Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,331 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education (6102 Views)

Before You Send Your Daughter Or Sister To A University In Ghana, Must Read / Do You Need A University Education To Be Smart And Intelligent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Musiwa42: 6:57am On Jun 27, 2011
if she is not married, why not, but if she is , you have to think very well.
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by YoruIgbo(m): 7:04am On Jun 27, 2011
Who are all this fake people that posted building? what has building got to do with quality education and quality life? myopic people  grin cheesy How many buildings are there in Imperial University? rubbish
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by ayinba1(f): 7:09am On Jun 27, 2011
U don't know musiwa? The aare mapomeji of NL? grin shocked
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by blackmale(m): 10:00am On Jun 27, 2011
the aunty is very stupid and i think is jelousy, she has 2 options, for real, HAVING A GREEN CARD in the US is a big deal, she should go and claim the green card first, and laer decide whether to stay in 9ja or US,besides age is still on her side to decide where to get her education.
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by mgbungbu: 10:30am On Jun 27, 2011
To me, what is written is written.Her destiny is in the hands of God and not in any man's hand.No one can say absolutely why the Aunt wanted the girl home for university education.It might be born out of good intent and let us exercise cautions in throwing out critics.

Who knows if the girl's attitude is becoming worse over there and they needed to enculture her the more here in naoja. Who knows if God is preparing a way for her down here? Who knows if she is going to meet her soul mate down here in naija? There are so many positive"who knows "questions to ask and I bet you it is uncountable.Only God knows the best plan for her.After all, not everybody in American makes it and her nature and real self may be moulded in a right direction if she studies here.You never can tell. I advise, instead of the young chap seeing this as stumbling block, I encourage she makes the best out of it.

Cheers
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Serendipity: 11:27am On Jun 27, 2011
Yoru_Igbo:

Listen my name is Mr koju-Maribi Ese l'ogun e, tell this so called anty that I say she is a Witch!, Aje(Yoruba) ogbanje or amusu(igbo language) and for the last time please stop comparing a Nigeria private University with any University in Ghana not to talk of USA
The rate at which aspersions are cast on the standard of Nigerian universities, to the extent of comparing them with Ghanaian varsities,  is downright abysmal.
Isn't it indubitable that courses like LAW are better studied in Nigeria. The fact that most of the productive Lawyers we have either studied or had their first degree here in Nigeria bears testimony to the foregoing.

Go to the Nigerian LAW school and see the mediocre performance of those that received the much vaunted high standard of education from Europe, (especially the UK).
A prophet is only despised in his father's land.
The crux of my whole shebang is that our standard has not fallen as such as generalisations want us to believe.
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Thomas333(m): 11:43am On Jun 27, 2011
that is very wrong.we are not schooling here .we just go to school and copy and paste our hand outs. the system is so bad, some bads schools in africa are better than our nigerian best private university,using world rankin to judge.
one advise for the student in question is to fight with is last breath to study in america.that is what will pay him oooo
smart up oooo
i beg u ooooo
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by DeGenius3(m): 12:19pm On Jun 27, 2011
he should better choose the one he will not regret later, wink
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by MPEROR: 2:37pm On Jun 27, 2011
Whose life is it? wetin d pekin want do, nobody is asking that
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by MMM2(m): 3:11pm On Jun 27, 2011
op
even local university in america is better than private universities in 9ja. angry
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by omega25red(m): 3:14pm On Jun 27, 2011
Poster

Just because a person has a chance at getting a green card doesn't mean they have to school in the u.s

why isn't ther person getting the greencard anyway and going to school in Nigeria? it's a win win
satisfy your aunt while having your green card and leaving for the u.s when ever you want
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by phillipe: 3:23pm On Jun 27, 2011
If its a human decision to make and Grab, Let Her Grab the green card (No Hesitation)
But I tell you God Knows best. All she need do is to pray for God's will in her life to come to pass

I am a living testimony, I once missed out on such an opportunity and felt the world was over.
@ Those of you who feel They don't teach well in Nigerian Universities should Please have a rethink. I know Colleges in Yankee are better(No doubt)
but it also depends on the individual. I studied in Nigeria and currently work for a Multinational Telecoms Giant.
i work with seconders and i tell you, i try to slow down for them to catch up.
you don't Get brains in school.

Please Just ask God to direct you decisions
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by nethacker(m): 3:25pm On Jun 27, 2011
make she collect her greencard and move to US, if she stays in 9ja,no form of FAFSA will b available for her.Let's think about it this way,wat if her aunty dies and d babe nvr had d chance to get her greencard per her aunt's instruction?dats a loose/loose situation, if she gets d greencard,she will be eligible for grants n other forms of sponsorship frm the government,at worst,a loan,
but 9ja no get any of these so y stay there?afterall employers no go fancy her bachelors anyway.  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 27, 2011
Nigerians can be hypocrites! The same masses that will virulently condemn private university education because they charge a few hundred thousand naira per annum will be the first to give their blood and treasure to foreign varsities where the annual fees are in multiple millions of naira. Where is the sense, logic and consistency?

