Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,470 members, 7,781,367 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:15 PM

Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? (20389 Views)

My Room Transformation Progress With Cost Breakdown(Photos) / No Drainage: How Can I Report My Landlord To Lagos State Government? Pls Help! / How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by GloryGloryRufus(m): 11:34am On Jan 15, 2022
How much is your rent?
iyke484real:
Hello nairalanders, I trust God we are all fine... happy new year to you all.
Without wasing time I will love to go straight to the point. Comrades and erudites in the house please, I like to know if it's right for my landlord to break into my room and throw out my properties

The crux of the matter.... My rent expired on the 12th of January 2022 today is 14th and my landlord is already threatening to throw out my luggages should I fail to pack out before Sunday, 16th of this month because I promised to pay him yesterday but failed...I pleaded with him to understand that I'm having a little challenge.

I'm a student in the day, security guard at night this I have been doing for the past 3yrs to see myself through school instead of dropping out after I lost my sponsor...I actually had plans of paying my rent before 10th of January with the help of my December salary but it's rather unfortunate that uptill now my boss is yet to pay my December salary...and my landlord doesn't have patience in his dictionary, I can't even go to my room any more because of his threat...I'm just hanging around hoping to see salary alert any of this days but should it tarries and he goes on to throw my things out what can I do? Plus is he right to do that?

Please honourable nairalanders your input in this matter will be highly appreciated...

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mysteriouspee: 11:35am On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:
Without wasing time I will love to go straight to the point. Comrades and erudites in the house please, I like to know if it's right for my landlord to break into my room and throw out my properties

The crux of the matter.... My rent expired on the 12th of January 2022 today is 14th and my landlord is already threatening to throw out my luggages should I fail to pack out before Sunday, 16th of this month because I promised to pay him yesterday but failed...I pleaded with him to understand that I'm having a little challenge.

I'm a student in the day, security guard at night this I have been doing for the past 3yrs to see myself through school instead of dropping out after I lost my sponsor...I actually had plans of paying my rent before 10th of January with the help of my December salary but it's rather unfortunate that uptill now my boss is yet to pay my December salary...and my landlord doesn't have patience in his dictionary, I can't even go to my room any more because of his threat...I'm just hanging around hoping to see salary alert any of this days but should it tarries and he goes on to throw my things out what can I do? Plus is he right to do that?

Please honourable nairalanders your input in this matter will be highly appreciated...

How much is your house rent? I sent you a message

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by nokspos: 11:36am On Jan 15, 2022
though its wrong and you can sue him , but the truth is that nothing is right again in this nigeria. if you sue him now , he might go diabolical with you , just beg and pay him . everybody is just managing each other, even land lord self broke . if its a working system he will have other means of getting money
iyke484real:
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Successmind(m): 11:36am On Jan 15, 2022
Visit a mediation center in any nearest local govt or visit human right dept in any police station..... Thank me later.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by expert555: 11:36am On Jan 15, 2022
Pay your rent in the first place building a house is no gbegbe
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Successmind(m): 11:36am On Jan 15, 2022
Visit a mediation center in any nearest local govt or visit human right dept in any police station..... Thank me later. Ji
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 11:39am On Jan 15, 2022
Dialpad:
If he has a court order.

BTW, why are you doing security job... young man, get out of that BS job... learn an online skill... every time you get paid that salary, convert it to US dollars, you will realize how worthless it is.

Remember I did not say start a business or invest in something, LEARN A DIGITAL SKILL.

Good luck

naso e easy, he wont buy laptop, sub to d connection, eat and buy wares abi no be from d work he go get money to do all this without help from anybody

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Funkymode(m): 11:39am On Jan 15, 2022
It's not, you still have at least 6 months to look for another, and even after this 6 months elapsed and you still haven't gotten a place, he will give you another 6 months and even this again you still haven't, you still have another 6 months, and if you still haven't gotten any, you'll be given the last 6 months, and if you still did not get, then you're on your own
6 months × 4, that's 2 years, the maximum you'll be given without paying a dime through our the period of time, but all this is through court ooo
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by treatise: 11:41am On Jan 15, 2022
RoyalBoutique:

First of all, you should have a separate bank account for your bills.

This is where you put in a percentage of your salary every month, so that by the end of the year, it will not choke.

Secondly, no your landlord has no right to throw your things out.

Thirdly, you can take him to court if he does. If you don't have money for a lawyer, there are many pro bono lawyers that hang around the court.

Either way, you must get justice.

