Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? (657 Views)

Us-based Lady Pleads With The Nigerian Government To Ease Hardship For Citizens / Masari Says Bandits Are Animals, Wants Approval For Citizens To Bear Arms / Osinbajo: Acquiring COVID-19 Vaccine For Citizens Our Priority (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 11:05am On Jan 17, 2022
I’ve been wondering about the upcoming Census in May 2022.
And some questions had been popping up.
Is it necessary for the citizens to travel back to their States Of Origin, so that they can be captured at their States of Origin?
Or should they remain at their States of Residence, so that they can be captured at their States of Residence.??
(since they would still provide information about their States of Origin during the capturing)
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by helinues: 11:06am On Jan 17, 2022
Yes, necessary if possible mandatory

Cos the census would be used by both state and Federal in distributing resources

If Nigeria states are smart, this is best opportunity for them to introduce state ID

2 Likes

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 11:13am On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

Cos the census would be used by both state and Federal in distributing resources

If Nigeria states are smart, this is best opportunity for them to introduce state ID
The real issue is that,, resources are distributed according to the Population of the People that are currently residing in the State at the moment.
Which comprises of both indigens and non-indigens of that State.

1 Like

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by Odin13: 11:16am On Jan 17, 2022
Time to count cows and relocate Buhari cousins and niece from their Niger and chad back to Nigeria .. as citizens.

Maybe in future .. one of them will be President just like Buhari
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by helinues: 11:18am On Jan 17, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
The real issue is that,, resources are distributed according to the Population of the People that are currently residing in the State at the moment.
Which comprises of both indigens and non-indigens of that State.

Just as during election time, it would be better if people can do the census in their home state. The states need to start introducing state ID which would allow the indigenes to have more benefits than non indigenes
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by Mynd44: 11:45am On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

This is wrong and unfair. Why?

Imagine you Helinues are from Zamfara, but live in Niger. You spend 11 months out of 12 in Niger and you enjoy the services of Niger state but send just vacation in Niger. It is unfair of you to go to Zamfara for the census as the resources should go to Niger not Zamfara

2 Likes

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by Mynd44: 11:48am On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

Just as during election time, it would be better if people can do the census in their home state. The states need to start introducing state ID which would allow the indigenes to have more benefits than non indigenes
Also unfair. Because those who stay and pay taxes should enjoy the same benefits

3 Likes

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by helinues: 11:49am On Jan 17, 2022
Mynd44:

This is wrong and unfair. Why?

Imagine you Helinues are from Zamfara, but live in Niger. You spend 11 months out of 12 in Niger and you enjoy the services of Niger state but send just vacation in Niger. It is unfair of you to go to Zamfara for the census as the resources should go to Niger not Zamfara

If people can travel from their state of resident to their home state just to register for election PVC, traveling home for the census shouldn't be a big deal.

Allowing people to register at where they are residing could make the crooks state governors to inflate the figure and there won't be sincerity about state of origin as no documents to back it up.

1 Like

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by kponkedenge(m): 11:50am On Jan 17, 2022
Yes and no.

Reason being that - for those that spend more months in a calendar year in their state of origin, but are frequent travellers to other states, it would be good to do it in your state of origin.

But, if you reside in another state, for example Rivers State and you're from Edo... But you spend almost all your life in Rivers, then it is only logical to do your census in Rivers State.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:02pm On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

This is not fair.
Take for instance..
If I have an Anambra State “State-ID” as an indigen of Anambra State,, but I live in Lagos State as a resident, maybe I also have a Lagos State “State-ID” but as a resident in Lagos State, are you suggesting that it is the Government of Anambra State that would favour me better?
And that, even though all my economic activities all-the-year-round had been in Lagos State, that I should be expecting the Government of Anambra State to be favouring me from back home? Just because my parents are from Anambra, and that I went back home at one of my personal vacations to obtain a “State-ID” as an indegen of Anambra State?
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:02pm On Jan 17, 2022
Odin13:
Time to count cows and relocate Buhari cousins and niece from their Niger and chad back to Nigeria .. as citizens.

Maybe in future .. one of them will be President just like Buhari
Blame that one on the faulty Nigerian system that doesn't have good methods of determining who and who are the true citizens, and those who are not.
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by helinues: 12:09pm On Jan 17, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
This is not fair.
Take for instance..
If I have an Anambra State “State-ID” as an indigen of Anambra State,, but I live in Lagos State as a resident, maybe I also have a Lagos State “State-ID” but as a resident in Lagos State, are you suggesting that it is the Government of Anambra State that would favour me better?
And that, even though all my economic activities all-the-year-round had been in Lagos State, that I should be expecting the Government of Anambra State to be favouring me from back home? Just because my parents are from Anambra, and that I went back home at one of my personal vacations to obtain a “State-ID” as an indegen of Anambra State?

As an Anambra indigene living and working in Lagos with Lagos state Id, your Lagos Id card would be non resident Id card. You do not expect to have same benefits with Lagos Indigenes with that same I'd card.

