Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,860 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. (20315 Views)

My Experience As A Stammerer / I Am Dying Of A Chronic Pile / I'm 18 But My Dick Is Not Growing, Please Help!! I'm Really Depressed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by ugwum007(m): 1:03pm On Feb 24, 2022
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Thiijhay(m): 1:04pm On Feb 24, 2022
Nothing too much for God to do. I was once in your shoes, but I can boldly say it now that I'm far far better now. You only notice I'm a stammerer when I get angry.. I blv with time u get over it. Just stop putting ur mind to it.. God over all...
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by JimmyfixDesigns: 1:07pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
My name is Henry, 27 yrs old. I am new here, it was my younger sister who introduced me to nairaland. She is a member here.

Brilliant and intellectual minds are here so I believe you people can help me with an advice because I am so depressed and I don't know who to talk talk to about my depression.

I'm a stammerer, a chronic and dreadful one at that. I can repeat an initial word like forever before I could complete my statement. It has made me hate my life and existence. I have a very low-self esteem, I can't express myself, I can't even approach a girl not to talk of being a relationship because I'm afraid of being mocked.

I'm a graduate in accounting education from AAU. I have always dreamt of becoming a lecturer/teacher. I'm smart and intelligent, I love to impact knowledge but I can't express myself. It's a big disability for me.

Back then in University, when i went for my teaching practice, the first day I taught in a classroom, I sense an undesirable atmosphere. I knew the students were trying to laugh but they respected their selves. When I got home, I locked myself and I cried.... But life goes on.

I graduated 2017, I went for nysc 2018. Since then my life has no bearing. I have not achieved anything. I feel inadequate despite I read a lot and I'm intelligent. It pains me I can't communicate to impact knowledge without stammering.

My father is making it worse for me, he compare me with other guys, he has never appreciated any thing I've done for him, he talks down on me. He finds fault in anything I do, he talks as if I created myself.

My mom and siblings are the reason why I haven't committed suicide. They encourage me everyday, especially my mom who is sick now.

I prefer to be completely deaf and dumb than for me to talk and not be able to express myself.

God is not perfect. If God was perfect, he would not have created some people with disability or deformity. Some people were born crippled, deaf, blind etc.. And you wanna tell me God is perfect? He's a partial and sentimental God. I try to understand his vision but all I see is damages.

Please I'm so depressed. I need advice.

Watch this movie bro. You will be alright
https://mega.nz/file/UGZnzTSY#t4P_hAUZaFsP5byz0hlWj3B9OTJ36CQxd1THGM4JcW8
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by ugwum007(m): 1:11pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
My name is Henry, 27 yrs old. I am new here, it was my younger sister who introduced me to nairaland. She is a member here.

Brilliant and intellectual minds are here so I believe you people can help me with an advice because I am so depressed and I don't know who to talk talk to about my depression.

I'm a stammerer, a chronic and dreadful one at that. I can repeat an initial word like forever before I could complete my statement. It has made me hate my life and existence. I have a very low-self esteem, I can't express myself, I can't even approach a girl not to talk of being a relationship because I'm afraid of being mocked.

I'm a graduate in accounting education from AAU. I have always dreamt of becoming a lecturer/teacher. I'm smart and intelligent, I love to impact knowledge but I can't express myself. It's a big disability for me.

Back then in University, when i went for my teaching practice, the first day I taught in a classroom, I sense an undesirable atmosphere. I knew the students were trying to laugh but they respected their selves. When I got home, I locked myself and I cried.... But life goes on.

I graduated 2017, I went for nysc 2018. Since then my life has no bearing. I have not achieved anything. I feel inadequate despite I read a lot and I'm intelligent. It pains me I can't communicate to impact knowledge without stammering.

My father is making it worse for me, he compare me with other guys, he has never appreciated any thing I've done for him, he talks down on me. He finds fault in anything I do, he talks as if I created myself.

My mom and siblings are the reason why I haven't committed suicide. They encourage me everyday, especially my mom who is sick now.

I prefer to be completely deaf and dumb than for me to talk and not be able to express myself.

God is not perfect. If God was perfect, he would not have created some people with disability or deformity. Some people were born crippled, deaf, blind etc.. And you wanna tell me God is perfect? He's a partial and sentimental God. I try to understand his vision but all I see is damages.

I will be 32yrs this year and I have been a stammer since I knew myself.
I asked one of my oldest friend from my nursery school days if I was stammering then and she said yes.

I lost out in alot of things during my secondary school years even competitions but I got to understand myself.

I took hold of the stammering and made it part of me. I made it part of my personality, if you want me, you have to bring the stammering along to enjoy me.

Yes, I am now married to a lovely lady and through the years I have had alot of girlfriends. Plenty of them.

My friends then even ask me how I do get all these girlfriends, I will tell them that once we have agreed that I can't speak fluently, there is already ban understanding.

Like I said, I understood myself and where my strength lies. I may not be able to beat you in a speech race but you can't beat me in a writing race.

You can't force me into a speech race, I will surely slow it down because I have to choose my words every well.

I have learnt to develop my brain in such a way that I can replace words from a book right inside my brain before saying them out.

I just a career path where my mouth will do less talking and my brain and hands will do more of the work.

I learnt to stay in my lane and fight for my victories in my own way.

Over the years, people have given me advice to do this and do that but all those things are very exhausting.

So, just take control of the stammering by making it part of you.

