Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria (29745 Views)

A Kidney Now Costs $262,000; Heart, $119,000, UN Warns Nigerians / Uber Driver That Carried The Italian Coronavirus Patient In Nigeria Speaks / Kidney Failure: Patient’s Mother Greedy, Took N3.9m, Says NGO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by OBALOLA55(m): 2:26pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:
Glory be to GOD Almighty! I received intensive care and treatment at LUTH and I was placed on hemodialysis and given several blood transfusion and later was placed on blood boosting medication. Last time I had dialysis was in March 2016 and I have been freed from dialysis and I am now able to do things that I love doing and also resumed back to work before the end of that same year. Initially i lost hopes and I thought that I was going to die simply because my case was very severe and my blood pressure was very high, blood sugar levels was low, creatinine level was very high, BUN (blood urea Nitrogen) level was very high, PCV ( Percentage of Cell Volume) was extremely low, but Thank GOD for my life today. I didn't do a transplant but I took caution, i listened to the health workers, i avoid some certain foods, i adopted a new lifestyle, i do adequate medical check-up, takes my medication accordingly and completely avoid self medication.
THANK GOD FOR YOUR LIFE BRO. SO WHAT KINDA FOOD DO YOU EAT NOW HOPE YOU STAY AWAY FROM SUGARY FOOD AND ALCOHOLIC DRINKS

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Thryphosa(m): 2:28pm On Feb 26, 2022
This is a good thread and an eye opener to young ones. May God continue to uphold you.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Benjaniblinks(m): 2:30pm On Feb 26, 2022
cry
Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by FireUpNow(m): 2:32pm On Feb 26, 2022
Mrkumareze:
Lucky you, a colleague just survived it for the second time. Alcohol is the first suspect shocked we really get to be careful of what we ear dis days
Don't leave out diabetes, high blood pressure and consumption of local herbal mixture as well as abuse of pain killers drugs and bleaching creams. Lucky him.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by HardMirror(m): 2:36pm On Feb 26, 2022
SWATMan:

May the Lord shine his countenance upon you and heal you from this sickness in Jesus name!
they have come with their useless prayers again. Smh

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by naija1stnigar(m): 2:37pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:
As at today 8th of February 2022, It has been about 6years that I was diagnosed with stage 3 Acute kidney disease.

I begin to feel sick in January 2016 with symptoms of malaria and begin treating my malaria via self medication and later having fever with a very high body temperature.

I couldn't eat, i was very weak and I can't do anything but only to lay on the bed. I couldn't sleep during the day and at night and still doing self medication because of lack of money.

My sickness continues for some days and was still taking over the counter drugs until a bad day when I fainted and later get up and asked my neighbor to take me to a pharmacy to buy drug again but I was rejected and was advised to go to the hospital.

I was admitted at private hospital where a blood transfusion and some other treatment was given to me and I was discharged from the hospital 4days. I was at home taking the drugs given to me at the hospital and seems to be getting better but after some days, my health begins getting worse.

At this time i couldn't eat and I will throw up if I try putting anything in my mouth and drinking water was the only thing. Lost of appetite, fatigue and heartburn was on the high side and I have to go back to the hospital to put up my complains which I did and I was given some drugs (for heartburn and sleeping pills) to treat my illness.

Haven taken the drugs for few days and I begin going to the toilet several times a day but having difficulty to defecate and urinate. My stool was dark and my urine was little and very dark too.

This continues for some days until I begin to observe that I'm swelling. My stomach was protruding, my face and legs were swollen, i couldn't sleep at night and always having difficulty in breathing and was more severe at night.

I went to another private hospital and i was referred to Luth (Lagos State University Teaching Hospital) immediately after a test result shows that my PCV was at 10%. I was admitted in LUTH and several test were done and at that time my PCV had increased to 12% after taking malt and milk to replenish and gain some strength.

Sadly on the next day, I was diagnosed with kidney failure (Acute Kidney Disease) with stage 3 GFR and Chronic anaemia.
the God that delivered me from liver disease with his miraculous hands will do it for you, just believe and remind him of his promises in Luke 1:37 and also John 14:14 your testimony is sure.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Afodot0022(m): 2:37pm On Feb 26, 2022
Pls what simple medical test can one do to ascertain if the kidney is in good condition

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by exnovio(m): 2:54pm On Feb 26, 2022
To God be the glory.. Our God is so great.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Gamesmart: 2:55pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:
Glory be to GOD Almighty! I received intensive care and treatment at LUTH and I was placed on hemodialysis and given several blood transfusion and later was placed on blood boosting medication. Last time I had dialysis was in March 2016 and I have been freed from dialysis and I am now able to do things that I love doing and also resumed back to work before the end of that same year. Initially i lost hopes and I thought that I was going to die simply because my case was very severe and my blood pressure was very high, blood sugar levels was low, creatinine level was very high, BUN (blood urea Nitrogen) level was very high, PCV ( Percentage of Cell Volume) was extremely low, but Thank GOD for my life today. I didn't do a transplant but I took caution, i listened to the health workers, i avoid some certain foods, i adopted a new lifestyle, i do adequate medical check-up, takes my medication accordingly and completely avoid self medication.

Don't thank God.

Thank science and just a little beat of efficiency and expertise that we see in Nigeria (most of the time it is in our healthcare sector).

