Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,664 members, 7,801,919 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm (39323 Views)

My Friends Funny Interview Experience / 4 Things You Need To Work For A Foreign Firm Remotely From Nigeria / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by kingphilip(m): 4:36am On Feb 11, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
I remember my own first experience with a foreign firm on Zoom.

I had to study Brighter Grammar to sharpen my English. I did a lot more other things. I even did rehearsals, studied the job description, downloaded videos on YouTube.

On D Day when I found myself on the hot seat, I became a stammerer. Ordinary to say hello back to the interviewer, I was just stammering all over the place like a fool. I was like "em...you see...hope you get." The Oyinbo man was just looking at me as if I were an alien from Mars. Next thing, the blunders started flowing. These were blunders which under normal circumstances I would never make. Anyways, at a point, I was so helpless that I laughed. The Oyinbo's expression was like, "What the damn is funny, you fool!"

Since then, I have developed a phobia for interviews with foreign firms.
Over preparation really causes fear bro.

There is only two outcomes either you get the job or you don't.

If you put that in mind while going for or being interviewed online, you'll surely have peace and answer the questions to the best of your knowledge.

Just like the op said, 30 minutes to the interview, he was still watching a football match.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Fapemz: 4:42am On Feb 11, 2022
Thanks for sharing, this makes for a good read and your story telling is topnotch! I provide power solutions to a lot of IT brains in 9ja. We have something that suits Everyone and hope you can give our range of lithium power solution the chance to put power holders to shame on your end someday soon. We are reachable on 0806.53..16307

300wh that can power your laptop for about 10 hours for 55k

480wh, can power pc for more 18hours for 80k

1260wh, can power your pc for 3 days on a single charge, 200k

We also supply them all with intelligent lithium charger that shows red light when charging and green when full as well as laptop connector with multiplug pins

Supreme145:
After sending loads of applications for remote web dev positions throughout December without success I stopped applying and went into blockchain development. Last week I was replying a message on my LinkedIn account when I saw this jnr WordPress developer vacancy that popped up. I just applied since it takes less than a minute to do so on LinkedIn.

I was surprised when they sent me a mail two days later with a link to an assessment which I took and submitted. They got back to me some days later to fix an interview date, I choose Feb 9 among the listed options. The time options included 7pm, 7:15pm and 7:30pm and I chose the 1st option. The interview was supposed to last for just 15 minutes.

I left Chelsea's match that I was watching at half time to prepare for my interview. I asked one of my Nairaland friends for data and he sent me 3gb, I was all set up by 6:44 pm with a Bluetooth that I borrowed from a friend for the occasion. I didn't want any stories. If only I knew what was lying in wait for me....6:52 pm.....Boom!!! NEPA took light.

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben Johnson. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I got there by 6:59 pm, plugged my stuffs and connected to the zoom call by 7: 02 pm, the beautiful oyinbo woman was already waiting. While she was in a well lit apartment, I was in a place with red and blue bulbs with my face barely visible even though I supported the light with my phone torch light flashing straight to my face.

She smiled immediately I came online, and murmured something, omo the Bluetooth was not connected o. Something I tested before connecting to the call, I was fumbling with my Bluetooth settings while she kept talking and gesticulating if I could hear her. The Bluetooth was connected to the system but was somehow not working, she saved me from my misery when she suggested we port to google meet for the interview.

I used the opportunity to check my Bluetooth settings well and connected to the call through a link she sent to my mail almost immediately. In the middle of the interview the restaurant gen went off throwing everywhere into darkness.... Omo!!!

I had to keep shining teeth and stretching my small eyes to its elastic limit because they were the only visible things from my end. She burst into laughter and I couldn't help but join her. It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell. I apologized and she told me not to worry that she understands amidst another bout of laughter that she was struggling to contain.

She shaa finished the interview with the normal I will get back to you after accessing the performance of other candidates, I still apologized for my interview settings hoping it won't affect my chances, she assured me that it won't have any bearing on her decision making as regards to selection of the successful candidate. She couldn't stop smiling throughout the interview that lasted for like 20 mins.

I packed my kaya and went home. I laughed my heart out while I narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. The image of my eyes and teeth in darkness was so hilarious. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

Have you experienced something similar?? Please share for the fun

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Bluntemperor: 5:17am On Feb 11, 2022
Lessonteacher:
What an experience!

Mr Supreme,you are likely to be chosen or get another ( 2nd interview),if the firm is to pick the righful applicants!
You know what,you have left an impression that will be with the white woman ( Oyinbo) for a long time that they would like to know the real you!
The Oyinbo knows something about Nigeria- no light,no water,no good roads etc and she was just imagining how true this could be!
Congratulations ahead.
I wish you well.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by omolayomi06: 5:29am On Feb 11, 2022
Avast:

Those people praying above that you will get the job are hypocrites......If they are the owner of the company or the interviewer can they give you the job.

