Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,007 members, 7,806,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It (20459 Views)

Which School To Best Apply For Computer Science In Nigeria. / Studying Computer Science At 40? / Can I Be A Good Programmer Without Studying Computer Science In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Nobody: 7:19pm On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Same Biochemistry that people are using to get remote jobs while in Nigeria?
When it comes to the science line, the most jobless graduates are the ones that studied microbiology and biochemistry in Nigeria. I tell you.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by dealerman(m): 7:20pm On Feb 20, 2022
VOLUNTEER IN THE I.T FIELD NEEDED IN OWERRI - IMO STATE!

IF YOU'RE EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD IN SOFTWARE DESIGN ARCHITECTURE, ARTIFICIAL INTELIGENCE AND CODING, YOU'RE EXPERTISE WILL BE HIGHLY NEEDED.

A TECH START-UP HUB EXTABLISHED IN OWERRI WILL BE NEEDING EXPERTS IN I.T PROFESSION FOR THE 1ST 2 MONTHS. PREFERABLY THOSE LIVING IN THE CITY OR NEAIGHBOURING STATES.

Fell free to send SMS/WhatsApp mssg to "Co-Ordinator - Pathway Initiative" +234-909-884-573-6.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 7:24pm On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

FANG and subsequently FAANG also known as the Tech Giants, Big Four, or Big Five, is a name given to the presently four or five largest, most dominant, and most prestigious companies in the information technology industry of the United States.

Regarding your question about Nigerian Leetcode users, the data is there if you care to query the sources.

Am I the one that have them the jobs? No. But the community of remote workers working for these companies is a small very elite group. They are out there working discretely for their employers to avoid unnecessary attention

Which data? Since u have queried the data, then sharing the data shouldn't be difficult for you.

If "They (the community of remote workers) are out there working discretely for their employers to avoid unnecessary attention, then how is "the data there if you care to query the sources"?

Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 7:33pm On Feb 20, 2022
lexy2014:

Which data? Since u have queried the data, then sharing the data shouldn't be difficult for you.

If "They (the community of remote workers) are out there working discretely for their employers to avoid unnecessary attention, then how is "the data there if you care to query the sources"?

So you seem to be mixing things up. When I said "the data is there if you care to query the sources" I was referring to the data about leetcode users and not Remote workers.

You can refer to this source and slice and dice the data

https://leetcode-country-ranking.herokuapp.com/

That's about the readily available open/free data I could lay hands on. Mckinsey data that is more detailed is paid for and I don't have authorisation to share that
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:48pm On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

So you seem to be mixing things up. When I said "the data is there if you care to query the sources" I was referring to the data about leetcode users and not Remote workers.

That's about the readily available open/free data I could lay hands on. Mckinsey data that is more detailed is paid for and I don't have authorisation to share that
Men you shouldnt have replied him. There's a lot of rubbish comments in this posts and honestly I feel they should be left to wallow in their ignorance. You don't even need faang to earn highly in Nigeria. Well funded startups are paying unbelievable salaries but the entry process is rigorous comparable to faang.

5 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 7:53pm On Feb 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Men you shouldnt have replied him. There's a lot of rubbish comments in this posts and honestly I feel they should be left to wallow in their ignorance. You don't even need faang to earn highly in Nigeria. Well funded startups are paying unbelievable salaries but the entry process is rigorous comparable to faang.

To be honest I was shocked when he kept going on and on about what FAANG is that it is just an acronym. Na there I suppose to don ignore am. But I wanted to give him the benefit of doubt
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 7:57pm On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Who said anything about remote workers? Can u remind me of when we had that discussion? I guess we now know who is mixing things up.

So what does link prove or disprove about leetcode users?

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 8:09pm On Feb 20, 2022
lexy2014:

Who said anything about remote workers? Can u remind me of when we had that discussion? I guess we now know who is mixing things up.

So what does link prove or disprove about leetcode users?

