Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,027 members, 7,807,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? (7561 Views)

My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank / Skill Vs Certificate / SKILL VS CERTIFICATE; Which One Will Give You An Edge? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 20, 2022
Good afternoon our Nairaland sages.

I will make this as brief as possible, but will try as much as I can to express myself in all seriousness.

I am a young guy (20 years of age) who passed out from secondary school not quite long ago. I have been very, very passionate about having a great career that would translate to a stable future. I have a lifelong dream of becoming a lawyer cum getting an LLB. I think I will do greatly in the field, because it has been confirmed to me that I have great logical and speaking skills. Academically, I know I am doing greatly.

Now this is where the problem lies:

Given that a lot of graduates, lawyers included, are roaming the streets of Nigeria seeking for job, and never having to get one, or would resort to working for a meagre pay, I do not know how well I would thrive as a lawyer. I dread ending up a failure in life, and I am very doubtful if I would have anything that these smart and bubbling graduates do not have to put me above them. I am ready to walk on thorns to leave Law school with a first class, if it would give me an edge, but then again, what about my predecessors? How well are they doing financially despite their first class?

On the other, I have a natural gift of being able to do just about anything that can be done with hands: Fixing things (generators, electronic appliances even without a formal training), drawing like a pro, cooking grin, playing musical instruments, singing, mason, woodwork and shoe repairing. Just mention it. I haven't been trained to do these, but I do them anyway. Fictional writing too (poems and stories).

This is where I direly need your advice and suggestions:
1. Do you suggest I go on to study Law?
2. Do you suggest I learn a skill instead?
3. Should this skill be handwork or soft skill?
4. What profitable skill do you advise that I learn?
There are father-like and mother-like personalities on here, so I believe I will get the best advice. God bless you even as you drop your candid advice.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:35pm On Jan 20, 2022
If you are 100 percent sure you can hit first class in law both at undergraduate and in Law school. First class o not 2 1, go for law.

If you can't learn a skill. To be successful in law you need to be above average. If you can't be above average find other professions where average people can thrive.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Gerrard59(m): 3:58pm On Jan 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
If you are 100 percent sure you can hit first class in law both at undergraduate and in Law school. First class o not 2 1, go for law.

If you can't learn a skill. To be successful in law you need to be above average. If you can't be above average find other professions where average people can thrive.

To add, ensure it's a federal university and if private, a reputable one that can offer good post-university opportunities like Afe Babalola. If state, it should be a state that has good networking opportunities - Rivers state University. Again, ensure you graduate with a good grade. Your WASSCE results should tell you of your potential performance.

If you desire to make a good living (Nigeria's Magic/Silver Circle law firms) from a profession that is in one of the most lawless places on the planet, those are factors you need to consider.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Esyy(f): 7:41pm On Jan 20, 2022
OP, you seem to already know what you want but afraid of what the future holds.

Here's my honest opinion about your education and career likewise; carry on with your "law school dream", study well and make good grades. However, learn a skill.

Since you said you're good in fiction writing, why not consider improving on that? Start now and begin to harness that skill, there's so much you can do with it. Also add storytelling to your fiction writing, you'll be amazed at how indispensable you'd become even before you leave Uni

All the best!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Thank you very much for this.

You're supposing that a first class will make me more competitive in the labor market, and that that could be the only guarantee that I'd be successful in the legal field? Is this your insinuation sir?
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Nobody: 8:14am On Jan 21, 2022
Gerrard59:

To add, ensure it's a federal university and if private, a reputable one that can offer good post-university opportunities like Afe Babalola. If state, it should be a state that has good networking opportunities - Rivers state University. Again, ensure you graduate with a good grade. Your WASSCE results should tell you of your potential performance.

If you desire to make a good living (Nigeria's Magic/Silver Circle law firms) from a profession that is in one of the most lawless places on the planet, those are factors you need to consider.

Thank you very much sir.

I'll look into that.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 21, 2022
Esyy:
OP, you seem to already know what you want but afraid of what the future holds.

Here's my honest opinion about your education and career likewise; carry on with your "law school dream", study well and make good grades. However, learn a skill.

Since you said you're good in fiction writing, why not consider improving on that? Start now and begin to harness that skill, there's so much you can do with it. Also add storytelling to your fiction writing, you'll be amazed at how indispensable you'd become even before you leave Uni

All the best!
Of course,I know what I want. But will what I want turn out to be a regret tomorrow? I wouldn't think seeking advice is out of place ma.

About studying and developing my skills, I think this is a very foresighted idea. Thanks a lot.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:08am On Jan 21, 2022
MoneyMusthear:

Thank you very much for this.