What you need to carry out the job is electricity and they have noticed that on the day one.

You will surely get the job if they decided to give but not everything is about prayers.

Boss please don't relent as tensazangetsu20 has said. I pray that you get a job that will favour you. Amen
you criticized prayer come end your comments with prayer..God have mercy.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nwachi22(f): 6:09am On Feb 11, 2022
Supreme145:
After sending loads of applications for remote web dev positions throughout December without success I stopped applying and went into blockchain development. Last week I was replying a message on my LinkedIn account when I saw this jnr WordPress developer vacancy that popped up. I just applied since it takes less than a minute to do so on LinkedIn.

I was surprised when they sent me a mail two days later with a link to an assessment which I took and submitted. They got back to me some days later to fix an interview date, I choose Feb 9 among the listed options. The time options included 7pm, 7:15pm and 7:30pm and I chose the 1st option. The interview was supposed to last for just 15 minutes.

I left Chelsea's match that I was watching at half time to prepare for my interview. I asked one of my Nairaland friends for data and he sent me 3gb, I was all set up by 6:44 pm with a Bluetooth that I borrowed from a friend for the occasion. I didn't want any stories. If only I knew what was lying in wait for me....6:52 pm.....Boom!!! NEPA took light.

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben Johnson. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I got there by 6:59 pm, plugged my stuffs and connected to the zoom call by 7: 02 pm, the beautiful oyinbo woman was already waiting. While she was in a well lit apartment, I was in a place with red and blue bulbs with my face barely visible even though I supported the light with my phone torch light flashing straight to my face.

She smiled immediately I came online, and murmured something, omo the Bluetooth was not connected o. Something I tested before connecting to the call, I was fumbling with my Bluetooth settings while she kept talking and gesticulating if I could hear her. The Bluetooth was connected to the system but was somehow not working, she saved me from my misery when she suggested we port to google meet for the interview.

I used the opportunity to check my Bluetooth settings well and connected to the call through a link she sent to my mail almost immediately. In the middle of the interview the restaurant gen went off throwing everywhere into darkness.... Omo!!!

I had to keep shining teeth and stretching my small eyes to its elastic limit because they were the only visible things from my end. She burst into laughter and I couldn't help but join her. It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell. I apologized and she told me not to worry that she understands amidst another bout of laughter that she was struggling to contain.

She shaa finished the interview with the normal I will get back to you after accessing the performance of other candidates, I still apologized for my interview settings hoping it won't affect my chances, she assured me that it won't have any bearing on her decision making as regards to selection of the successful candidate. She couldn't stop smiling throughout the interview that lasted for like 20 mins.

I packed my kaya and went home. I laughed my heart out while I narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. The image of my eyes and teeth in darkness was so hilarious. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

Op, update us once you get the offer.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 11, 2022
fastseo:

Solar battery is different from inverter.
Inverter are used to charge the battery and convert current from one form to another.

The battery is where current are stored.

Solar panels are the ones u hang outside to receive sunlight to charge the battery through the inverter

Note: u should get the battery and inverter... Its a must this two must be present for it to work.

You could get the panel if u want to charge from sun light but i do charge from electricity so i dont have the panel now.

Below is an inverter.

I know. I just wanted to be sure which you use as some people refer to inverter as solar too. Thanks.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by ProfAmaben(m): 7:25am On Feb 11, 2022
uzoexcel:

RF is the network access aspect of telecoms... Short for radio frequency (2G 3G 4G 5G tech fall under RF)
My bad, I saw the words Sprint (which is an American telecoms firm) and planning, which is an aspect of RF engineering and so misinterpreted your comment.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Sprint-RF-Engineer

Okay, Sprint planning is when Software engineers and their Project Manager plan on how to tackle tasks on the board. Unfinished ones are moved to backlog while fresh ones are moved to new sprints. It's agile methodology.

4 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:41am On Feb 11, 2022
Supreme145:

You just demonstrated the usual careless/carefree attitude that characterizes the life of an average Nigerian.

What happened to your generator?
What happened to servicing and fueling it far before this very important interview time, knowing the country's power is unreliable?
Abi, you no get generator and you wan go do online job

This shouldn't be a funny event!
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:44am On Feb 11, 2022
Nwachi22:

Op, update us once you get the offer.

