Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,315 members, 7,780,762 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:28 PM

What Does Computer Networking Entail? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Does Computer Networking Entail? (8592 Views)

Learn Computer Networking / Computer Networking / Need A Seminar/project Topic On Computer Networking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Computer Networking Entail? by EJaja(m): 10:46am On Feb 17, 2006
i want to be a network Guru when it comes to IT,  but  i am a beginner and i do not were to start from what is the first thing i should do in this direction of achieving this dream. kiss
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 17, 2006
Networking is fxcking wide, man, grin

Think of this: connecting two or more computers in a variety of ways and supporting the various technologies required for them to exchange data; ensuring that the informatioin is always sent to the specified destination, making sure there is no conflict of interest, and ensuring that no particular system monopolises the connection resources.

Scenarios: comm. between PC to PC in an office
comm btw a satellite and a dish
joining a 5-PC cluster of computers in seattle to a 20-PC cluster in ikeja
(beleive it or not) browsing with your phone
sending email from yahoo to <unsuspecting sucker> grin
, and lots more
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by sbucareer(f): 12:04am On Feb 18, 2006

E-jaja, there are two types of Network gurus. One is the Network Engineer and the Second is Network support/Assistant either one, you'd need a specialized certification and experience to do them.

Look at it this way, without network Engineers or assistant  they won't be programmers or database guru or any IT application. If you are looking at supporting LAN you will need Microsoft certification(s) i.e. MCP/MCSE. On the other hand if you need to Engineer MAN/WAN networks you need CCNA certification.

If you are justing beginning networking career, I would advice you to first learn how to build PC install software and trouble shoot at least window 95, ME and 2000. These will lead you to acquiring A+ and go into other branches of networking career.

As an engineer like Gridlock said you need to understand your cabling i.e. copper wires, fiber optic, UTP, STP and how much bandwidth each one is allowable?

Good Luck.

Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Maxflame(m): 12:58pm On Feb 18, 2006
sbucareer:

Look at it this way, without network Engineers or assistant they won't be programmers or database guru or any IT application.

That is soo not true. The IT industry is wider than you can imagine. I do VFX and 3d animation and networking is not that essential. The R&grin(research and development) department are made up of programmers who develop softwares and tools for our kind of work. Saying everything IT is based on networking is too far fetched.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Hunter(m): 1:29pm On Feb 18, 2006
Have to say that I agree with the other people, your going to need to be more specific in what you want to know :-)
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by sbucareer(f): 11:53pm On Feb 18, 2006
maxflame:
That is soo not true. The IT industry is wider than you can imagine. I do VFX and 3d animation and networking is not that essential. The R&grin(research and development) department are made up of programmers who develop softwares and tools for our kind of work. Saying everything IT is based on networking is too far fetched.

Can you define IT/IS for me please?

IT/IS, means Information Technology/Information System. Please I would appreciate your definition or understanding towards IT/IS, which is what IT (information Technology is all about?

I have said to myself I will stop arguing on this forum, but if you think that information system is not supported by Information technology then I would like to hear your view.

My understanding of information technology is network engineers pushing hard for new ideas/theories to help information system runs smoothly.  When I read your understanding of IT/IS then I will provide academic papers and literature to back my saying that Network Engineers makes everything happen in IT.

Before commenting you should research who are the IEEE
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by oasis: 3:43am On Feb 19, 2006
A computer network is two or more computers that can share information.

The smallest network is two computers that can exchange data, while the largest network is the Internet.

What is your reason for asking this broad question?

Do you like to read?  Use www.wikipedia.org, www.webopedia.com
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Maxflame(m): 9:59am On Feb 19, 2006
sbucareer:

without network Engineers or assistant they won't be programmers or database guru or any IT application.

The word in bold shouldn't be in that statement. Thats what i was after. When i use the word IT i think of it as everything computer related since the definition of a computer is a device that processes raw data into information.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by sbucareer(f): 1:44pm On Feb 19, 2006

I am sorry, none of you guys are defining IT (information Technology) for me. Forget what is Network for now? I want definition of IT.

The word in bold shouldn't be in that statement. Thats what i was after. When i use the word IT i think of it as everything computer related since the definition of a computer is a device that processes raw data into information.

