Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,535 members, 7,808,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? (5192 Views)

The Origin Of Freemasonry Is North Africa Sex Worship And Human Sacrifice / Man To Collect Equipment Donated To RCCG If Adeboye Fails To Endorse A Candidate / Suicide & Depression TRUTH - Does The BIBLE Endorse Suicide? (by Nephtali1981) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by NNTR: 6:43pm On Feb 20, 2022
DeepSight:
1. None of this explains the animal sacrifices of the old testament and ...
Nothing to explain other than what's already said that the animal sacrifices of the Old Testament, is a precursor, is a shadow of the genuine article

DeepSight:
2. The concept of an innocent party paying with his life for the sins of guilty parties hardly seems just.
I am going to cut to the chase with you.

Is it, just, that you replace the normal.dot file in your Microsoft Word application, when the existing one in the application, is corrupt?

DeepSight:
Balancing the scales of justice requires appropriate reciprocal consequences to those persons who deserve them. The idea that anyone can step in and "buy-out" the punishment is a commercial concept which should be alien to true justice, especially justice of a divine nature. Not only is this "buy-out" concept mercantile in nature, it is also intrinsically pagan and thus as far away from the purity of divine justice as can be imagined.

This is aside from the fact that the said sacrifice of Christ is questionable as a sacrifice. Because to lay down a life that you know for sure you are picking up again three days later is a much better deal than any other mortal has.
Matthew 26:38-39
38He told them,
My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death
. Stay here and keep watch with Me.”
39He went on a little farther and bowed with His face to the ground, praying,
My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from Me.
Yet I want your will to be done, not Mine
.”
'

OR

'38and He said to them,
I am so sad that I feel as if I am dying
. Stay here and keep awake with Me.”
39Jesus walked on a little way. Then he knelt with His face to the ground and prayed,
My Father, if it is possible, don't make Me suffer by drinking from this cup.
But do what you want, and not what I want.
'

loll. Smh. I want to believe, you're arent making light of the ordeal Jesus went through.

I said that, because Jesus, God Incarnate, meaning, God personified in human body flesh, meaning God come down to earth, meaning Jesus, the visible image of the invisible God while being lead to His death, was spat on. He was blindfolded, then repeatedly slapped, had missiles thrown at and struck on the head with all manners of blunt object. People along the street leading to Calvary, pulled out the hairs of His beard, as in, yanked out or ripped out His beard from His face, as He walked by, carrying His cross.

Bible narratives, further, even said, Jesus was not just ordinarily beaten but that He was extraordinarily and gruesomely beaten up. He was that so beaten up beyond recognition, such that those that looked at Him in this state, recoiled back, horrified with shock at His appearance, because He was so disfigured that He didnt at all resemble a human being anymore, as in, He hardly at all, looked like a human being after the grievous bodily harm assault (GBH) on Him. He was fugly, literally was completely panel beaten up beyond ever being recognised to be a human being.

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by NNTR: 6:44pm On Feb 20, 2022
DeepSight:
Please stop punctuating your write-ups with "lol" after every few words, if you mean to be taken seriously ...
I am not going to peacefully and soundly sleep any less, if not taking seriously.

Now, my dear friend, brother and blood, loll, fyi, I dont punctuate using 'lol', what I use, is 'loll', and it is used consciously and intentionally.

Strange that, I would never dream of requesting that you censor your posts, I would never dream of asking you to suppress your reactions to posts. As a further matter, I find it extremely amusing you being riled by my punctuating with 'loll' especially when laughter is a strong medicine, in fact, its a tonic for health. Laughter, fyi, asides, decreasing stress hormones, it increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, and thus improves our resistance to disease, even a good laugh does one a world of good exercising the heart’s muscles, so that's some of the reasons behind why you see me, not miss a chance to 'laugh out loud literally'

You should try loll too, so to reap the benefits of loll. Lighten up, just enjoy life more, with a smile more, laugh more, and don't get so rile up by it, loll.

If tbh, some of your comments too, makes me resignedly smh loll, even this your Lie Mohammed role playing stunt, just takes the biscuit, loll.

DeepSight:
... Now, note that nothing you have said has justified the blood-lust of Yahweh. Why exactly is genuine repentance insufficient, why must blood-letting do the job of forgiveness?
Hebrews 9:22-28
22In fact under the Law almost everything is cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness [neither release from sin and its guilt, nor cancellation of the merited punishment].
23Therefore it was necessary for the [earthly] copies of the heavenly things to be cleansed with these, but the heavenly things themselves required far better sacrifices than these.
24For Christ did not enter into a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but [He entered] into heaven itself, now to appear in the very presence of God on our behalf;
25nor did He [enter into the heavenly sanctuary to] offer Himself again and again, as the high priest enters the Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own.
26Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer over and over since the foundation of the world; but now once for all at the consummation of the ages He has appeared and been publicly manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
27And just as it is appointed and destined for all men to die once and after this [comes certain] judgment,
28so Christ, having been offered once and once for all to bear [as a burden] the sins of many, will appear a second time [when he returns to earth], not to deal with sin, but to bring salvation to those who are eagerly and confidently waiting for Him.