You will see folks that will riot over a 10 thousand tuition in federal varsities in naija yet will be the same folks that will work for a few years, save up and spend millions on foreign masters degrees. Why? You will give your blood for education in a foreign land and yet cant give peanuts in your own land? Why not condemn foreign universities for charging so much like you condemn private varsities in Naija who charge peanuts in comparision?

They want world class education but don't want to pay for it (at least in Naija). They are jokers!
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by kennyisaac(m): 3:43pm On Jun 27, 2011
hey peeps
i would like to peep in your conversations as am also rite nw a victim of this circumstances, i fink it depends on your frame of mind and your determination plus focus, i won d american visa lottery last year and am likewise studying law in d obafemi awolowo university, but funny enough, dint fink it twice before i knew i had to shenk ife for america, for the visa interview i had to miss d examination, am stl novice to my plight in the usa, but i know its an opportunity, to be choosen amongst millions of people, in lagos i also got admissions before i went to ife, but i declined cos i dint like the course, i got english from KSU and history and international relations from UNILORIN as a D.E student, but i intentionally did not go, not until i got ife afer years of hard work, so i have a mindset and i'l go for it,
SO THE GIRL IN SUBJECT SHULD ASK HERSLF THIS QUESTION, AM I SET FOR D HURDLE, i'll be leaving very very soon cos i alredy got a d8, and i pray my days be well in JESUS NAME

1 Like

Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 27, 2011
look at it this way
which degree from which nigerian school has any meaning outside nigeria but his degree with a yankee school go open multpile doors in companies for him most especially in nigeria
go get the GC and get yourself a proper education and not one where lecturers,oil workers,transport workers,nuffe or nubiefe(whateva they are called) will go on strike and u will then spend 10 yrs to read a 4 yr course
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by ektbear: 3:47pm On Jun 27, 2011
This aunty sounds like a very evil woman to me.

Fully-funded opportunity to study in the US, and she wants the child to turn that down for staying naija?  undecided

Madness
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by nethacker(m): 3:47pm On Jun 27, 2011
kalokalo:

Nigerians can be hypocrites! The same masses that will virulently condemn private university education because they charge a few hundred thousand naira per annum will be the first to give their blood and treasure to foreign varsities where the annual fees are in multiple millions of naira. Where is the sense, logic and consistency?

You will see folks that will riot over a 10 thousand tuition in federal varsities in naija yet will be the same folks that will work for a few years, save up and spend millions on foreign masters degrees. Why? You will give your blood for education in a foreign land and yet cant give peanuts in your own land? Why not condemn foreign universities for charging so much like you condemn private varsities in Naija who charge peanuts in comparision?

They want world class education but don't want to pay for it (at least in Naija). They are jokers!

in d real sense of it , u r ryt, i totally agree with u. d dilapidated state of our education sector is d reason y employers frown at any degree obtained in 9ja. we pay nothing but want quality. Here in US,even d federal colleges n universities r not cheap at all.this ,i think is because of regulations in place dat supports funding from government. US govt fund their universities thereby giving opportunities to those whose parent earn little n cant afford d college expenses. Back to 9ja context, how do u expect pple to pay dat tuition being charged by private universities when three fifth of the whole population are living below standard while some good-4-nothing and money-gulping  scoundrels sit up there and embezzle d funds meant for education?d minimum wage stands at N18,000 on d national average i think, how d hell do u want an ordinary civil servant to send 3 children to school with just N18,000 ?  shocked shocked . it would hv been a relief if we hv some sort of financial aid /loan frm d govt for students in our tertiary institution. i've seen a lot of peeps here in DC that r sons & daughters of 9ja politicians,howard university is their home. my brother d matter na very complex matter oo, make we jst dey thank God for our own sha.

kennyisaac:

hey peeps
i would like to peep in your conversations as am also rite nw a victim of this circumstances,  i fink it depends on your frame of mind and your determination plus focus, i won d american visa lottery last year and am likewise studying law in d obafemi awolowo university, but funny enough,  dint  fink it twice before i knew i had to shenk ife for america, for the visa interview i had to miss d examination, am stl novice to my plight in the usa, but i know its an opportunity, to be choosen amongst millions of people, in lagos i also got admissions before i went to ife, but i declined cos i dint like the course, i got english from KSU and history and international relations from UNILORIN as a D.E student, but i intentionally did not go, not until i got ife afer years of hard work, so i have a mindset and i'l go for it,
 SO THE GIRL IN SUBJECT SHULD ASK HERSLF THIS QUESTION, AM I SET FOR D HURDLE, i'll be leaving very very soon cos i alredy got a d8, and i pray my days be well in JESUS NAME
congrats brother.welcome aboard  grin grin grin
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by shirleyz: 4:17pm On Jun 27, 2011
Guyz, this is not about badmouthing nigeria, the plain truth is that our universities here in nigeria are mostly crap. I say this cos a lot of nigerians learn most of the skills they need to work after school. whereas when you see a graduate from even the universities in Ghana, they are better than a lot of nigerian graduates @ the workplace. This is the plain truth as i have experienced it times without number @ my place of work. Even for those that go to private universities some of them are not better off with all the money they spend on their education.
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by nethacker(m): 4:50pm On Jun 27, 2011
shirleyz:

Guyz, this is not about badmouthing nigeria, the plain truth is that our universities here in nigeria are mostly crap. I say this cos a lot of nigerians learn most of the skills they need to work after school. whereas when you see a graduate from even the universities in Ghana, they are better than a lot of nigerian graduates @ the workplace. This is the plain truth as i have experienced it times without number @ my place of work. Even for those that go to private universities some of them are not better off with all the money they spend on their education.
u r very ryt, now let me giv u a scenario in d area of IT. do u knw 85% of the skills needed to be successful in IT are learnt on d job where as some schools abroad focus on those things u will do @ work. some1 majoring in network administration will be taught all necessary things needed to excel wen he/she gets to d environment.this will enable employers b confident abt not spending too much money training pple b4 getting d job done, i dnt even knw where to start wen it comes to 9ja education.i dey always get headache embarassed cry
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 27, 2011
nethacker:

in d real sense of it , u r ryt,  i totally agree with u. d dilapidated state of our education sector is d reason y employers frown at any degree obtained in 9ja. we pay nothing but want quality. Here in US,even d federal colleges n universities r not cheap at all.this ,i think is because of regulations in place dat supports funding from government. US govt fund their universities thereby giving opportunities to those whose parent earn little n cant afford d college expenses. Back to 9ja context, how do u expect pple to pay dat tuition being charged by private universities when three fifth of the whole population are living below standard while some good-4-nothing and money-gulping  scoundrels sit up there and embezzle d funds meant for education?d minimum wage stands at N18,000 on d national average i think, how d hell do u want an ordinary civil servant to send 3 children to school with just N18,000 ?  shocked shocked . it would hv been a relief if we hv some sort of financial aid /loan frm d govt for students in our tertiary institution. i've seen a lot of peeps here in DC that r sons & daughters of 9ja politicians,howard university is their home. my brother d matter na very complex matter oo, make we jst dey thank God for our own sha.

First off, we don't seem to understand that a minimum wage job isn't a job for family men and women with dependents. Even if it is, a person earning minimum wage has no business having 3 kids. If only we realize that we have it relatively good compared to those abroad

In the US, people go to college thru financial aid, scholarships, loans and many people work full/part time doing odd jobs to survive college. How many Nigerians in naija are willing to do security guard, wash cars, tutor or just do anything legit to pay for school? I did and I paid my way thru school in addition to loans and financial aid. How can we value naija education when it didn't cost us blood? We have bursary in Naija and federal and state scholarship boards.
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by shirleyz: 4:55pm On Jun 27, 2011
@ netha, , i am glad you understand its not about badmouthing naija, no employer is ready to spend all the company money in training their staff. but what do you expect if our federal govt dont give a damn about our education, half baked graduates is what naija will produce, @ poster US education for the lady abeg o.
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 27, 2011
shirleyz:

You mentioned that universities in Ghana are better than those of Nigeria; yet you failed to mention that going to university in Ghana will cost you at least 2 million naira per annum. Why won't they be better? How much is charged for university education in Naija? N10000 per session? You will always get what you pay for.

Ghana is a serious nation that charges serious money for university education and their citizens are willing to pay for it. Something that Nigerians will never be willing to do! Why you're at it, why not compare UK education to Naija, and find out how much their citizens are paying for the world class education they have!
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jun 27, 2011
Travelling is part of education and this is missing in some educated Nigerians. When it comes to education there is no much to write home about in Nigerian system.  Many of the lecturers can't spell correctly not to mention taking a hard core field project or finding answer to advanced technology!

We don't even have a curriculum − Nigerians are not educated to face the real world nor to serve the community but for the pride of having the certificate and oppressing the people!
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by ayinba1(f): 6:57pm On Jun 27, 2011
Just trying to be ope minded about things. I had my university education in Nigeria but i believe that the standards have declined since then. Thanks for all your input. I just wondered if i was biased in thinking the aunty is a winch. I guess majority of the response are like minds. grin
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by stunna2(m): 7:00pm On Jun 27, 2011
Serendipity:

The rate at which aspersions are cast on the standard of Nigerian universities, to the extent of comparing them with Ghanaian varsities,  is downright abysmal.
Isn't it indubitable that courses like LAW are better studied in Nigeria. The fact that most of the productive Lawyers we have either studied or had their first degree here in Nigeria bears testimony to the foregoing.

