Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,852 members, 7,806,405 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? (994 Views)

What Should I Do? I'm Confused / Boy Shows His Zanku Legwork, Gbe Body Dance Moves, People Confused About His Age / Lady Shares Stunning Photos with her Mom, But People are Confused Which is Mom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Mayyvin: 7:28pm On Jan 13, 2022
I'll be going for service in a few months and I've got someone who has offered to help me with my posting. She asked me to choose practically any state of my choice except Abuja.

Interestingly, Abuja has always been my first choice (I've got family over there--feeding & accommodation won't be a problem).

But since Abuja is out of the table, I'm a bit conflicted as to which state to pick.

First, I don't like Lagos. That's out of it.
Secondly, I don't want to teach.
Thirdly, I need somewhere with a considerable cost of living (cheap food and housing).

So basically, I need a state where I can begin life as a bachelor and hopefully, get a job or start a thriving business.
This means my preference would be a state bubbling with economic activities and a low cost of living.

I need your suggestions, guys.

Where would you suggest I do my NYSC, going by my aforementioned criteria and your personal experiences?
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by GboyegaD(m): 7:41pm On Jan 13, 2022
Why not just leave it to fate? Must it be influenced? Live each day at a time.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by maiiilooo(m): 7:50pm On Jan 13, 2022
Kano ..
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Mayyvin: 9:26pm On Jan 13, 2022
GboyegaD:

I've thought about that too. But...
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Mayyvin: 9:27pm On Jan 13, 2022
maiiilooo:
Kano ..

Any specific reason(s) why you'd recommend Kano?
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Donpenny(m): 9:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
Op pls can i dm you as regards this too. I need someome to be posted to delta
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by GboyegaD(m): 10:33pm On Jan 13, 2022
Mayyvin:

I've thought about that too. But...

But what? My brother, service year is a great time to reflect on the steps as to the future.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by esthel(f): 3:52am On Jan 14, 2022
GboyegaD:
don't leave it to fate o, before you will end up where you will almost cry, pick ogun and try to be in Abeokuta....should be fair
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Mayyvin: 7:50am On Jan 14, 2022
esthel:
don't leave it to fate o, before you will end up where you will almost cry, pick ogun and try to be in Abeokuta....should be fair
Thanks for your input.

Have you experienced Ogun?
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by FairlyUSEDpussy: 9:06pm On Jan 14, 2022
esthel:

True.....
Decided not to influence my posting.......then again there was opportunity to redeploy.......but didn’t consider it either........

End up posted to one village in Enugu........infact living there was my worst experience so far........

2 Likes

Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by GboyegaD(m): 11:40pm On Jan 14, 2022
OP, once again, it is one year good enough for reflection. Go to wherever you are posted, appreciate the culture, live not just exist, and plan the future. Take it as an opportunity to retreat and discover yourself.

1 Like

Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Redman44(m): 7:37am On Jan 15, 2022
Ondo State or Oyo State. They are viable states where you can settle down and start a Snacks business cool cool cool cool

Especially Oyo State with so many secondary schools and primary schools there. It is a biscuit factory's target market.

Just learn how to make Cakes, Chin-chin, donuts etc and settle in one of them. Cheers.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by ednut1(m): 7:49am On Jan 15, 2022
Just look at terms and conditions he dey list like your papa owns Nigeria. Spoilt brat
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Saintmary(f): 8:50am On Jan 15, 2022
Mayyvin:
I'll be going for service in a few months and I've got someone who has offered to help me with my posting. She asked me to choose practically any state of my choice except Abuja.

Interestingly, Abuja has always been my first choice (I've got family over there--feeding & accommodation won't be a problem).

But since Abuja is out of the table, I'm a bit conflicted as to which state to pick.

Thirdly, I need somewhere with a considerable cost of living (cheap food and housing).

So basically, I need a state where I can begin life as a bachelor and hopefully, get a job or start a thriving business.
This means my preference would be a state bubbling with economic activities and a low cost of living.

Where would you suggest I do my NYSC, going by my aforementioned criteria and your personal experiences?

Pick Nasarawa. It's close to Abuja and you can have easy access to FCT benefits and be close to your family.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Saintmary(f): 8:52am On Jan 15, 2022
Redman44:
Ondo State or Oyo State. They are viable states where you can settle down and start a Snacks business cool cool cool cool

Especially Oyo State with so many secondary schools and primary schools there. It is a biscuit factory's target market.

Just learn how to make Cakes, Chin-chin, donuts etc and settle in one of them. Cheers.

High cost of living will suffocate your allawee. Especially if you can't get a better PPA.
Most likely, you'll end up in a school where you'll get paid peanuts.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Mayyvin: 12:20pm On Jan 15, 2022
ednut1:
Just look at terms and conditions he dey list like your papa owns Nigeria. Spoilt brat

You're a fool.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Richy4(m): 12:35pm On Jan 15, 2022

I will suggest Bayelsa state but there are 80% chances that you will teach.. cheesy
97% chances that you will hate the orientation camp.. grin
100% chances that the locals no send u.. because u go pay house rent at high cost..
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Mayyvin: 2:43pm On Jan 15, 2022
Richy4:

I will suggest Bayelsa state but there are 80% chances that you will teach.. cheesy
100% chances that the locals no send u.. because u go pay house rent at high cost..
Lol. Thanks chief
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by GboyegaD(m): 2:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
Mayyvin:

You're a fool.