If you know anything about the implication of bad blood, you wouldnt have made this your 'Why exactly is genuine repentance insufficient, why must blood-letting do the job of forgiveness?' gaffe comment

What you, are, is in your DNA, is in your blood. Your blood has memory, that your DNA, yeah, it, comes from blood, loll. Your blood!

DeepSight:
How exactly does that make sense if Yahweh is not a pagan barbarian?
Name me one perfect human being and without any sin whatsoever, dead or alive, that you've met, you've come across, you've read about, you know, you've known or you've heard about, loll?

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by TenQ: 7:08pm On Feb 20, 2022
DeepSight:

1. None of this explains the animal sacrifices of the old testament and
2. The concept of an innocent party paying with his life for the sins of guilty parties hardly seems just.

Balancing the scales of justice requires appropriate reciprocal consequences to those persons who deserve them. The idea that anyone can step in and "buy-out" the punishment is a commercial concept which should be alien to true justice, especially justice of a divine nature. Not only is this "buy-out" concept mercantile in nature, it is also intrinsically pagan and thus as far away from the purity of divine justice as can be imagined.

This is aside from the fact that the said sacrifice of Christ is questionable as a sacrifice. Because to lay down a life that you know for sure you are picking up again three days later is a much better deal than any other mortal has.
You copied out just the conclusion and concluded that it didn't make sense.

Speaking about appropriate punishment
The Creator of Everything gave you an instruction and you blatantly refused, what do you think should be the punishment?
Is it a Limited punishment or a Extraordinary Punishment?

Read again the concept of the SCAPEGOAT. The scapegoat is one who serves the punishment due to the whole class. If God chose a scapegoat instead of you, should you not be grateful? Now God did not choose a human being to be a Scapegoat even though a human being was the guilty one, should humans not be grateful? The innocent life in the old testament is an animal NOT a human being.

The purpose of the sacrifice of Christ are
1. Animals are not in the same class with humans this cannot be a suitable equivalent scapegoat.
2. No single human being is perfect enough to be a Scapegoat for another human being because he himself need atonement. Hence the need of a sinless person who can become the scapegoat: Christ Jesus.
3. The solution of God is an infinitely great (perhaps too expensive) substitute: Himself (because of Love)
4. What was required as an evidence of payment is NOT life but the BLOOD!
Rev 1:5:
"And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. To him that loved us, and[b] washed us from our sins in his own blood,[/b] "

Finally, the concept of the scapegoat came from the OLD Testament and NOT from pagan origin. Lev16:1-26
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by NNTR: 7:11pm On Feb 20, 2022
Steep:
What I think is that the animal sacrifice represented the sacrifice of Jesus, they were temporary till the real sacrifice.
This answer isnt sufficient enough for him

DeepSight:
But how exactly does that work?
How does something like that stand in the gap for the supposed real thing? Is it that papa-God sha must see blood before him go hear pesin, abi wetin, break it down.

And secondly this still does not answer why that "real sacrifice" is so necessary in the first place. Why is genuine repentance from sins insufficient?

TenQ:
... NOTE:
This is God's own SOLUTION for the PROBLEM of SIN in Man.

To the New Testament:

Heb 9:12:
"Neither by the blood of goats and calves,
but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us."

Heb 10:4:
"For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins."

The Blood of Animals is an antitype pointing to the time when the LAMB of God will once and for all take away the sins of the world.
John 1:29:
"The next day John sees Jesus coming to him, and said,
Behold the Lamb of God, which takes away the sin of the world."

Jesus Himself explained it like this:
Only those who accept God's solution and prescription for the problem of sin gets SAVED.

John 3:14-15:
"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
That whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life."

Conclusion:
Why does God require Blood/Life as sacrifice for SIN?
Because sin MUST be punished (no escape for that)!
https://www.nairaland.com/6970625/does-bible-endorse-human-sacrifice/4#110355526
TenQ, as seen from above link+mention, earlier had amicably and capably given you a snapshot with supporting and instructive bible verses

Hebrews 9:22, as I've previously up there shared, states that:
In fact under the Law almost everything is cleansed with blood,
and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness
[neither release from sin and its guilt, nor cancellation of the merited punishment].

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by Steep: 10:43pm On Feb 20, 2022
DeepSight:

But how exactly does that work? How does something like that stand in the gap for the supposed real thing? Is it that papa-God sha must see blood before him go hear pesin, abi wetin, break it down.
that is because the wages of sin is death. Justice demands that the price of sin be paid and justice is the nature of God. Just as God is Love so he is holy, righteous and just. God must execute judgment on sin his love does not cancel out his demand for justice and vice versa.

And secondly this still does not answer why that "real sacrifice" is so necessary in the first place. Why is genuine repentance from sins insufficient?
The power the temporary sacrifice was a of the real one that was to come.
Genuine repentance is insufficient because justice demand the price of sin must be paid.
This is called justice.
Don't confuse mercy with justice, they are two different thing. Justice demand you pay the price of sin irrespective of whether you repent or not.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by Steep: 10:56pm On Feb 20, 2022
DeepSight

1. If somebody damages your property what do you do? It's either the person pays for the damages or you forgive the person and you pay for the damages. Right? which ever way damages must be paid.

