Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? (22390 Views)

Studying Law Becoming Useless In Nigeria?? / Can You Sell Your B.sc Certificate For #100 Million? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by sukar886: 11:52am On Jan 27, 2022
School na scam, if I knew what I know now then, I would have used that time I wasted in the university to learn trade , I for be billionaire now ... Rubbish
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Adasun(m): 11:53am On Jan 27, 2022
Good day guys,I am a physics student,300l.this semester,we are to choose our area of concentration...I am confused on the best choice... please, which do u suggest in Nigeria here that would put food in my table abeg..

Geophysics

Atmospheric

Semi conductor

Biophysics.

1 Like

Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Rickmann: 11:54am On Jan 27, 2022
tutudesz:

OND graduate has 6 months working experience, because of their IT and adding the HND IT experience translate to 1 and half years work experience when leaving school.

Mmm..i totally agree with you but this isn't the answer..besides, What has working experience got to do with the civil service commission even when you have 5years working experience as a BSc holder?

They hide under the cover of "we can't pay the BSc holders"... Why not pay them same thing you pay the OND guys, millions are ready to grab the offer.

Nigeria is just a confused state, let's admit it.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Rickmann: 12:00pm On Jan 27, 2022
franchasng:
In most field or sector, OND holders can do the same job a Bsc holder will do, and sometimes even better, and they are not as greedy and entitled as most Nigerian Bsc holders who believe that their Bsc certificate have qualified them to become the next Aliko Dangote lolz

In Technical or engineering related job roles, OND holders perform better than most Bsc holders.

OND holders are usually younger and smarter.

OND holders are not greedy in terms of salary expectation.

OND holders are more humble too.

Most Bsc holders are criminal minded, they can steal for Africa because they have high expectation and want to cash out fast like Bobo Chicago grin

And OND holders are Saints?
Oga pls relax and stop being bias.

Be open and objective in ur reasoning.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by michresakidjo(m): 12:00pm On Jan 27, 2022
I know of a school here in nigeria, the least degree you can have to work there is B.Sc. with handsome monthly salary. An M.sc receives nothing less than 200k
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by michresakidjo(m): 12:05pm On Jan 27, 2022
Adasun:
Good day guys,I am a physics student,300l.this semester,we are to choose our area of concentration...I am confused on the best choice... please, which do u suggest in Nigeria here that would put food in my table abeg..

Geophysics

Atmospheric

[b]Semi conductor[\b]

Biophysics.

Bro Semi-condoctor. Is a critical cutting edge technology in 21st century. Taiwan is a known leader in this race.

1 Like

Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Indispensable85(m): 12:06pm On Jan 27, 2022
israelolugbemi:

It’s very different sir.

I can’t pay you and I will not pay you are very different.

What you said is that companies can’t pay BSC holders.
The truth is they can but they prefer rather not to.

“They can’t pay BSC holders” means they don’t have the finical capability of doing so.

You're only confusing yourself with semantics. They can't pay is the right expression. They have their financial details well documented. They know what extent they'll go in terms of workers renumeration and their profit will be greatly affected. Most companies are now trying to cut cost in order to stay afloat to survive the economic downturns. Why many are sacking,others are cutting down salaries. They can't pay right now. They have the will but they don't have the capacity, otherwise turnover will be adversely affected.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Adasun(m): 12:25pm On Jan 27, 2022
michresakidjo:

Bro Semi-condoctor. Is a critical cutting edge technology in 21st century. Taiwan is a known leader in this race.
thanks bro...I appreciate.

Looking forward to more options and opinions
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by B2Bmen: 12:44pm On Jan 27, 2022
jamess32:

I don't agree with your point, its like 50/50 because practical oriented companies prefer HND holders, I know of a top rated company that preferred hiring HND to bsc not because they don't have the money but from past experience bsc holder did not meet the company target expectation
it's not true Bros

1 Like

Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Lamasta(m): 12:55pm On Jan 27, 2022
clockwisereport:

I don tire to dey debunk that rubbish. Just allow them to dey deceive themselves
Someone will just wake up from one side of the bed and begin to type without accurate information.....