Lol

No need to further indulge you fam.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 8:47pm On Feb 20, 2022
That's commendable, i am glad, Fortran is useful for your work.

airsaylongcome:

What's wrong with learning to code in FORTRAN? I learned to code in BASIC which is even older than FORTRAN. And I also learned FORTRAN in school. The programming language learnt in school is only a means of expressing the concepts and algorithms learned in programming. And oh, I forgot to also mention that I work remotely for a foreign based firm. And I studied I. A Nigerian University. And live here as well. If you know where to look, you'd be taken aback by the number of (well-paid) openings available for FORTRAN programmers.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Indispensable85(m): 10:03pm On Feb 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I really laugh when people say this. Berate PASCAL and FORTRAN. Languages that I also learnt. What is bad in learning them? Don't you also have to implement Quick Sort or Breadth First Search in these languages? Don't you use Linked Lists and arrays there? Let me tell you from experience, learning in these languages sef is even good as you learn old school techniques of strongly typed languages. I'm a pupil of both languages, and learning to program with them did not in anyway limit my chances of getting employment. The most important thing is to always self-develop

Try to compare your curriculum with your contemporaries abroad you'll see what I'm talking about. You can't be talking about pascal and fortran in 2020's. The world has moved.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Hannania(m): 12:18am On Feb 21, 2022
lexy2014:

I haven't made any comment. I only asked u questions which u unable to answer. Is comment & question d same thing? Meanwhile,

Are you the one that gave them the jobs? How do u no that there are less than 1000leetcodr users in Nigeria? Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to? What is FAANG?
It's obvious you lack comprehension.What tensazangetsu20 said about 99.9 of Computer science students not knowing leetcode is true. Now let me break down what he meant.

Out of 100%, around 60% would have heard of leetcode, and around 20% would have tried it, but obviously, they won't scale past 5 questions. How do we know this? He made mentioned of less than 1000 Nigerians are on Leetcode platform, 99% of which are developers out of school or in diaspora. So where are in undergraduates? and you said how does he know. Obviously, you're not in the tech world to know that it's a seamless thing to know active members on a platform such as that through their Nationality.

For you not to know FAANG companies, and still asking same question after airsaylongcome enlightened you, shows the bad intent you had and I love the fact tensazangetsu20 did not reply you again.

Every year, companies like Microsoft, Cisco, IBM, Oracle, Juniper and even Twitter higher Young Nigerians in this country paying them what I bet my life you won't agree is possible.. Just last year, a colleague of mine got into Cisco( Finished From Covenant) and was sent to Poland for six months training before moving back to lagos. Same happend to a senior colleague of mine while we were in secondary school at Federal Government College, who recently got in with Microsoft in Nigeria.

They all had one thing in common. adequate Data structures and Algorithms, and proficiency in an OOP language. Though one of them was based on Networking.

It's because of people like you that details like this are kept out of the mud, because you won't believe the pay.

There's no Nigerian that has solved 100 questions on leetcode and does not earn at least $20k per month working remotely In Nigeria. All the one's I've met, are evidence of this. That's so because such number is even negligible.

When in a public space, try to have a liberal mind and don't display ignorance to the highest order.you were enlightened several times, but you chose to hold to your "prove of point " questions which has been answered.

Please be careful how you respond to this, because I have all the time to educate you.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 6:27am On Feb 21, 2022
Hannania:
It's obvious you lack comprehension.What tensazangetsu20 said about 99.9 of Computer science students not knowing leetcode is true. Now let me break down what he meant.

Out of 100%, around 60% would have heard of leetcode, and around 20% would have tried it, but obviously, they won't scale past 5 questions. How do we know this? He made mentioned of less than 1000 Nigerians are on Leetcode platform, 99% of which are developers out of school or in diaspora. So where are in undergraduates? and you said how does he know. Obviously, you're not in the tech world to know that it's a seamless thing to know active members on a platform such as that through their Nationality.

For you not to know FAANG companies, and still asking same question after airsaylongcome enlightened you, shows the bad intent you had and I love the fact tensazangetsu20 did not reply you again.

