Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying (18607 Views)

Messi Criticized By The French Media / Cristiano Ronaldo Criticized For Posting Private Jet Selfie After Emiliano Sala / NFF: How FIFA President, Infantino Reacted To Pinnick’s Re-election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by naptu2: 5:10pm On Jan 28, 2022
FIFA President Gianni Infantino comes under fire for Migrant comments

NIYI IYANDA
January 26, 2022

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has come under fire for comments he made concerning the migrant crisis in Europe

Gianni Infantino has faced harsh criticism following comments he made while advocating for a Biennial World Cup.

Infantino said football is dominated by the few who "have everything" and it needs to be more global and inclusive.

"We need to find ways to include the entire world, to give hope to Africans so that they don't need to cross the Mediterranean to find, maybe, a better life but more probably death in the sea," Infantino told the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe in France.

Infantino made this statement as more than 300 were rescued this week from several boats trying to reach the Canary Islands from North Africa.

"We need to give dignity, not by giving charity but by allowing the rest of the world as well to participate," Infantino told lawmakers at a session he attended with Arsene Wenger, FIFA's director of global development.

FIFA has faced strong resistance across European football since launching a formal proposal to organise men's and women's World Cups every two years instead of four.

Infantino has said organising more editions of the World Cup will lead to more countries qualifying and fuel interest there.

It would also raise billions of dollars for FIFA and increase funding for its 211 member federations to develop football.

"In Europe, there is no need for additional possibilities and events," Infantino told lawmakers at the 47-nation Council of Europe

One such person is the head of Kick It Out, Tony Burnett. Burnett frowned on Infantino's comments and said the proposal is only a money-making scheme.

"FIFA is a multi-billion profit-making organisation. They already have the funds to invest in creating and inspiring opportunities for disadvantaged people around the world.

"It is therefore completely unacceptable to suggest that a biennial World Cup, could be a solution for migrants who risk their lives, sometimes fleeing war-torn countries, to seek a better life," Burnett said.

Burnett suggested, "If FIFA has a genuine commitment to tackling inequality, they should be investing time and resource into charitable causes on the ground.

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/fifa-president-faces-backlash-following-take-on-african-migrant-crisis/j8906gn?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=share-button

4 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by naptu2: 5:11pm On Jan 28, 2022
Reactions.

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by XXXXTENTACION: 5:20pm On Jan 28, 2022
shocked Africa why
Why all these deaths
So many destructions in our blessed land... embarassed

Develop our country: NO!

Vote good leaders: NO!

If it is to vote for brown teeth drug barons we go sabi that one...

118 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by OlawaleBammie: 5:50pm On Jan 28, 2022
cry
Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by princeemmma(m): 6:47pm On Jan 28, 2022
This is why we need accept and rebuild what we have and fight to have a great life, instead of running around to deaths............. If i can't make my stand in my country, then i don't have the right to think of making my stand in other country... "my parent once ask me to travel out, and i found that the amount we spending at the end of the day could start a very good business, then why do i have to travel out" even if i want get access to other country, i don't need to seek a die hard method..........this is the right time we have to decide, not yeye argument on the internet about tribe, race and all sorts.

All we need is a leader who will never depreciate, a leader who will understand the heart of the people. Then how do we choose this leader? It is by Voting them in.

I refuse to cast just my single vote for a rogue who is going to torment the country for another tenure undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

NB: Have not seen the right person yet

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by boolet: 5:04am On Jan 29, 2022
Insensitive... Anytime these nitwits want to score cheap humanitarian/political points, they reference Africa, as if they think about the well-being of Africans after getting off the podium from which they speak their gibberish.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by olisefom: 5:04am On Jan 29, 2022
To say the least, very dumb point.

3 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Totilopussylick(m): 5:05am On Jan 29, 2022
All this racist white people love to feel like they are saint undecided

I don't blame him

The blame is on African leaders undecided

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Candidlady: 5:06am On Jan 29, 2022
sad
Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Dproperties: 5:06am On Jan 29, 2022
No worries
Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Totilopussylick(m): 5:09am On Jan 29, 2022
XXXXTENTACION:
shocked Africa why
Why all these deaths
So many destructions in our blessed land... embarassed

Develop our country: NO!

Vote good leaders: NO!

If it is to vote for brown teeth drug barons we go sabi that one...
Don't know if it a curse that African should not develop to avoid all this national embarrassment angry

5 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by gambia(m): 5:13am On Jan 29, 2022
Develop your continent, that's main point.

5 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by boolet: 5:13am On Jan 29, 2022
princeemmma:
This is why we need accept and rebuild what we have and fight to have a great life, instead of running around to deaths............. If i can't make my stand in my country, then i don't have the right to think of making my stand in other country... "my parent once ask me to travel out, and i found that the amount we spending at the end of the day could start a very good business, then why do i have to travel out" even if i want get access to other country, i don't need to seek a die hard method..........this is the right time we have to decide, not yeye argument on the internet about tribe, race and all sorts.

All we need is a leader who will never depreciate, a leader who will understand the heart of the people. Then how do we choose this leader? It is by Voting them in.

I refuse to cast just my single vote for a rogue who is going to torment the country for another tenure undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

NB: Have not seen the right person yet
Good point at the bolded. I have had conversations with people who tell me how much they spent to emigrate, mostly on agents fleecing them. Some pay huge school fees they never attend. All I say is "If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't have left Nigeria"

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Mordecai(m): 5:15am On Jan 29, 2022
angry

Infantino was right. Those asking them to put money into charitable causes are ignoring the crux of his message reproduced below:

"We need to give dignity, not by giving charity but by allowing the rest of the world as well to participate,"

10 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by psalmistkakah(m): 5:17am On Jan 29, 2022
but the man is Right.... now...

