Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It (20469 Views)

Which School To Best Apply For Computer Science In Nigeria. / Studying Computer Science At 40? / Can I Be A Good Programmer Without Studying Computer Science In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:49pm On Feb 22, 2022
plat0:
Are the explanations solutions to the questions you're expected to solve?

Yeah If I cant get them the first time. I try to reason solutions for 30 mins and If i cant get it , I use their own solution. Go back days after and resolve and resolve and review on weekends. The thing is tough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by plat0: 8:54pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah If I cant get them the first time. I try to reason solutions for 30 mins and If i cant get it , I use their own solution. Go back days after and resolve and resolve and review on weekends. The thing is tough.
Thanks
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 8:58pm On Feb 22, 2022
plat0:
I just checked the leet code ranking web application, about 50% of the guys from Nigeria work for reputable software companies. Instead of buying Udemy courses and learning frame works, pay for a year subscription on leetcode and Algo expert and devote at least 12 months to solving questions.

Thanks guys.

I like you already! Because the average Nigerian will be thinking of achieving competence in 30 days so they can start working for Google before Easter this year. Competence takes time
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 9:00pm On Feb 22, 2022
plat0:
Everyone is learning coding and they aspire to work for big tech companies, earning at least $100k per annum but they are oblivious to platforms like leetcode, hacker rank and Algo expert. Information is truly power and nothing good comes easy.

I couldn't find any girl on the list , Why?

How can you tell that there were no ladies?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by plat0: 9:05pm On Feb 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

How can you tell that there were no ladies?
I looked up the guys on the list, most of them have their LinkedIn/GitHub links on their profile.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:06pm On Feb 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I like you already! Because the average Nigerian will be thinking of achieving competence in 30 days so they can start working for Google before Easter this year. Competence takes time

12 months is not even realistic. Data structures is very hard the hardest topic in computer science. Americans and chinese and indians start grinding leetcode at high school and by university they have done over 3000 questions. Gennady started grinding DSA at 6 years old. If you have a full time job and you dont have a genius IQ it will take at least 3 years of constant practice to pass Googles own DSA interview. Its the hardest. Amazon is the easiest amongst the FAANGs and can be cracked in a year. I have spoken to a ton of FAANG engineers. My children if I ever change my mind to have any will start grinding DSA at 3 years.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Newusername(m): 9:12pm On Feb 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

DSA dealt with me last year. I had a ton of interviews for relocation jobs to Germany Portugal Netherlands. I failed every single one of them cause of DSA. I don't even bother learning any rubbish frameworks now. All my time is on DSA.
Good evening sir, I have been seeing you guys talking about DSA, please how do I get started with it?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by plat0: 9:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Munonyealvan: 9:38pm On Feb 22, 2022

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:59pm On Feb 22, 2022
plat0:
https://ayomideoyekanmi.medium.com/on-getting-into-google-8bb1afcfd526
What is so funny is that Ayomide had a first class in computer science from convenant and was the best student in corona when he graduated. With computer science and DSA, no one sends your college grades. First-class, 2 2, third class o, pass o. The person who can solve it gets the job. Even being a genius no help o. The best competitive programmers like Gennady and tiancheng lou have solved over 3000 questions before they even entered university o.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Nobody: 10:54pm On Feb 22, 2022
Munonyealvan:
Dr Levi the chief,I am a 100L medicine and surgery student in one of the federal Universities in the east,I want to appreciate you for ur diary,it was impactful while it lasted,when I was still an aspirant I go through ur diary for motivation(I read it a lot),so wonderful.Well I understand ur privacy concern,I wish u didn't nuke
it sha,if I Sabi say u for nuke am perhaps I for screenshot am,all the best Chief, ur diary impacted my academic life ,sayonara.
Thanks. Goodluck on your journey man and try rest and enjoy life for year 1, that time will never come again

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by airsaylongcome: 12:13am On Feb 23, 2022
@tensazangetsu20 so with DSA today, what are the real pain points today? In my time back in school I struggled with Big O notation. I could handle most of the search and sort algorithms but I couldn't for the life of me fully understand how to calculate their Big O notation.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:18am On Feb 23, 2022
airsaylongcome:
@tensazangetsu20 so with DSA today, what are the real pain points today? In my time back in school I struggled with Big O notation. I could handle most of the search and sort algorithms but I couldn't for the life of me fully understand how to calculate their Big O notation.

