Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:31 PM

Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls (9798 Views)

Nigerians In UK, Pls Help / Please I Need Help On Living And Working In Seychelles / Advice on living in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by bountimore: 8:01pm On Jun 18, 2011
Hi all
PLease does anyone stay in Northampton or surroundings, am about moving for my msc program in the university of northampton and i need u pals to explain to me how life is there, accomodation, feeding, part time job e.t.c
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Thelonius: 8:54pm On Jul 11, 2011
I just stumbled on this thread and thought to contribute. I presently live in Northampton and it is a mid-sized town, not as busy as London and not as quiet as Guildford, although there's been a subtle influx of people into the town in the past year.

The town's almost in the center of UK, it's an hour train ride from London and Birmingham so you can easily reach those commercial areas if you please.

Accommodation is relatively cheap, depends on how comfortable you want to be (room only or flat). Rooms start from about £250 (bills inclusive) and could go as high as £350. It is advisable to compare this cost with what the school offers, school accommodations are often more expensive but you can't quantify the benefits of living with your classmates and living a stone throw away from your lecture halls.

There's regular bus services round town, a week pass costs £11, I think students do have a discounted term pass arranged through the school.

There are plenty African stores, so if you're the type that cooks plenty Naija delicacies then you won't miss home much but be ready to pay extra for some rare ingredients.

There's a moderate Nigerian presence in Northampton. If you're a christian, I will advice you join one of the churches in town, they have good African communities and they do look out for each other for support, you may consider the established ones like CUMI Liberty House or The Redeemed Church.

Jobs are a bit scarce for now, but if you're dogged and not fussy about the type of job you want, you may score a couple of gigs that pay decent money during your holidays.

I have covered a bit now, let me know if you have additional questions. Best wishes.

6 Likes

Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by xtremetee: 11:44pm On Jul 11, 2011
I currently live in Milton keynes, But have lived in Northampton for few years before. Northampton is a great place to study and live, they have a great Student population. The rent is also cheap and the train station is an easy access to London (30Mins Fast/Direct train). Try to get an accommodation close to the uni so you dont have to spend on buses or cabs too much. The night life is great, there is a good club in Bridge Street called NB's there you can get babes grin grin grin grin
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by bountimore: 8:38am On Jul 12, 2011
Thank you pals

, Yeah really appreciate the info you have passed accross, from your notes the town seems to be the gentle type compared to london.

@Thelonius, yeah thanks for ur detailed info, I intend to get accomodation outside campus,
(1) is it ok/secured to get a shared accomodation or flat with the whites, or i seek one strictly with Nigerians, am not discriminating, but i dont know if u get my point?
(2) what are d job chances? i mean casuals i can do while studying and during holidays, cos thats a major now as that is the only way i can get money for my up keep.

@xtremetee, lmao!, nice one, av gotten to know one more ashewo brother now, and thats u!, ur on point i do club once in a wyl but i guess this wouldn't be possible there now ooo, as per money concern bro, good to know there are babes!, oya attend to the questions i have put to u above and leave babes for now! grin

Also if any of u 2,@xtremetee & @Thelonius can hook me up with someone u can trust that has accomodation(i will pay for rent) and can also help me getting a job, i will really appreciate.
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Thelonius: 11:08pm On Jul 12, 2011
I'm glad the details came in handy. Yes it's quiet compared to the bustle of London and the advantage is reduced accommodation and living cost but because of it's proximity to London it's getting slightly populated these days.

Since you'll be off campus, your best bet might be a shared apartment to save cost. To be honest we're all the same whether white or black, save for companionship sake it really doesn't matter much who you stay with, just make sure it's not a lunatic or a goon. As said earlier, joining an African community like a church or mosque could speed your adaptation as they're always willing to help each other out, they may offer free rooms at reduced costs.

Jobs are declining nationwide or rather the job market's more competitive. Nevertheless folks still get favored, as a student you will have limited work hours so you may settle for temp jobs like packaging & stacking, store assistants, events ushering, marketing, leaflet distributions or office administrators. You may want to consider volunteering to get your self adjusted to the UK work environment too.
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by bountimore: 7:57am On Jul 13, 2011
@Thelonius

Thank you very much, good note from you!, and please do not forget just incase u come accross someone who has accomodation to share or a job offer, just discuss me with such person or hook me up!, Thank you very much, I should apply for my Visa by next week and i will keep you guys posted on how things go.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by xtremetee: 9:39am On Jul 13, 2011
Like Thelonius said, Jobs can be a little bit difficult but trust me as a Nigerian we will survive legally. When you get to Northampton register with Agencies , and also use the job centre website everyday to search for jobs. You will need to settle into the UK environment as quick as possible so I will recommend that you volunteer at the Citizens Advice Bureau there you can learn alot and it will also look good on your CV.

