Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,500 members, 7,781,511 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:55 PM

Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. (26243 Views)

Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why / Adorable Photos Of 6 Oyinbo Kids As They Turned 1-year-old / I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Sonnobax15(m): 9:28pm On Feb 01, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by iswallker(m): 9:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
Foreigna2:
Some parents are fools. Remember that fools also grow old. Their foolishness makes them constantly exhibit poor judgment.
Some fools push their daughters into following men for money, others push their sons into crime.
The greatest fools of all are those parents who push their daughters into marrying rich people irrespective of the source of wealth simply because of the hefty bride price they will collect.
E.g Fani Kayode's wife.

undecided
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Habs4800: 9:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
Deep but I will still make my mom proud in a legit way

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by snoopz: 9:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
Right now things don spoil teete, this story no won't change what the youths are after

4 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by naturefellow(m): 9:30pm On Feb 01, 2022
OlawaleBammie:

God bless u bro for that bella sshmurda lines, i hate that line like wetin.

In my mind i was like...what was the mother doing in her prime that she could not make money, obviously she was hoeing around(sorry to say)

I hate ut wen parent say those ritual indicting words.

E easy na hin those parent no build Mansion in their prime??
well said. Don't be sorry!

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by iswallker(m): 9:31pm On Feb 01, 2022
Amojii:
I wish my Mother sees this thread

So I can be vindicated

Bad pikin grin

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 01, 2022
Everybody wan make mama proud nobody wan make papa proud.
I believe no matter what we should love both our parents

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by ImoleNaija: 9:34pm On Feb 01, 2022
This is indeed a terrible time for any girl to lie about her movements. Let people know where you are going, abeg.

Even the bfs are not smiling

13 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Goldentulip2: 9:38pm On Feb 01, 2022
You made a point about COMPARING which is a wrong move, tho some parents do this unknowingly. But how old are you or have you experienced parenting to give a parental advice! It’s easy to say what you say, but EVERY mother have it in their minds for their kids to look after them at retirement aka a sub-retirement plan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Yankee101: 9:39pm On Feb 01, 2022
Pls tell em
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by BlueRobinns: 9:41pm On Feb 01, 2022
naturefellow:
well said. Don't be sorry!

Wereeey cheesy

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by BlueRobinns: 9:41pm On Feb 01, 2022
ImoleNaija:
This is indeed a terrible time for any girl to lie about her movements. Let people know where you are going, abeg.

Even the bfs are not smiling

Hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by BlueRobinns: 9:42pm On Feb 01, 2022
Amojii:
I wish my Mother sees this thread

So I can be vindicated

Weeeeerey. Omo oshi

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Nonexisting: 9:59pm On Feb 01, 2022
Over 60% of boys who go into yahoo do it to please their mothers. Mothers can play big role in putting a stop to the current menace.

10 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by anochuko01(m): 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2022
A good man lays down wealth for his children. Na wetin bible talk be that.

God bless me to provide for my parents, but my siblings take my priority if I must choose.

11 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by od501: 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2022
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

A guy in his Early 20s, who lives just a stone-throw from my doormouth here in Awka fought his father because his father compared him with one notorious yahoo boy in the area.

His father was like "look at ragzzy( not the Yahoo boy's real name), he is super rich, he has exotic cars and houses, all you do everyday is stay here and eat my food and keep roaming round the city"

The boy on his own part was like "Yes, I'm as poor as church rat, the poverty I inherited from you as a result of your laziness and roaming around the city when your mates like Peter Obi, Ifeanyi Uba, Arthur Eze, Dangote, Otedola were busy building foundation for their unborn children"

The angered father couldn't hold himself and angrily rushed towards his son which resulted in serious exchange of blows between the father and his son.