Calculating big O notation for some algorithms especially when it involves recursion is kinda tricky but the Koko is even solving the questions. To me the most difficult part that I have had so much troubles with are graphs and dynamic programming. Those two topics are too difficult honestly.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Hannania(m): 2:47am On Feb 23, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

12 months is not even realistic. Data structures is very hard the hardest topic in computer science. Americans and chinese and indians start grinding leetcode at high school and by university they have done over 3000 questions. Gennady started grinding DSA at 6 years old. If you have a full time job and you dont have a genius IQ it will take at least 3 years of constant practice to pass Googles own DSA interview. Its the hardest. Amazon is the easiest amongst the FAANGs and can be cracked in a year. I have spoken to a ton of FAANG engineers. My children if I ever change my mind to have any will start grinding DSA at 3 years.
Tensa this is relative subject to background and exposure to those concepts. Besides, our IQ level aren't the same. Google internship pays around $10k per month and it's feasible to grind leetcode and having resources like "Cracking the interview questions" and Clement Mihailescu AlgoExpert premium with a year of dedicated study to get that position.

Besides, I believe In leverage. Someone can begin with Goldmansach, Amazon, Microsoft and BoA and leap frog to Google.

Everyday I go on LinkedIn, I see countless stories like this from young Nigerians and also few folks around me that are on this route. And it makes me challenged to change my own status. it gives me more energy to keep grinding. Goldmansach is the goal presently though.

PS: Biko don't fish you 3yr old kid with that in future grin
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Hannania(m): 2:56am On Feb 23, 2022
plat0:
I just checked the leet code ranking web application, about 50% of the guys from Nigeria work for reputable software companies. Instead of buying Udemy courses and learning frame works, pay for a year subscription on leetcode and Algo expert and devote at least 12 months to solving questions.

Thanks guys.
The number one Nigerian on Leetcode studied Petroleum Engineering with first class sef grin. The second guy is even a Teenager. That boy is made ....Tech na your mate cheesy. Working with Google in Switzerland, Zurich.

We're getting there smiley
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:36am On Feb 23, 2022
Hannania:
Tensa this is relative subject to background and exposure to those concepts. Besides, our IQ level aren't the same. Google internship pays around $10k per month and it's feasible to grind leetcode and having resources like "Cracking the interview questions" and Clement Mihailescu AlgoExpert premium with a year of dedicated study to get that position.

Besides, I believe In leverage. Someone can begin with Goldmansach, Amazon, Microsoft and BoA and leap frog to Google.

Everyday I go on LinkedIn, I see countless stories like this from young Nigerians and also few folks around me that are on this route. And it makes me challenged to change my own status. it gives me more energy to keep grinding. Goldmansach is the goal presently though.

True also one can be lucky to get easy questions. The whole thing no get manual. The only thing one can do is study and hope for the best and learn from past failures. People fail countless interviews before one big offer.

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Leviack: 9:23am On Feb 23, 2022
Tobedated:
i'm planning on studying computer science in unilorin but it seems the public consensus is that computer science taught in nigeria university is outdated so is it worth the money and time to still study it.
I love computer science but i'm mainly doing it for the money and i'm currently learning python so is it worth going to study it in the university to get the certificate or being self-taught is better

Let me give you my cent as a final year CS undergrad.
The school will expose you to the basics and fundamentals, you are left to figure the rest yourself. Just the concepts across various domains. No lecturer will sit you down and start teaching you the hottest framework in market. Just be solid in a language, and build lots of projects.

Advice based on personal experience:
- Start grinding data structures and algorithm from day 1 in school.
If you sabi number of opportunity wey I don miss because of DSA! I for don dey ball now.
- For practical oriented courses, build projects while taking those courses.
Most students will just learn / cram the language syntax, pour in examination hall and that's all. You can easily add these projects to your CV.
- Explore internship option early. If your algorithm is strong enough, apply to those tech and finance companies outside the country.
- Join your school tech communities, go for hackathon and competitions, etc.
My school is not even among the top 4 federal university in South West and we have decent tech communities.
- Make intelligent friends. You'll understand the crazy things people are doing.
- If you have interest in AI/ML, you are in for long ride. AI/ML has the craziest learning curve. You have to read research papers, publish articles, and so on.
I have a coursemate who is studying DSA for one of FAANG companies AI resident role after scaling through the application phase. His CV is badass, he has a research paper in top AI workshop, lots of projects, more than 4 internship and job experience, lots of community work.

A friend of mine currently have a job that pays above #350k (His first job). I also have a SWE offer, I'm expected to start after graduation. I recently had 2 promising interviews with remote companies, hopefully it comes well.

So, it's not just about the school but how well you can put in work.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by belovez(m): 11:39am On Feb 23, 2022
Iretii0511:
@ belovez, I'm sorry for not replying your mail. I have been a lot busy lately.

Please you can drop your question here and if you aren't comfortable with that, you can drop your Whatsapp, I will reach out. It's easier for me.
cc @ etibaba

Thanks for reaching out to me here, I applied for the current cohort of Decagon, I want to ask some questions about the assesment, this is my WhatsApp number 08104964631.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by The5DME(m): 10:50am On Feb 26, 2022
Leviack:

Let me give you my cent as a final year CS undergrad.
The school will expose you to the basics and fundamentals, you are left to figure the rest yourself. Just the concepts across various domains. No lecturer will sit you down and start teaching you the hottest framework in market. Just be solid in a language, and build lots of projects.