2. For planes or rockets to move upward the law of gravity must be satisfied. Something must come down or be displaced.

3. When you gift someone something you pay a price for the gift.

Basically, laws must be satisfied directly or indirectly.

How much more divine law. God himself does not contradict himself because he is truth.
Truth means no compromise, no contradiction.

God's qualities such as righteousness, holiness, truth, justice, faithfulness, love, long-suffering, etc are what makes God who he is.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by DeepSight(m): 9:09am On Feb 21, 2022
NNTR:
Nothing to explain other than what's already said that the animal sacrifices of the Old Testament, is a precursor, is a shadow of the genuine article

What is the use of shadows and precursors ? ? ?
Desist from such meaningless pursuits with us, lest we take you for either a nincompoop or a clown.

I am going to cut to the chase with you.

Is it, just, that you replace the normal.dot file in your Microsoft Word application, when the existing one in the application, is corrupt?

What sort of preposterous analogy is this?
You had better sit up, lest we begin to upbraid and sanction you in a properly harsh manner.

I said that, because Jesus, God Incarnate, meaning, God personified in human body flesh, meaning God come down to earth,

This is blasphemy.
Be warned, and take frightful notice, lest your name is recommended for the Lake of Fire on this account.

meaning Jesus, the visible image of the invisible God while being lead to His death, was spat on. He was blindfolded, then repeatedly slapped, had missiles thrown at and struck on the head with all manners of blunt object. People along the street leading to Calvary, pulled out the hairs of His beard, as in, yanked out or ripped out His beard from His face, as He walked by, carrying His cross.

Bible narratives, further, even said, Jesus was not just ordinarily beaten but that He was extraordinarily and gruesomely beaten up. He was that so beaten up beyond recognition, such that those that looked at Him in this state, recoiled back, horrified with shock at His appearance, because He was so disfigured that He didnt at all resemble a human being anymore, as in, He hardly at all, looked like a human being after the grievous bodily harm assault (GBH) on Him. He was fugly, literally was completely panel beaten up beyond ever being recognised to be a human being.

While truly sad, this sort of horrifying experience is by no means limited to Jesus alone. In fact, many have undergone similar or worse.
Straighten up your back now as a man, and eschew sentimental thinking: lest we take you to the barracks for a flogging.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by DeepSight(m): 9:11am On Feb 21, 2022
NNTR:
I am not going to peacefully and soundly sleep any less, if not taking seriously.

Now, my dear friend, brother and blood, loll, fyi, I dont punctuate using 'lol', what I use, is 'loll', and it is used consciously and intentionally.

Strange that, I would never dream of requesting that you censor your posts, I would never dream of asking you to suppress your reactions to posts. As a further matter, I find it extremely amusing you being riled by my punctuating with 'loll' especially when laughter is a strong medicine, in fact, its a tonic for health. Laughter, fyi, asides, decreasing stress hormones, it increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, and thus improves our resistance to disease, even a good laugh does one a world of good exercising the heart’s muscles, so that's some of the reasons behind why you see me, not miss a chance to 'laugh out loud literally'

Take caution lest we begin to mete out discipline to you.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by killyaselfie: 11:28am On Feb 21, 2022
DeepSight:

Desist from such meaningless pursuits with us, lest we take you for either a nincompoop or a clown.

You had better sit up, lest we begin to upbraid and sanction you in a properly harsh manner.

This is blasphemy.
Be warned, and take frightful notice, lest your name is recommended for the Lake of Fire on this account.

While truly sad, this sort of horrifying experience is by no means limited to Jesus alone. In fact, many have undergone similar or worse.
Straighten up your back now as a man, and eschew sentimental thinking: lest we take you to the barracks for a flogging.

You are one step away from calling him jackass.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by NNTR: 2:23pm On Feb 21, 2022
NNTR:

You should try loll too, so to reap the benefits of loll. Lighten up, just enjoy life more, with a smile more, laugh more, and don't get so rile up by it, loll.

If tbh, some of your comments too, makes me resignedly smh loll, even this your Lie Mohammed role playing stunt, just takes the biscuit, loll.

Hebrews 9:22-28
22In fact under the Law almost everything is cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness [neither release from sin and its guilt, nor cancellation of the merited punishment].
23Therefore it was necessary for the [earthly] copies of the heavenly things to be cleansed with these, but the heavenly things themselves required far better sacrifices than these.
24For Christ did not enter into a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but [He entered] into heaven itself, now to appear in the very presence of God on our behalf;
25nor did He [enter into the heavenly sanctuary to] offer Himself again and again, as the high priest enters the Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own.
26Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer over and over since the foundation of the world; but now once for all at the consummation of the ages He has appeared and been publicly manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
27And just as it is appointed and destined for all men to die once and after this [comes certain] judgment,
28so Christ, having been offered once and once for all to bear [as a burden] the sins of many, will appear a second time [when he returns to earth], not to deal with sin, but to bring salvation to those who are eagerly and confidently waiting for Him.

