Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. (6496 Views)

Presidency Probes Death Of Tortured Inmate Over Patience Jonathan’s $3m / You Are Better Off In Benin Republic, Buhari Tells Nigerians Living There / Nigeria Gets Counter-terrorism Special Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by nwaigbomg(m): 8:10pm On Jun 20, 2011
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/abujareports/2011/june/20/abujareports-20-06-2011-001.html

INCREDIBLE!
•Prison dog better off than inmate in Nigeria, gets N3,000 daily allowance, inmate N800
From UBONG UKPONG, Abuja
Monday, June 20, 2011

Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

Most Nigerians are familiar with the fact that the Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) has resuscitated its hitherto abandoned dog patrol team to enhance effective control and stability of inmates. The measure is aimed at tackling the growing incident of jailbreak in prisons nationwide. Perhaps, the most interesting aspect of the dog patrol story is that the dogs in the kennel of the (NPS) may be more esteemed than the prisoners they watch over, and to some extent, the jailors themselves.

That is the only way to explain the controversy over the feeding allowance given to the dog, vis-à-vis that of a prisoner. There are stories that NPS officials have placed each of the patrol dogs on an allowance of N3, 000 per day. Although the authorities have said only N800 is spent on the head of each dog per day, the amount still makes the dogs better off than a prisoner who subsists on N200 feeding provision per day.

The Controller-General of Prisons (CGP), Olusola Ogundipe, however, said that the wide disparity in the budget for the dogs and inmates was premised on the fact that that of the inmates was basically for feeding, while that of the dogs was for both feeding and medication. At the passing-out parade of the newly graduated dogs and their handlers at the Kuje Medium Prisons, Abuja, the CGP expressed joy at the breed of dogs the Service was graduating, expressing hope also that this was good for the dog patrol team of the Service and would go a long way to fulfill the Service’s desire to ensure efficiency in the control and stability of inmates.

Daily Sun watched those dreadful and tough exotic dogs alongside their handlers perform excellently at the passing-out parade that was graced by the Deputy Controller General (DCG) in charge of Operations, Essien Nkang, who represented the CGP.
Dogs within the unit according to Nkang included rottweilers, german shepherds and boer bulls: “These breeds possess the size, intelligence, athleticism and temperament to work effectively in the jail environment, while also being physically hardy enough to endure our tropical environment after acclimatization for a period of one and a half years.”

The dog handlers, who were beautifully and well kitted in a dark green combatant khaki, similar to that worn by men of the Service’s arms squad, show-cased real intelligence and skills in the kind of sound commands dished out to their dogs, which also obeyed and reacted promptly in line with the commands.
The DCG said that the handlers were carefully selected and exclusively assigned to the dog unit training and patrol duties until completion of their dog handling training certification as was witnessed by all during the parade.

“They were trained in kennel management, intensive socialization programme, agility, equipment training, security patrol, detection and tracking.” Displays by security dogs elsewhere had been witnessed but this particular one looked very different and unique. You needed to see how the dogs that were called by their names, ranks and Service numbers, were regimented as they marched side-by-side in unique steps with their handlers according to the rhythm of the band crew.

They also showed skill and excellence in all their performances, which led to the CGP showering diverse kinds of awards on them and their handlers. The handlers were reminded of the need to continue to bond with their dogs properly by continuing to be patient with them, make their commands and hand signals to their dogs unique, be consistent and know their dogs, vise versa.

While it is expected that prison dogs would mount surveillance in prison yards, Nkong is hopeful that in the nearest future, puppies from these highly sensitive dogs would be sent into the market to assist those who are interested in using dogs to complement the security around them.

Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by MRBrownJ: 8:32pm On Jun 20, 2011
well these dogs are EMPLOYED and WORKING while criminals aint. do they expect the dogs and their owners to do it for free?
also, who would want underfed dogs to guards these criminals?!
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by MaiSuya(m): 9:10pm On Jun 20, 2011
tee hee! grin
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by alexola20(m): 9:22pm On Jun 20, 2011
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by jmaine: 9:24pm On Jun 20, 2011
Person dey chop contractor money . . cheesy cheesy
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Afritelly: 10:06am On Jun 21, 2011
Hmmm, good. But those dogs look like they are hungry. Even those warders look tinying than the dogs.
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by 190: 10:09am On Jun 21, 2011
The dogs seem to drag the owner's along!

talk of hunger
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 21, 2011
alexola20:

Nigeria shouldn't have any prison.Nigeria herself is a prison to many people including the foolish politicians.

U are sick grin grin grin grin
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by MrCork17: 10:25am On Jun 21, 2011
dont they eat dogs in Nigeria? undecided
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 21, 2011
Don't we have ex-convicts on NL that can confirm this for us ?
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by omodapson(m): 10:38am On Jun 21, 2011
Prison inmates get #800 as feeding allowance daily, There are millions out there who barely make #300 daily for their upkeep.
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 21, 2011
Mr, Cork:

dont they eat dogs in Nigeria? undecided

Yeah, some parts of Nigeria regard dog meat as a delicacy, comes under different names:

1) 404.
2) Gearbox.
3) headlight.

grin grin grin
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Reference(m): 10:43am On Jun 21, 2011
Hmmm, I thought you feed the prisoners to the dogs . We must cut costs at all costs. angry angry
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by mallorca(m): 10:47am On Jun 21, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Don't we have ex-convicts on NL that can confirm this for us ?
grin grin grin grin
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by OmoTier1(m): 10:51am On Jun 21, 2011
were these the 500dogs bought for JONNY boy's oath party?

