Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,415 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria (28676 Views)

Get Your Health More And More Better Now With Hygiene Made Winter Bedsheets / Why Black Men Need To Take Their Mental Health More Seriously / Ban On Codeine: Lagos Unveils Comprehensive Strategy To Address Mental Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 12, 2022
Comedian2019:
Thank God I have left Lagos. Wereys everywhere.
I once asked one innocent looking young man where a particular junction is (not knowing I was at the junction already). He told me to go ahead, that I will pass two more junctions, that the third one is the junction.
To reconfirm, I asked a woman selling paraga how far is that junction from where I was, she then told me I was already there, that the bus I would take to Agege is just across the street.
I then discovered that the innocent looking man is far from innocent.
Maybe he didn't know the location and was guessing

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Adeoba10(m): 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2022
No be Nigerian... People wey dey steal coffin go do firewood
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by phemmyfour: 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:
I opted to post this in the Health section because I realised, for the first time in all my years in Lagos (and that is my entire life) that many are mad in Lagos but few are are confined in asylums. We don't take mental health seriously enough in Nigeria.

I had left office around 5.30 pm and had not gone far when a junior colleague called me that he had left his entire earthly possessions back in the office, vis his house keys, wallet and phone and the admin office was closed. His excuse was he did not know I would be leaving early. After blasting him for his lackadaisical attitude, I told him where to meet me to get my keys. I was already in transit and the traffic was rapidly moving and If he hurried he would meet me at the traffic light before it turned green.

He drove halfway and had to run the remaining half because of the traffic. He was just about 45 seconds away from me and I could see his approaching form, but the lights had changed to green and we were about moving, so I quickly tossed the bunch of keys on a horizontal signboard on the road median. The dude got to me just as we were about to cross and I yelled at him to go back and check the board. He nodded and ran back.

To my chagrin and ongoing bafflement, he called me back that there were no keys on the board. I told him to check properly, on the sides and even under the board. He rang off, and then called back some minutes later, insisting that he couldn't find any keys. I was forced to alight half way and go back to the junction where all these drama was unfolding. I thought my eyes were paining me when I checked and discovered that the bunch of keys had grown legs and run off in the 45 seconds/ 1 minute it took for my colleague to reach the point where I had tossed the keys.

That is how me and this boy started rigmaroling the road median like construction workers, searching through dirt and grass for my large, shiny bunch of keys that had mysteriously disappeared in plain sight. After about 30 minutes of fruitlessly searching even in portions of the median that I knew I had passed before that fateful toss, we were forced to give up after admitting to ourselves that a Lagosian had seen me tossing the keys and immediately pounced on them like the lunatic he was.

Kai, it is still paining my spirit, soul and body. cry

My question now is this: what is anyone going to do with a bunch of keys that is totally useless to him? What?

There is a legion of lunatics roaming freely on this streets of the Gidi. undecided
This is Lagos.... anything and everything is not useless. Those keys will be melted and sold out
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by shantti(m): 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mom007:
Excuse me. So you could park your car and walk back after the guy called you to say he couldn't find the keys but you couldn't park your car to hand him the keys like one would do to a fellow human being instead of throwing it on the floor for him to pick as if he was a sub human! The time you didn't want to waste showing simple courtesy and dignifying your fellow man, did you not waste that and more looking for the key and trying to gain entrance into your locked office? Na waa o. What did you say is the topic of this your thread again?

I tire oh
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by investigator007: 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mental health? If they want to prove into that then more than half the population will go to jail cos mehn, Nigerians dey mad.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 12, 2022
A lesson for you as well. Always be calm to people, no matter what. In your calm and right sense, despite the traffic ahead or the green light before you. You would have reverse, or park for a safer place to give him the key. Never be in an hurry no matter what. And stop yelling at your junior colleague, mistake is as constant as change. Thank you as it my little piece wink

4 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by thelegend1(m): 8:09pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mom007:
Excuse me. So you could park your car and walk back after the guy called you to say he couldn't find the keys but you couldn't park your car to hand him the keys like one would do to a fellow human being instead of throwing it on the floor for him to pick as if he was a sub human! The time you didn't want to waste showing simple courtesy and dignifying your fellow man, did you not waste that and more looking for the key and trying to gain entrance into your locked office? Na waa o. What did you say is the topic of this your thread again?

Karma was served in real-time. He now came here to rant and garner public validation/sympathy.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by edward1106(m): 8:11pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:
I opted to post this in the Health section because I realised, for the first time in all my years in Lagos (and that is my entire life) that many are mad in Lagos but few are are confined in asylums. We don't take mental health seriously enough in Nigeria.

I had left office around 5.30 pm and had not gone far when a junior colleague called me that he had left his entire earthly possessions back in the office, vis his house keys, wallet and phone and the admin office was closed. His excuse was he did not know I would be leaving early. After blasting him for his lackadaisical attitude, I told him where to meet me to get my keys. I was already in transit and the traffic was rapidly moving and If he hurried he would meet me at the traffic light before it turned green.