There are NGOs made up of lawyers that handle cases like this free of charge. Just Google it.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mechanics(m): 11:42am On Jan 15, 2022
Maybe you should meet your church members to assist you but don't fail to pay them back.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Benoxvals(m): 11:42am On Jan 15, 2022
That’s a rhetorical question as long as Nigeria is consigned.Its just like asking if it’s right for a landlord to be happy with a Tennat that doesn’t pay his rent on time.
Stop asking question OP.
Find an alternative solution to pay ur rent.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by hohafrank(m): 11:45am On Jan 15, 2022
blaquebelle:
Sorry bro but the rich are the ones that claim right. For example, if he throws you out, would you be able to afford taking legal action?

I just pray someone from somewhere surprises you with the money. God bless your hustle
Firstly,it is not right for the landlord to throw you out.
If he dare try it,just go to any law chamber and make your complain.They will not take money from you because they know they will make fortune from the Landlord for taking laws into his hand.
The Landlord will come begging.
However go tell the Landlord you will pay him as soon as you receive your salary
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Allisgud: 11:48am On Jan 15, 2022
Revolution2022:
Na one thing I hate security job.The salary no pass 20k and them Sabi delay am.
oga na where u work be dat I don see security wey earn up to 67k
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by izubext007: 11:48am On Jan 15, 2022
No , but it's not right for you to owe him rent.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by colestephan86: 11:49am On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:

Hello, I am interested in your case, let chop mugu money on top your landlord head
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by princejones(m): 11:49am On Jan 15, 2022
Your landlord is wrong, you can only talk of owing him if is upto one month from your rent expiratory date. The Lord is your strength
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 11:50am On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:

It is actually your rent that gives you the right to occupy his property.
Legally all you deserve after expiration of your rent is 7 days (14 days in some states) notice to recover the property. At the expiration of the notice period, he must vacate his property
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 11:51am On Jan 15, 2022
RoyalBoutique:

First of all, you should have a separate bank account for your bills.

This is where you put in a percentage of your salary every month, so that by the end of the year, it will not choke.

Secondly, no your landlord has no right to throw your things out.

Thirdly, you can take him to court if he does. If you don't have money for a lawyer, there are many pro bono lawyers that hang around the court.

Either way, you must get justice.

But the landlord he is owing should not get justice?
LoL!!!!
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Tizu(m): 11:51am On Jan 15, 2022
Bujurou:
This is ridiculous

Did you say rediculous? Because you don't know what our young ones pass through in this shit hole of a country without leaders.
Kontinue!
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by elbaraj2020(m): 11:51am On Jan 15, 2022
[quote author=blaquebelle post=109356040]Sorry bro but the rich are the ones that claim right. For example, if he throws you out, would you be able to afford taking legal action?

I just pray someone from somewhere surprises you with the money. God bless your hustle[/quote
Pls stop encouraging rubbish,
Pls OP don't listen to this guy.
Just allow the guy to throw ur stuff out with any legal warrant...when he does that he will realise stupid he is...from all indication he's a poor man, because only poor men react this way in most cases...
Legally you can't by any chance throwaway some's property because he can't pay you in less than 3 month, he must seek legal backing and you must appear before a rent tribunal or competent court of law before such can be granted...don't be scared of going to your house, there is nothing he can do, he can onlyake noise but he throw out ur things...
Before this guy will crucify me, I am speaking from a practical experience, a landlord did to a students whom rent expired but was on break so broke the room and throwout her stuff, could you believe that he paid 2.5mil just compensate her because she claimed that so many of her property are missing worth more than 5mil, and the judge threaten to take him to prison, then he pleaded they settle out of court and she agreed then after much plead she settle for 2.5m...
Aside these there are lots of cases like that, don't be scared in as much is within the time you just stipulated... Another thing is that, if its rent tribunal you won't spend any serious money and your case will settled (maybe free self)
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Lemmyler(m): 11:53am On Jan 15, 2022
MARKone:
You for tell him you are looking for the 500k you kept under the bed, maintain the allegation, next time he will think twice b4 breaking into a tenant's apartment.
If you had 500k in your room, why didn't you pay your rent? That would be the question a police officer or a legal person would ask

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 11:53am On Jan 15, 2022
kmaster007:
Make I giv you hint... Jst ask for human rights inside any of police station tell dem wat hppn... If you won punish dat landlord tell d officer you kept money in the hse wch you don't see again...