When will you arrive in Northampton? I can introduce you to some of my good friends in Northampton, they may be able to assist you with informations when you arrive.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by bountimore: 10:40am On Jul 13, 2011
Thank you very much xtremetee, it will be a really good thing if u can introduce me like you said, thank you!, my program starts sept 11, so i assume i should arrive the uk btw aug 29 - sept 1, so i can settle down and get prepared. Although I will be applying for my Visa by next week, tuesday prescisely, i have done all necessary requirements and i should apply next week tuesday, I pray for God's favour.

Thank you very much, please keep your people abreast about my arrival and any help they can render, i will keep you posted as things go, i think its not too early to start telling ur friend's about my arrival,if they have accomodation to share and a job vacancy, am ready for any job as far as its about my survival,although i hope for a good one, thanks!

Also i will be willing to join that organization u spoke about, but can u tell me more about them, what are they about? (Citizens Advice Bureau), do they have a website, so i could surf and possibly get info on them?
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by bountimore: 10:43am On Jul 13, 2011
have googled on the "Citizens Advice Bureau" and i am tryna read through the site now, u can equally drop ur suggestions and all u feel about the organization, benefits and all, xtreme!
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by bountimore: 7:54pm On Aug 19, 2011
Thelonius and xtremetee

Please i really need you guys at this point as ,i have finally gotten my visa, an i will be in northampton atleast 2nd week in next month, i'e september, please helps with getting Job and accomodation, please!
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Nobody: 3:20am On Aug 21, 2011
Congrats, Have gat 2 friends there, will ask them for u,
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by bountimore: 7:06am On Aug 21, 2011
Thank u wunmi, I will be waiting
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by xtremetee: 11:47pm On Aug 21, 2011
send me an email on ytd_man@yahoo.com
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by xtremetee: 11:50pm On Aug 21, 2011
use this one adeola.bada@yahoo.com
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by bountimore: 7:10pm On Sep 08, 2011
Hi people, i arrived London yesterday and have been sourcing for accomodation in Northampton, seems to be pretty hard, please can anyone help
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Thelonius: 12:08am On Sep 18, 2011
Good to know you arrived, hope you're loving the experience so far? You'll quickly realize that the word "survival" means the same in regardless of location. Found a place yet?
Try do some search, come up with a shortlist then start making plans on how to come down here and view the apartments. Try search on Gumtree, and google. If you give your email I may scan some newspaper pages to you too.

Best wishes.
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by DisGuy: 9:00am On Sep 18, 2011
bountimore:

Hi people, i arrived London yesterday and have been sourcing for accomodation in Northampton, seems to be pretty hard, please can anyone help

Are you sure? If you contact your school directly first, they will give you lists of available accommodation public/private, your school should be your first point of contact and then the Student union and maybe friends
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by UKSTUDY: 10:36am On Sep 18, 2011
You can contact:
www.ukstudyassist.co.uk

I believe we can help you source for a good accommodation.

This is something you would have sorted out before going but
now you are there never mind, you would be ok.

www.ukstudyassist.co.uk

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Metucity: 4:40pm On Nov 24, 2019
Hello guys. Am happy to read good about Northampton here. I'll be coming over by January 2020 for a two year MBA program at UON. I hope things go well. I've read about so many scary things about how hard life is in the UK especially if you are a self funded student of which I happened to be one. It good to know that it is close to London and one can easily get settled in the city. Thank you guys, I'll always be in touch.
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 24, 2019
Metucity:
Hello guys. Am happy to read good about Northampton here. I'll be coming over by January 2020 for a two year MBA program at UON. I hope things go well. I've read about so many scary things about how hard life is in the UK especially if you are a self funded student of which I happened to be one. It good to know that it is close to London and one can easily get settled in the city. Thank you guys, I'll always be in touch.