If you know anything about the implication of bad blood, you wouldnt have made this your 'Why exactly is genuine repentance insufficient, why must blood-letting do the job of forgiveness?' gaffe comment

What you, are, is in your DNA, is in your blood. Your blood has memory, that your DNA, yeah, it, comes from blood, loll. Your blood!

Name me one perfect human being and without any sin whatsoever, dead or alive, that you've met, you've come across, you've read about, you know, you've known or you've heard about, loll?

DeepSight:
Take caution lest we begin to mete out discipline to you.
I love discipline, loll

DeepSight:
Shadows and/or precursors are used to sensitize others to some real that's coming

DeepSight:
If being a nincompoop is what it takes or even being a clown, is what's required, I shall be become, that, I shall become, loll.

DeepSight:
I'll so much love that, loll

DeepSight:
This is blasphemy.
Matthew 26:65
Then the high priest tore his clothing to show his horror and said, “Blasphemy!
Why do we need other witnesses?
You have all heard his blasphemy

Blasphemy, is a word, we use often for a topic and/or subject matter, which is not yet understood and even which we havent yet grasped

DeepSight:

Notice how you couldn't get yourself to give an answer to the easy, direct, simple, harmless, innocent and straightforward question repeated up here again

DeepSight:
Straighten up your back now as a man, and eschew sentimental thinking:
lest we take you to the barracks for a flogging.
Smh, pfft.

killyaselfie:
I have been called worse. I've even being accused of being worse. If being a jackass is whats required, then let me be the the goat jackass of them all., loll.

If called a jackass, I would gladly wear it, as a badge of honour

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by DeepSight(m): 4:01pm On Feb 21, 2022
killyaselfie:

O most lamentable and infernal goblin: thou neither hast the spirit of genial camaraderie nor recognizeth playful good humour, when it is afoot. Read again, and surely thou shouldest recognize it at once.

Now quicken thy wits, lest we bring a rod to thy back, as it is written:
A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey and a rod for the back of the fool - Proverbs 26:3
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by DeepSight(m): 4:14pm On Feb 21, 2022
NNTR:

I love discipline, loll

Shadows and/or precursors are used to sensitize others to some real that's coming

1. That doesn't answer as to why the Israelites were required to make burnt offerings to Yahweh in the Old Testament. You should address yourself to the question in this way: did those burnt offerings serve as propitiation for their sins or not?

2. The answer you have given is dubious to the extent that you are trying to make out that the animal sacrifices of the OT were some sort of training or dress rehearsal for Christ's sacrifice when in fact they were fully intended to appease the barbaric pagan deity Yahweh at that time.

3. Such sacrifices were common throughout lands of the peoples of that region at that time, and the Israelites were simply no different.

If being a nincompoop is what it takes or even being a clown, is what's required, I shall be become, that, I shall become, loll.

Unlike you I have outgrown insults, and all of that was intended as a joke, which I thought you would see through.

Blasphemy, is a word, we use often for a topic and/or subject matter, which is not yet understood and even which we havent yet grasped

It is blasphemy to look at a fellow human being and begin to worship him as almighty God.
Even Jesus warned against this.

But since you worship a Jew, please do not ever look down on any others who also worship men.

1. On what basis is it confidently asserted that Jesus was without sin? ? ?
2. So what if he was without sin. How does that answer the question. Oho, so your Yahweh is blood thirsty for pure sacrifices, is that what you are saying?
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by killyaselfie: 5:11pm On Feb 21, 2022
DeepSight:

O most lamentable and infernal goblin: thou neither hast the spirit of genial camaraderie nor recognizeth playful good humour, when it is afoot. Read again, and surely thou shouldest recognize it at once.

Now quicken thy wits, lest we bring a rod to thy back, as it is written:
A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey and a rod for the back of the fool - Proverbs 26:3

Sure. I’m sure NNTR also took it as a joke. Must be like the immaterial pixies only you understand.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by DeepSight(m): 5:22pm On Feb 21, 2022
killyaselfie:

Sure. I’m sure NNTR also took it as a joke. Must be like the immaterial pixies only you understand.

Not just pixies, but also goblins, gnomes, fairies, elves, leprechauns, witches, wizards, black-cats, vampires, revenants, wili-wili, teke-teke, rakshasa and the like, a merry lot, you should get to know.

. . . When you join us at Blåkulla!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockula
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 8:43am On Feb 22, 2022
DeepSight:

1. On what basis is it confidently asserted that Jesus was without sin? ? ?
2. So what if he was without sin. How does that answer the question. Oho, so your Yahweh is blood thirsty for pure sacrifices, is that what you are saying?

John7
6Jesus said to them, “My time has not yet come, but your time is always here. 7The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify about it that its works are evil. 8You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.” 9After saying this, he remained in Galilee.

10But after his brothers had gone up to the feast, then he also went up , not publicly but in private.