Every year, companies like Microsoft, Cisco, IBM, Oracle, Juniper and even Twitter higher Young Nigerians in this country paying them what I bet my life you won't agree is possible.. Just last year, a colleague of mine got into Cisco( Finished From Covenant) and was sent to Poland for six months training before moving back to lagos. Same happend to a senior colleague of mine while we were in secondary school at Federal Government College, who recently got in with Microsoft in Nigeria.

They all had one thing in common. adequate Data structures and Algorithms, and proficiency in an OOP language. Though one of them was based on Networking.

It's because of people like you that details like this are kept out of the mud, because you won't believe the pay.

There's no Nigerian that has solved 100 questions on leetcode and does not earn at least $20k per month working remotely In Nigeria. All the one's I've met, are evidence of this. That's so because such number is even negligible.

When in a public space, try to have a liberal mind and don't display ignorance to the highest order.you were enlightened several times, but you chose to hold to your "prove of point " questions which has been answered.

Please be careful how you respond to this, because I have all the time to educate you.

according to you: "I love the fact tensazangetsu20 did not reply you again" yet you are replying me. should we now say that it "shows the bad intent you had"?

the question is this: how did you arrive at your 99%, 60% and 20%?

why is that most of u who make claims, its always "a colleague of mine", "a senior colleague of mine", "someone i know"....why isnt it you? where were you when all these people where being sent to Poland? am sure your friends airsaylongcome and tensazangetsu20 also know somebody or colleague.

According to you: There's no Nigerian that has solved 100 questions on leetcode and does not earn at least $20k per month working remotely

and in my exchange with airsaylongcome, he said he wasnt referring to those working remotely and neither was I. so i dont no where your remote working came from. the question i asked which you missed despite all your grammar and knowledge is Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to?

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 7:52am On Feb 21, 2022
Indispensable85:

Try to compare your curriculum with your contemporaries abroad you'll see what I'm talking about. You can't be talking about pascal and fortran in 2020's. The world has moved.

I am not saying the curriculum abroad has not evolved. It's the same with every field of study in Nigeria. Would you say because Nigerian Doctors study anatomy with cadavers, they are less proficient than their colleagues who studied the same anatomy with state of the art 3D printed ones? Does the underlying concepts in anatomy change whether you use an aged human cadaver or a very advanced 3D one? No. It's the same way the underlying principles of computing don't change whether you use BASIC or Python. I studied Data Structures from Arrays to Linked list to Trees to Graphs in PASCAL. Studied all the search and sort algorithms and their Big O complexity in the same PASCAL. All of that is the fundamental of Computing. The language you study it in is completely irrelevant. As long as you understand the concepts you can replicate them in any language whether old or new. Yes learning it in a new language makes you more suitable for the present market but the reason for a university degree is to know how to learn, unlearn and relearn. A FOR loop is a FOR LOOP whether in QBASIC or in Haskell.

Complaining about "old" languages is like complaining about learning to drive using manual or stick-shift vehicle. Does the fact that most cars today are automatic shift invalidate the principles of driving you learn with a stick shift?

By the way the FORTRAN a lot of you denigrate, do you know it was revised as recently as 2018? Previous revisions where in 2008, 2003, 1995 and 1990? How is a language that was revised and updated in 2018 "outdated"?

I saw a remote opening for someone with demonstrated knowledge of FORTRAN. Do you know the pay per annum? $100,326 - $163,030. Tell me that FORTRAN is dead

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Hannania(m): 8:26am On Feb 21, 2022
lexy2014:

according to you: "I love the fact tensazangetsu20 did not reply you again" yet you are replying me. should we now say that it "shows the bad intent you had"?

why is that most of u who make claims, its always "a colleague of mine", "a senior colleague of mine", "someone i know"....why isnt it you? where were you when all these people where being sent to Poland? am sure your friends airsaylongcome and tensazangetsu20 also know somebody or colleague.