I will still stand by my statement that without network Engineers or assistant  they won't be programmers or database guru or any IT application. .

You will have to disprove me. I need someone to define Information Technology for me.  When we have the definition we can then go into what is network/software and which branch of the IT industry supports which one?

The answers are staring you in your eyes, open it and see.  Also to help you out. You can define Network Engineer/support Assistant. You will see that my claim for without network Engineers or assistant  they won't be programmers or database guru or any IT application. will hold.

Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Maxflame(m): 2:15pm On Feb 19, 2006
OK here goes.

Includes all matters concerned with the furtherance of computer science and technology and with the design, development, installation, and implementation of information systems and applications [San Diego State University].

A term that encompasses all forms of technology used to create, store, exchange and utilize information in its various forms including business data, conversations, still images, motion pictures and multimedia presentations.

The term "IT" encompasses the methods and techniques used in information handling and retrieval by automatic means. The means include computers, telecommunications and office systems or any combination of these elements.

Technologies based on the use of computers and other integrated circuits to process data and produce information.

Had enough? Now lets go back to were we stopped.

sbucareer:

Look at it this way, without network Engineers or assistant they won't be programmers or database guru or any IT application.

Let me say it again.

Now sbucareer is saying without Network Engineers or assistants softwares like Adobe photoshop, Microsoft word, and even the Microsoft Operating system, Mac OSX, Linux won't exist so Network Engineers are the pioneers and creators of anything IT. Lets give him a big round of applause shall we.

sbucareer its very simple and straight forward, remove programmers from the list coz there is a difference between the general term Programmers and the programmers involved in creating internets/database applications.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by sbucareer(f): 3:17pm On Feb 19, 2006

Thanks for that lecture maxflame, now you have touched every part of IT in correlation to Network Engineers, let me define Network Engineer for you and their tasks in modern information technology.

"A network engineer is responsible for the planning, design, and implementation of Local and Wide Area Networks (LANs and WANs). Network engineers usually design and implement large heterogeneous networks, and are required to have significant expertise in designing and administering network hardware and software from vendors like Microsoft, Cisco Systems, Nortel Networks, and CheckPoint. "

The above definition is taken from a google search. Here is my definition of information technology. Computer is part of information technology, but not the same as information technology. Traditionally, computing applications were concerned with the routine processing of raw data to provide basic information. Such computing activities were concerned with structured and alogorithmic data processing. Therefore, the definition of information technology (IT) includes all aspects of computing, integrated with technological development in networking and telecommunications technology.

Information technology involves understanding that computer systems are no longer isolated from other computer system.

Now to my claim, that without Network Engineer we will not have programmers? Without the invention of PC will a programmer see where to write his code or compile it? Infact IT supports IS. Because of the power of our Engineers either Network/hardware engineers, these people has paved the way for us to enjoy the richness of Information System.

If you must know, engineers are people that build things not necessary inventors but they put the ideas of inventor into a hardware. Most engineers are also inventors.

If you were wondering what is IS (information System). An information system (IS) is a set of inter-related parts that are integrated to handle, store and process data that is in turn transmitted and disseminated to individuals (or groups) within the business organisation to provide information for decision making.  A typical individual could be a programmer
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Maxflame(m): 4:29pm On Feb 19, 2006
All what you just wrote did not defend anything coz you ended up saying Engineers are the root being that they invented the computer. Engineer is another technological term which is still broad and Networking Engineers fall in that category. Dudes that work in silicon valley creating the processors for computers are engineers but not Networking Engineers so your claim is still wrong.

sbucareer:

Information technology involves understanding that computer systems are no longer isolated from other computer system.

Now you just screwed yourself in the arse. The statement above defines IT as a sub category in the general computing world. Programmers is also a subcatergory but higher above the chart coz IT needs them. Let me make it very simple for you and the rest of the forum reading this.

Programmers can survive withouth IT coz there are other parts of the Computing world for them to still work. It can't survive without programmers to build their applications.

I rest my case.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by sbucareer(f): 5:21pm On Feb 19, 2006

Maxflame, your choice of words are insulting and appalling for me to continue this intellectual debate with you.