Are telling untruths righteous now? I suppose so.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by LordReed(m): 8:51am On Feb 22, 2022
PastorAIO:

John7
6Jesus said to them, “My time has not yet come, but your time is always here. 7The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify about it that its works are evil. 8You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.” 9After saying this, he remained in Galilee.

10But after his brothers had gone up to the feast, then he also went up , not publicly but in private.

Are telling untruths righteous now? I suppose so.

LMAO! Jesus caught in a lie?! Tell me it ain't so!
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 9:11am On Feb 22, 2022
DeepSight:
OK Jamesid29,
[b]Away from all the technicality of language and wayizbahs and Josiahs and Jephtahs and what not.
[/b]What is your own take on the concept of a transcendental omnipotent God requiring any kind of propitiatory sacrifice for sins - be it the animal sacrifices of the Old Testament or the alleged sacrifice of Christ of the New Testament.

I have not failed to notice the tendency to resort to some technicality here or there that has nowt to do with the main thrust of an issue.

The most salient and key arguments are ignored when 'they' have no answer, instead of putting their hands up and admitting it 'they' will respond with ...

jamesid29:

hmm.... it's alright sir
Enjoy the rest of your week

... giving the impression that 'they' can't be bothered to talk anymore, in the most dismissive manner possible.

But as soon as they (the same 'they', ie indoctrinated victims of yhwh) think they have found some small technicality to trip you up with they start to gush and write encyclopaedically sized posts, no matter how peripheral it is to the main subject matter.

I have yet to see 'them' dance the twist to Ezekiel 20:25,26... A clear and open admission by Yhwh that he did indeed ask for human sacrifice . Filicide to be precise.

25Moreover, I gave them statutes that were not good and rules by which they could not have life, 26and I defiled them through their very gifts in their offering up all their firstborn, that I might devastate them. I did it that they might know that I am the LORD.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 9:27am On Feb 22, 2022
jamesid29:

LoL... I hope you know that Abraham's Modern Yoruba dictionary is available on online libraries, right...

It is well sir

jamesid29:

Part of my job heavily depends on research..

In any case, I borrowed it and it clearly shows that apart from both words not even sharing the same sound, they don't share the same root or etymology.

Added the other one's that share the same sound but not the same root or meanings for further clarity.

Anyway, it's fine.

Why borrow it? after all it is available online. I bring this up because I'm beginning to fear that the spirit of mendacity (a speciality of yhwh's) is at play.

jamesid29:

Just look at the dictionary. I believe you should know how it's structured since you also own it.

As for the sound, that has to do with the ami.. BỌ́ is a different ami ohun from BỌ

Please consider the word for mother, Iya. Then consider those spirits known in Yoruba as 'Our Mothers'. Iyaami Osoronga. because the ami is different does not mean that the word does not refer to the power of motherhood.

Etymology[edit]
In Yoruba language, Ìyá mi literally means "my mother".[1] In Yoruba cosmology, the mother's roles as the force of creation and the sustainer of life and existence elevates her to the realm of the divine. Consequently, Ìyá mi - with alterations in tones - becomes Ìyààmi or Ìyàmi,[2] which can be translated as "the super-powerful ones"[3] or "My Mysterious Mother."[4][5] Àjẹ́ is a Yoruba word that signifies the biological and spiritual power of African women that has myriad potential, including but not limited to, powers of elemental, biological and artistic creation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iyami_Aje

jamesid29:

Part of my job heavily depends on research..

In any case, I borrowed it and it clearly shows that apart from both words not even sharing the same sound, they don't share the same root or etymology.

Added the other one's that share the same sound but not the same root or meanings for further clarity.

Anyway, it's fine.

I believe the problem may be that you don't understand what Etymology is. Etymology does not concern itself with the present day meaning of a word but rather with the origins of the word, allowing for the fact that meanings can change and the phonetic word of the sound can change too.
Dictionaries do not give etymology but only pronunciation and present day meaning and usage. RC Abrahams dictionary does not go into the etymology of any words.
My favourite example of how very different sounding words can have the same etymology is the case with 'James'. The name James is originally Iacov, a Hebrew name. Iacov is directly translated into English as Jacob. However it is translated into Italian as Iago, or Diego, or Tiago. In English while Jacob is use it also manifests as James which some consider to be a different word/name.

All of these are irrelevant to the main point which is that yhwh required human sacrifice of children and clearly admits to this is in Ezekiel 20 25,26. However this is something that happens to be a pet interest of mine beyond this topic. It might help to consider the contexts in which the word ebo is used and how it is used, and what it refers to.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by DeepSight(m): 10:48am On Feb 22, 2022
PastorAIO:

I have not failed to notice the tendency to resort to some technicality here or there that has nowt to do with the main thrust of an issue.

The most salient and key arguments are ignored when 'they' have no answer, instead of putting their hands up and admitting it 'they' will respond with ...

... giving the impression that 'they' can't be bothered to talk anymore, in the most dismissive manner possible.

But as soon as they (the same 'they', ie indoctrinated victims of yhwh) think they have found some small technicality to trip you up with they start to gush and write encyclopaedically sized posts, no matter how peripheral it is to the main subject matter.

