Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,928 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery (52853 Views)

The Diary of a Cheap labourer (Daily Bread) / 270 Indian Workers At Dangote Company Depart Nigeria / Power Mech Staff At Dangote Refinery Complain Of Work Despite Lockdown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Panda7(m): 5:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
the stress, time and resources of getting education isn't something a graduate should be lurking around unless the government has failed us.
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Acesexcell(m): 5:54pm On Feb 05, 2022
TooMuchStuff:
Dangote is a goat. As in full blown mehhh meehhh

If he was Usman Kabir Laden from the North as a fellow Muslim would Dangote let him be labourer ?

How many Southern University Engineering graduates has Dangote absolved like he did for BUK n ATBU Las year??

Like Buhari like Dangote. Fulanis are all same
what are you saying for God sake. You mean dangote should be engaging all the laborers on site to know their level of their paper qualifications.
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by lexy2014: 6:31pm On Feb 05, 2022
ufotty2001:

Am a tutor in ICAN centre. I know hundreds of people who got qualified as a chartered accountant..!! I know where they are today.

Earlier u said:

I have ICAN I can tell you that the possibility of someone with ICAN without good job is very slim infact 2 out of 10...

Based on your having an ICAN, u can automatically tell that " the possibility of someone with ICAN without good job is very slim infact 2 out of 10...".

But again, u have another criteria for arriving at "2 out of 10". It's now "am a tutor at an ICAN centre".

That means that all the staff in most companies are well paid accountants
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by lexy2014: 6:33pm On Feb 05, 2022
bepositive11:

A reminder that degrees are not enough. What matters most is how you choose to use it

How should he use the degrees?
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by lexy2014: 6:33pm On Feb 05, 2022
bepositive11:

Good. But you can learn a thing or two from his story. A PhD is not enough. Soft skills and networking are also important

Soft skills like?
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by maasoap(m): 6:50pm On Feb 05, 2022
Ankapaige:
We live in a country whereby most of the degrees we acquired do not correlate with our jobs. I graduated from the Department of Political science & International relations, but I currently work in a heavy equipment operator training firm where I am earning well. Most of our trainee operators earn more than what some firms or banks can pay their employees in a month. We have trained Ph.D. holders, masters, and even BSc graduates to operate heavy machinery. Therefore, working in a company or a bank as an accountant does not mean good pay. some bank workers are earning between 50k to 100k depending on their duties and ranks. Maybe he is earning more as a laborer.

How is that possible as a HELPER? Try to read now, not just typing. Lol.

flemsy15:
I don't know his whole story but with a PhD, he should not find it too difficult getting a lecturing job (if he wants to lecture) with all these private higher institutions springing up.

I'm not sure he even has teaching/work experience as someone opined above.
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by ufotty2001: 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2022
lexy2014:

Earlier u said:

I have ICAN I can tell you that the possibility of someone with ICAN without good job is very slim infact 2 out of 10...

Based on your having an ICAN, u can automatically tell that " the possibility of someone with ICAN without good job is very slim infact 2 out of 10...".

But again, u have another criteria for arriving at "2 out of 10". It's now "am a tutor at an ICAN centre".

That means that all the staff in most companies are well paid accountants
Not all the staff are chartered accountant. Am only speaking for those that are ICAN chartered accountant... Also you need to put into consideration company revenue. You don't expect someone that is a chartered accountant working with Agip oil company to earn the same with someone in insurance company.
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by maasoap(m): 7:04pm On Feb 05, 2022
TooMuchStuff:
Like Buhari like Dangote. Fulanis are all same

But the man in question looks like he should be helped by the likes of Obi Cubana now. Wetin concern Dangote with Udoh Nse from Akwa Ibom state?
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by deavicky(m): 8:13pm On Feb 05, 2022
A problem we need to fix by ourselves. Having gone this far he still cannot create a job for himself. Well is a pity. We need to change our perception about going to school.
Having fixed this guy up, I know some who studied Economics and also has PHD in Economics and he's sales bottle. not in traffic oh, he supplies his own with truck although he is doing well.
We still need to fix him too.
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Lugard89: 8:20pm On Feb 05, 2022
He should go for another PhD, since em mind never tell an say na naija he dey
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Hassanmaye(m): 8:37pm On Feb 05, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Maganar gaskiya kenan. Babu zancen karya.

