demand for same cassava abroad @ premium dollar...For all we care Dangote may do more of exports than fixing our local consumption...A responsible govt will ensure we have state-owned, non-corrupt, functional refineries before even talking about subsidy...The reasons why they brought in subsidy is still here ....remove the reason and it will go naturally

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by KingGBsky(m): 8:57am On Jan 06, 2022
There is nothing like fuel subsidy. This is just a way of taxing Nigerians to finance the loans they keep borrowing. This country is a mess. How can one fuel car and fuel gen with this kind of price.

For those talking about strike with those dead NLC, you just hit a dead end. Nothing will happen.
You protest, they bring out police and soldiers to kill you and the suffering continues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by KingGBsky(m): 8:59am On Jan 06, 2022
Echoban:

Uncle Jonathan GEJ sold fuel for #140. Stop giving us ill info to suit ur stereotype bitter mind.

I guess you are ready to buy fuel for 340. Why are we complaining then. Useless country with daft followers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by surgical: 8:59am On Jan 06, 2022
TheRareGem1:
There is never a better time to remove subsidy however, this proposed N5,000 for transport palliative is small considering the present economy situation in the country and I hope the VP find a level playing ground to make happy both parties.
you have no brain,I wonder how you will get by in life if you don't ass lick, which is a job that requires no IQ at all
Which subsidy are you talking about, if they want to remove subsidy, they should first remove importation, then we can now remove subsidy if there is any,but to punish us for their incompetence and corruption is unfair and unacceptable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by KingGBsky(m): 9:04am On Jan 06, 2022
backbencher:

The problem and the solution is not subsidy removal. When they increased fuel 187-147 then it reduced fuel subsidy dependency by a lot.. the the fuel kept increasing simply because naira keep devaluing. Immediately they remove fuel subsidy, the naira will keep devaluing and fuel price steady increasing like diesel.

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by tunjilana: 9:07am On Jan 06, 2022
backbencher:

Partial subsdy removal is what has been happening since at least 1981...when fuel cost 15 kobo and was raised to 45 kobo

The thing is , subsidy is the money paid to the petroleum sector to cover the loss that results from them selling fuel at a price below the production cost of the fuel per liter....a price forced on them by government by the way.

Part of the money also goes to the transport sector to keep transporting the fuel costs down.

Problem with subsidy is the cost of production. It never stays at one level. It always rises because oil workers want to be paid higher salaries...from the drillers to the processors, and also because maintenance costs rise as well, as do transport costs, and costs of upgrades.

We destroyed our refinereis by refusing to pay those costs , meaning NNPC could not afford to upgrade and maintain refinereis (what they are doing in PH and Warri is something that should have been done in decades). Salaries were paid directly out of the oil revenue, not from NNPC earnings, because NNPC has been running at a loss

Thus we ended up importing and importing fuel..as at 2011 we imported 80% of our fuel used here. THat added a lot more costs, and thus more subsides.

From time to time, government reduces the amount of money spent on subsidy, which manifests as a price increase. That is what they mean by subsidy removal...which in reality is partial subsidy removal.

It's also why fuel does not cost 15 kobo like it did 41 years ago.

I disagree with you. Those costs you listed are not the major things that keep incrasing the cost of fuel. the real deal is the international price of crude and the cost of shipping from wherever we import from.

As long as we keep importing, we are subjecting ourselves to factors that should naturally not affect us per se. The advantage of being an oil producing nation is eroded, we are forced to land refined products just like every nation who doesnt have crude at their backyard.

It is like a farmer who exports cassava(crude) only to buy garri(petrol) fom a nation who has invested in garri processing machines(refineries) and sources cassava(crude) from all over the world at international best prices... He is buying that garri at the same rate someone in Alaska who doesnt have tropical temperature to plant cassava, will buy it. that is the curse our leaders have subjected us to!!!....

If we have working refineries and a daily allotment of crude, sufficient to take care of our domestic consumption, NNPC will still sell at rates enough to pay good salaries, maintain infrastructure and do most of the stuff u mentioned without killing Nigerians... To even add icing to it, they may begin to refine and sell petrol instead of crude, thus earning more revenue

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by KingGBsky(m): 9:09am On Jan 06, 2022
duality:
So which subsidy was removed before

I've still not got answer to that question.