According to you: There's no Nigerian that has solved 100 questions on leetcode and does not earn at least $20k per month working remotely

and in my exchange with airsaylongcome, he said he wasnt referring to those working remotely and neither was I. so i dont no where your remote working came from. the question i asked which you missed despite all your grammar and knowledge is Which high paying Nigerian firms are you referring to?
lol, it's funny because what you're looking for, you won't find, and I'm not emotional beyond professional to fall for it. Now let me highlight what you pointed.

1. Firstly, tensazangetsu20 is a remote software engineer, and he owes you nothing to tell you how much he earns. That's disrespectful to ask. We use colleagues as examples because they remain anonymous unlike known persons.

2. Secondly, I explained how that % number came about to be, but you chose to not comprehend. Please go and read it again.

3. You asked where I was when my friend was sent to Poland? Lol!!! That's funny. I don't owe you my details, and you can only but imagine. But I bet you won't come close.

4. lastly, you missed the point where I mentioned all those companies, which employ those guys are here in Nigeria. I only mentioned them because they all happen to be MNCs and there's not harm.

You're waiting to hear about indigenous firms? Well, you won't get that from me. Why? I know a couple of persons working here with such firms, and if of course you have an idea about work ethic, you would know how displeasing it would be to know a fellow employee of yours earns mars range while you're on earth. This of course is based on negotiation and value.

And I won't give you that privilege so you and Nairaland point lickers won't use it as a yardstick. As its a mystery to you, let it remain that way. We owe no one nothing.

There's an opportunity abound, and it's left for you to find it. Selah

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by BRATISLAVA: 8:47am On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I am not saying the curriculum abroad has not evolved. It's the same with every field of study in Nigeria. Would you say because Nigerian Doctors study anatomy with cadavers, they are less proficient than their colleagues who studied the same anatomy with state of the art 3D printed ones? Does the underlying concepts in anatomy change whether you use an aged human cadaver or a very advanced 3D one? No. It's the same way the underlying principles of computing don't change whether you use BASIC or Python. I studied Data Structures from Arrays to Linked list to Trees to Graphs in PASCAL. Studied all the search and sort algorithms and their Big O complexity in the same PASCAL. All of that is the fundamental of Computing. The language you study it in is completely irrelevant. As long as you understand the concepts you can replicate them in any language whether old or new. Yes learning it in a new language makes you more suitable for the present market but the reason for a university degree is to know how to learn, unlearn and relearn. A FOR loop is a FOR LOOP whether in QBASIC or in Haskell.

Complaining about "old" languages is like complaining about learning to drive using manual or stick-shift vehicle. Does the fact that most cars today are automatic shift invalidate the principles of driving you learn with a stick shift?

By the way the FORTRAN a lot of you denigrate, do you know it was revised as recently as 2018? Previous revisions where in 2008, 2003, 1995 and 1990? How is a language that was revised and updated in 2018 "outdated"?

I saw a remote opening for someone with demonstrated knowledge of FORTRAN. Do you know the pay per annum? $100,326 - $163,030. Tell me that FORTRAN is dead

Long explanation for simple concept!

It's those basics that are still applicable 20 years later. What one knew then is still what must be known. Same core, different techniques.

Tech threads are full of too many riveted arguments and assumptions. Too much young blood and ego involved. Or shall we say too much testosterone?

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Indispensable85(m): 8:53am On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Your comparisons are indeed funny.
You're comparing a medical doctor trained abroad and the one trained in Nigeria? Really?

You're comparing automatic transmission to manual? Really?

Have you heard about the word efficiency before?

It's same way our judges still write with biro and paper in the court. You're not different from our analogue leaders in government.

You belong to the generation of Nokia 3310.
Bye..... The world has moved. Theory is not practice, principles are not application.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 9:04am On Feb 21, 2022
Indispensable85:

Your comparisons are indeed funny.
You're comparing a medical doctor trained abroad and the one trained in Nigeria? Really?

You're comparing automatic transmission to manual? Really?

Have you heard about the word efficiency before?

It's same way our judges still write with biro and paper in the court. You're not different from our analogue leaders in government.

You belong to the generation of Nokia 3310.
Bye..... The world has moved. Theory is not practice, principles are not application.