You're supposing that a first class will make me more competitive in the labor market, and that that could be the only guarantee that I'd be successful in the legal field? Is this your insinuation sir?
For law yes.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by slawormiir: 1:18pm On Jan 21, 2022
Damnnn niggarrrr
The first mentality you should have about being successful is working smart

And also stop thinking because there are lot of graduates without job so your own case will be like that

Hell no...stop that thought...all fingers are not equal

That mantra is one hell of a powerful mantra

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by JosephXavier: 1:18pm On Jan 21, 2022
These skills you mentioned are money spinners
MoneyMusthear:
Good afternoon our Nairaland sages.

I will make this as brief as possible, but will try as much as I can to express myself in all seriousness.

Fixing things (generators, electronic appliances even without a formal training), drawing like a pro, cooking grin, playing musical instruments, singing, mason, woodwork and shoe repairing. Just mention it. I haven't been trained to do these, but I do them anyway. Fictional writing

I would tell you to develop one and earn from it while going to school to obtain your degree
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by mirr: 1:18pm On Jan 21, 2022
Learning a skill is tougher than reading law books. You better go and read your law jeje.

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:20pm On Jan 21, 2022
On the other, I have a natural gift of being able to do just about anything that can be done with hands: Fixing things (generators, electronic appliances even without a formal training), drawing like a pro, cooking , playing musical instruments, singing, mason, woodwork and shoe repairing. Just mention it. I haven't been trained to do these, but I do them anyway. Fictional writing too (poems and stories).

We don't think anything stops you from pursuing the two,

BUT,

BE YOUR OWN BOSS!

Entrepreneurship is bae!!

Nairalanders entrepreneurs,
God bless our hustle.
God no go shame us Lai Lai.
It will end in praise.

@OP, we wish you all the very best for the future.
It will end in praise.

We Rise.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Cholls(m): 1:20pm On Jan 21, 2022
My brother skill
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by FERNANDEZISBACK: 1:21pm On Jan 21, 2022
You better learn a skill..if you could perfect your handwork and brand yourself I tell you gonna be a hotcake..
Learn a skill make your money then pursue education.. cheesy wink
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by obyrich(m): 1:22pm On Jan 21, 2022
You can do both.

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Douwine: 1:25pm On Jan 21, 2022
Bro learn software engineering
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Yourstruly491(m): 1:26pm On Jan 21, 2022
I'm a lawyer and in light of that, I'd respond appropriately to your question. Your level of intelligence has a long way to go in the course of refinement if you want to study law, however, your secondary school knowledge will not salvage you, as it is a different ball game entirely. Besides, studying law does not entail sitting in the classroom alone, as it involves analysing critical issues and preferring solutions, so it's a better bet that you can't lose out, if you wish to study law, and your dream is rigorously pursued.
On the question skill, it is very possible to study law and pursue a skill at the same time, if you can first of all understand timing, self management and apply discretion in study and play time. I participated in politics as well as studying law, so the ball is in your court

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by tiswell(m): 1:27pm On Jan 21, 2022
Get your LLB bro,learn a skill while at it

Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by SmartyPants(m): 1:27pm On Jan 21, 2022
What you should do is learn a skill that is closely allied with the study of law. This will help ensure that you dont dissipate energy by pursuing learning objectives that are too remote from each other, and thus do not build upon themselves.

Since you say you write well, learn how to become a professional content writer. You will do a lot of writing in Law, so content writing is not too remote and will not distract you.

I pursued this exact same path and it has worked fabulously well for me.

8 Likes

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by YoungLionken(m): 1:28pm On Jan 21, 2022
Learn a skill first, after that, you can study whatever you wished to study...

1 Like

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by safarigirl(f): 1:30pm On Jan 21, 2022
Get a skill

I have an LLB and a BL

My skill is what is feeding me.

Get a skill

LLB is almost useless in Nigeria, especially if you don't have a John the Baptist that prepared the way for you

8 Likes

Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by ImoleNaija: 1:30pm On Jan 21, 2022
May God lead you aright.

Just ensure make hay while the sun shines.
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by BlaqFaze: 1:30pm On Jan 21, 2022
D
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by iCauseTrouble: 1:31pm On Jan 21, 2022
angry
Re: Career Dilemma: Getting A Skill Vs LLB? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 21, 2022
cool.. this is good

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Salary Level For ABO And BO Levels In UBN / Army, Navy,airforce,nia,npf,sss,customs,ndlea Which Has A Better Career Growth? / Fresh Job Opportunities in PORT HARCOURT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.