He drove halfway and had to run the remaining half because of the traffic. He was just about 45 seconds away from me and I could see his approaching form, but the lights had changed to green and we were about moving, so I quickly tossed the bunch of keys on a horizontal signboard on the road median. The dude got to me just as we were about to cross and I yelled at him to go back and check the board. He nodded and ran back.

To my chagrin and ongoing bafflement, he called me back that there were no keys on the board. I told him to check properly, on the sides and even under the board. He rang off, and then called back some minutes later, insisting that he couldn't find any keys. I was forced to alight half way and go back to the junction where all these drama was unfolding. I thought my eyes were paining me when I checked and discovered that the bunch of keys had grown legs and run off in the 45 seconds/ 1 minute it took for my colleague to reach the point where I had tossed the keys.

That is how me and this boy started rigmaroling the road median like construction workers, searching through dirt and grass for my large, shiny bunch of keys that had mysteriously disappeared in plain sight. After about 30 minutes of fruitlessly searching even in portions of the median that I knew I had passed before that fateful toss, we were forced to give up after admitting to ourselves that a Lagosian had seen me tossing the keys and immediately pounced on them like the lunatic he was.

My question now is this: what is anyone going to do with a bunch of keys that is totally useless to him? What?

There is a legion of lunatics roaming freely on this streets of the Gidi. undecided
If you had removedove money from your pocket and given it to someone closest there, the key would have come out.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Tallesty1(m): 8:14pm On Jan 12, 2022
emaskocoded:

Pls is it the soft copy you have, I've been trying to download it but can't find it
Yes, it's the soft copy
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Mom007(f): 8:15pm On Jan 12, 2022
thelegend1:

Karma was served in real-time. He now came here to rant and garner public validation/sympathy.
No mind the bugger! undecided
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by chronique(m): 8:23pm On Jan 12, 2022
I think you are to blame here. You were actually looking for the easy way out by not coming down from the bus to give him the keys and hence, you tossed it out of the window of a moving vehicle, expecting him to get to it. Eventually, he didn't see it and you still had to alight and go back to where you tossed the key and even spent time looking for it? What does that teach you? No matter how inconveniencing it may be, always try to do things the right way. Short cuts aren't always worth it and could be sometimes very disastrous.

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ten06(m): 8:23pm On Jan 12, 2022
The day I gave up on lagos was when I boarded a bus going to ikontu, on the way a guy blocked our bus and started fighting with the driver. Being a good Samaritan I jumped down and helped the driver to tackle the guy until he ran away, all the while the conductor was just around us doing nothing to support the fight.
After the guy has gone I discovered that my phone has been stolen.

3 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by TheGreatIYANU: 8:31pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:
I opted to post this in the Health section because I realised, for the first time in all my years in Lagos (and that is my entire life) that many are mad in Lagos but few are are confined in asylums...

I don't know if anyone has said it on this thread but your colleague is complicit. With your description of events, the keys should have been in his line of sight when you threw it. How come he did not see it come out the window?

Never underestimate the evil people can do (even to themselves), to spite others.

Ps, to the people on the thread asking why she (Op) could not park her car to give her colleague... talking about 'karma', I am genuinely afraid for you guys. Except you did not read the post, you may actually be a victim of this topic.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by xelly: 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2022
My first suspect will be that the person that picked the key may know you and the office and sees it as Avenue to gain entrance. It may not be today, the person may go and reproduce your key and later return it to that portion you left it. I suggest you change those locks.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by MidaserveNG: 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2022
grin
Felimax:
Lagos and the funny stories and mad experience. Thank God I am no longer there. Port Harcourt is better at least with better pay also.
We were inside a bus at Alen junction about to leave for Iyana-ipaja when we started looking for the owner of a big traveling bag who we suspected is also a passenger in the bus, for almost 10 mins nobody could lay claim to the bag, so we decided to give it out or just leave it by the bus stop there that was when this man screamed that he is the owner of the bag.
All the while we were looking for the owner he has been with us but his mind very far away. I felt it.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Focusmind: 9:21pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mom007:

I was surprised at other people's comments before I read yours. You must be a very good student of literature to grasp this story. She is the one with mental problems. The anger in her had already built up that she couldn't hold it again. The reason why she threw the keys at her colleague.
Typical of Nigeria's corporate bosses. Arrogant and always disrespectful towards their junior colleagues. She should have waited for him to politely hand over the keys to him. Throwing something at someone is demeaning and you could only do that to someone you don't respect or value.
Op need to work on her on mental state as her state of mind wasn't in order based own how she acted. I was actually thinking she wanted to draw an inference between mental health and the way she acted.