The son no try shaa. I support the part he talked back at him, but exchanging blows? Nah nah nah... that one no follow at all

3 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by freesoul12: 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2022
God bless op for this. My dad fits in dis description.. I was in ss3 wen we fought on d issue of ü must enrol for special center and clear ur Waec.. I was like Dad this is not right now . He didnt even believe in my ability for once. He reluctantly paid for my exam fee. I had to go borrow text books from my friends to read for d exam.. He was waiting for d result to come out and mock me.. Na so î pass. E shock am. Fast forward.. Na so again e wan do for jamb.. I told him its bad.. I go pass make u let me do am. Fast forward i graduated from school.. Job no come in time.. Na so Papa go dey do comparison say his friends son are doing well wen he knew within himself that those guys are yahoo boys. I told him oneday dat sir do u know that those guys are into yahoo.. He said why cant ü do it too. Just walked out of him that day I almost commit suicide due to d pressure. Did some teaching jobs.. Then took some online course in digital biz and trading.. Later money starts coming in.. So he felt Im into yahoo cos he always see me with phone and laptop. So there was a day Sars came to our area to arrest some yahoo guys.. Na so dad rushed in come tell me say make i no go out say make dem no arrest me.. I told him why and for what.. Do you think im into fraud. I went out out immediately with my earpiece and phone even greeted those Sars men while they were taking away those Yahoo boys..my Dad was peeping through d gate thinking they will arrest me. After like 2 months.. I had to pack out of his flat that he gave me. Some parents are just evil and they will surely guide their kids in dat evil path

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Petman22: 10:15pm On Feb 01, 2022
Op is right
Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Olam09(m): 10:17pm On Feb 01, 2022
freesoul12:
God bless op for this. My dad fits in dis description.. I was in ss3 wen we fought on d issue of ü must enrol for special center and clear ur Waec.. I was like Dad this is not right now . He didnt even believe in my ability for once. He reluctantly paid for my exam fee. I had to go borrow text books from my friends to read for d exam.. He was waiting for d result to come out and mock me.. Na so î pass. E shock am. Fast forward.. Na so again e wan do for jamb.. I told him its bad.. I go pass make u let me do am. Fast forward i graduated from school.. Job no come in time.. Na so Papa go dey do comparison say his friends son are doing well wen he knew within himself that those guys are yahoo boys. I told him oneday dat sir do u know that those guys are into yahoo.. He said why cant ü do it too. Just walked out of him that day I almost commit suicide due to d pressure. Did some teaching jobs.. Then took some online course in digital biz and trading.. Later money starts coming in.. So he felt Im into yahoo cos he always see me with phone and laptop. So there was a day Sars came to our area to arrest some yahoo guys.. Na so dad rushed in come tell me say make i no go out say make dem no arrest me.. I told him why and for what.. Do you think im into fraud. I went out out immediately with my earpiece and phone even greeted those Sars men while they were taking away those Yahoo boys..my Dad was peeping through d gate thinking they will arrest me. After like 2 months.. I had to pack out of his flat that he gave me. Some parents are just evil and they will surely guide their kids in dat evil path

May God help us.. try to make sure you establish your kids too whenever you start making family.. we've got to make this money in a more legit way and make our immediate family comfortable.

12 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by JustcallmeFavou(f): 10:17pm On Feb 01, 2022
This is amazing!

Olam09:
Don't use your kids as your retirement plan.

Resist the urge to do it. I understand that tendency as an African parent to bring up your kids and invest everything you have into them, hoping that when you all get older, they'll reciprocate the effort.

I'm not saying it's completely wrong, I'm not saying it is right either.

I'll explain...

One of my favorite songs from Bella Schmurda is Vision 2020. I love the way he rode the beats on that song.

But here's a snippet of the lyrics from that song...

Mama call me, she said Chinedu is balling

What are you doing son? You are dulling

Four years in LASU is really nothing

Better get that money son, we are starving

You see these four lines, coming from a mother, can make any youth go all out to dip their fingers into anything for money.

Imagine a mother oppressing her child mentally like that? Comparing him with Chinedu. So, because he's not throwing money around, he hasn't started living yet?