Which offer?
Who will employ a careless/unserious worker/employee?
Una think say abroad na Nigeria?
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by fastseo: 8:19am On Feb 11, 2022
nenyewrites:

I know. I just wanted to be sure which you use as some people refer to inverter as solar too. Thanks.
Inverter and solar battery are different things but the two must woke together

When u are buying the battery buy also the inverter and tell them u want the one that can charge your battery and also supply current.. Dual purpose. By this u wont go and buy charger again

The inverter convert the direct current in ur battery to alternate current so that ur appliances can make use of them.

You connect ur inverter to ur battery and connect or plug ur extension wire to the inverter to provide power to ur tv, radio, phones etc
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Blackdisciple(m): 8:23am On Feb 11, 2022
Well hopefully you will get the job
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by armadeo(m): 8:29am On Feb 11, 2022
This was hilarious. I laughed and laughed.

What made it funnier was the first to comment was otipoju.

Looool
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by uzoexcel(m): 9:50am On Feb 11, 2022
ProfAmaben:

Okay, Sprint planning is when Software engineers and their Project Manager plan on how to tackle tasks on the board. Unfinished ones are moved to backlog while fresh ones are moved to new sprints. It's agile methodology.
Gracias

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nobody: 10:30am On Feb 11, 2022
fastseo:

Inverter and solar battery are different things but the two must woke together

When u are buying the battery buy also the inverter and tell them u want the one that can charge your battery and also supply current.. Dual purpose. By this u wont go and buy charger again

The inverter convert the direct current in ur battery to alternate current so that ur appliances can make use of them.

You connect ur inverter to ur battery and connect or plug ur extension wire to the inverter to provide power to ur tv, radio, phones etc

So, the best option is to buy both solar and inverter?
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by TheManOfTheYear: 11:16am On Feb 11, 2022
Tochukwu30:
Bro your story is quite funny ���. I have been laughing all through. E be like say devil just remember you that day.

I had a similar experience recently. I was suppose to have a zoom call for a Ruby on Rails position. The call was to finalise a few details about the role. The issue I had was with Internet connection. I use airtel's mifi. Just exactly the time for the call, my Internet connection went bad. OMG I was sweating profusely because the person I was suppose to have the call with keeps to time.

Quickly, I had to subscribe for 1gb data on my mtn yet it was still unstable. Thankfully, we were just able to have the call with a few network glitches here and there. In the end I had to apologise for the inconveniences experienced.

This just goes to show you what developers in Nigeria go through and it also speaks volume of our resilience and persistence to keep going irrespective of the challenges we encounter.

Having a good solar system will help with power supply challenges. With regards to Internet connection, just subscribe to different networks.

I hope you land the gig.

Did you land the gig bro?
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by fastseo: 11:22am On Feb 11, 2022
nenyewrites:

So, the best option is to buy both solar and inverter?

Yes, inverter and battery is necessary (u will recharge by nepa or gen) .
Then u can upgrade by buying the panel to get ur battery changed via sunlight

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by richiepolymer(m): 11:44am On Feb 11, 2022
Supreme145:

LWKMD cheesy
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 11, 2022
fastseo:

Oh ok, thanks for the detailed explanation.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by TheManOfTheYear: 11:50am On Feb 11, 2022
WIREMIND:
Very very funny adventure.

This could have saved you.
Lol
What is this bro?
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by TheManOfTheYear: 11:58am On Feb 11, 2022
raymondhillmimi:
Been there before, that is why I advise developers to switch to Macbooks. They are just very reliable even though expensive. If you use a macbook you can trust the battery to last you at least 5 hours on heavy usage or 6-8 hours of light use.

When I take zoom calls with my clients I don't bother if there is light or not. I position my desk close to the Window. I know you are just starting out but when you start getting gigs invest in a better laptop.
Person wey dey find work, you dey tell am to switch to MacBook grin
But you do have a point, the MacBook M1 Battery lasts straight 12 hours on heavy usage
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by TheManOfTheYear: 12:29pm On Feb 11, 2022
ProfAmaben:

Please what is stand-up
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by justmondris: 1:29pm On Feb 11, 2022
Joelobioha:
this one na real touched by the hand of God..saved at the last breath

That moment when God decided to remember the prayers of your parents
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by justmondris: 1:30pm On Feb 11, 2022
Joelobioha:
this one na real touched by the hand of God..saved at the last breath

That moment when God decided to remember the prayers of ur parents
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by kingphilip(m): 3:50pm On Feb 11, 2022
fastseo:

How much is the basic of this that can power one bulb, a fan and for charging phones and a laptop?
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by ProfAmaben(m): 6:08pm On Feb 11, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Please what is stand-up

Stand up is a quick meeting (15mins) max where software engineers discuss the progress of a sprint. It usually holds twice a week and is based on the discretion of the PM.