But he is right in living in another person's property without paying?
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 11:54am On Jan 15, 2022
Perfecttouchade:
Not at all, he can't throw ur things out...he needs to give u atleast 3-6months I guess.. For anyone who needs an aluminium windows, we've got u covered, just check us out

Give the source of this law you are quoting please!
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by findel: 11:55am On Jan 15, 2022
As a legal practitioner, Your landlord can't throw your things out on his own. If he carry out his threat, it will amount to self help and the law frowns at that. The law is to the effect that no landlord can on his own take any action that will be seen as self help which what you are saying falls.
Landlord tenancy relationship is regulated by law and each state have theirs. Tha law defines modalities that must be followed before a tenant can be ejected from a demised premises. Anything outside that is illegal and an action can lie against such landlord.
Other acts that will amount to self help include Knocking at your door unnecessarily, disconnection of electricity or water to your room or, removal of roofs, changing of locks or door or any act that will breach your rights to undisturbed occupation of the said demised premises. So brief a lawyer around your vicinity.
Again, you can talk to your landlord and explain things to him, and your boss to pay your salary too.

Should your landlord carry out his threats, dont fail to take pictures and have witnesses. You can contact me in 08064438333 , so that i can connect you to a lawyer close to you.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Originalsly: 11:56am On Jan 15, 2022
[quote author=iyke484real post=109355056

I like to know if it's right for my landlord to break into my room and throw out my properties

The crux of the matter.... My rent expired on the 12th of January 2022 today is 14th and my landlord is already threatening to throw out my luggages should I fail to pack out before Sunday, 16th of this month because I promised to pay him yesterday but failed.

[/quote]

When did you know your rent expired on Jan 12? ... what did you expect the landlord to do when he wasn't paid his rent? ... how long do you expect the landlord to have you in his place without paying rent? You can wait until tomorrow to find out if the landlord is joking.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 11:57am On Jan 15, 2022
twilliamx:
He has no right to...did he serve you a notice 6months ago? If he breaks in go and report and tell the police that you had gold in the house that you intended to sell to pay off your rent. Only the court's baliff has the right to evict a sitting tenant after a judge has passed judgement. Try and record him while he is threatening you so you will have evidence of Harassment . But most of all try and pay your rent...

Only a tenant whose rent is still subsisting must be served notice that the rent will not be renewed. If you are owing, the landlord just need to give you notice that he want to take possession of his property. In some states, it is 7 days, some 14, some 28. I have not seen (may exist) anywhere the notice period is longer than 28.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 11:58am On Jan 15, 2022
asanausana91:
Yes, if he get court order.

He doesn't need a court order to evict a owing tenant
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 11:59am On Jan 15, 2022
Veggieseedies:
He has no right

If you're a "yearly tenant" paying yearly as it is in the agreement, he would give you half of "yearly" when you want to pack out, and if "six months" (half a year), you would be given half of that before pack out, so manup.

Just manup and don't talk to him until he carries out this threat without any legal backup.

If he is Yoruba landlord and you are an Igbo tenant, kpokpo am well well if he has no legal backup, igbos go rally round you to pursue the case. You go cash out.

Talking from experience

Exactly why some people will not rent to some people!
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by ChiefAtang: 12:00pm On Jan 15, 2022
iyke484real:

Sue him for trespass to property. As a tenant, you have a right of possession in the house, and if any body enters (including your landlord) that's trespass to property.

But base on the scenario, op wey you go get money sue am. Cus Nigerian Landlord go say you nor get money renew rent, but you get money to go court.
So just meet him and iron out things, express your disappointment in his actions and then clarify him on when you'll be able to pay him.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 12:00pm On Jan 15, 2022
justosee:

I don't think he can throw you at just days after the expiration of your rent. He has to give you a quit notice up to three months.

He doesn't!
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by mfm04622: 12:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
ChiefAtang:

Sue him for trespass to property. As a tenant, you have a right of possession in the house, and if any body enters (including your landlord) that's trespass to property.

But base on the scenario, op wey you go get money sue am. Cus Nigerian Landlord go say you nor get money renew rent, but you get money to go court.
So just meet him and iron out things, express your disappointment in his actions and then clarify him on when you'll be able to pay him.

That right is conferred on him by paying his rent! The moment his rent expires, all his right is extinguished.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Much Is A Plot Of Land In Your Area Presently? / Furniture & Interior Decoration Company / Gerrard Building Collapse: Picture Of Ikoyi Building Days Before It Collapsed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.