Toh nidai ita ce ta bude min kofar nasara a gare ni.
Aikin me kake, me kakaranta
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Hassanmaye(m): 8:38pm On Feb 05, 2022
yanabasee:

I know two Ph. D holders that are jobless.... No jokes
Innalillahi
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by tonididdy(m): 8:44pm On Feb 05, 2022
Dangote should send me his CV, let me see what I can do!

Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by lexy2014: 8:50pm On Feb 05, 2022
ufotty2001:

Not all the staff are chartered accountant. Am only speaking for those that are ICAN chartered accountant... Also you need to put into consideration company revenue. You don't expect someone that is a chartered accountant working with Agip oil company to earn the same with someone in insurance company.

Even the gateman working with Agip oil company won't earn the same with someone in insurance company. So your analogy isn't peculiar to chartered accountants. But your claim that chartered accountants are widely employed with very good jobs, means that chartered accountants will form the bulk of the staff of every company in Nigeria
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by OLULAW: 8:50pm On Feb 05, 2022
Can someone confirm where he got his PhD from. This is a serious indictment of the institution. No doubt. As some rightly suggested, he should be able to find a lecturing or teaching job in his field, even if in adjunct capacity.
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Perfecttouchade: 8:57pm On Feb 05, 2022
Allisgud:
how do u sale per normal window measurements,that type u display
depending on the size measurements of your windows and varies in designs..kindly WhatsApp chief. Cheers
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by toprealman: 9:11pm On Feb 05, 2022
PhD in 3 years.....in Nigeria or am I missing something?
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Timidangote(m): 10:27pm On Feb 05, 2022
This life male money ooo. The writer didn't even deem it fit to address him as Dr.
MANDIPUTIN:
A PhD holder identified as Udoh Nse James is currently working as a labourer due to his inability to get a befitting job for someone with his qualifications.

His story was shared on LinkedIn by Engr Chinedu Eche who solicited for help for the man with a PhD in Econometrics, Masters and Bachelors degree in Accounting.

Eche revealed that he came across James at site where he was helping his team with the fabrication of Coastic Soda storage tank for Dangote Refinery.

He shared a photo of the PhD holder, and noted that he should be in an institute of learning or Research.

The Engr wrote;

”My beloved LinkedIn family;

This is Udoh Nse James.

From Akwa Ibom State

Contact number 07039187215.

First Degree B.S.C. Accounting 2005

Second Degree M.S.C Accounting 2009

Third Degree P.H.D Econometrics 2012

He is currently working as a helper on a site where my team and I are fabricating and erecting a Coastic Soda Storage tank for Dangote Refinery .

https://www.newsngr.com.ng/2022/02/man-with-two-degrees-and-phd-now-working-as-labourer-at-dangote-refinery/
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Digmygold: 10:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
newoffer:
I am contemplating right now. Either to set up business or continue furthering education where employers pay 80k. Almost a shame

Go make that money.
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by bepositive11: 12:56am On Feb 06, 2022
lexy2014:

Soft skills like?

Communication skills, leadership skills, team work, problem solving, critical thinking, and so on. You can Google them
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Talawaka: 12:58am On Feb 06, 2022
Biodun556:

He might not applied with his PhD for fear of being ignored.

Some people black mail their employers by applying for a job with o level or secondary school certificate and come on social media to claim that they are masters or PhD holder

Back in 2012...

6 Ph.D, 704 Masters holders among applicants for drivers job in Dangote

November 5, 2012

...Of the 13,000 applications received by the Dangote Group for the Graduate Executive Truck Driver, there were six Ph.D, 704 Masters and over 8,460 Bachelor degree holders.

Speaking during the mentor-ship meeting of the World Bank Youth Forum, Chairman of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, said that the company only needed 100 drivers, but received the overwhelming applications.

According to Dangote, most of the applicants were from reputable universities and had the needed quality.

He said: “All these things are verifiable, and they all graduated from reputable institutions which is satisfactory; and our plan is to eventually make them self dependent.

“Despite the fact that the drivers get trip allowances on each trip along with their salaries, the arrangement is that they will own the trucks at no interests or repayments after they must have reached 300,000 kilometres, which is about 140 trips from Lagos to Kano and a hard working driver can complete in two years, while lazy ones can take maximum of four years.”
Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/6-ph-d-704-masters-holders-among-applicants-for-drivers-job-in-dangote
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by bepositive11: 1:03am On Feb 06, 2022
lexy2014:

How should he use the degrees?