1 Like

Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Father4all: 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2022
Because anything Bsc can do, OND can do also
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by heniford2: 1:07pm On Jan 27, 2022
Hassanmaye:

Will you shut up
oyia get a job naw!!!! grin cheesy
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by benson81(m): 1:46pm On Jan 27, 2022
Rickmann:
Isn't it worrisome that the OND holders stand a better chance of securing jobs now in Nigeria. Banks, companies and even the civil service now prefer OND certifications to the Bachelor's degree.

Question now is, aren't university undergraduates wasting their time?
majority are just wasting time.better be learning multiple skills while at the b,SC venture.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by twosquare(m): 1:57pm On Jan 27, 2022
Adasun:

Geophysics

Atmospheric

Semi conductor

Biophysics.

You can decide on which one by researching online. Which one has the most job posts. Not dem say dem say this one dey see job quickly...Na sakamanje. Use Google and Internet, and it will be advisable to consider the developed countries into your choice. Thanks.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by alphaNomega: 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2022
Rickmann:

That's the delusion the society has planted in our heads.
There shouldnt be any such thing as "they can't pay bcs holders". [b]Why don't you pay them whatsoever you pay the OND holders.. [/b]Millions of Bsc graduates are ready to accept.

Nigeria is just a blind and shit hole country.

Are you advocating they pay a B.Sc holder 20k salary? This your post wreaks of desperation.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by alphaNomega: 2:32pm On Jan 27, 2022
edochie12:
The simple answer is that polytechnic are doing more of practicals than theory, that's why banks prefer them to those that attend University,but University are doing mainly on theory.
This is completely off the mark ... It boils down to pay. They can pay OND holders a lot lesser than a B.Sc
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Samextreme: 2:54pm On Jan 27, 2022
BKayy:
And I thought I was the only person that heard this.
Information reaching us is that companies now boldly declare that what they want is OND and HND.

What is happening?
What went wrong?

No offense to HND and OND holders though

Holders of BSc is supposed to be placed on Level 8 which is a senior post and as such attract higher remuneration , unlike the OND which is level 6 and a junior post which attract lower remuneration. So employer will prefer to hire OND in order to pay less
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by BigDawsNet: 3:00pm On Jan 27, 2022
AntiWailer:

Yes if graduating over 10 years ago is fresh then I am a fresh graduate.

I am not disputing that, I am saying I can’t employ any one with such mentality.

Which is what orgs watch out for during interviews.

Before I graduated I even ruled out working for one man business not to talk of going to look for my Waec certificate to look for job.

It's not about mentality bro... It's frustration that usually makes people take that silly decisions...

I know one day Nigeria will be great...

And Truly you are olden graduate grin

1 Like

Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Deepthoughts: 3:26pm On Jan 27, 2022
Rickmann:
Isn't it worrisome that the OND holders stand a better chance of securing jobs now in Nigeria. Banks, companies and even the civil service now prefer OND certifications to the Bachelor's degree.

Question now is, aren't university undergraduates wasting their time?
This is why we need a single standard for certificates instead of all these duplications n discrepancies n discriminations.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Ochelyko1: 3:42pm On Jan 27, 2022
Sorry no offense, the reasons might not be because of the pay, but because of the exposure to the practical necessity's the OND or the HND holder posses. I think is a balance equation some jobs are not meant for OND or HND and also they are some jobs that are not meant for B.sc holder. Nigeria is a fail system already. In shell the white men that employed people don't care about ur certificate what they care about is if u can deliver practically. Once u can deliver the job is yours. And from a reliable source alot of B.sc holders can't deliver whereby making the HND holder to be at the top.

Even those that entered through bribe and favourisms can't still deliver what they where ask to do. We need to change our University curriculum. Let there be much practical if possible let it be 60-40 practical 60% while theory 40% with that it will be great.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Christmasdon(m): 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2022
SO THE TABLE HAVE TURNED. BEFORE B.SC HOLDERS WERE MORE WANTED THAN HND HOLDERS. EVERYTHING WHICH HAS ADVANTAGE ALSO HAVE DISADVANTAGE.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 8:49pm On Jan 27, 2022
CelestineNelson:
You guys should keep deceiving yourself...
I'm still surprised with the OP submission.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Rickmann: 8:50pm On Jan 27, 2022
alphaNomega:

Are you advocating they pay a B.Sc holder 20k salary? This your post wreaks of desperation.

I'm far from desperate ok..
I'm just tryna speak for people in my little way cos it's all around us.