In future try and learn constructive or academic debate before rendering your outlook on a public medium.

I find no further interest to this discussion as your debate is cluttered with insolence. Keep your knowledge and let me keep mine.

Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Maxflame(m): 5:31pm On Feb 19, 2006
Sorry about that. embarassed
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by pajimoh(m): 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2006
IT means Information Technology.
what more do you wish to know?
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Farriel(m): 11:52am On Feb 27, 2006
Sorry sbucareer, for the way that Maxflame has gone on with his debate.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Maxflame(m): 1:36pm On Feb 27, 2006
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by sbucareer(f): 1:39pm On Feb 27, 2006

Thanks Farriel, I was really looking forward to MaxFlame and I to battle around the ring of knowledge and fight for it. His choices of word lead me to expel myself from the topic, as I am easily angered, especially with words.  Anyway thanks Farriel.

Like I said, Network Engineer like the IEEE are responsible for inventing and manufacturing hardware equipments and setting standards that governs all theses hardware like the OSI suit, IPv6, Internet, VOIP, SIP, etc these people provides the basic foundation that everything else sits.

The OS sits on top of hardware with ASM to interact with the hardware in electrical/voltage level.  This hardware are chips, valves, resistors, capacitors and some routine coordination. Depending the amount of current you pass through a valve will make a chip to response differently.

You must have known what is Logic Gate (circuit/component) A digital circuit with one or more inputs, and an output which depends logically on the input signal combinations.

This hardware’s are invented by Engineer and standardized by IEEE (Institution of Electrical Electronic Engineering). Even the world giant software producer like Microsoft has liase with IEEE to know the new technological state hardware’s are before writing new OS. No need of Writing 64bits OS architecture that the chip will not support.

My argument is that, Engineers either the network side or hardware side make things to happen in IS (Information System). You cannot tell me that you could write application that sends text messages through SMS without the invention of Mobile phone/Handset device?

In my work place we respect the networking guys because they can bring total disorder to the network, hence we cannot program anymore. Database need hardware to install itself i.e. HD (Hard Drive) and it need lots of it for Enterprise Level. Programmer needs a VDU (Monitor), keyboard, mouse, entire base system to install IDE and language specific program like C/C++ or Java, before he can ever dream of writing any meaningful program.

I would like people to challenge me constructively, as I maybe wrong and we can all learn from it.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Farriel(m): 2:58pm On Feb 27, 2006
Max, which one be huh?  tongue

By the way, sbucareer, don't mention it,
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Maxflame(m): 5:36pm On Feb 27, 2006
Fine i must have been an ass whip. tongue The simple correction i was trying to imply was that you should just scrap out the Network from the Network Engineer you mentioned earlier coz Network Engineers still fall under Engineering and not on thesame level. Look at it this way, You can say humans can't survive without rice, you say human beings can't survive without food. Now lemme relate this food talk to our arguement.

Without Network Engineers/assistants there won't be programmers or database gurus or any IT applications.
Without rice humans cannot quench their thirst or hunger.

Now i'm only saying you should remove programmers from the list coz not all programmers program for networking applications and if you want to replace Networking Engineers with Just Engineers it would be out of context coz the original poser only wants to know what computer networking was about and you going all the way to tell me the makeup of a micro chip just to prove a point about how IT rules everything is kinda far fetched don't you think?
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by ojd(m): 2:23am On Mar 24, 2006
I am just coming across this thread 2day and I find it quite interesting and educative as well. But why has there not been any new posts since february?
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 24, 2006
because the thread is dead, heheheheh grin grin grin
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by ojd(m): 10:32pm On Mar 24, 2006
Na wah oooo, but dats too bad I was actually learning something 4rm dis sad
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Typewriter(m): 1:45pm On Mar 25, 2006
back to the post

networking entails making two independent or more divices to work/communicate seamlessly or shamelessly to bring about desired out put
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by sbucareer(f): 9:12am On Mar 27, 2006

"Typewriter":

networking entails making two independent or more divices to work/communicate seamlessly  or shamelessly to bring about desired out put

I respect your definition of Computer Networking, If your definition holds, then I would like my independent computer to seamlessy bring about desired output, which is to make me win British National Lottery.