It's up to him to decide

It's important for us to know what our strengths and weakness are then choose a path that complement our strengths. It's also important to be creative and stand out from the crowd

For example, if someone is good at problem solving and critical thinking and they get a software engineering degree, they can either apply to jobs from morning till night and give up when they get no offers. Or they can work on personal IT projects and get other certifications to build their cv and stand out from the crowd

This man OP is talking about didn't know how to use his degree to his advantage. And he wasn't creative enough to find his way through
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by macAB: 1:44am On Feb 06, 2022
Wawa ne
Karyar banza
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by sonofthunder: 3:39am On Feb 06, 2022
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
even cow must not ask such question

Don't be so shallow in thinking...... Think!!!
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by sonofthunder: 3:44am On Feb 06, 2022
alizma:

He has been a die hard hustler just like you can see him in that pix. Many paid their fees that way.
May God bless all true hustlers

You may be right. But that will only make me expect more because most it really is unthinkable to to do such after 10years of acquiring his PHD.

My only excuse is that he took up a lower job in order to get closer (to information) on another job. You can also consider it..... There are so many opportunities between where he is and where he could be. Being a labourer is significantly low.

What was even his reason for acquiring said PhD?

1 Like

Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by sonofthunder: 3:47am On Feb 06, 2022
Judolisco:
u can easily get a sponsor for anything academics Na... Ur parents day are civil servants can easily sponsor u.. But might not be able to get u a job... D nigga is a hustler... I'm currently doing my msc and I'm earning less than 100k per month

I find it difficult to believe that somebody sponsored by parents to PhD level can stoop so low. Higher chance he may have been born with a silver spoon. He appears to have had his MSC and PhD back to back.

Unless his area of focus was in one that lacked opportunity

Am sure if you reconsider, you'll realise one can get sponsors but it is not always that easy.

It will be very difficult for somebody like you to stoop so low in 10 years time. You may even get a lecturing job or some other opportunity before you acquire your PhD. Please understand that I'm not mocking him
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by sonofthunder: 3:49am On Feb 06, 2022
gosmoney:
see question how does sponsoring his education get to do with no job after education

Think beyond the surface. Put yourself in other peoples shoes
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 3:53am On Feb 06, 2022
sonofthunder:

Don't be so shallow in thinking...... Think!!!
you still don't have point
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by BafanaBafana: 7:54am On Feb 06, 2022
Hassanmaye:

Graduate are looking for jobs of 30k you are rejecting 70k you must come from a rich family
I'm not looking at that o. I'm looking at the graduates earning 200k monthly.
Just like some people with degree and HND will go and join army recruit and be taking others from those they were better than in school. God forbid.
I'm from an average family by the way. And during the time in question, I hung around the university, writing projects for students, doing assignment and every other computer work while learning a skill until I got a job
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by chariiks(m): 8:26am On Feb 06, 2022
Ankapaige:
We live in a country whereby most of the degrees we acquired do not correlate with our jobs. I graduated from the Department of Political science & International relations, but I currently work in a heavy equipment operator training firm where I am earning well. Most of our trainee operators earn more than what some firms or banks can pay their employees in a month. We have trained Ph.D. holders, masters, and even BSc graduates to operate heavy machinery. Therefore, working in a company or a bank as an accountant does not mean good pay. some bank workers are earning between 50k to 100k depending on their duties and ranks. Maybe he is earning more as a laborer.
Sir I am interested in your company training. How do I join?
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by Judolisco(m): 12:08pm On Feb 06, 2022
sonofthunder:

I find it difficult to believe that somebody sponsored by parents to PhD level can stoop so low. Higher chance he may have been born with a silver spoon. He appears to have had his MSC and PhD back to back.

Unless his area of focus was in one that lacked opportunity

Am sure if you reconsider, you'll realise one can get sponsors but it is not always that easy.

It will be very difficult for somebody like you to stoop so low in 10 years time. You may even get a lecturing job or some other opportunity before you acquire your PhD. Please understand that I'm not mocking him
stoop so low you say? He is hustling one day it will click for him @least he is not stealing...yes he had it back to back... Jst like me after nysc I started my msc ASAP... It's not always easy to get a good job in Nigeria... U can get a sponsor but not a job...
Re: Man With Two Degrees And Phd Now Working As Labourer At Dangote Refinery by AFONJAPIG(m): 12:16pm On Feb 06, 2022
Hassanmaye:

Blood of Zachariah what work do you do
you never hear say Nigeria nah useless country

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Cleaner Earns N375,000 Monthly In Niger State – Investigation / Female Army Officer Ogunleye Ruth Cries Out For Help Over Alleged Superior Maltr / Well Dressed Barrow Pusher In Abuja (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.