I have yet to see 'them' dance the twist to Ezekiel 20:25,26... A clear and open admission by Yhwh that he did indeed ask for human sacrifice . Filicide to be precise.

25Moreover, I gave them statutes that were not good and rules by which they could not have life, 26and I defiled them through their very gifts in their offering up all their firstborn, that I might devastate them. I did it that they might know that I am the LORD.

Regrettably it is a familiar pattern among religionists of all colors, save perhaps some of the far eastern spiritual and meditative schools. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the sheer ease with which they are able to dismiss and waltz past even the clearest verses, so long as they do not like them. I mean you can see a verse that reads "This stone is black" and poker faced, they will tell you that it actually means the stone is white - that is if they do not simply ignore the verse altogether even if you cite it a thousand times.

These same will insist that all scripture is inspired by God.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by DeepSight(m): 10:55am On Feb 22, 2022
PastorAIO:

I'm beginning to fear that the spirit of mendacity (a speciality of yhwh's) is at play.

Yahweh is indeed no stranger to the arts of deceit and he is oft to be found even boasting of his prowess in this regard.

All of these are irrelevant to the main point which is that yhwh required human sacrifice of children and clearly admits to this is in Ezekiel 20 25,26.

And in this they struggle: being unable to reconcile the barbarous sacrificial practices of their religion with the alleged transcendental purity of their god. . .
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 11:06am On Feb 22, 2022
DeepSight:

Regrettably it is a familiar pattern among religionists of all colors, save perhaps some of the far eastern spiritual and meditative schools. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the sheer ease with which they are able to dismiss and waltz past even the clearest verses, so long as they do not like them. I mean you can see a verse that reads "This stone is black" and poker faced, they will tell you that it actually means the stone is white - that is if they do not simply ignore the verse altogether even if you cite it a thousand times.

These same will insist that all scripture is inspired by God.

"But context, my dear sir. context! When the Holy Spirit is guiding you then you'll be given the context. If you understand the cultural context of the Hebrew language and it's grammatical structure then you'll understand that the stone is indeed white, after all have you not heard of sarcasm. Hebrew is a sarcastic language whereby when something is called white it is actually black".

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by jamesid29(m): 8:07am On Feb 23, 2022
It is well...

PastorAIO:

Why borrow it? after all it is available online. I bring this up because I'm beginning to fear that the spirit of mendacity (a speciality of yhwh's) is at play.

Please consider the word for mother, Iya. Then consider those spirits known in Yoruba as 'Our Mothers'. Iyaami Osoronga. because the ami is different does not mean that the word does not refer to the power of motherhood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iyami_Aje

I believe the problem may be that you don't understand what Etymology is. Etymology does not concern itself with the present day meaning of a word but rather with the origins of the word, allowing for the fact that meanings can change and the phonetic word of the sound can change too.
Dictionaries do not give etymology but only pronunciation and present day meaning and usage. RC Abrahams dictionary does not go into the etymology of any words.
My favourite example of how very different sounding words can have the same etymology is the case with 'James'. The name James is originally Iacov, a Hebrew name. Iacov is directly translated into English as Jacob. However it is translated into Italian as Iago, or Diego, or Tiago. In English while Jacob is use it also manifests as James which some consider to be a different word/name.

All of these are irrelevant to the main point which is that yhwh required human sacrifice of children and clearly admits to this is in Ezekiel 20 25,26. However this is something that happens to be a pet interest of mine beyond this topic. It might help to consider the contexts in which the word ebo is used and how it is used, and what it refers to.

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 12:30pm On Feb 23, 2022
jamesid29:
It is well...

Actually it is not well. Not for anyone deceived by Yhwh. It is a dangerous game to play with an entity that is given to mendacity and lying. I see my people going to yhwh with an open heart, making honest enquiries of yhwh, and being led to their destruction thereby.

Let this be a lesson in point that those who go to enquire from his prophets are liable to be lied to and deceived. 1Kings 22. The entire chapter. Jehoshaphat the king of Israel came to Judah to plan a war and of Course the first thing they will do is enquire from the prophets of yhwh. In a spirit of honest enquiry they approach yhwh's prophets.

12And all the prophets prophesied so and said, “Go up to Ramoth-gilead and triumph; the LORD will give it into the hand of the king.” ....

....19And Micaiah said, “Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing beside him on his right hand and on his left; 20and the LORD said, ‘Who will entice Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ And one said one thing, and another said another. 21Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying, ‘I will entice him.’ 22And the LORD said to him, ‘By what means?’ And he said, ‘I will go out, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And he said, ‘You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go out and do so.’ 23Now therefore behold, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; the LORD has declared disaster for you.”

A god that can use his prophets to lie and cause disaster. A god that can give commands to sacrifice your first child, again with the express purpose of causing disaster. Is this what you are following? Is this the pit that my beautiful African brothers and sisters have fallen into? And they deeper they go into yhwh worship the worse their lives become, until the whole country is devastated. This is a serious frying pan and a serious fire altogether.

lndeed 'the thief comes only to Steal Kill and Destroy. '

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by DeepSight(m): 4:41pm On Feb 23, 2022
PastorAIO:

Actually it is not well. Not for anyone deceived by Yhwh. It is a dangerous game to play with an entity that is given to mendacity and lying. I see my people going to yhwh with an open heart, making honest enquiries of yhwh, and being led to their destruction thereby.