In USA during Tax refund, you can file for state and federal. The state tax is for only those who worked in that state whether your state of origin or not
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:10pm On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

The reason for travelling back to one's State of Origin, and even back to the person's ward in the village during registration of PVCs is because of the way Nigerian way of practicing politics of division.
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:12pm On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

As an Anambra indigene living and working in Lagos with Lagos state Id, your Lagos Id card would be non resident Id card. You do not expect to have same benefits with Lagos Indigenes with that same I'd card.

In USA during Tax refund, you can file for state and federal. The state tax is for only those who worked in that state whether your state of origin or not

ARE WE NOT SAYING THE SAME THING HERE??

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by helinues: 12:12pm On Jan 17, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
The reason for travelling back to one's State of Origin, and even back to the person's ward in the village during registration of PVCs is because of the way Nigerian way of practicing politics of division.

It's because we don't have database of the citizens. In USA, you can obtain state id, same as DL at any state cos they have database of your details to verify your information
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:15pm On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

It's because we don't have database of the citizens. In USA, you can obtain state id, same as DL at any state cos they have database of your details to verify your information

In recent US Census, did the citizens travel to their Places of Origin for them to be captured from there??
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by helinues: 12:17pm On Jan 17, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
In recent US Census, did the citizens travel to their Places of Origin for them to be captured from there??

Why should they when there records are almost in all database.

Even employers can have access to ones private data
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:23pm On Jan 17, 2022
kponkedenge:
Yes and no.

Reason being that - for those that spend more months in a calendar year in their state of origin, but are frequent travellers to other states, it would be good to do it in your state of origin.

But, if you reside in another state, for example Rivers State and you're from Edo... But you spend almost all your life in Rivers, then it is only logical to do your census in Rivers State.
This is the very logical thing to do.
But the Nigerian Political Methods and the Nigerian Political Environment wouldn't allow the Citizens to think in such a logical manner.
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:27pm On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

Why should they when there records are almost in all database.

Even employers can have access to ones private data
I don't really believe that something that is obtainable in the US cannot be replicated (even with better results) in our Nigeria.
So, why would it reach the turn of Nigeria to do Census, and it happens that the best option is for the Citizens to travel back to their villages to be counted?
I mean, even if we lack the database we need in Nigeria, we can use this very Census to build the database.
Isn't it??

1 Like

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by helinues: 12:28pm On Jan 17, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
I don't really believe that something that is obtainable in the US cannot be replicated (even with better results) in our Nigeria.
So, why would it reach the turn of Nigeria to do Census, and it happens that the best option is for the Citizens to travel back to their villages to be counted?
I mean, even if we lack the database we need in Nigeria, we can use this very Census to build the database.
Isn't it??

It required strong institution and time.
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:32pm On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:

It required strong institution and time.

Just the way I have learnt to start trusting INEC these days (even though they still have a lot of work to do),, I am also trying my best to start learning how to trust the NPC too..
They are far below what they should be.
But if they start putting in their best, and with the help and constant input and monitoring from the citizens, they would definitely come out better.
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:32pm On Jan 17, 2022
I am doing some little researches on the NPC and NIMC.
Even though a staff of NPC confided in me that they planned to work hand-in-hand with the NIMC in this upcoming #Census2022, I have not yet confirmed same from any staff of NIMC.
Nevertheless, I still have some puzzles which I am yet to crack.
1. Since it had been clear to us that the NPC does NOT issue unique registration numbers to each of the persons whose births had been captured and enrolled in their Birth Register (so as to facilitate easy tracking of the information of such registered persons with the unique registration number of the person on the NPC Birth Register), Do you think that issuing such a unique number from the NPC would now be necessary again, since there is the NIN Number already being issued by the NIMC, bearing in mind that NIMC and NPC would soon start working together.?

2. Since the #Census2022 would be captured digitally, and thus we are expecting the Census to give Birth to a strong complete database of all Nigerians (both citizens and residents), Does it now mean that all the other database systems that registered and stored the identity information of Nigerians such as the NIMC, INEC, Immigration Services, Telecoms-NCC, Bank-BVN, and so on, are going to key-in into the robust NPC database, and then synchronise all their information together??
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by helinues: 12:35pm On Jan 17, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:

Just the way I have learnt to start trusting INEC these days (even though they still have a lot of work to do),, I am also trying my best to start learning how to trust the NPC too..
They are far below what they should be.
But if they start putting in their best, and with the help and constant input and monitoring from the citizens, they would definitely come out better.

That's where the media need to play their roles. Monitor the exercise from A to Z.

Kazakhstan used to be one of the best country when it comes to election transparency, but there was huge discrepancies in their last election which made them to annulled it.. All thanks to the media for exposing that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by tk4rd: 2:55pm On Jan 17, 2022
Since the information about the State Of Origin would still be captured from the person from wherever he is, then it is not necessary for him to travel to his State of Origin for the Census.
Re: Census2022: Is It Necessary For Citizens To Travel Back To Their Own States? by tk4rd: 2:55pm On Jan 17, 2022
Lalasticlala,
Seun

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Political Coup Against Buni Failed / A Threat To Peace: Operation Report All Simon Ekpa’s Accounts / Mass Burial Conducted For Victims Of Herdsmen Attack In Benue (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.