6 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by MidaserveNG: 9:21pm On Jan 12, 2022
cry
Ten06:
The day I gave up on lagos was when I boarded a bus going to ikontu, on the way a guy blocked our bus and started fighting with the driver. Being a good Samaritan I jumped down and helped the driver to tackle the guy until he ran away, all the while the conductor was just around us doing nothing to support the fight.
After the guy has gone I discovered that my phone has been stolen.
Ever heard of "e fit be you"? It happens a lot.. just need to be extra conscious

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by chatinent: 9:27pm On Jan 12, 2022
I suspect the next vehicles coming. A passenger may have deliberately picked it to hurt you.

Man is evil.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by LoudlyMouthed: 9:34pm On Jan 12, 2022
CalabarPikin:

Iron condemn
Try check here, it could be there probably
Kindly increase the Volume grin
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by LoudlyMouthed: 9:37pm On Jan 12, 2022
Focusmind:

Typical of Nigeria corporate bosses. Arrogant and always disrespectful towards their junior colleagues. She should have waited for him to politely hand over the keys to him. Throwing something to someone is demeaning and you could only do that to someone you don't respect or value.
Op need to work on her on mental state as her state of mind wasn't in order based on how she acted
I tell you
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by xjiggy: 9:39pm On Jan 12, 2022
Felimax:
Lagos and the funny stories and mad experience. Thank God I am no longer there. Port Harcourt is better at least with better pay also.
We were inside a bus at Alen junction about to leave for Iyana-ipaja when we started looking for the owner of a big traveling bag who we suspected is also a passenger in the bus, for almost 10 mins nobody could lay claim to the bag, so we decided to give it out or just leave it by the bus stop there that was when this man screamed that he is the owner of the bag.
All the while we were looking for the owner he has been with us but his mind very far away. I felt it.
Bro I hope you're taking care of your lungs with some of that money because the black soot in Port Harcourt is more dangerous than cigarette smoke.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Buzx: 9:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
What has you losing your keys got to do with the mental health of Nigerians?
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by YorubaKing: 9:44pm On Jan 12, 2022
The moment I realized >90% of Nigerians have mental issues was when I saw them supporting politicians, pastors and MC Oluomo.

I knew, that's it! undecided
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 10:21pm On Jan 12, 2022
ShaqFu:
Nope, it's not lunacy, it is wickedness. I'm very sure the person who took it saw you throw it to that guy and this was his or her way of showing you their true colours.
My dear brother, o ya mi l'enu
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 10:22pm On Jan 12, 2022
thelegend1:

I will suggest you evaluate your mental health before labeling others lunatics. You couldn't spare 5 mins to park by the road and give your colleague the Keys in hand, and was eventually delayed for over 30 minutes. Yet you came here to rant and blame someone else.
I'm very sure you would've waited and even bought gala and coke (to offer the person) if it was your boss or senior colleague.

Are you related to or mentored by Buhari? Quit with your double standards.

Take responsibility for once as an adult!
^^

Na dem
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by justmondris: 10:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:

Thinking that the bunch of keys is useless to the person that picked it, is a sign that you are not security conscious. Do you know if the person that picked the keys knows the location of your office and might visit it at night to steal some things?
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 10:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
iamyemiakins:
Someone prolly De Gea'd the bunch of keys just as you threw it, maybe one prophet told the picker that the key to the door of his heavenly blessings will be released to him this week and should be on the lookout grin
Now this is very funny cheesy

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 10:29pm On Jan 12, 2022
doctokwus:

The person that stole the key is a psycho na,a candidate for Yaba left.
As an aside,mental health is a far more serious issue than you have highlighted because it affects everyday working people,couples and otherwise normally hardworking people with a source of income.
Many people in work places are going through but are bottling it up because it's not an issue that is being critically looked into in Nigeria and mental health challenges has a stigma no one wants to be associated with.
But it's real,it's happening in offices, homes and many facets of Nigerian society.
It's quite distinct from the psycho that stole those keys that have no single use for him.
I quite agree with you. We are very spiritual in this part of the world and ascribed mental instability brought by stress to 'demons'. While there are spiritually engineered mental problems, don't get me wrong, we should not overlook the ones that are caused entirely by the attrition of living in a country like Nigeria where life is short, hard and brutish.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by VicM6: 10:34pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:

My oga, people dey para now for this country o....even slippers now, dem don dey thief am for people door step...gbola don carry ur key's go since, na money bdat for them.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Authoreety: 10:46pm On Jan 12, 2022
Your friend may have the key, u get it? you don't get it, 4g3t it
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Elohe001: 11:05pm On Jan 12, 2022
Your topic should be in Lagos not all of Nigeria cuz Lagos is the capital of mental health problems and issues and disorders in Nigeria. So, wrong topic
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Chidimizzle: 11:09pm On Jan 12, 2022
Tallesty1:
And the title of the book I dropped before opening this thread is nearly all the men in lagos are mad

That's a nice book, finished it last week.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prison Officer Commits Suicide Over Inability To Pay House Rent / Anambra Extends Lockdown, Tightens Measures, After Recording First Covid-19 Case / Does Funbact A Bleach D Face?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.