Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,661 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

What Attracted You To Learn how to code? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Attracted You To Learn how to code? (12972 Views)

Corridorspreeuniversity: Learn To Code For Free / Hot!!! How To Learn To Code Using Your Android Device / Teach Yourself To Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by airsaylongcome: 4:28pm On Feb 15, 2022
DissTroy:

Do you still hold the same opinion you posited here https://okeowoaderemi.com/articles/posts/wordpress-to-processwire-a-guide-for-developers/ 7 years ago? I think WP has proven with time it is the best CMS, and with the best user and developer communities too across the internet.

P.S: You should consider fixing your SSL or changing the certificate. It keeps showing Error 404 or privacy issues.

Probably using TLS 1.0 or 1.1. Web browsers are now refusing access to such websites. And yes WordPress has stood the test of time. There was a time Joomla ruled that space. Don't know of people still aggressively use it as a CMS these days
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by tosinhtml: 4:33pm On Feb 15, 2022
LikeAking:
For me I discovered its among the few careers were hard work and dedication still pay in the modern world.

Secondly your programming level/skill can be easily seen and rated, unlike other fields were every one go dey claim say de sabi, bu in reality na d opposite. Their is no room for argument.

Thirdly there is no hiding in this field, if u no sabi you will be exposed,etc. You cant hide behind any body.

Its not like other fields were some will go to club, drink and Bleep and still be better than the hard working ones. You you get?

Its 100% garbage in garbage out. One of the most honest professions.

Recruitment are 100% based on your proven abilities, not like other fields. No serious company go employ who no sabi, even if they do they will easily notice and fire d person

In summery i became a programmer because hard work pays here. As a hard worker I believe I a in the right place.

This is actually something to worry about, hard work pays in this industry.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by tonystark007: 4:33pm On Feb 15, 2022
i started coding in sss 3 of my secondary school, my elder sister in the university had a pdf file on her tablet called "University C++".
That was how i started to learn coding. Back then i didn't have a phone or a pc so i wrote my code on paper.Even though it was hard at first, it soon became easy and fun when i was given my first phone after Secondary school and i bought a pc two years later.
even my elder sister was surprise at the pace at which i was learning it because the whole thing seems too abstract for her.i have already mastered python, javascript, golang, php, sql in addition to html, css and C++ which i might not remember much of what i learnt years ago (i didn't actually use it to create anything).
i have actually developed many project including games, chat-system/bot, and simple blogs. My latest work in an information sharing website called komnicate. the url is https://www.komnicate.com.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Maxxim: 4:36pm On Feb 15, 2022
yinkeys:
Coding is hard for old average heads that are newbies (over 26)

My brain no carry am
grin this got me lmao
This is me actually I'll be 27 this year and I realized I've been having difficulties in putting up with the lessons recently compared to past years when learning other skills.
I think the major cause is how one needs to meet up with some life obligations.
Am I giving up, nah
we die here cheesy
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by DissTroy(m): 4:37pm On Feb 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Probably using TLS 1.0 or 1.1. Web browsers are now refusing access to such websites. And yes WordPress has stood the test of time. There was a time Joomla ruled that space. Don't know of people still aggressively use it as a CMS these days

Yes, it has. The developer community is very impressive.
I dare add WP is one of the main reasons PHP is still popular as a programming language.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by tosinhtml: 4:37pm On Feb 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I wish I could like this comment a hundred times.

Do you remember a previous argument with one BRASAVILA lady on nairaland where she argued tooth & nail that Nigerian women in tech space are marginalized, it's only on nairaland I see people so ignorant and so confident at the same time.

In Tech, once you are good, you are good. Nobody cares whether you are a man, woman or hermaphrodite.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Brownshoe: 4:45pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

Yes I do, both as work and hobby, check my signature and follow my blog, I have alot of articles to write. Some of Mobile, some Linux and Shopify.
can you tutor sir, my mail is Bimbobamidele8@gmail.com just what i need to know as a beginner
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Brownshoe: 4:50pm On Feb 15, 2022
tonystark007:
i started coding in sss 3 of my secondary school, my elder sister in the university had a pdf file on her tablet called "University C++".
That was how i started to learn coding. Back then i didn't have a phone or a pc so i wrote my code on paper.Even though it was hard at first, it soon became easy and fun when i was given my first phone after Secondary school and i bought a pc two years later.
even my elder sister was surprise at the pace at which i was learning it because the whole thing seems too abstract for her.i have already mastered python, javascript, golang, php, sql in addition to html, css and C++ which i might not remember much of what i learnt years ago (i didn't actually use it to create anything).
i have actually developed many project including games, chat-system/bot, and simple blogs. My latest work in an information sharing website called komnicate. the url is https://www.komnicate.com.
help me with any material i can learn with, like ebook, pdf file, etc bimbobamidele8@gmail.com, thanks
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by temijoshuaa(m): 4:53pm On Feb 15, 2022
I am 30 years. Is it too late for me to learn how to code
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by qtguru(m): 4:59pm On Feb 15, 2022
DissTroy:

Do you still hold the same opinion you posited here https://okeowoaderemi.com/articles/posts/wordpress-to-processwire-a-guide-for-developers/ 7 years ago? I think WP has proven with time it is the best CMS, and with the best user and developer communities too across the internet.

P.S: You should consider fixing your SSL or changing the certificate. It keeps showing Error 404 or privacy issues.

I have SSL I think it keeps redirecting to the non-SSL page (http://). I will check that and update

The only issue I have with it is that the Coding is not Modern PHP, it's a mix of procedural and OOP compared to platform following PHP FIG Standards.

I was talking from an Engineer point of view, so I scored it low, but today I am more Business minded, so yes WordPress is the best CMS business wise, Guternberg and PageBuilders has made it easy for agencies to build their websites to their tailored needs.

I will checkout the SSL issue and see, but if you access with https do you still see an issue ?
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by qtguru(m): 5:02pm On Feb 15, 2022
Brownshoe:
can you tutor sir, my mail is Bimbobamidele8@gmail.com just what i need to know as a beginner

Join our slack, I have tons of work on my table, so I record videos instead.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Jeromejnr(m): 5:05pm On Feb 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Wrong. I'm sure I graduated from a Nigerian University before you did. Studied Computer Science as well. The language used may be old but the underlying concepts are still very relevant

Edit(15/02/22): it's like Tech threads don dey hot FP regularly now o. Make i start to behave myself.

I got into programming because of game o. "Where in the World Is Carmen" specifically. Wanted to write my own Carmen since my friend whose dad worked in NNPC had a computer and nor let us drink water. Everyday Carmen, Carmen story

Hey, I remember where is Carmen Sandiego...though it was a cartoon of it I watched.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by 10thTenthMan: 5:07pm On Feb 15, 2022
When someone said that ''...in future, coding will be like being computer literate today''.

PEOPLE WILL JUST EXPECT YOU TO KNOW HOW TO CODE AND PROGRAM DEVICES AS ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, COMPUTERS AND MACHINES PLAY BIGGER ROLES IN OUR DAILY LIVES AND EXISTENCE.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Obasempiree(m): 5:07pm On Feb 15, 2022
temijoshuaa:
Learning to code has nothing to do with age u can pm me if u need help getting started.

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by NapoleonHill: 5:09pm On Feb 15, 2022
OmejeGuy:

I was forced to learn C++ in my 300L. I hated the Aboki lecturer so no concrete interest aside the course

Which school?
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Obasempiree(m): 5:10pm On Feb 15, 2022
Maxxim:

grin this got me lmao
This is me actually I'll be 27 this year and I realized I've been having difficulties in putting up with the lessons recently compared to past years when learning other skills.
I think the major cause is how one needs to meet up with some life obligations.
Am I giving up, nah
we die here cheesy
I started learning and wrote my first code @27 I really think it's different for everyone but I had a mindset of learning to code at all cost just like a terminator lol. grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Kaymanzuma(m): 5:12pm On Feb 15, 2022
What are the tools needed to start coding.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by DissTroy(m): 5:14pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

I have SSL I think it keeps redirecting to the non-SSL page (http://). I will check that and update

The only issue I have with it is that the Coding is not Modern PHP, it's a mix of procedural and OOP compared to platform following PHP FIG Standards.

I was talking from an Engineer point of view, so I scored it low, but today I am more Business minded, so yes WordPress is the best CMS business wise, Guternberg and PageBuilders has made it easy for agencies to build their websites to their tailored needs.

I will checkout the SSL issue and see, but if you access with https do you still see an issue ?

Most web hosting plans come with SSL certificates added to the package. Just message your web hosting company to correct the issue.

It still redirects to https//: but since the SSL certificate has expired, it keeps showing insecured.

