Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment (39301 Views)

How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) / What Is The Weirdest Rule A Landlady/Landlord Has Ever Given You? / Please Help. My Apartment Is Being Haunted By A Ghost. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by excanny: 8:45pm On Feb 23, 2022
Why don't you get a carpenter to put back the roof?
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Bishop(m): 8:46pm On Feb 23, 2022
Baitullah:
Stay strong brother. May God see you true.

Meanwhile, one idiot just opened a thread seeking the fastest and painless way to commit suicide

Your Landlord can write to you 6 months before the expiration of your rent to notify you that he or she has no intention to renew your rent.

When you fail to move, he gets a notice of removal /recovery of property.

Your landlord has used the gangster method, you can fight it, but your landlord also knows that you can't because you don't have the financial muscle.

Yoruba will say"gba fun olorun"

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Irishrena1(f): 8:47pm On Feb 23, 2022
stagger:

Forget this talk. I have had a landlord who sent thugs to my business premises to chase out my clients physically because I paid him 80% of his rent when due at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. The man's father is a retired general.

But I change am for the man that day. The man thought that my coolness over the 7 years I was his tenant in that structure meant weakness. He saw madness of the first order. He thought he is the only one that has military people in his family.

Sending thugs to your business tenant of 7 years? The man crossed the line that day and he never believed he would see what he saw. Our matter was eventually settled by the DSS.

By the time I was leaving the place, the man will see me on the road and take a detour.

So you can't deduce that your case is fair game and you had every reason to win that case. 50-80% part payment, agreeing to complete it in a near future was fair

You see this case, the landlord already issued quit before now prolly because something was not right and from all indications, the op has no plan (albeit due to no fault of his because he lost his job) to give the landlord shishi even if its one months rent. He just wants to use quit notice issue to drag and drag and drag till the landlord regrets knowing him.

Don't worry, when you build and rent, you'll know how it feels. But don't lead this person to his destruction for now

4 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Irishrena1(f): 8:48pm On Feb 23, 2022
Newboss:

He said his rent has not expired. Rental agreement is a contract. The landlord cannot just pull out without consequences.

The landlord should have waited for his rent to expire

You better ask this op question very well. Ask well well well, you'll find what you need to know.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by benson81(m): 8:49pm On Feb 23, 2022
yemite100:
I made a post about a month ago on Nairaland about my landlord. He gave me a quit notice when my rent is yet to due, we have not been in good terms, I was rest assured that I still have three months left so no need to panic.

I got home now and saw carpenters removing the roof of my apartment with two abled young men which I haven't seen their face before, the roof of my apartment has been removed now.
A quit notice can be issued 6 months to expiration of rent.i wonder where Nigerians got the notion that quit notice can be issued only after expiration of rent.go and get a lawyer to brief you properly.im not excusing the action of the landlord though he went overboard.
I went to the nearby station to lodge a complain but I was told the man had come earlier, and told the police has giving me quit notice that he wants to renovate his house.

It's really a hard time for me and my siblings, getting a quick accomodation. He never informed us of renovating the apartment, I just lost my job last week and this is happening to me again.

My life is in a mess right now as I don't know where to start from, this is just a challenge for me and I will stay stronger and fight this battle till the end, probably God is preparing me for a better place ahead....
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by emmanuelbrown26: 8:49pm On Feb 23, 2022
yemite100:
I made a post about a month ago on Nairaland about my landlord. He gave me a quit notice when my rent is yet to due, we have not been in good terms, I was rest assured that I still have three months left so no need to panic.

I got home now and saw carpenters removing the roof of my apartment with two abled young men which I haven't seen their face before, the roof of my apartment has been removed now.

I went to the nearby station to lodge a complain but I was told the man had come earlier, and told the police has giving me quit notice that he wants to renovate his house.

It's really a hard time for me and my siblings, getting a quick accomodation. He never informed us of renovating the apartment, I just lost my job last week and this is happening to me again.

My life is in a mess right now as I don't know where to start from, this is just a challenge for me and I will stay stronger and fight this battle till the end, probably God is preparing me for a better place ahead....
U didn't even state d location, and are u a yearly tenant?
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Baitullah: 8:50pm On Feb 23, 2022
Miroslavv:

Let him slit his wrist and die in silent agony...
Badass suggestion grin
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Baitullah: 8:50pm On Feb 23, 2022
OBALOLA55:
AMIN
I sight you bro. Thanks
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by naija4life247: 8:51pm On Feb 23, 2022
DoggoneDogg:
Hahahaha grin grin cheesy cheesy
Afonja una nor go kill me

Just as he killed your parents?
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Irishrena1(f): 8:52pm On Feb 23, 2022
Newboss:

He said his rent has not expired. Rental agreement is a contract. The landlord cannot just pull out without consequences.