You only confirmed his thoughts.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by GboyegaD(m): 3:02pm On Jan 15, 2022
Richy4:

Funny enough, I served in Bayelsa. Wouldn't ask for anything more. For me, it was like "life in Heaven". The lifestyle was strange at first but I came to love it and loved the people. I still keep in touch with some of the locals almost 2 decades after.

1 Like

Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Richy4(m): 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
GboyegaD:

Funny enough, I served in Bayelsa. Wouldn't ask for anything more. For me, it was like "life in Heaven". The lifestyle was strange at first but I came to love it and loved the people. I still keep in touch with some of the locals almost 2 decades after.

I served in Bayelsa state as well more than 2 decades ago.. as a matter of fact we were in the camp 2 days when the report came that the then governor was arrested for money laundering...so do the mathematics....

But..... Hmmmm...I will never wish my enemies to serve in that state during my period of service... things may have improved now.. But Up till now, if anyone should ask the worst things that has ever happened to me, I will say serving in that state..

The Kayama camp was a nightmare..It was during the middle of rainy season... everyone bought extra rubber boots for navigation.. we did not use the kits provided by the federal government... Because u will definitely fall if u wear that because of the slippery nature of the place... One thing about our camp was there was no "AJe- butter" every one was covered with mud...

I remembered our passing out parades rehearsal held in Yanagua, my friend was asking us where those beautiful Corp members came from? If they Were really at Kayama camp those days with us.. Because they were looking clean and lovely..

My brother, the idea of parading under the rain constantly or in the middle of a thunder storm was not fun...The horrible smell of wet socks in the that hostel for 3 weeks deserves a therapy section.., the smelling wet clothes.. chaiii!!!...

What about the network services after we came out of the camp.. I don't wanna go there... On how we climbed on chairs to receive calls, hang out our phones on a tree branches to receive network.. place our phones on a strategic place in the room just to get 2 bars of network strength and use ear plugs to answer calls...

The only nice thing then about that state was constant power supply... sometimes 24hours because they use gas turbine...

As for the people, I will not say that they are bad because I didn't make out time to go and meet them... I was praying for the time to quickly pass so that I can get away... Some of my students liked me then but a lot feel I was snobbish and unapproachable... U see, I see my NYSC days as punishment..I am happy to see someone that was happy serving in that state... It shows that things has improved..

Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by GboyegaD(m): 4:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
Richy4:

I served in Bayelsa state as well more than 2 decades ago.. as a matter of fact we were in the camp 2 days when the report came that the then governor was arrested for money laundering...so do the mathematics....

But..... Hmmmm...I will never wish my enemies to serve in that state during my period of service... things may have improved now.. But Up till now, if anyone should ask the worst things that has ever happened to me, I will say serving in that state..

The Kayama camp was a nightmare..It was during the middle of rainy season... everyone bought extra rubber boots for navigation.. we did not use the kits provided by the federal government... Because u will definitely fall if u wear that because of the slippery nature of the place... One thing about our camp was there was no "AJe- butter" every one was covered with mud...

I remembered our passing out parades rehearsal held in Yanagua, my friend was asking us where those beautiful Corp members came from? If they Were really at Kayama camp those days with us.. Because they were looking clean and lovely..

My brother, the idea of parading under the rain constantly or in the middle of a thunder storm was not fun...The horrible smell of wet socks in the that hostel for 3 weeks deserves a therapy section.., the smelling wet clothes.. chaiii!!!...

What about the network services after we came out of the camp.. I don't wanna go there... On how we climbed on chairs to receive calls, hang out our phones on a tree branches to receive network.. place our phones on a strategic place in the room just to get 2 bars of network strength and use ear plugs to answer calls...

The only nice thing then about that state was constant power supply... sometimes 24hours because they use gas turbine...

As for the people, I will not say that they are bad because I didn't make out time to go and meet them... I was praying for the time to quickly pass so that I can get away... Some of my students like me but a lot feel I was snobbish and unapproachable... U see, I see my NYSC days as punishment..I am happy to see someone that was happy serving in that state... It shows that things has improved..

I'm guessing you are 2005 Batch B. What part of Bayelsa did you serve?
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Richy4(m): 4:18pm On Jan 15, 2022
GboyegaD:

I'm guessing you are 2005 Batch B. What part of Bayelsa did you serve?

That's correct...Okolobiri
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by GboyegaD(m): 4:30pm On Jan 15, 2022
Richy4:

Okolobiri

I served in Brass and was batch A, 2005. Camp was great except that there was no toilet facility. The hostel was very noisy particularly in the middle of the night when the clowns return from their mammy market drinking and escapades. Rarely ate in Mammy and would eat whatever was served.