Take for example : how do you explain banks paying tellers who are OND holders 70k and the marketers how are the BSc holders 30-40k

And they will still tell you dey can't pay Bsc holders as much. If you employ Bsc holders as tellers and pay them that 80k and also give them a career path, will the heavens fall?

I just don't understand Nigeria honestly.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Rickmann: 8:52pm On Jan 27, 2022
Deepthoughts:
This is why we need a single standard for certificates instead of all these duplications n discrepancies n discriminations.

Exactly..
The system claims to have equated both qualifications yet the segregation and discrimination never stops.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Deepthoughts: 10:35pm On Jan 27, 2022
Rickmann:

Exactly..
The system claims to have equated both degrees yet the segregation and discrimination never stops.
It's completely the fault of the government who are just paying lip service to real educational reforms n dancing to the selfish sentiments of some powerful stake holders e.g ASUU,with the appropriate know how n will power most of these stuffs can be easily address but where the head is rotten n empty what would you expect from the body.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Adasun(m): 12:43pm On Jan 28, 2022
twosquare:
You can decide on which one by researching online. Which one has the most job posts. Not dem say dem say this one dey see job quickly...Na sakamanje. Use Google and Internet, and it will be advisable to consider the developed countries into your choice. Thanks.
thanks boss,e get why I dey ask am here...

Most of the information on the net concerns oyibo land na why I ask am here.

I can even choose two electives or more self but two is enough.

Watin for more input please
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by twosquare(m): 1:31pm On Jan 28, 2022
That's okay, but at the bold, that's why I said you should factor them into your research and choice. Why? Because there is a high probability that your skill will be needed overseas, and not in Nigeria. Have it in your plan to practice abroad where you may be appreciated. Those courses, at the present, are not often relevant to the Nigerian economy because of our inability to expand our mining industries and other areas they are needed. But the market is readily available for them in developed foreign countries.
Adasun:
thanks boss,e get why I dey ask am here...

Most of the information on the net concerns oyibo land na why I ask am here.

I can even choose two electives or more self but two is enough.

Watin for more input please
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by The5DME(m): 9:33pm On Jan 28, 2022
Adasun:

Geophysics

Atmospheric

Semi conductor

Biophysics.

Geophysics.
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by mikeybrainy: 7:28pm On Jan 30, 2022
SerikiFulani:
A Bsc degree in Nigeria is not enough to get you on your feet....I have a Msc but I don't rely on my certificate.

My friend who's a Senior lecturer and a PhD holder earns 500k monthly, while I as a Msc holder and a Web developer/Copywriter earn nothing less than 3 million naira monthly
boss please show me the way,I just need someone to put me through and money to get a laptop
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Hassanmaye(m): 8:31am On Feb 20, 2022
gift0123:
So like this OND and HND holders don dey give themselves hope grin grin grin those ones that went to poly grin grin grin because university rejected they poor scores grin grin grin no matter what BSC is still the best degree, attend a university if you can. However, they only employ HND and OND holders because they will accept peanut. BSC holders earn more respect and always get the upper hand in every firm, more than HND and OND. You people should not deceive this ones looking for admission please........
This is wickedness
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Hassanmaye(m): 8:44am On Feb 20, 2022
franchasng:
In most field or sector, OND holders can do the same job a Bsc holder will do, and sometimes even better, and they are not as greedy and entitled as most Nigerian Bsc holders who believe that their Bsc certificate have qualified them to become the next Aliko Dangote lolz

In Technical or engineering related job roles, OND holders perform better than most Bsc holders.

OND holders are usually younger and smarter.

OND holders are not greedy in terms of salary expectation.

OND holders are more humble too.

Most Bsc holders are criminal minded, they can steal for Africa because they have high expectation and want to cash out fast like Bobo Chicago grin
Look at how you paint bsc you are Bad boy
Re: How did the B.sc Become So Useless In Nigeria? by Hassanmaye(m): 8:46am On Feb 20, 2022
SenecaTheYonger:
Why won’t it be useless? When someone will have a BSc second class upper but can’t even spell their names
Hahahahhahah please this must be a joke

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba 2012/2013 New And Pre Degree / University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism / NUC Approves University Of Africa For Bayelsa As 43rd State University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.