They saved your life!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by iguita: 2:57pm On Feb 26, 2022
I feel so happy and refreshed reading your testimony. I think medical personnel should mention cases where people survive these 'terminal diseases' that are terminal because of our perception of local healthcare and lack of funds.

Our insurance system also need to be revamped. I don't think there is any insurance scheme that pays for these terminal diseases

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Channel54: 3:00pm On Feb 26, 2022
Afodot0022:
Pls what simple medical test can one do to ascertain if the kidney is in good condition

Renal function test (RFT),they will check your creatine level and or GFR

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Bash92(m): 3:00pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:

Can you tell us the foods you avoided?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 3:00pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:
As at today 8th of February 2022, It has been about 6years that I was diagnosed with stage 3 Acute kidney disease.

I begin to feel sick in January 2016 with symptoms of malaria and begin treating my malaria via self medication and later having fever with a very high body temperature.

I couldn't eat, i was very weak and I can't do anything but only to lay on the bed. I couldn't sleep during the day and at night and still doing self medication because of lack of money.

My sickness continues for some days and was still taking over the counter drugs until a bad day when I fainted and later get up and asked my neighbor to take me to a pharmacy to buy drug again but I was rejected and was advised to go to the hospital.

I was admitted at private hospital where a blood transfusion and some other treatment was given to me and I was discharged from the hospital 4days. I was at home taking the drugs given to me at the hospital and seems to be getting better but after some days, my health begins getting worse.

At this time i couldn't eat and I will throw up if I try putting anything in my mouth and drinking water was the only thing. Lost of appetite, fatigue and heartburn was on the high side and I have to go back to the hospital to put up my complains which I did and I was given some drugs (for heartburn and sleeping pills) to treat my illness.

Haven taken the drugs for few days and I begin going to the toilet several times a day but having difficulty to defecate and urinate. My stool was dark and my urine was little and very dark too.

This continues for some days until I begin to observe that I'm swelling. My stomach was protruding, my face and legs were swollen, i couldn't sleep at night and always having difficulty in breathing and was more severe at night.

I went to another private hospital and i was referred to Luth (Lagos State University Teaching Hospital) immediately after a test result shows that my PCV was at 10%. I was admitted in LUTH and several test were done and at that time my PCV had increased to 12% after taking malt and milk to replenish and gain some strength.

Sadly on the next day, I was diagnosed with kidney failure (Acute Kidney Disease) with stage 3 GFR and Chronic anaemia.
/
Severe dehydration can trigger acute kidney injury with low GFR. Water is very important.

/

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Meel: 3:04pm On Feb 26, 2022
Afodot0022:

Simple test is Urinalysis.

But encapsulating is Renal Function Test.

Urine analysis: To test for the presence of abnormal constituents of urine.

Blood Test ( Electrolyte, Urea and Creatinine): This answers the questions like is the kidney filtering the necessary waste products, level of hydration, acidity.

Clearance: The glomerular (Kidney)Filtration rate. You make use of urine samples for extrapilating this.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by ariesbull: 3:07pm On Feb 26, 2022
LIVINGICON:
Quite an enlightening piece.
The ways young people are coming down with end stage renal failure is rather too alarmingly, no thanks to their unhealthy lifestyle. When you tell them you don't drink alcohol, they see you as weird. At the end na their liver and kidneys go still feel am. angry

Alcohol is even better... These kids take codeine one bottle, rephnol, trammadol all to get high

These are drug overdose

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Dialpad: 3:16pm On Feb 26, 2022
Thank God you are fine now... can you share what kind of food you avoided.... this could help someone out there ...

hismylolo:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by scully95: 3:16pm On Feb 26, 2022
This is why you should always drink a lot of water during the day. Water (in litres) to drink a day = Your Weight (in Kg) multiplied by 0.033.

If you are 100kg.. It means you must drink 100*0.033= 3.3Litres of water per day.

A must.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Stanleyuwamelue: 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2022
Subject highly informative.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by adecz: 3:22pm On Feb 26, 2022
PCB means Packed Cell Volume.

It is a test or procedure used to
estimate your level of RBC in relation
to the blood volume.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by olaodun: 3:25pm On Feb 26, 2022
Thank God for you and as you have gotten experience be conscious of what you eat and your lifestyle however I think Redeem has free treatment for people having similar challenges pls find out

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by BennyDGreat: 3:29pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:

Pls share the food you avoided. People need to be educated about these things

1 Like

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by walemoney007(m): 3:30pm On Feb 26, 2022
ire803386:
I thank God for your life, as your story just inspired me now, my brother is in luthat the moment battling the same thing
I pray your brother will survive this ordeal by God grace.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by bigjackass: 3:32pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:
what were the lifestyle changes you adopted?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by heykims(m): 3:33pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:

I thank God for ur life. However u are being managed for chronic kidney disease CKD and not acute kidney injury if your renal function test is still not optimal.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by Bestiee01(f): 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:

Oga,pls can I have ur digits or wasap me 0.818711311.2.i think I have it but am afraid of going for check up.i want to ask you something

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria by pinkygurl(f): 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2022
hismylolo:

Stay strong!
Sending love and light

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Strange Disease Kills 50 People In Kogi State / Recent Photos Of Man With Butt Implants / Kano Moves To Unravel Cause Of Mass Deaths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.