This games are used for price increase

It’s just a scam. They are not removing any subsidy. They are just bringing out ways for Nigerians to pay for the fall of naira and subsequently pay for the loans they keep collecting.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by gabby1002(m): 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
These people are really agents of the devil. It gladens their hearts when they see us going to bed empty stomach. There is hardship already in the county, why adding more? I see in the nearest future our leaders will found no one to govern.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 06, 2022
tunjilana:

I disagree with you. Those costs you listed are not the major things that keep incrasing the cost of fuel. the real deal is the international price of crude and the cost of shipping from wherever we import from.

As long as we keep importing, we are subjecting ourselves to factors that should naturally not affect us per se. The advantage of being an oil producing nation is eroded, we are forced to land refined products just like every nation who doesnt have crude at their backyard.

It is like a farmer who exports cassava(crude) only to buy garri(petrol) fom a nation who has invested in garri processing machines(refineries) and sources cassava(crude) from all over the world at international best prices... He is buying that garri at the same rate someone in Alaska who doesnt have tropical temperature to plant cassava, will buy it. that is the curse our leaders have subjected us to!!!....

If we have working refineries and a daily allotment of crude, sufficient to take care of our domestic consumption, NNPC will still sell at rates enough to pay good salaries, maintain infrastructure and do most of the stuff u mentioned without killing Nigerians... To even add icing to it, they may begin to refine and sell petrol instead of crude, thus earning more revenue

And we don't have working refineries because in order to reduce subsidy costs in the past,goverment essentially reduced refining costs by not doing maintenance and such like

That's why they all broke down

If you want working refineries, you let them set the price of what they produce so that they can make enough profit to pay worker , maintenance and upgrade costs.

Subsidy removal is really for improved domestic refining. The refineries make profits which can be reinvested in the refineries and in things like worker welfare
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 06, 2022
tunjilana:

You are making it sound like it is subsidy that is making it hard for the govt to fix refineries!!!. Why cant the govt fix refineries or even build new ones and let importation go away as well as subsidy. Truth remains that even after subsidy removal, the same corruption that has been preventing govt-owned refineries from working, will still remain, the only thing that will thrive are private refineries like Dangote and more...and those ones will sell at international best prices...they may even claim or actually import the crude they use...or will u force a private businessman to use his cassava to make garri for Nigerians to eat when there is a demand for same cassava abroad @ premium dollar...For all we care Dangote may do more of exports than fixing our local consumption...A responsible govt will ensure we have state-owned, non-corrupt, functional refineries before even talking about subsidy...The reasons why they brought in subsidy is still here ....remove the reason and it will go naturally

It is easy to fix refineries and goverment is fixing port Harcourt and Warri refineries.

But they have to operate at a profit to be sustainable which is where subsidy removal comes in

Dangote too needs subsidy removal so that he does not refine fuel above 200 naira and sell below N170 losing 30 naira or more in the name of subsidy
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Luckydubby7(m): 9:34am On Jan 06, 2022
backbencher:

It's called a partial removal of subsidy, not a full removal

SO long as government controls the price, there is a subsidy.

We should reduce cost of governance, well well, but it won't solve our cash crunch problem at all.

P.S Don't abuse me, and I did not assume that anyone reading my comment is a fool. Thank you
Did government told u now that they will stops controlling the price? Do we bet?
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 06, 2022
Luckydubby7:

Did government told u now that they will stops controlling the price? Do we bet?

Good morning good sir
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Joylove2324(f): 9:59am On Jan 06, 2022
Re: Osinbajo Panel To Meet NLC Over Subsidy Removal, Transport Palliative by Basheer22: 10:32am On Jan 06, 2022
poiZon:

Nothing will happen baba.

Infact nlc will have 2 factions, one being controlled n projected by govt to cause division in their union.

The govt faction will totally support govt actions and accept any form of palliative thrown at us.
After 5days of littering , loitering n toiling around major streets in Nigeria, una go return back to ur homes.
Baba will jet out to dubai to attend security submit organised by islamic scholars.

Who is waiting for NLC? That useless association of bribe beggars. They have lost all legitimacy and will sell you out cheaply.
The protest is not an NLC protest, it is by the masses.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: Drop Your Ambition, Support Obi, Group Urges Atiku / Governor Akeredolu Campaigns For Tinubu, APC Candidates In Ondo South / Tinubu Inherited The Worst Economic Challenges So Far In Nigeria’s History - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.