Let this be a lesson in point that those who go to enquire from his prophets are liable to be lied to and deceived. 1Kings 22. The entire chapter. Jehoshaphat the king of Israel came to Judah to plan a war and of Course the first thing they will do is enquire from the prophets of yhwh. In a spirit of honest enquiry they approach yhwh's prophets.

12And all the prophets prophesied so and said, “Go up to Ramoth-gilead and triumph; the LORD will give it into the hand of the king.” ....

....19And Micaiah said, “Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing beside him on his right hand and on his left; 20and the LORD said, ‘Who will entice Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ And one said one thing, and another said another. 21Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying, ‘I will entice him.’ 22And the LORD said to him, ‘By what means?’ And he said, ‘I will go out, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And he said, ‘You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go out and do so.’ 23Now therefore behold, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; the LORD has declared disaster for you.”

A god that can use his prophets to lie and cause disaster. A god that can give commands to sacrifice your first child, again with the express purpose of causing disaster. Is this what you are following? Is this the pit that my beautiful African brothers and sisters have fallen into? And they deeper they go into yhwh worship the worse their lives become, until the whole country is devastated. This is a serious frying pan and a serious fire altogether.

lndeed 'the thief comes only to Steal Kill and Destroy. '

I wonder what jamesid29, NNTR, TenQ and company have to say about this episode of strategic deployment of falsehood.

I remember back in the day, was it Mazaje who created a thread called Yahweh and his lying angels.

https://www.nairaland.com/434436/yahweh-lying-angels
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 2:59pm On Feb 24, 2022
mazaje:

More of Yahweh's acts of deceit as recorded in the bible. . . .

JER 4:10 - Then I said, "Ah, Sovereign LORD, how completely you have deceived this people and Jerusalem by saying, 'You will have peace,' when the sword is at our throats."

JER 20:7 - O LORD, you deceived me, and I was deceived you overpowered me and prevailed. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me.

Its very clear that Yahweh has a penchant for sending lying spirits to people or deceiving people himself as recorded in the bible(Isaiah 37:7 and 2 Kings 19:7). The problem is if you read down in the book of Jeremiah you will see that Yahweh even acknowledge that he does evil and he apologized for the evil he did. . .

By the way what is it with Yahweh enticing people to send prophecies and then killing them at the same time. . .

EZ 14:9 - "'And if the prophet is enticed to utter a prophecy, I the LORD have enticed that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand against him and destroy him from among my people Israel.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2022
But really we don’t need to read the bible to see that nefarious nasty evil of this entity that claims to be the creator of the world.

Just look around wherever his adherents are. Look all over Nigeria and the world where the abrahamics prevail.
When we started to obsess on this abrahamic evils that was when the country started getting worse and worse.

When Roman Empire embraced it that was when Rome fell. For Western Europe to rise to where it is today they had to embrace humanism and scientific enquiry which the church viciously opposed.

This whole affair is so barbarous and nasty. Hateful deceitful narcissistic repulsive people are produced by following it.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by killyaselfie: 3:22pm On Feb 24, 2022
PastorAIO:
But really we don’t need to read the bible to see that nefarious nasty evil of this entity that claims to be the creator of the world.

Just look around wherever his adherents are. Look all over Nigeria and the world where the abrahamics prevail.
When we started to obsess on this abrahamic evils that was when the country started getting worse and worse.

When Roman Empire embraced it that was when Rome fell. For Western Europe to rise to where it is today they had to embrace humanism and scientific enquiry which the church viciously opposed.

This whole affair is so barbarous and nasty. Hateful deceitful narcissistic repulsive people are produced by following it.

Wherever you see the influence of the ignoble Abrahamic fictions, you see bigotry, ignorance, injustice, and self-righteous belief that they have the moral high ground. The present state of Israel even goes so far as to run an apartheid state with support of most christians.

It’s elevation of one group of people over others as the “chosen people” of a universal deity promotes prejudice. If you accept the ridiculous notion that these people are chosen then you imply that you are somehow inferior. In order for the Romans and the Catholic Church to really spread the religion in Europe, they had to create images based on these stories in the likeness of Europeans, so that when the European mercanitile class started using it as a tool of conquest, Europeans saw themselves as the chosen people and everyone else to be beneath them. This is thh by e foundation of “white supremacy” and we continue to see the harm it causes worldwide.

