Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? (39780 Views)

About 99.4% Of Bank Accounts Contain Less Than N500,000 - NDIC / Obinna Ukwuani Appointed Chief Digital Officer Of Bank Of Kigali / The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Olam09(m): 2:26pm On Feb 11, 2022
TeamLeader:
Please I need some education here. Dey con de charge me around 11pm. De tink say I go don sleep.

Abeg help me out

Sms fee for first one, then the second one is about using ussd code in buying data or airtime from your bank account. Hope you gerrit now?

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by JayPeeOham: 2:26pm On Feb 11, 2022
TeamLeader:
Please I need some education here. Dey con de charge me around 11pm. De tink say I go don sleep.

Abeg help me out

Available bal: NGN958,007.56

True or True? tongue grin
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by SweetDipBenny(m): 2:26pm On Feb 11, 2022
Y u come hide ur balance na grin we dunno u
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Feb 11, 2022
Koleb:
stop using USSD. Get a mobile banking app
Is it #288 that ussd charges?
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by yuping(m): 2:27pm On Feb 11, 2022
undecidedhmmm Nkanbe for Nigeria, central bank cancel card maintenance and they begin charge for USSD this Nigeria Na scam.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Smartgeek(m): 2:27pm On Feb 11, 2022
Olam09:

Sms fee
Wrong.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by JayPeeOham: 2:28pm On Feb 11, 2022
[quote author=TeamLeader post=110128049]Please I need some educa

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by JayPeeOham: 2:28pm On Feb 11, 2022

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by bleskid: 2:29pm On Feb 11, 2022
stop covering your bank balance , u no get shishi
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Acecube(m): 2:29pm On Feb 11, 2022
fotadmowmend:
Na your balance i wan see first
9 million or 9k
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Feb 11, 2022
That KIND of Bank Charges grin grin grin
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Acecube(m): 2:30pm On Feb 11, 2022
Revolution2022:
Is it #288 that ussd charges?
accumulated for the month of January
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by biroo: 2:31pm On Feb 11, 2022
Na so these banks go dey comot your money small small without you knowing.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Olam09(m): 2:32pm On Feb 11, 2022
Smartgeek:
Wrong.

Very correct bro.. i mean debit/credit alert sms fee for the whole of January. Then the second one which is 23 or 25 naira is about the OP using ussd code to buy data/airtime from his bank account. Only person wey get 5,000 naira for account no fit understand this.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 11, 2022
Acecube:
accumulated for the month of January
Ussd doesn't accumulate charges.Every transaction is deducted instantly.A message will be sent to the customer before he/she proceed.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by EaglesT(m): 2:37pm On Feb 11, 2022
There’s this notification you get each time you want to use the USSD code for any transaction asking you to press 1 if you agree to a #6+ (Six Naira Plus) charge. For each time you press yes, they deduct #6 I guess.

2 Likes

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Numerouno94(m): 2:37pm On Feb 11, 2022
They even sent u a message. They don't send mine, I only see it in my mail.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Olam09(m): 2:38pm On Feb 11, 2022
Revolution2022:
Ussd doesn't accumulate charges.Every transaction is deducted instantly.A message will be sent to the customer before he/she proceed.

Olodo, at the end of the month banks do charge people who does transaction regularly with ussd code accumulated fees for credit/debit alert sms.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Smartgeek(m): 2:38pm On Feb 11, 2022
TeamLeader:

Abeg help me out

This charge is the USSD session charged borne by customers that use their bank's USSD service and to be Remitted to Telcos (MTN, AIRTEL GLO OR 9MOBILE) depending on what network the customer's line belongs to.

The USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) is a Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) protocol that is used to send text messages. USSD is similar to Short Message Service (SMS). ... This means USSD enables two-way communication of information, as long as the communication line stays open.

An integration is done between banks and Telcos to host their banking services using the USSD platform hence, the need for telcos to charge N6.98 for each session (max 120 seconds) used by bank customers already enrolled on their ussd short code service to access financial services.

The cost was formerly borne by customers using their airtime to dial USSD codes and carry out banking functions, then later borne by banks, until last year when some Banks failed to remit session fees to Telcos leading to a rift between banks and MNOs.

It took the intervention of CBN and NCC for an agreement to be reached, giving birth to charging customers an agreed fee of N6.98 per session for onward remittance to the telcos.

Most banks have switched to the automated session fee service where customers are automatically debited N6.98 as soon as their bank's session code is dialed. Some banks debit the lump sum once a month while some allow the system debit instantaneously.

The USSD is popular with bank customers that use feature phones since they cannot use the bank apps. However, due to the convenience of the USSD service for banking activities, even people with smartphones have been endeared to using their banks' short strings.

For you to be charged this fee, you had already consented to being charged (see screenshot) for each session (120secs max) per time.

I hope this clarifies things.