You see that your definition now has got k-leg. You definition do not cover all the necessary aspect of the network terminology, which has got to include seamlessly about linking of a number of devices, such as computers, workstations, printers, and AV(Audio Visual equipment) gear into a network (system) for the purpose of sharing network resources Also you have to include that the computers are at remote locations and uses internet, extranet, intranet using some sort of communication protocol i.e. TCP, NETBEUI, IPX, SMTP, SIP, POP, IMAP etc to communicate to each other.

Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Typewriter(m): 6:01pm On Mar 27, 2006
well my boy am not here to spoon feed your types. i would have posted the entire text book on network or better still bring the network peripherals/Accessories to your house in order to make u see the full definition of Network
why do people like u always want to bring people down? you don't have to do that to prove Ur point or person, it's uncalled for, not here not now. this is a forum which mains a place for intellectual debate and understanding for the development of the minds and community of users/members. and there for superman attitude should be in check as there is no competition here.

well for a start the word "Entail" means  involve, or imply as a necessary accompaniment to a condition, or a consequence: carry, involve. necessary start/end. and the word necessary can also mean essential which is not the same as[b] all inclusive[/b] OK?

i just gave an insight (what the question asked "entail"wink thats all. but here u are trying so hard to make me a fool with a K leg well sorry its you sense of reasoning that bring about that. Now that you have the almighty definitions or formula, why the hell did you omit Cables and other medium of transmistions?

now tell me the difference btw  my definition and yours at lest my has "seamlessly  or shamelessly " but if what u need is British National Lottery. you don't need much of network to do that! you can "shamelessly" apply for it on-line and pray that you win its a "lottery" which means that we all know that the desired result is 50: 50 either way network is fulfilled capish?
mark u most definations are never definat as it may change from time to time, eg all those protocols u listed may be disfuntiona by future inovation and what happens to your defination? yes your guess is as good as my (it becomes a wrong defination abi)

Nigerian are funny set of people: my dear chief, Dr. prof,prophet senator guru, sbucareer[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color] perfect master in view by the special grace of God

you see what i mean long titles but small brains! oh what a waste of time and resources

of all u mis spelled Ur name sbucareer  or sub career
in any case it makes no logical sense and do not belong to standard English use(rs)

For better understanding of the word entail see below:

The noun entail has one meaning:

Meaning #1: land received by fee tail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The verb entail has 2 meanings:

Meaning #1: have as a logical consequence
  Synonyms: imply, mean

Meaning #2: impose, involve, or imply as a necessary accompaniment or result
  Synonym: implicate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American History
Entail

This is the name given to the legal status of a landed estate when its ownership is restricted through inheritance to biological descendants of the original grantee in order to maintain its size. Originally practiced in New York and the South, entail was abolished, along with primogeniture (inheritance by only the eldest son), throughout the United States before 1800. The practice of protecting large estates through restrictions on inheritance was brought from England, but owing to the vast abundance of available rich land in America, workers and tenants could obtain their own land, and large holdings became less profitable. Also, descendants of landowners could turn to the challenge of earning even greater wealth through their own efforts, and inheritance of large holdings was no longer the major path to wealth.

Abolition of entail and primogeniture was part of a general reform movement that included the grant to married women of the right to control their own property and the disestablishment of churches.

See also Primogeniture.

Wikipedia
entailment
This article is about logical implication. For the historical legal practice of restricting the descent of property, see fee tail.

Implication or entailment is used in propositional logic and predicate logic to describe a relationship between two sentences or sets of sentences.

Semantic Implication

states that the set A of sentences semantically entails the set B of sentences.

Formal definition: the set A entails the set B if and only if, in every model in which all sentences in A are true, all sentences in B are also true. In diagram form, it looks like this:

We need the definition of entailment to demand that every model of A must also be a model of B because a formal system like a knowledge base can't possibly know the interpretations which a user might have in mind when they ask whether a set of facts (A) entails a proposition (B).

In pragmatics (linguistics), entailment has a different, but closely related, meaning.