The landlord should have waited for his rent to expire

That's how some argue in my house that their rent is remaining one month but when you count it, you'll find they count a year's rent as for instance, January-January instead of January 1st to December 31st

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by vertueptime: 8:53pm On Feb 23, 2022
Not all, some tenants and also deceitful and want to stay awuf

abobote:
Some landlords are heartless
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by vertueptime: 8:55pm On Feb 23, 2022
Why lie? Is it not the man's house? That's why good relation ship matters, my dad left his tenant for 4yrs after he lost his job, because while he was working he normally pays on time and even established a good relationship, now it has paid of.

AutoChick4U:
Start shouting where's my 5million my uncle gave me. Drag him to court for stealing ur 5m

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by West2019(m): 8:55pm On Feb 23, 2022
chukwuibuipob:
He should borrow phone and snap N show us the receipt ,the roof. Trust me,if the house dey Lagos apart from Agege,mushin,okoko, Ajegunle grin(E get why) I'll personally visit the landlord.Let him pm the address/tell us here.I hate nonsense and lies.No landlord have right to remove Ur roof since Ur rent Neva expire.U can still enjoy free 3/6 months free
you are very correct bro

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by brownemmanuel43(m): 8:57pm On Feb 23, 2022
yemite100:

Eyaaaa, please where exactly is your location?
We're u served a quit notice?
Are u a yearly tenant? Pls reply bcs your location would determine d kind of help I will render
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Blackdisciple(m): 8:57pm On Feb 23, 2022
Na landlords go plenty pass for hell fire followed by F.E.M.A.L.E.S....

Mine is already increasing house rent but e never reach me and one other guy yet , because the rest of the new tenants pays new money he increased and em don already add for one girl who happens to be an old tenant like me here, I just dey fear Sha.....

But I will be money and will not hesitate to erect a building walai so i can stay away from landlord wahala...

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by chukwuibuipob: 8:58pm On Feb 23, 2022
grin sad we are watching
BigYash:
Who else noticed that op didn't respond to people asking him to post the pics of the roof removed? Na only account number wen dem ask am ,he see and responded to. Nairaland home of scammers undecided
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Perfecttouchade: 8:59pm On Feb 23, 2022
Everybody just dey do anyhow for this country, normal people doN scarce grin cheesy cheesy ..let's give u a perfect Touch with our aluminium fabrication,windows,doors, railings all well fabricated and quality delivery, just check us out..
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Tomigyer(m): 9:01pm On Feb 23, 2022
[quote author=yemite100 post=110477387]I made a post about a month ago on Nairaland about my landlord. He gave me a quit notice when my rent is yet to due, we have not been in good terms, I was rest assured that I still have three months left so no need to panic.

My life is in a mess right now as I don't know where to start from, this is just a challenge for me and I will stay stronger and fight this battle till the end, probably God is preparing me for a better place ahead...

Yoruba landlords are fond of this conduct of harassing tenants for just no reason.
Talking from experience.
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Shalommy(f): 9:02pm On Feb 23, 2022
Bluntguy:

To be forewarned is to be forearmed. I have long realized that being an alpha male starts and stops where Nigerian girls dey. No be for another man thing o. Wish I could help.
Sorry! But don't give up on ALPHA.. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Matthewdan(m): 9:02pm On Feb 23, 2022
sourmilk88:
The reality on ground is so grim and very painful. I am empty and tired. I trekked 2hrs+ to meet someone who promised to support me with a token to hold body and soul together. I met his absence and his line is unreachable too.

I am tired,hungry,stran overwhelmed,

Please i am in dire need of help, no matter how little. Thanks

UBA

You have gone digital with this shit!!!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by AdeniyiA(m): 9:03pm On Feb 23, 2022
The condition in the country now is just so bad, unfortunately we have useless govt which knows nothing than to add to the suffering of the people.

Cost of living is high, naira is valueless, job opportunities is dwindling, job losses,etc... Sometimes I pity people in the likes of Lagos
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by NoToPile: 9:04pm On Feb 23, 2022
CoolAmbience:

Abeg, shift as you no get wetin to talk.

So, because he owns the house, he could go take off its roof whenever he pleases....

E neva see who jail am....

Oya say your own you wey get wetin you Wan talk.

Some had advised him in his initial thread when the quit notice was served that diplomacy is key when dealing with this kind of landlord, my advice back then was for him to beg him.