3 Likes

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Googledotcom: 2:42pm On Feb 11, 2022
EaglesT:
There’s this notification you get each time you want to use the USSD code for any transaction asking you to press 1 if you agree to a #6+ (Six Naira Plus) charge. For each time you press yes, they deduct #6 I guess.
You really pay attention to details, thumbs up.
Nigerians don't care about details. They just come online and start crying when in the real sense, ignorance is their problem.

2 Likes

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Onyeziokwu(m): 2:42pm On Feb 11, 2022
Koleb:
stop using USSD. Get a mobile banking app

Mobile banking app ke? Leave GTB and their inappropriate charges.

Used mobile app yesterday for a transaction and got charged twice. First #50 and secondly #5, for same transaction o! Mind you, it's been like this for 2yr plus tbh
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by 8stargeneral: 2:43pm On Feb 11, 2022
When we dey small dem dey tell us say if u put ur money in d bank en go dey increase every month...but now reverse is d case.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Smartgeek(m): 2:43pm On Feb 11, 2022
Olam09:

Very correct bro.. i mean debit/credit alert sms fee for the whole of January. Then the second one which is 23 or 25 naira is about the OP using ussd code to buy data/airtime from his bank account. Only person wey get 5,000 naira for account no fit understand this.
Read my comprehensive write up dropped some minutes ago.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by crismark(m): 2:44pm On Feb 11, 2022
Very soon I would switch to kuda bank permanently.
Fidelity bank worse pass this one

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by 8stargeneral: 2:46pm On Feb 11, 2022
When we dey small dem dey tell us say if u put ur money in d bank en go dey increase...but now reverse is d case.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 11, 2022
Olam09:

Olodo, at the end of the month banks do charge people who does transaction regularly with ussd code accumulated fees for credit/debit alert sms.
Na lie.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by itubaba001: 2:46pm On Feb 11, 2022
wynerbabe:
Bought #400 MTN recharge through ussd from my UBA account and I have been debited since yesterday but MTN refused to send me the units till now.May be ussd is beginning to be an issue because this is the first time I am having this issue with ussd.
You better burst into that yahoo yahoo bank called uba . Fraudulent and obsolete banking systems .. I can bet u the issue is from that useless una .
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by stanisbaratheon: 2:48pm On Feb 11, 2022
very any how country. customers dont get any protection from business owners.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Odidigboigbo(m): 2:52pm On Feb 11, 2022
Revolution2022:
Money plenty for your aza.
Our money is not safe from hackers and bank management.Just leave #200 for your account for a month you won't find it there.You will be asking yourself
"What does this bank charge me for because I didn't carryout any transaction for a month?
GTBank debit me to the point that I started owning them.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 11, 2022
Odidigboigbo:
GTBank debit me to the point that I started owning them.
The bank does it to me as well.
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 11, 2022
Onyeziokwu:

Mobile banking app ke? Leave GTB and their inappropriate charges.

Used mobile app yesterday for a transaction and got charged twice. First #50 and secondly #5, for same transaction o! Mind you, it's been like this for 2yr plus tbh
CBN has told banks to stop unnecessary debit from customers account.Why are the banks not heeding to CBN's directive?
Re: What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? by stanisbaratheon: 3:11pm On Feb 11, 2022
Smartgeek:
This charge is the USSD session charged borne by customers that use their bank's USSD service and to be Remitted to Telcos (MTN, AIRTEL GLO OR 9MOBILE) depending on what network the customer's line belongs to.

The USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) is a Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) protocol that is used to send text messages. USSD is similar to Short Message Service (SMS). ... This means USSD enables two-way communication of information, as long as the communication line stays open.

An integration is done between banks and Telcos to host their banking services using the USSD platform hence, the need for telcos to charge N6.98 for each session (max 120 seconds) used by bank customers already enrolled on their ussd short code service to access financial services.

The cost was formerly borne by customers using their airtime to dial USSD codes and carry out banking functions, then later borne by banks, until last year when some Banks failed to remit session fees to Telcos leading to a rift between banks and MNOs.

It took the intervention of CBN and NCC for an agreement to be reached, giving birth to charging customers an agreed fee of N6.98 per session for onward remittance to the telcos.

Most banks have switched to the automated session fee service where customers are automatically debited N6.98 as soon as their bank's session code is dialed. Some banks debit the lump sum once a month while some allow the system debit instantaneously.

The USSD is popular with bank customers that use feature phones since they cannot use the bank apps. However, due to the convenience of the USSD service for banking activities, even people with smartphones have been endeared to using their banks' short strings.

For you to be charged this fee, you had already consented to being charged (see screenshot) for each session (120secs max) per time.

I hope this clarifies things.

Does that mean customers would still be charged even when the transaction didn't go through?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc (Transcorp) / Why Naira Will Continue To Appreciate / Fairly Used Broom Sells For N12,600 On Ebay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.