Or you buy an SSL certificate to add yourself.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by peeps4u: 5:14pm On Feb 15, 2022
Chloraseptic:
I really need to learn this coding and get some certification before I travel abroad.

Is it advisible to learn it here and get certified (will it be valued abroad) or should I wait and learn it over there and get certified?.

And to think I studied computer science in school

IT isn't really about certification but your expertise.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by qtguru(m): 5:17pm On Feb 15, 2022
DissTroy:

Most web hosting plans come with SSL certificates added to the package. Just message your web hosting company to correct the issue.

It still redirects to https//: but since the SSL certificate has expired, it keeps showing insecured.

Or you buy an SSL certificate to add yourself.

Thanks very much, I will look at it , you do WordPress Dev ?
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Mart1994(m): 5:27pm On Feb 15, 2022
charlesm91:
as a beginner, remove your mind from the money and the money from your mind, and psych yourself that you will be committed to learning even when it’ll look frustrating. Then you can proceed and start from the basics - html, css , JavaScript and mix it up with a JavaScript library such as react. Then you can decide if you want to also learn backend stuff too. But I suggest you learn the beginning and the fundamental concepts first . Also practice daily cos the more you type out the codes ( pls never copy and paste as a beginner) you develop the memory on how to go about it.
Bro, please I need your advice too.

I'm an aspiring software engineer (android). I began learning kotlin. Along the line I was to download and install android studio to begin to build apps proper. But I found out that the android ide was too heavy for my system to carry. (4gb ram). And the minimum requirements is 8gb. I had to stop the process. I don't even have any money on me now to purchase even a 2gb ram laptop.

What do you advice I do sir?
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Alusiizizi(m): 5:28pm On Feb 15, 2022
internationalman:

Are you not in this Nigeria..

It's possible in every school in the country..

How many of those girls who graduated actually knew what they red in school

There are girls in computer science? Well that explains a lot doesn't it.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by internationalman(m): 5:34pm On Feb 15, 2022
Alusiizizi:

There are girls in computer science? Well that explains a lot doesn't it.

So you are trying to say girls don't have brain or what.

You people are unbelievable
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Alusiizizi(m): 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2022
freshmann:
For the gurus in the house,

I’m really interested in learning coding/programming, it would be a dream come true for me. I have a background in medicine and zero knowledge in coding.

Please I’ll appreciate links, books and videos that can help me achieve this dream

www.w3schools.com. Start there. It's going to be a bit daunting at first, but the idea is to get an understanding on what coding is all about, develop a concept of computer programs that is invariant across programming languages(this concept will help not only in learning how to program, but much more importantly, learning in innovations in programming as well as new languages that occur quite regularly) and as well develop your ability to read/debug code(absolutely indispensable). Oh, and don't forget the all too important laptop, without which the whole exercise would be but a waste of time. Download/install all the necessary tools, XAMPP, VS, etc. The only way to learn coding is by actually coding, cramming will get you nowhere very slowly.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Maxxim: 5:51pm On Feb 15, 2022
Obasempiree:

I started learning and wrote my first code @27 I really think it's different for everyone but I had a mindset of learning to code at all cost just like a terminator lol. grin grin
Wow that's interesting to hear
I actually started some few years ago, I can't admit to have started learning then cos I wasn't serious, but commenced late last year but it wasn't that smooth ride.
Seeing the condition of every job out there I don't have any option than to develop this the terminator way lol.
Hope you're still practicing?

Modified, I forgot you're the op
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Alusiizizi(m): 5:52pm On Feb 15, 2022
yinkeys:
Coding is hard for old average heads that are newbies (over 26)

My brain no carry am

Seriously? Stop generalizing and speak for yourself.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Skillsnigeria: 5:53pm On Feb 15, 2022
Hmmm grin
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Alusiizizi(m): 5:55pm On Feb 15, 2022
temijoshuaa:
NO!
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Alusiizizi(m): 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2022
internationalman:

So you are trying to say girls don't have brain or what.

You people are unbelievable

As a matter of fact, that is precisely what I'm trying to say.
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by Brownshoe: 6:12pm On Feb 15, 2022
qtguru:

Join our slack, I have tons of work on my table, so I record videos instead.
link to ur slack
Re: What Attracted You To Learn how to code? by qtguru(m): 6:29pm On Feb 15, 2022

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

In What Order Did You Learn Your Languages? / Most Used Mysql Database Functions / Is There Any Statement Like C System''pause'' For Python Cos It Dissappears Immediately I run the co

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.