I thought Godswill Akpabio took them on excursion to Akaw-Ibom for a cruise?
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Ibime(m): 11:13am On Jun 21, 2011
Mehn, these dogs are earning N90,000 per month whilst Governors are complaining about N18,000 minimum wage. grin grin grin

Where my dawgs at!
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 21, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

were these the 500dogs bought for JONNY boy's oath party?

I thought Godswill Akpabio took them on excursion to Akaw-Ibom for a cruise?

No be only Akwa-ibom,Na Obudu Ranch.when you no say calabar man no dey take eye see dog ?
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 21, 2011
Ibime:

Mehn, these dogs are earning N90,000 per month whilst Governors are complaining about N18,000 minimum wage. grin grin grin

Where my dawgs at!
mehn nor be lie u talk oh, imagine dogs now hav more value to human being in 9ja
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Basics007: 12:33pm On Jun 21, 2011
I hope hunger will not finish the poor thing. Every new thing in Naija is always beautiful,check back in 6months-1yr time and you will be flabberwhelmed and overgasted. I hope this will not be the dogs fate
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Gbenge77(m): 12:57pm On Jun 21, 2011
The pics provides some sort of comic relief.
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by ideylaff: 2:14pm On Jun 21, 2011
from this picture looks like the warders are marching with the dogs,

what is that all about, do they have to march, LOL,
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by sweetmadam(f): 2:23pm On Jun 21, 2011
These Dogs are earning their keep so let's not hate on them. How would you like it if someone tied a leash round your neck and pulled you around the place for 8 or more hours a day?
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by GNBohr: 2:41pm On Jun 21, 2011
I pity the lives of those dogs cos they will soon disappear through neglect and debilitation. I want to see how a prison officer whose minimum wage is 18k per month which is 600 Naira per day will happily attend to the care of a mere dog, whatever might be his usefulness, that devours between 800 to 3000 naira per day.

I am yet to see an hungry human being feed another being while his hunger is still very much there. Am sure those dogs' daily allowance will end up augmenting the survival of prison officials and foolishly one day, one EFCC will come and say prison officials stole billions of dog's allowance.

Corruption never start for this country.
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by MMM2(m): 2:55pm On Jun 21, 2011
dose dogs re healthy while dose guyz re looking hungry.
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by frenchman2: 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2011
dem neva even stat work, dogs don dey look malnourished. from the pics, they're not even pure-bred dogs.
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by agitator: 3:55pm On Jun 21, 2011
omodapson:

Prison inmates get #800 as feeding allowance daily, There are millions out there who barely make #300 daily for their upkeep.

leave wetin dem write for motor body enter motor. no prison for 9ja dey feed prisoners more than #100/day
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Ajengogo(m): 4:10pm On Jun 21, 2011
I am wondering what could be going on in the mind of the Deputy Controller General (DCG) in charge of Operations, Essien Nkang while the dogs were doing the match past,  If you guys know what I mean,
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by agitator: 4:44pm On Jun 21, 2011
Ajengogo:

I am wondering what could be going on in the mind of the Deputy Controller General (DCG) in charge of Operations, Essien Nkang while the dogs were doing the match past,  If you guys know what I mean,

hehehehehehe bad arhse guy grin
give him a keg of tombo to dilute it. wink
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Hardeyorlah(f): 5:21pm On Jun 21, 2011
I pity the lives of those dogs cos they will soon disappear through neglect and debilitation. I want to see how a prison officer whose minimum wage is 18k per month which is 600 Naira per day will happily attend to the care of a mere dog, whatever might be his usefulness, that devours between 800 to 3000 naira per day.

I am yet to see an hungry human being feed another being while his hunger is still very much there. Am sure those dogs' daily allowance will end up augmenting the survival of prison officials and foolishly one day, one EFCC will come and say prison officials stole billions of dog's allowance.

Corruption never start for this country so funny
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Vickivicki(m): 6:10pm On Jun 21, 2011
This is hilarious.

LOL! cool
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 21, 2011
those dogs are Nigerian Alsatian-Mongrels,very skinny, i am sure those warders are diverting the dogs allowances to their pocket, grin
Re: Prison Dog Better Off Than Inmate In Nigeria, Gets N3,000 Daily Allowance. by omoajiri(m): 8:44pm On Jun 21, 2011
i bet dem don train d dogs hw to collect 'roger'.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ben Bruce - Spending $8bn On Fuel Importation Is Crazy / Prof. Yakubu - INEC Is The Most Improved Public Service In Nigeria / Katsina To Pay Sacked LG Chairmen Outstanding Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.