Go to the Nigerian LAW school and see the mediocre performance of those that received the much vaunted high standard of education from Europe, (especially the UK).
A prophet is only despised in his father's land.
The crux of my whole shebang is that our standard has not fallen as such as generalisations want us to believe.

it takes 8 years of university education in places like Canada to get a Law degree, how long does it take in Nigeria
in other words, you must 1st have an under graduate degree of at least four years before going to a graduate law school for another four years,

so, just curious, how is it in naija??
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by stunna2(m): 7:16pm On Jun 27, 2011
actually, i do not believe anyone in their right mind is trying to compare Nigerian universities - private or not - to american universities, now r they?? lolz

Nigerians can be very clueless sometimes, believing their own hype! the only ranking that matters is the international ranking done by neutral bodies, not stupid pics posted on NL

a lady friend gives me her nieces school name so i can go check her at her new school here and when i looked up the school, it was a high school (secondary school down the road from me!
i told the lady its a boarding secondary school n i will not be able to go there, she was like, no no no, she finished secondary school in naija 2 years ago! i laughed and assured her that her niece was back in secondary school here, she would have lots of problems in university here if she did not bring her standard up to those of high school kids here!

she should take the green card
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by LFJ: 7:31pm On Jun 27, 2011
kalokalo:

First off, we don't seem to understand that a minimum wage job isn't a job for family men and women with dependents. Even if it is, a person earning minimum wage has no business having 3 kids. If only we realize that we have it relatively good compared to those abroad

In the US, people go to college thru financial aid, scholarships, loans and many people work full/part time doing odd jobs to survive college. How many Nigerians in naija are willing to do security guard, wash cars, tutor or just do anything legit to pay for school? I did and I paid my way thru school in addition to loans and financial aid. How can we value naija education when it didn't cost us blood? We have bursary in Naija and federal and state scholarship boards. 

I think the situations in Nigeria are more complex than the way you are seeing it. Your argument would have been perfectly in order if there are reasonable job opportunities for our talents and able hands. Do you know the numbers of graduate who are forced to take minimum wage job in the absence of job opportunity in Nigeria?

Nigerians, who are doing security guard and washing cars abroad, are doing it as part of the sacrifice for seeking for better opportunities out of their domain. Educations don’t need to cost you fortune or your blood before you value or appreciate it. Education to me should be a right to those who are willing, and the government should provide such opportunities either through free education, scholarship, financial aid or soft loan. Even in US, the kids of those who receive minimum wages are not denied the privilege to education except you are not a citizen or residence. And for your information, our Federal and State Scholarship board are there for the interest of powerful.

And for the postal, advice you friend to take that opportunity, America is a land of opportunities, with your green card, you have the opportunity without crying to any family for assistance to go to school, information is the key.
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by stunna2(m): 7:32pm On Jun 27, 2011
kalokalo:

you are right in your argument except you  have missed the whole reason why people are willing to pay millions for an american degree but protest at paying a few thousand for naija ones, and therefore you have missed the point

get it into your head, Nigeria does not have world class education system! period! so people are willing to pay millions for a world class degree but very rational in refusing to pay same for what they know to be mostly worthless outside of naija, which is what ur degrees mostly are, but i know its very hash for u to believe this or know this if u have never left naija; never mind step into an advanced educational institution outside of naija, but its the truth, k
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by ada24: 7:40pm On Jun 27, 2011
ha ha ha - I have to laugh at the question the poster asked, I haven't read all the replies but I will say this, I think we all have relatives like this auntie, should she stay or go - ask this aunt if her own children won green card lottery if she would advise her OWN children to stay in Nigeria or go to America to get a university education. Before u even wait for the answer she is already at MMA with that said child with probably one way ticket.

Nonsense - why can't enemies of progress realise that the only progress they are stopping is their own - KARMA!!

1 Like

Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 27, 2011
if she can afford to send her to the US for school, that is where she should go.
Re: Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education by ayinba1(f): 8:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
ada24:

ha ha ha - I have to laugh at the question the poster asked, I haven't read all the replies but I will say this, I think we all have relatives like this auntie, should she stay or go - ask this aunt if her own children won green card lottery if she would advise her OWN children to stay in Nigeria or go to America to get a university education. Before u even wait for the answer she is already at MMA with that said child with probably one way ticket.

Nonsense - why can't enemies of progress realise that the only progress they are stopping is their own - KARMA!!

Deep!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice Pls: This Married Man Sends Me Money But Doesn't Want Sex. / Friendship With Opposite Sex After Marriage / Boy Of 13 Becomes A Dad!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.