7 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Nobody: 5:18am On Jan 29, 2022
His predecessors jaoa havalange,sepp blatter Argentine,Brazilian,had their flaws but an Italian wld show his racism demeanor as Italians can be racist

2 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Tee92(m): 5:21am On Jan 29, 2022
Hmmmmmm, look at what Africa has reduced itself to. No thanks to bad rulers.

4 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Nobody: 5:31am On Jan 29, 2022
Hosting World Cup every 2 years isn’t the answer

1 Like

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Bar1941(m): 5:36am On Jan 29, 2022
What a senseless remarks from the albino, he forgot if his forefathers didn't cross the Mediterranean sea to colonize, enslave and destabilize our political structures, Africans may not even have any course to leave their continent.

In as much I condemned the over desperation of some migrants to migrate to Europe, I think the remark from the FIFA's president is racial and dehumanizing towards Africans.

10 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by ecolime(m): 5:36am On Jan 29, 2022
Infantino is a foolish fool.

Which kain stupid comment be this? What's the correlation between Biennial tournament and crossing the seas?

I weep for Africa

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:38am On Jan 29, 2022
WTF

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by ppogba: 5:39am On Jan 29, 2022
The most insulting statement I have ever heard against the black race since I was born.

I expected AU to respond swiftly but alas,. an organization of morons cannot think deep.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by franchasng: 5:45am On Jan 29, 2022
Mordecai:
angry

Infantino was right. Those asking them to put money into charitable causes are ignoring the crux of his message reproduced below:

"We need to give dignity, not by giving charity but by allowing the rest of the world as well to participate,"

Don't mind them.

Giving charity as in donating to IDPs caused by terrorists...terrorists who became terrorists out of poverty, lack of civilized education and reasoning.

Infantino is completely right.

Europe have it all already, sports and its sister events should have more focus on Africa, it will go a long way in liberating African youths.

Imagine if we have one million Nigerian youths playing professional football and other sports in Europe and earning legitimate money?

Most of those African migrants risking their lives to migrate to Europe via dangerous routes are highly talented youths who are good in swimming, jumping, football, wrestling, boxing, etc. If the world expand and develop more on sports with a focus on Africa, it will help to discover and develop more African youths and give them dignity like Infantino proposed.

World cup should be biennial truly, I have querried this in the past.

Africans just like forming victim all the time, the man is spot on

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by WoundedLamb: 5:55am On Jan 29, 2022
The title is misleading though. There was clearly a debate and each person had something to say. The idea that football could help African migrants didn't sit well with Burnett and he made it clear. However, the title made it look like there was a backlash. Now, there'll eventually be a backlash. Lol.

**Edit**
Ok, going by the attached pics, it was actually a backlash. Sorry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by Nobody: 6:00am On Jan 29, 2022
franchasng:
Don't mind them.

Giving charity as in donating to IDPs caused by terrorists...terrorists who became terrorists out of poverty, lack of civilized education and reasoning.

Infantino is completely right.
See the nonsense you're saying.
Why 1 million youths playing football on Europe? Why not here in Nigeria?
Why not see ways to develop our local league?
But na to run mouth about 1 million Nigerian youths playing in Europe.
Getat abeg

Europe have it all already, sports and its sister events should have more focus on Africa, it will go a long way in liberating African youths.

Imagine if we have one million Nigerian youths playing professional football and other sports in Europe and earning legitimate money?

Most of those African migrants risking their lives to migrate to Europe via dangerous routes are highly talented youths who are good in swimming, jumping, football, wrestling, boxing, etc. If the world expand and develop more on sports with a focus on Africa, it will help to discover and develop more African youths and give them dignity like Infantino proposed.

World cup should be biennial truly, I have querried this in the past.

Africans just like forming victim all the time, the man is spot on
Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by naptu2: 6:05am On Jan 29, 2022
WoundedLamb:
The title is misleading. There was clearly a debate and each person had something to say. The idea that football could help African migrants didn't sit well with Burnett and he made it clear. However, the title made it look like there was a backlash. Now, there'll eventually be a backlash. Lol.

grin grin grin

This is not a backlash??

grin grin grin

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gianni-infantino-biennial-world-cup-could-stop-african-migrants-dying-in-sea-6bms7g2w0

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by mattmogan88: 6:06am On Jan 29, 2022
Am ashamed, this white people still Dy see us as homosapiens , no respect, no regard.

I don't blame them Sha, i blame African leaders.

1 Like

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by chrisxxx(m): 6:10am On Jan 29, 2022
Me see nothing wrong in what he said.
Africans need to be told the truth. We need to think home.

5 Likes

Re: Infantino Criticized For Saying World Cup Could Stop African Migrants Dying by tuzle(m): 6:14am On Jan 29, 2022
Can someone please make sense from his nonsense. How world cup every two years is going to stop migration? Is part of the process from the world cup going to be giving to African countries? and the racist said it like it is only African that do migrate.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Germany Vs Argentina Who Is Your Man Of The Match?? / Life Lessons Learnt From Nigeria's 2-0 Defeat By France / Ime Udoka To Be Announced Brooklyn Nets' Head Coach - Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.