Advice based on personal experience:
- Start grinding data structures and algorithm from day 1 in school.
If you sabi number of opportunity wey I don miss because of DSA! I for don dey ball now.
- For practical oriented courses, build projects while taking those courses.
Most students will just learn / cram the language syntax, pour in examination hall and that's all. You can easily add these projects to your CV.
- Explore internship option early. If your algorithm is strong enough, apply to those tech and finance companies outside the country.
- Join your school tech communities, go for hackathon and competitions, etc.
My school is not even among the top 4 federal university in South West and we have decent tech communities.
- Make intelligent friends. You'll understand the crazy things people are doing.
- If you have interest in AI/ML, you are in for long ride. AI/ML has the craziest learning curve. You have to read research papers, publish articles, and so on.
I have a coursemate who is studying DSA for one of FAANG companies AI resident role after scaling through the application phase. His CV is badass, he has a research paper in top AI workshop, lots of projects, more than 4 internship and job experience, lots of community work.

A friend of mine currently have a job that pays above #350k (His first job). I also have a SWE offer, I'm expected to start after graduation. I recently had 2 promising interviews with remote companies, hopefully it comes well.

So, it's not just about the school but how well you can put in work.
Can a student of applied mathematics follow this advice, if he's planning on entering into the field of software development? There's an elective course in Data structures in 300lvl in my school for applied mathematics students. Seems I'll take that course.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by alterego17: 12:44pm On Feb 28, 2022
pvicky:

I am really interesting in this Google admob. But the problem is issue of trust in Nigeria. I have been scammed before. And this have made me not to trust a lot of people. Are you honest with your words....
Also I can't find your contact details.

Hes a scammer u better beware!
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by vincentallen: 9:55pm On Apr 10, 2022
Babaelemu:
https://musik-player-project.netlify.app/

https://phonebook-storage.netlify.app/

Please review my app it not responsive if viewing on mobile devices you'll have to enable view as desktop site somewhere on your browser setting.

IMO i don't think it a bad idea to go study the course and on other hand do some certifications mind you I'm a forklift driver and i code just for Fun
Mind i ask you few questions about forklift driving, as i'm planning to learn it.
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Saverin: 7:07am On Aug 22, 2022
Hannania:

Tensa is crazy. grin

3yrs wey pikin still dey shout only papa; mama na him he won grind them on DSA. cheesy
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Hannania(m): 7:14am On Aug 22, 2022
Saverin:

Tensa is crazy. grin

3yrs wey pikin still dey shout only papa; mama na him he won grind them on DSA. cheesy
cheesy cheesy zero room for poverty grin
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 07, 2022
SeriouslySense:
What about University of the people, its an online American university and its says its tuition free.

It has computer science, if you are at home still struggling to gain admission, you can just apply and start there, if Nigerian University are not ready to accept you or proving too good. LOL

https://www.uopeople.edu/

Also Saylor academy has free e-material, then i think it has test online that assesses your knowledge and then you can be like a graduate who has being taught the necessary curriculum as a self taught or online student.

Thank you for your contribution.
I have a question concerning this (Saylor academy)
Please is it better going for computer science here or doing it in a Nigerian university?
Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by SeriouslySense(m): 3:02pm On Sep 07, 2022
I dont have all the answers but if i should.

No, you can't do it on Saylor academy, i was referring to their materials and the structure of their curriculum, you can use your free time to study their materials, however, I dont know about Nigerian Universities, and you have to plan your pathway, it could be through some training centers, that offers the chance to study in a good institution outside the country, once you did their training.

However, if you have computer science, its very important to develop the skills in the area of your preference, either online education, or local trainers might be more suitable or a combination of both.

Depending on the skillset, you might find out the best solution for your learning, its up to you.

joshcode:

Thank you for your contribution.
I have a question concerning this (Saylor academy)
Please is it better going for computer science here or doing it in a Nigerian university?

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 08, 2022
SeriouslySense:
I dont have all the answers but if i should.

No, you can't do it on Saylor academy, i was referring to their materials and the structure of their curriculum, you can use your free time to study their materials, however, I dont know about Nigerian Universities, and you have to plan your pathway, it could be through some training centers, that offers the chance to study in a good institution outside the country, once you did their training.

However, if you have computer science, its very important to develop the skills in the area of your preference, either online education, or local trainers might be more suitable or a combination of both.

Depending on the skillset, you might find out the best solution for your learning, its up to you.

Thank you...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch / Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App / Viewing And Creating Reports In Java - Share Ur Experiences

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.