I have given my own advice on this thread, give yours.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Epeegee(m): 9:04pm On Feb 23, 2022
You will never tell us what you did to the landlord before he took this bad step, some tenant would frustrate you like mad,I have one in my father house,3 years she never pay rent and keep behaving like animal

1 Like

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by wirinet(m): 9:05pm On Feb 23, 2022
yemite100:

Nigerians always friegn helplessness in very straight forward situations. Why are we so cowardly that we are afraid to fight for our rights. This is why I like Abba Kyari. He knows how to fight for his rights even when he denied other Nigerians the same rights. He went to court and sued the police for detaining him beyond the constitutionally allowed 48 hours eveb though he had detained Nigerians for months without trial.

This is a very simple case.
You should have taken pictures of the landlord and the thugs removing your roof. If you have not taken pictures, then get a camera man or use a very good phone to take clear pictures of the damages. (If You want a new TV or laptop, break them yourself and accuse the people that vandalize the house)

Go to the police station and make a statement. Make sure your statement is indented. Insist on seeing the DPO to explain the situation to him as the junior police officers might have collected bribe. If not satisfied write a petition to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, Yaba.

Contract a lawyer as soon as possible.

With the photo evidence of the damages, instruct your lawyer to get a court injunction halting all activities of the landlord or his agents on your apartment and bar him from going near your apartment till the case is settled.

File a criminal case in court of illegal entry, damage to property, intimidation, threat to your life, etc.

All these should be done within 2 or at most 3 days.

Once the case is in court, you can now try and cover the roof to prevent rain from damaging your property. He cannot do anything again or he risks going to jail.

This was the steps I took when a landlord tried something similar about 20 years back. Na beg dem beg me to settle.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by hardbody: 9:06pm On Feb 23, 2022
Irishrena1:
What did you do to him that he'd willingly pay to destroy his roof?

He gave you quit notice 3 months ahead of the expiry of your rent abi, that means he has followed due process. But you want to use jungle pattern for him. Ehn na bear the consequence of the jungle life style

You just sounded irresponsible and careless. This guy is complaining he has issues. Meanwhile a yearly tenant is entitled to 6months notice and at the expiration of that notice the landlord has no right to enter his property and remove his roof. He should be able to get injunctive reliefs in court and also sue for exemplary damages. Dont even start arguing with me, your type shouldn't be making comments in the public space.
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Irishrena1(f): 9:07pm On Feb 23, 2022
Ofiadiegwu:

Oh oooh!

They started removing roof from inside

Is it roof they are removing or ceiling

Op, you are considering nairaland as home of fools??

Op your lie is amateur

A big thank you! You took the words right out of my mouth

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Halo22: 9:09pm On Feb 23, 2022
Op, the fact he removed the roof of ur house means that the deed has been done. However, you can approach a magistrate court, if u have ur receipts of previous and recent payments. Be rest assured he would pay a lot of damages that will make him to come begging you. But first, try to secure an apartment no matter how small, to serve as ur shelter for now. Wish you luck in ur endeavors.
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by joyousever(f): 9:11pm On Feb 23, 2022
But DSS doesn't settle matters of this nature. It's either the police or court!
stagger:

Forget this talk. I have had a landlord who sent thugs to my business premises to chase out my clients physically because I paid him 80% of his rent when due at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. The man's father is a retired general.

But I change am for the man that day. The man thought that my coolness over the 7 years I was his tenant in that structure meant weakness. He saw madness of the first order. He thought he is the only one that has military people in his family.

Sending thugs to your business tenant of 7 years? The man crossed the line that day and he never believed he would see what he saw. Our matter was eventually settled by the DSS.

By the time I was leaving the place, the man will see me on the road and take a detour.
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by Josephkabila12: 9:12pm On Feb 23, 2022
yemite100:

I got home now and saw carpenters removing the roof of my apartment with two abled young men which I haven't seen their face before, the roof of my apartment has been removed now. God will make way for you

Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by smile11s(m): 9:14pm On Feb 23, 2022
yemite100:

take it easy

https://gist.am/question/my-landlord-gave-me-a-quit-notice-when-my-rent-is-yet-to-due-now-my-landlord-has-removed-the-roof-of-my-apartment
Re: Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment by k2money(m): 9:14pm On Feb 23, 2022
yemite100:
I was able to capture this from the other room, my camera is not good.
To burst your bubble, this picture is taken from inside the room are you telling us your landlord broke into your room. You are supposed to show pictures of aluminum sheet not this one. Liar and lazy man,scams.
This room is not painted are you telling me you move to the room without painting it?
Your phone camera is fine when to capture roof but capture a paper very close it got blunt.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis / What Kind Of House Can I Build With 3m / Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.