Africans and other people that came in contact with these European Christians were seen as inferior and their images did not make it into the description of the divine. Non-Europeans who continue to adhere to these religions are implying their own inferiority and such people will be mired in mediocrity because they can’t envision themselves as more. There as to be an extensive and comprehensive propaganda project to reverse the psychological damage already done.
https://upstanderproject.org/firstlight/doctrine
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 2:27pm On Feb 25, 2022
Isaiah 60
11Your gates shall be open continually;
day and night they shall not be shut,
that people may bring to you the wealth of the nations,
with their kings led in procession.
12 For the nation and kingdom
that will not serve you shall perish;
those nations shall be utterly laid waste

Isaiah 45
14Thus says the LORD:
“The wealth of Egypt and the merchandise of Cush,
and the Sabeans, men of stature,
shall come over to you and be yours;
they shall follow you;
they shall come over in chains and bow down to you.
They will plead with you, saying:
‘Surely God is in you, and there is no other,
no god besides him.’”

Now we are starting to get the agenda.

killyaselfie:

Wherever you see the influence of the ignoble Abrahamic fictions, you see bigotry, ignorance, injustice, and self-righteous belief that they have the moral high ground. The present state of Israel even goes so far as to run an apartheid state with support of most christians.

It’s elevation of one group of people over others as the “chosen people” of a universal deity promotes prejudice. If you accept the ridiculous notion that these people are chosen then you imply that you are somehow inferior. In order for the Romans and the Catholic Church to really spread the religion in Europe, they had to create images based on these stories in the likeness of Europeans, so that when the European mercanitile class started using it as a tool of conquest, Europeans saw themselves as the chosen people and everyone else to be beneath them. This is thh by e foundation of “white supremacy” and we continue to see the harm it causes worldwide.

Africans and other people that came in contact with these European Christians were seen as inferior and their images did not make it into the description of the divine. Non-Europeans who continue to adhere to these religions are implying their own inferiority and such people will be mired in mediocrity because they can’t envision themselves as more. There as to be an extensive and comprehensive propaganda project to reverse the psychological damage already done.
https://upstanderproject.org/firstlight/doctrine
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by PastorAIO: 5:09pm On Jun 26, 2022

Like I said, Ebo is often translated as sacrifice in English too, but when we look at all the contexts in which the word pops up we realise that a closer translation would just be A Nourishment, a feeding. As one can feed Ogun shrine so one can also feed a child. It would be odd to say in English that you've just given your Child a sacrifice when all you did was give him fried plantains.

jamesid29:

You're making the point we've all been trying to make to you sir. Almost every regular speaker of the Yoruba language, associates Ebo with the meaning [b]Ritual offering. I even did a google search of it and everywhere I looked(even in sites and papers focused on yoruba tradition or spirituality), I didn't see any where ebo meant anything other than ritual sacrifice. You're actually the first person I'm hearing a different meaning from. I am not disputing you're interpretation of ebo because[/b]
a) Critical Resources on yoruba spirituality and traditions are not easily accessible, so just because I couldn't find one anywhere that matches what you said after a couple searches doesn't automatically mean I should discard it
b) I do not know enough about the Yoruba conception of certain things in other to authoritatively negate your argument.

Now let's assume you are correct: Imagine you are faced with a text that say, Iya re fun l'ebo

A perfect riposte to the arguments of jamesid has just occurred to me. I wish I thought of it back then.

While I do not deny that all over the internet and in books Ębö is translated as sacrifice, and even people who should know better do so as well there is a passage of Ifa scripture that demonstrates that this is totally wrong.

In Ofun Okanran we are told about when Eledumare was creating the world and humans. 'He' went to consult Orunmila (first thing that will shock western minds, is that Yes Eledumare too consults. Of course christians can respond that yhwh too consults his hosts of heaven as described in the bible, but this fact jars with the notion of omniscience etc that christians have developed). Ifa advised 'him' that if 'he' wants a world where justice is a principle so that the strong do not oppress the weak then 'he' must make ębö. Eledumare heeded the advise and made the 'sacrifice'.

If Ębö is an act of worship then who is Eledumare worshipping in this context? The only entity in this world that has no need of Ębö is Eledumare himself. Every creature needs ębö for sustenance and to facilitate it's life. It is ultimately Eledumare that 'Bö-s' the whole of creation.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gfi2DwAAQBAJ&pg=PT814&lpg=PT814&dq=Olodumare+makes+ebo&source=bl&ots=gO5yQQWnQw&sig=ACfU3U2Ra_D1lfPbBJs2Oe9ZFa2Jn4CKrg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiun_e3ucv4AhXMNcAKHUb2CIgQ6AF6BAggEAM#v=onepage&q=Olodumare%20makes%20ebo&f=false

Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by LordReed(m): 7:55pm On Jun 26, 2022
DeepSight:

I wonder what jamesid29, NNTR, TenQ and company have to say about this episode of strategic deployment of falsehood.

I remember back in the day, was it Mazaje who created a thread called Yahweh and his lying angels.

https://www.nairaland.com/434436/yahweh-lying-angels

My guess is they bring up freewill or something like it.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by Image123(m): 8:21pm On Jun 26, 2022
LordReed:

My guess is they bring up freewill or something like it.

Understanding.
Re: Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? by LordReed(m): 7:31am On Jun 27, 2022
Image123:

Understanding.

Understanding what?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A World Without Religion...better Or Not? / Will We Experience Time In Heaven? / Amazing Testimony Of Heaven, Hell And Todays Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.