My platoon was interesting and I enjoyed the friends I made in camp. NCCF also was a great place for me although I fell out with them after camp due to their over stringent rules.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Richy4(m): 4:53pm On Jan 15, 2022
GboyegaD:

I served in Brass and was batch A, 2005. Camp was great except that there was no toilet facility. The hostel was very noisy particularly in the middle of the night when the clowns return from their mammy market drinking and escapades. Rarely ate in Mammy and would eat whatever was served.

My platoon was interesting and I enjoyed the friends I made in camp. NCCF also was a great place for me although I fell out with them after camp due to their over stringent rules.

No wonder u were able to work out the time the Governor was arrested...

I saw some of the Batch A pictures, it was clean.. u guys were on a clean soil looking like people that came to serve the nation... But in our own case, it was as if we came to clean after u guys.. grin... Our pictures were very humbling cheesy

There was nothing like sitting outside after the parade... Abi u wan sit on top of a mud when your body was already wet..? Some cheeky boys who didn't want to parade will go and sleep on another person's mattress, the army will come and empty bucket of water on that mattress thinking it was theres...

I didn't join any organisation except that as a Christian, I have to pray on Sunday and I attended the camp fellowship... I remembered a song they they taught us Called ajuwaya praise the Lord grin it was funny and catchy as well..

The Okolobiri copper's lodge then was one of the best.. everything was there.. I can't say how it was now . But then it was brand new.. it's really nice hearing from u buddy...
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by GboyegaD(m): 5:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
Richy4:

I saw some of the Batch A pictures, it was clean.. u guys were on a clean soil looking like people that came to serve the nation... But in our own case, it was as if we came to clean after u guys.. grin... Our pictures were very humbling cheesy

There was nothing like sitting outside after the parade... Abi u wan sit on top of a mud when your body was already wet..? Some cheeky boys who didn't want to parade will go and sleep on another person's mattress, the army will come and empty bucket of water on that mattress thinking it was theres...

I didn't join any organisation except that as a Christian, I have to pray on Sunday and I attended the camp fellowship... I remembered a song they they taught us Called ajuwaya praise the Lord grin it was funny and catchy as well..

The ikokobiri copper's lodge then was one of the best.. everything was there.. I can't say how it was now . But then it was brand new.. it's really nice hearing from u buddy...

It is nice hearing from you too. I love Bayelsa. It was a moment I can't forget. Remembered the day I got my PPA and saw Twon Brass, in my mind I felt they couldn't even spell Town correctly.

The then CLO came to pick us from camp. We chattered about 2 or 3 busses that took us to the Swahili Jetty. Then I saw the none ending water body.

Some were scared at this point and returned back but I joined after been charged by my younger sister (join your colleagues and whatever happens to one happens to all were her words) since my parents told me I could reject and turn back since the water body seemed unending. The phone call was one I still cherish.

We joined the speeding boat and it was raining at a point but overall, a great experience.

Tubara ooo!

1 Like

Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Peebaby93: 6:17pm On Jan 15, 2022
Go to Benue..the houses are cheap depending on the area.the food are cheap too and you will have peace...but don't go to the villages o....choose the capital (make sure it's the capital)......and Abuja is just 4hrs from Benue so you could touch home sometimes.
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Younghacka(m): 1:17pm On Jan 16, 2022
Richy4:

The Okolobiri copper's lodge then was one of the best.. everything was there.. I can't say how it was now . But then it was brand new.. it's really nice hearing from u buddy...
Bro That Was A Long Time Ago, By 2005 Mobile Telecommunications Was Still Not Spread Around, Thus The Reason For The Poor Network Connection.
Things Have Improved Over The Years, The Camps Are Now Bigger And Newer.
You Should Try Visiting Bayelsa State Anytime Soon.
smiley
Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Richy4(m): 1:28pm On Jan 16, 2022
Younghacka:

Bro That Was A Long Time Ago, By 2005 Mobile Telecommunications Was Still Not Spread Around, Thus The Reason For The Poor Network Connection.
Things Have Improved Over The Years, The Camps Are Now Bigger And Newer.
You Should Try Visiting Bayelsa State Anytime Soon.
smiley

Are u from Bayelsa state? U sound like someone that they can make a brand ambassador... Or face of Bayelsa state grin

1 Like

Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Younghacka(m): 2:40pm On Jan 16, 2022
Richy4:

Are u from Bayelsa state? U sound like someone that they can make a brand ambassador... Or face of Bayelsa state grin
Yes. . . I Am From Bayelsa State
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Confused: What State Should I Do My NYSC? by Adekot: 4:42pm On Jan 16, 2022
Mayyvin:

Come to Benue state, I’m also a serving Corp member

Come to Benue state, I’m also a serving Corp member serving In the state capital here....Makurdi

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me. My Mental Health Is At Stake. / Truebliss Care / Men,try To Have A Supportive Partner.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.