Typical stand up:

Product manager: Hey Engr.1, what are you currently working on?

Engr.1: I'm working on the sorting feature for the company page. I'm having a blocker from the backend team and no API has been provided for categorization selection.

Team Lead: Engr.1, did you contact me regarding this delay?

Backend Team: Sorry to cut you, Engr.1 actually reached out, we apologize for the delay but it would be ready before close of work today.

PM: Engr.2, I can see your tasks are still on Todo, what have you been working on?

This is a typical stand up grin
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by TheManOfTheYear: 10:31pm On Feb 11, 2022
ProfAmaben:

Stand up is a quick meeting (15mins) max where software engineers discuss the progress of a sprint. It usually holds twice a week and is based on the discretion of the PM.

Typical stand up:

Product manager: Hey Engr.1, what are you currently working on?

Engr.1: I'm working on the sorting feature for the company page. I'm having a blocker from the backend team and no API has been provided for categorization selection.

Team Lead: Engr.1, did you contact me regarding this delay?

Backend Team: Sorry to cut you, Engr.1 actually reached out, we apologize for the delay but it would be ready before close of work today.

PM: Engr.2, I can see your tasks are still on Todo, what have you been working on?

This is a typical stand up grin
Wow, thank you for this real life breakdown cheesy
Exactly how I needed to hear it. Thanks man
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Billmah: 11:53pm On Feb 11, 2022
Next time, get one of those table clamp ring lights, it will save u the stress...
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by ProfAmaben(m): 5:48am On Feb 12, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Wow, thank you for this real life breakdown cheesy
Exactly how I needed to hear it. Thanks man

You're welcome smiley
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Tochukwu30(m): 9:21pm On Feb 12, 2022
Yeah bro.

TheManOfTheYear:
Did you land the gig bro?
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Meel: 7:39pm On Feb 14, 2022
[quote author=techgen post=110108212]My own interview experience was with a scholarship board in Australia...na so empty hen take almost cast me...them NEPA come take light...na so I move pass jet go on gen.
The Australian Lady just they smile look me...she come pity me rescheduled the appointment, on the set day again, empty hen start their now fluctuations.... Na ones I tell her say, this na one of the problem....I won solve, that's why I needed the scholarship and like this na me dey in the best condition to liberate my local fellows..na once, she say exactly.
At that moment, I know say the scholarship don set.
I later got the scholarship... But because of Coro dey block boarder....I nor fit honor the scholarship till date...but God know why.
The lesson I learn na to take advantage of every setback.
Goodluck OP. [/q

Sorry about the setback.

I would love to inquire about the Australia scholarship.

Thanks
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 6:24pm On Feb 23, 2022
UPDATE!!!

Two weeks have gone by since my eventful interview, and I have not gotten a response from the company. It's, therefore, safe to assume that the ship has sailed considering that HR said she would get back to the successful candidate after a couple of days. Just had to drop the update because a lot of people asked me to keep them abreast of any development concerning the job.

Modified: I got the confirmation mail that they have moved ahead with another candidate.

I appreciate everyone for the kind words and encouragement, hopefully, I will get a better job in the future and I will sure update you guys.
Thanks.

otipoju
donproject2
extremophile
kaleidoscope
zordgrub
themostcomplex1
ltherman
nwachi22

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 24, 2022
Supreme145:
UPDATE!!!

Two weeks have gone by since my eventful interview, and I have not gotten a response from the company. It's, therefore, safe to assume that the ship has sailed considering that HR said she would get back to the successful candidate after a couple of days. Just had to drop the update because a lot of people asked me to keep them abreast of any development concerning the job.

I appreciate everyone for the kind words and encouragement, hopefully, I will get a better job in the future and I will sure update you guys.
Thanks.

otipoju
donproject2
extremophile
kaleidoscope
zordgrub
themostcomplex1
ltherman
nwachi22

Wow. It's unlike most westerners.
After two weeks you are very justified to ask them how far with your application status.
Send them a mail, a kind reminder telling them you're still looking forward to their response.
Also state that you would be willing to provide more information, or make clarifications as they may require, or take additional assessments.... Anyone that you think applies on this case. Just in case they want to give you another shot before deciding... A possibility.

Some may place your application on hold till they're through with other candidates, and then make a decision. But if you don't hear anything from them a week after your email reminder, they don ghost you be that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Graduate Trainee At Diamond Bank Plc / You Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen And Flesh - @mufclatestnews Blasts Guy / Test Venues For 2014 NNPC Recruitment Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.