Life not hard bro! Believe and yu will survive,... Please erase that mentality �

4 Likes

Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Metucity: 9:15pm On Nov 25, 2019
WARUM:

Life not hard bro! Believe and yu will survive,... Please erase that mentality �

Thanks bro for the encouragement. Do you live in Northampton presently?
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Jay2020: 6:10pm On Dec 25, 2019
Hello guys, thanks for the updates.. I will also be moving to Northampton in Jan 2020 for 2years MSC in PM.. Hey Metucity, when do you plan to leave?
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by HenrySmile: 1:40pm On Jul 28, 2020
Thelonius:
I just stumbled on this thread and thought to contribute. I presently live in Northampton and it is a mid-sized town, not as busy as London and not as quiet as Guildford, although there's been a subtle influx of people into the town in the past year.

The town's almost in the center of UK, it's an hour train ride from London and Birmingham so you can easily reach those commercial areas if you please.

Accommodation is relatively cheap, depends on how comfortable you want to be (room only or flat). Rooms start from about £250 (bills inclusive) and could go as high as £350. It is advisable to compare this cost with what the school offers, school accommodations are often more expensive but you can't quantify the benefits of living with your classmates and living a stone throw away from your lecture halls.

There's regular bus services round town, a week pass costs £11, I think students do have a discounted term pass arranged through the school.

There are plenty African stores, so if you're the type that cooks plenty Naija delicacies then you won't miss home much but be ready to pay extra for some rare ingredients.

There's a moderate Nigerian presence in Northampton. If you're a christian, I will advice you join one of the churches in town, they have good African communities and they do look out for each other for support, you may consider the established ones like CUMI Liberty House or The Redeemed Church.

Jobs are a bit scarce for now, but if you're dogged and not fussy about the type of job you want, you may score a couple of gigs that pay decent money during your holidays.

I have covered a bit now, let me know if you have additional questions. Best wishes.
As regards the amount for the accommodation, is it weekly or monthly?
Hopefully, I will coming September 2020 and thus I am looking for an accommodation outside campus that won't be costly. I hope you or anyone can help here? Please treat as urgent. Thanks
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by HenrySmile: 1:43pm On Jul 28, 2020
Jay2020:
Hello guys, thanks for the updates.. I will also be moving to Northampton in Jan 2020 for 2years MSC in PM.. Hey Metucity, when do you plan to leave?
Hello, I hope you are currently there and how has it been surviving the Covid19?
Please, I'll coming over for my MBA, I'd love update on off campus accommodation and life in general. Thanks
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by HenrySmile: 1:45pm On Jul 28, 2020
Metucity:
Hello, I hope you are currently there and keeping up real good. I'll be joining this September and would love to have updates on activities over there if you don't mind: Accommodation, Living, Jobs, Community, etc. Thanks for your assistance.
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Bonfyn: 11:26am On Sep 21, 2020
Pls @Jay2020 and others, l would like know more as I am coming to Northampton this October for MSc in same PM.
I will need your assistance.

Thanks
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by NomzyJust(m): 4:26pm On Sep 21, 2020
HenrySmile:
Hello, I hope you are currently there and how has it been surviving the Covid19?
Please, I'll coming over for my MBA, I'd love update on off campus accommodation and life in general. Thanks

Bro, I am January 2021. I will soon start my bank statement.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Bolddy(m): 1:56am On Sep 13, 2021
Hello Guys,
Please is there an existing WhatsApp group for Northampton, kindly indicate I beg.
If not can we create one guys.
It's so difficult to get things done with little or no direction.
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by heaven2earth: 10:16pm On Jan 20, 2022
Please how did you sort out the English proficiency issue with Liverpool hope. I have an offer from them, but I have waec older than 5 years but I also have an English pproficiency letter from my school.. Do you know if they will accept it for social work before issuing Cas??
Bolddy:
Hello Guys,
Please is there an existing WhatsApp group for Northampton, kindly indicate I beg.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by Ozionite: 5:45pm On Feb 17, 2022
Bolddy:
Hello Guys,

Any existing whatsapp group for University of Northampton?
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by SerendipityHere: 11:54am On Feb 23, 2022
Hello..

What’s the update with your application?

Have you made payment of the 5k tuition deposit yet? What’s your plan pls?

I emailed you. Try sending me an e message.

Ozionite:

Any existing whatsapp group for University of Northampton?
Re: Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls by SerendipityHere: 1:30pm On Feb 28, 2022
Hello!!!
Where's everybody Anyone for June intake? pls lets connect.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beautiful Visions Of Nigeria And Africa / Scheduling Us Visa Appointment Date / Bta When Travelling To South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.