Lol. Are you saying that because the Nigerian medical trainee does not have access to the state of the art tools his American colleagues have he should abandon his study of medicine? My point is that our curriculum is outdated is not valid excuse not to study Computing. You use what you have to get what you want. Of course if you have the means to pay for studying using state of the art tech please go ahead and do so. But when these state of the art boot camps ask for ₦3m tuition fee we all scream! Studying Computer Science in the US will cost nothing less than $20k per annum. If those asking can afford it then they should by all means. Not wanting to study in America and hunting for scholarships up and down.

PS: My first introduction to programming was with QBASIC as a young boy. Fast forward to about 6years later and I was being taught University level programming using PASCAL.
DIM A(0,49) AS INTEGER had become
A: array[0..49] of INTEGER;

Today it is mostly int A[50]; when I get to program
Same concept, different expression. The language you are taught in is only a means of expressing the concept.

And oh, I learnt to program on a machine similar to this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 9:07am On Feb 21, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Long explanation for simple concept!

It's those basics that are still applicable 20 years later. What one knew then is still what must be known. Same core, different techniques.

Tech threads are full of too many riveted arguments and assumptions. Too much young blood and ego involved. Or shall we say too much testosterone?

I really should write less I know!

And that core remains irrespective of the language. In fact you can and should learn all of that using pseudocode rather than a specific language in my opinion.

Haha..I don't know if it's too much testosterone or too much rush-of-blood-to-the-head

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Indispensable85(m): 9:43am On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol. Are you saying that because the Nigerian medical trainee does not have access to the state of the art tools his American colleagues have he should abandon his study of medicine? My point is that our curriculum is outdated is not valid excuse not to study Computing. You use what you have to get what you want. Of course if you have the means to pay for studying using state of the art tech please go ahead and do so. But when these state of the art boot camps ask for ₦3m tuition fee we all scream! Studying Computer Science in the US will cost nothing less than $20k per annum. If those asking can afford it then they should by all means. Not wanting to study in America and hunting for scholarships up and down

Hahahaha.... My brother may God help us.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:08am On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

This is what they fail to see. The language is useless. The fundamental data structures, algorithms and systems design are the most important thing.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Yeah, simply managing/migrating legacy codebases can make you top dollar. Read about some COBOL tech lead pulling $1.5m a year between two projects @ Bank of America I think.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by lexy2014: 11:24am On Feb 21, 2022
Hannania:
lol, it's funny because what you're looking for, you won't find, and I'm not emotional beyond professional to fall for it. Now let me highlight what you pointed.

1. Firstly, tensazangetsu20 is a remote software engineer, and he owes you nothing to tell you how much he earns. That's disrespectful to ask. We use colleagues as examples because they remain anonymous unlike known persons.

2. Secondly, I explained how that % number came about to be, but you chose to not comprehend. Please go and read it again.

3. You asked where I was when my friend was sent to Poland? Lol!!! That's funny. I don't owe you my details, and you can only but imagine. But I bet you won't come close.

4. lastly, you missed the point where I mentioned all those companies, which employ those guys are here in Nigeria. I only mentioned them because they all happen to be MNCs and there's not harm.

You're waiting to hear about indigenous firms? Well, you won't get that from me. Why? I know a couple of persons working here with such firms, and if of course you have an idea about work ethic, you would know how displeasing it would be to know a fellow employee of yours earns mars range while you're on earth. This of course is based on negotiation and value.

And I won't give you that privilege so you and Nairaland point lickers won't use it as a yardstick. As its a mystery to you, let it remain that way. We owe no one nothing.

There's an opportunity abound, and it's left for you to find it. Selah

Bro, u haven't answered my questions:

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by BRATISLAVA: 11:50am On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I really should write less I know!

And that core remains irrespective of the language. In fact you can and should learn all of that using pseudocode rather than a specific language in my opinion.

Haha..I don't know if it's too much testosterone or too much rush-of-blood-to-the-head

Even if you type the truth from now till tomorrow, this is the Twitter age where everyone has an opinion, Wikipedia is their PhD and they know everything.