Four years in LASU is really nothing... Go and get the money anyhow you can. We are starving.

Omo... E choke. This kind of pressure has pushed a lot of daughters into refurbished prostitution in the name of whocup.

Now... The sons are cutting up their whocup girlfriends like suya and trying out their hands at black magic.

No doubt, home training is very important, and part of that home training is helping your child build that self confidence and self esteem.

That understanding that no matter as e bad reach, they shouldn't compare themselves with the Chinedus around them.

That understanding, that they themselves have what it takes to acquire that wealth and it will only require their patience.

But home training isn't enough. Work hard to ensure that your kids have the leverage you never had.

I understand that not everyone will be stupendously wealthy, but I want my kids to to come from a home that can afford the basic things rich kids have.

I don't think I want my daughters to grow up and start following men up and down to buy them coldstone and iphone.

Or just for them to enjoy AC inside car.

I don't want them to be oppressed seeing their friends chop life on Instagram .

Godforbid!

I don't think I want my sons to be put through so much stress trying to build everything from scratch without support from anywhere.

In everything... You're not the only one that is struggling. We all are struggling in this country. Stay content. You're not the only one that needs money, we all want the good life, don't be stupid.

So what can we all do?

The message remains the same, learn productive and well paying skills.

The next generation of illiterates won't be people who didn't go to school, but people who can't learn, unlearn and relearn.

Get skilled up, I don't care if you're in school or not. Skill up.

If you're still spending time chasing cruise on social media, and jumping from one IG live to the other, trying to make yourself look busy...

well... I wonder what your kids will do.

Don't use your kids as your retirement plan, particularly when they are still young. The kick back effect could be negative.

Try very hard to avoid a situation where your first child would be forced to grow up so fast and delve into the labour market (legal or illegal) just to raise cash to support the family.

Just try very hard.

Stay away from pressure people, or learn to control it.

Stay away from these clubs with hype men wey get uncontrollable mouth. They should do their jobs o, but stay away from them.

My own contribution. ✌️

Copied from Ebube Maduaike on Facebook.

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by freesoul12: 10:20pm On Feb 01, 2022
Olam09:

May God help us.. try to make sure you establish your kids too whenever you start making family.. we've got to make this money in a more legit way and make our immediate family comfortable.

Na so boss man.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Kellie069(m): 10:21pm On Feb 01, 2022
Watin come be “ fruit of thy labor “

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by The5DME(m): 10:21pm On Feb 01, 2022
Cc ishilove

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by jasminer: 10:21pm On Feb 01, 2022
I hope some people will be willing to leave their parents house once they clock 16 and not be parasites at 25 claiming parents shouldn't use them as retirement plan...

If you gave those parents the space to build their futures, they most likely won't be broke, but no, you see the free or very affordable government schools and push them to enroll you in one of the best private schools that cost them blood and sweat every term, unlike your mates overseas who attended free education and take loans to pay for their university tuition.

Hypocrisy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by chinchum(m): 10:22pm On Feb 01, 2022
Very true. Raise few you can train "WELL" and invest in your self. In Nigeria a roof over your head that you own at retirement is number 1 and income possibly from stock dividends is advisable. If you can earn rental income also perfect.

3 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by olaztek(m): 10:22pm On Feb 01, 2022
The op just described how exactly I planned to live my life. I must make sure that my future kids get every support they need to survive in this unfriendly society we live in. In Sha Allah

3 Likes

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by Angy55(f): 10:23pm On Feb 01, 2022
The Chidinma's and the Chinedu's over to you grin

1 Like

Re: Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. by efficiencie(m): 10:24pm On Feb 01, 2022
Sekoni003:
Quite an insightful read. You've said it all. Ama still kip grinding for momma tho. I owe her a R.R wraith cool

Correct guy!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? / Life As An Albino (my Experience) / Kenyan Lady Exposes Maid Who Plans To Break Her Marriage To Become New Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.