Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,178 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis (397 Views)

2023 NECO Chemistry Practical | Titre Value For Volumetric Analysis / 2023 WAEC Chemistry Practical - Titre Value For Volumetric Analysis / 2022 NECO Chemistry Practical - Volumetric Analysis | Q & A (Part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by Encoreunltd(m): 12:26pm On Feb 12, 2022
I had the opportunity to teach chemistry in a private school, I was to be their biology teacher since I was a graduate of human anatomy.

But on resuming for this term, the chemistry teacher travelled to South Africa and the school needed to replace her. They called me from my biology Lab to help them since the other guy considered for the job was a biology major graduate and couldn't handle chemistry syllabus.

To cut long story short I have a challenge with preparing for titration. Getting the quantity of acid to be mixed to get 0.050 mol/dm³ of H2SO4 and the amount of NAOH to neutralize the acid.

I would appreciate your help chemistry teachers on this platform. I have tried Google and YouTube videos no luck yet. Thanks in advance dear colleagues
Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by emorse(m): 1:21pm On Feb 12, 2022
Encoreunltd:
I had the opportunity to teach chemistry in a private school, I was to be their biology teacher since I was a graduate of human anatomy.

But on resuming for this term, the chemistry teacher travelled to South Africa and the school needed to replace her. They called me from my biology Lab to help them since the other guy considered for the job was a biology major graduate and couldn't handle chemistry syllabus.

To cut long story short I have a challenge with preparing for titration. Getting the quantity of acid to be mixed to get 0.050 mol/dm³ of H2SO4 and the amount of NAOH to neutralize the acid.

I would appreciate your help chemistry teachers on this platform. I have tried Google and YouTube videos no luck yet. Thanks in advance dear colleagues
Molar conc. = Mass conc. / Molar mass
Molar conc. = 0.05mol/dm^3
Molar mass = 98g/mol
therefore mass conc. 0.05 * 98 = 4.9g/dm^3

This means you'll you'll dissolve 4.9g of H2SO4 in 1dm^3 of water

1 Like

Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by Richie6(m): 3:57pm On Feb 12, 2022
Send a to me message privately...I will help out

Also, I have a job for you since you majored in human anatomy.
Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by Encoreunltd(m): 4:20pm On Feb 12, 2022
emorse:

Molar conc. = Mass conc. / Molar mass
Molar conc. = 0.05mol/dm^3
Molar mass = 98g/mol
therefore mass conc. 0.05 * 98 = 4.9g/dm^3

This means you'll you'll dissolve 4.9g of H2SO4 in 1dm^3 of water

Thanks a ton @emorse for your help

I did all of the above with 4 250mL tap water filled measuring cylinder but couldn't get a flash point with the NAOH solution and phenolphthalein indicator used. I thought maybe because I used tap water instead of distilled water.

Another possibility is the quantity of NAOH solution used. Am not just sure what is the problem is.
Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by emorse(m): 4:32pm On Feb 12, 2022
Encoreunltd:

Thanks a ton @emorse for your help

I did all of the above with 4 250mL tap water filled measuring cylinder but couldn't get a flash point with the NAOH solution and phenolphthalein indicator used. I thought maybe because I used tap water instead of distilled water.

Another possibility is the quantity of NAOH solution used. Am not just sure what is the problem is.
Prepare a 0.1mol/dm^3 solution of NaOH by dissolving 4g of it in 1dm^3 of water.
Also, use methyl orange indicator. It's more suitable for a strong acid - strong base titration.

1 Like

Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by Rursh(m): 5:36pm On Feb 12, 2022
Where are you chatting from?
Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by Encoreunltd(m): 7:33am On Feb 13, 2022
Rursh:
Where are you chatting from?

Ikorodu, Lagos
Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by Encoreunltd(m): 7:34am On Feb 13, 2022
emorse:

Prepare a 0.1mol/dm^3 solution of NaOH by dissolving 4g of it in 1dm^3 of water.
Also, use methyl orange indicator. It's more suitable for a strong acid - strong base titration.

Thanks for your time. Will get back to you with my findings tomorrow after practicals
Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by Herbephe1(m): 7:49am On Feb 13, 2022
Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by Encoreunltd(m): 9:30pm On Feb 17, 2022
emorse:

Nailed it with methyl orange. The instructions requested for phenolphthalein indicator
Re: Chemistry Teacher Needs Help With Prepations For Volumetric Analysis by emorse(m): 11:38pm On Feb 17, 2022
Encoreunltd:

Nailed it with methyl orange. The instructions requested for phenolphthalein indicator
Phenolphthalein works better in weak acid - strong base titrations. Congrats by the way. And thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do These Profitable Things During ASUU Strike / How To Migrate To Germany From Nigeria In 2022 / How To Change Your Children/pupils Bad Handwriting – 4 Smart Guides

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.