Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:02 AM

Easy Healthy Nigerian Meals - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Easy Healthy Nigerian Meals (866 Views)

Can You Cook Your Meals With Shea Butter? (pictures) / Healthy Nigerian Meals For Diabetic Patients / What Meals Do I Need To Avoid To Stop Growing Fat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Easy Healthy Nigerian Meals by Lindaa97(f): 4:42pm On Jan 18, 2022
Hi and welcome here.
This thread will just be where I drop healthy recipes that can be easy to make and budget-friendly.
Will also include food tips as well, cause we are what we eat and healthy eating doesn't have to break the bank.

#recipes #9jameals #youngadult #cheap and healthy......

1. A nutritious food place should ideally contain 50% vegetables, 25% whole grain and 25% protein. So I will try to share the meals that put this into consideration or add a little tweak to them.
A commonly eaten food in Nigerian homes is rice, that's like the standard and go-to meal. Rice, stew and chicken with a full bowl of rice, nutritionally speaking, that meal is not balanced at all because the supposed grain which is supposed to make up 25% of the meal is now taking over 80% and the nutritional content of the rice is low. A healthier way of this is shown in the image below and that's a google image, i did not prepare that.
The home-cooked version will be shared later.

Re: Easy Healthy Nigerian Meals by Lindaa97(f): 2:58pm On Jan 27, 2022
RICE[center][/center][size=12pt][/size]

Rice is such an important food in some countries that "to eat" means "to eat rice." Nearly half of the people in the world get approximately 50% of their calories from rice. Without rice or something to take the place of rice, many people would go hungry.
Its also the country's staple meal for celebrations and festivities from weddings, naming ceremonies, burial parties, etc.
Brown and white rice are the same grain, just milled differently. Kernels of brown rice have the bran layer intact. In white rice, it has been polished away. The presence of the bran layer makes brown rice more nutritious than white, although some white rice is fortified. The bran layer also makes brown rice take longer to cook. For maximum nutrition, choose brown rice, but not everyone has the luxury to afford brown rice as it is more expensive compared to white rice.

So how to eat your white rice to get enough benefits from
Eating rice should be supported with good protein and vegetables, so I will write a cheap counterpart of eating the white rice healthy.
1. Quantity of rice, let's remember the 25.25.50 rule which is for carb, protein, and veggies.'
This meal will be at a discount, our rice will serve as our carb source, the fish stew will be our protein source unlike popular opinion that beans are a high source of protein which is a hoax. Do your research but you can decide to boil rice and beans, as beans are an alternative source of plant-based protein.
And Nigerian green vegetable which is known as "efo" will serve as the vegetable portion.

Ingredients
rice
beans
fish
vegetable
olive oil
salt and seasoning
tomato and pepper
Link to prepare the rice, beans, and stew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HhPZiBTAqI
This video is super easy to follow for cooking beginners

Making the steamed vegetables:
start by preparing the vegetables by washing thoroughly to remove debris and dirt, set a clean pot of fire and add 2 tbsp of olive oil, depending on the quantity of the vegetable, and immediately pour in your vegetable to the pot containing the oil as we do not want the oil to heat and stir, this should take less than 2 minutes as we want the vegetable to still be fresh, after stirring, et the vegetable shrinks a bit and turn off the heat.

Our boiled portion of rice and beans, with fish stew and steamed vegetables, is ready to be served.
Quantity is important so 25-25-50, in a medium-sized plate wink

Next will be to share my food weekly timetable as designed using this course I took on coursera and apply the principles to nigerian meals.
Re: Easy Healthy Nigerian Meals by Lindaa97(f): 1:18pm On Jan 31, 2022
So I try to cook every Sunday as that helps me save more and the stress of thinking about what to eat each data of the week is removed from my head.
Here is what I will be needing this week, salary has been paid so lemme splurge a bit.
I will be cooking 3 meals, which include jollof rice with vegetables and fish for protein, plantain porridge, potatoes and vegetables. This won't be the only thing I eat all week, so I incorporate fruit bowls, healthy sharwama, and oatmeal.

Shopping list:
Oat, almond milk, banana, berries, honey, unripe plantain, dry fish, crayfish, scent leaves, sharwama bread, avocado, carrot, chicken, green beans, green pepper, cucumber, cabbage, grape, Irish potato, apple, fresh fish, tomatoes, pepper, onion.

Oat: This will be mostly for breakfast, so what I do is heat up the oat a lil bit in hot water, scoop it into a meal plate, add milk. banana, honey, and a few berries. I make enough for 3 portions then I place them into the fridge.

Jollof rice is prepared with fresh fish and added some sliced vegetables to it, not too much to help preserve it.

Potatoe: I make a porridge of boiled Irish potatoes with green leave, dry fish, and palm oil. It is always a small portion say 2 plates.

Sharwama wrap: This is quite easy to make, I spice my diced chicken breast and heat up then I add a little tomato sauce. Lay the cabbage on the sharwama wrap, add my avocado, chicken, grated carrot, and a tiny dash of mayonnaise, and a healthy wrap is ready for breakfast mostly.
plantain porridge: It's rich in iron meal. https://sisijemimah.com/2015/11/16/unripe-plantain-pottage/ is the recipe I use, asides I don't use turkey and dry fish instead of smoked fish. Remember we are on a budget yh
Fruit bowl: I basically just chop up my fruits inside the plate which is the cucumber, apple, berries, and banana if any left after the oatmeal prep, etc It's filling.

For snacks: I bought a derica of tiger nut and coconut. So I take some to work to munch on.

Monday: OAT RICE POTATOE N VEGGIES

Tuesday: SHARWAMA BREAD PLANTAIN PORRIDGE FRUIT BOWL

Wednesday: OAT RICE SHARWAMA WRAP

Thursday: FRUIT BOWL PLANTAIN PORRIDGE RICE

Friday: SHARWAMA BREAD FRUIT BOWL POTATOE N VEGGIES

That's it for this week, will take pictures while preparing for next week. And really digging into my yoga stretches, I feel light and stretched.

I will be making smoothies too tongue

(1) (Reply)

Have U Seen This,, Corn With Many Colors (pics) / Are You Looking For A Very Good Caterer Or Baker In London? / Maris Catering Services

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.