New blood believe they are better at this and know more, so let's debate it for the heck of it. With testosterone in the mix.

The core language would be good. But that's probably why we have core structures.

By the way, some of those colleagues could be the posters themselves. Anonymous forum tricks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 1:08pm On Feb 21, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Even if you type the truth from now till tomorrow, this is the Twitter age where everyone has an opinion, Wikipedia is their PhD and they know everything.

New blood believe they are better at this and know more, so let's debate it for the heck of it. With testosterone in the mix.

The core language would be good. But that's probably why we have core structures.

By the way, some of those colleagues could be the posters themselves. Anonymous forum tricks.

Looool...me I know that na! To avoid "please can I email you?" If na you nko?

In other news, I'm looking for someone to integrate an Inventory Management System with an eCommerce system. Both systems already exist. I'm looking for integration not "I can build it.from scratch"

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by BRATISLAVA: 1:16pm On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Looool...me I know that na! To avoid "please can I email you?" If na you nko?

In other news, I'm looking for someone to integrate an Inventory Management System with an eCommerce system. Both systems already exist. I'm looking for integration not "I can build it.from scratch"

Please can I email you? I needs a mentor and maybe if you can spare like $1.000.000? I know is much to ask. But I know God will touch your heart. Av actually been praying to meet your rare breed. And, also, if you can pay my annual sub for that inventory management system, I would be so grateful sir. Hoping to hear from you soon. Thanks.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 1:21pm On Feb 21, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Please can I email you? I needs a mentor and maybe if you can spare like $1.000.000? I know is much to ask. But I know God will touch your heart. Av actually been praying to meet your rare breed. And, also, if you can pay my annual sub for that inventory management system, I would be so grateful sir. Hoping to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Don't worry, u will not only hear from me soon. U will hearing from me too soon. You forgot to add "Am" in front of the hoping, "Am hoping to hear..."

You see that mentoring, I don't have issues with it. In fact I kind of like it to be able to guide someone on their path and watch them fly. Keyword being "guide"...90% of the people that say they need mentoring are really looking for am excuse for someone to invest time, effort and energy training them for free. They come back to you with the slightest challenge they face when that challenge is what you wanted them to overcome when you give them a task

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by BRATISLAVA: 1:28pm On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Don't worry, u will not only hear from me soon. U will hearing from me too soon. You forgot to add "Am" in front of the hoping, "Am hoping to hear..."

You see that mentoring, I don't have issues with it. In fact I kind of like it to be able to guide someone on their path and watch them fly. Keyword being "guide"...90% of the people that say they need mentoring are really looking for am excuse for someone to invest time, effort and energy training them for free. They come back to you with the slightest challenge they face when that challenge is what you wanted them to overcome when you give them a task

School of tough love. That point about mentoring is true. People want you to solve their problems, they don't want to work on them.

Good luck in your search though.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by pvicky(m): 1:40pm On Feb 21, 2022
Jennifer89:

So you want to be scammed again

Thank you for the warning.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by usy309(m): 2:50pm On Feb 21, 2022
It worth it my bro....but u need to learn many things yourself...hope u like Books
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Laryfrosh: 6:02pm On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I searched using NIGERIA and found not more than 20 persons... We just have about 20 persons that solve leetcode in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Golan007: 6:38pm On Feb 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

FANG and subsequently FAANG also known as the Tech Giants, Big Four, or Big Five, is a name given to the presently four or five largest, most dominant, and most prestigious companies in the information technology industry of the United States.

Regarding your question about Nigerian Leetcode users, the data is there if you care to query the sources.

Am I the one that have them the jobs? No. But the community of remote workers working for these companies is a small very elite group. They are out there working discretely for their employers to avoid unnecessary attention

That guy would continue asking foolish questions like a broken record.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by FahBuLous: 6:43pm On Feb 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

This is what they fail to see. The language is useless. The fundamental data structures, algorithms and systems design are the most important thing.
How long did it take you to be proficient in programming?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch / Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App / Viewing And Creating Reports In Java - Share Ur Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.