If  for a formula X then X is said to be "valid" or "tautological".

Logical Implication

states that the set A of sentences logically entails the set B of sentences. It can be read as "B can be proven from A".

Definition: A logically entails B if, by assuming all sentences in A and applying a finite sequence of inference rules to them (for example, those from propositional calculus), one can derive all sentences in B.

This is, of course, relative to a specific logic (proof calculus). In cases where multiple logics are under discussion, it may be useful to put a subscript on the  symbol.

Relationship between Semantic and Logical Implication
Ideally, semantic implication and logical implication would be equivalent. However, this may not always be feasible. (See Gödel's incompleteness theorem, which states that some languages (such as arithmetic) contain true but unprovable sentences.) In such a case, it is useful to break the equivalence down into its two parts:

A deductive system S is complete for a language L if and only if  implies : that is, if all valid arguments are provable.

A deductive system S is sound for a language L if and only if  implies : that is, if no invalid arguments are provable.

Relationship with Material Implication
In many cases, entailment corresponds to material implication: that is,  if and only if  . However, this is not true in some many-valued logics.

Now U know what time it is
Yeah go to bed
I will wake u when its November!!! grin grin grin
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by oasis: 7:25pm On Mar 27, 2006
I respect your definition of Computer Networking, If your definition holds, then I would like my independent computer to seamlessy bring about desired output, which is to make me win British National Lottery.

You're correct. That definition is weak at best.

1. A definition should not assume somebody already knows what is being defined.
2. A definition should not include the terms being defined. E.g., you can't use computer networking in it's own definition.
3. A definition should be succinct, but accurate. Otherwise, it becomes an explanation.

The phrase desired out put doesn't tell anybody anything, because it's ambigious.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 27, 2006
Will u guys stop the freaking argument? angry
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by oasis: 9:18pm On Mar 27, 2006
@Gridlock

We're sharing knowledge. Why does that bother you so much?
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 27, 2006
Sounds like a war to me! at some point some statements atarted to sound - well - like they were questioning the other person's intelligence.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by oasis: 10:31pm On Mar 27, 2006
Yep, you're correct. You have to challenge the other person to have a meaningful discussion. I don't believe in mushy dialogs where the participants are afraid to disagree.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by sbucareer(f): 9:10am On Mar 28, 2006

Typewriter, for your information I am NOT a professor and do not claim in any form in Nairaland to be a guru or Know all. Just that I have been involved in IT/ICT for at most 20 odd years. That has helped me to acquire some little knowledge in respect to IT, that is all.

I don't know why you are tightening your fist? Are you looking to fight or do you want to learn and understand from other people NOT necessary brilliant people than you but those that their argument seem to make sense.

I am very very sorry if my correction offended you this dipply. I must say that your Networking definition is very weak, since the topic of the thread was Networking. I thought I'd point out some few errors in your definition NOT to start another war. I am very sorry for that I will NEVER correct you again in future.

For your information, I do not know anything. I am just a guy trying to survive in IT and learn from people and try to share my little knowledge with people that will endorse my idea(s).

Sorry, I did not read your English Language theories about Entail I find it unnecessary and lengthy. sbucareer this is how I found it.

I went to South Bank University, now it has changed to London South Bank University. After my second year I went to work placement as a partial fulfillment for student on sandwich programme, hence 4 years study.

I was applying for jobs and my current email then gflex@hotmail.com was allways full of junk. If you must know gflex came about Game Flexibility as I play lots of games then, and my online handle was gflex.

Coming back to sbucareer, I decided to open sbucareer as gflex was full of junk emails. I want to be able to open my email and know straight away that the email I got was work related mails NOT junk.  As I was at South Bank University then, I decided to use sbu= S[/b]outh [b]B[/b]ank [b]U[/b]niversity acronym and add it to [b]career since I am looking for a career job. That is how I came about sbucareer user name.

I did not need to tell you this or anyone for that matter, but lately many people have asked me what does it mean now you all have it.

Finally, sorry again for correcting you it will never happen again I promise. Have a niceday.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Laptop Prices In Nigeria / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway / Starcomms iboost- A Software Meant To Greatly Increase Internet Surf Speed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.