Somethings, I just read to my wife and 90% of the time. I don't stammer while reading to her and this help to pick up those words that are always getting stuck so I can find another words in my brain to replace them.

Raise your head high, and tell the world that you are a stammerer. The most surprising thing they should expect is for you to speaking fluently.

I usually give speech, even teach sometimes with my own stammering and with what I have to offer, you have to definitely listen.

2 Likes

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 24, 2022
I remember I used to stammer one time
I just grew out of it
You can do same too
Don’t rush words speak slowly and calmly
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by FireUpNow(m): 1:15pm On Feb 24, 2022
Don't be depressed, accept yourself for who you are Please
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Jnana19(m): 1:15pm On Feb 24, 2022
Contact 07061067342 for cure 85 percent herbal natural mix and also teraphy
HenryIgwe01:

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Jennyclay(f): 1:16pm On Feb 24, 2022
JimmyfixDesigns:

People like you should never be allowed to speak in public. How do you know teaching and lecturing cannot be his dream? who the hell are you to say that trash to him? And what has God got to do with his struggle with stuttering? Reasons this country is damned. Even the brain God has given to you you have refused to use, you keep irritating God with issues you can solve only by making use of your head.

To the OP, See, you dont have any problem to make you depressed. My first advice to you is to go look for this movie "The King's Speech" You will learn first hand how to break free from your struggle. If you cant find the movie, send me a pm or respond to this comment. See, if you dont starmer when you speak in your mind, trust me, you can speak with your tongue without stuttering. Dont waste your time praying. God has already given us brains to use in solving this problem.
First of all. What do you even understand by the word chronic?

The op said and I quote I can repeat an initial word like forever before I could complete my statement. he even said he prefers to be deaf and dumb than talking.

Common sense should have told you he's going through alot with his career? I still stand by my word. Teaching is not his calling. Have any chronic stammerer who is a lecturer taught you before??

The op said he's a graduate in accounting. There are alot of businesses he can learn that would make him a millionaire.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by thanksjosh005: 1:17pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

Hi.

What you call stammering is also known as stuttering which is a speech disorder/impairment. I really for you! Your narrative was very poignant. Please, don't lose your grips off of hopes. I believe your stuttering would heal even though I've heard it persist in certain people.

The problem lies in the brain, medically speaking. There is no specific cure but with time and talk therapy sessions, you can find improvements. Try to make adjustments with your life activities and self to work on yourself for results.

I understand people like you. You're talented but sometimes setbacks like this could be very depressing and do us harm. But you have to be brace up and move on with hopes that someday, you'll be 3x better than you were. I know this to be true because I'm also coming from somewhere.

There are certain things you can do to improve. Have you tried anything yet rather than feel sorry for yourself? If yes, were there any impact? I would like to know this. There are certain things you can do. The most you want to do like I said with improving yourself is your self-development. Work on yourself rather than bring yourself down. Stop agreeing to self-limiting beliefs, instances or events and practice positivity.

There are many exercises you can do to improve and with time, know you'll heal.

You have a voice OP. That's something I know the cosmic forces can't take away or destroy.

1 Like

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by babtoundey(m): 1:20pm On Feb 24, 2022
My lecturer is a stermmerer. He thought me both at undergraduate and postgraduate level. He supervised my BA project and is still supervising my MA project. You cannot get to know the extent of his speech defect until he hangs in the middle of his speech. Nonetheless, he is a fantastic lecturer. He lectures in one of the foremost Federal Universities in Nigeria.

So, Op, don't let the situation bars your progress and determination to achieve your dream. Just learn some simple skills on mastering it.
Stermmering is not a disease. Work on your confidence and self-esteem. Beat all odds, dare all consequences to talk anywhere, anytime and to anybody. You will come out elegantly victorious.

1 Like

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Chimatesky64: 1:21pm On Feb 24, 2022
i feel your pain bro,I was once like you I know how painful it is talking to people stuttering,first you have to gain confidence talking to people and don't talk fast always take words one after the other,trust me you will be fine.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by YourNextLevel(m): 1:25pm On Feb 24, 2022
My brother is well.

1. God is perfect

2. Believe in yourself

3. Talk slowly till you pick up

Prayers can stop it
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by dealembassy: 1:25pm On Feb 24, 2022
Stop making people to pity you, you got to appreciate who you are!
I work as a correction officer here un United States with a guy who is chronic stammerer, the inmates make fun of him everyday but he always keeps his head up. sometimes i feel bad for him until i realised he dont give a f-u-c-k about what the inmates do or say.
Create your world and enjoy it, don't limit yourself by your challenges see the opportunity in it

HenryIgwe01:

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Freelane33(m): 1:25pm On Feb 24, 2022
You ain’t communicating bro
Karleb:

Stop this shit!

The fact that there are people with bigger problems doesn't invalidates his problems. angry

@OP A close relative of mine stammers and she's the funniest person that is close to me, jovial and very extroverted. Although her stuttering is not chronic though, but she stutters even till tomorrow and she is jovial and friendlier than me wey no dey stutter.

I hope this inspires you.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by perragy(m): 1:31pm On Feb 24, 2022
Bro, i was once like you.. i lost all confidence in public speaking, nor can i argue with people during my secondary school days. To kill me was easy, just ask me to come out and read aloud in class..

But i started taking all my speeches very easy, being very calm and be truthful to myself. An indian man once told me to talk so loud and read out loud too but one word at a time within my space.. i heeded to his words and it has worked for me.

I do handle product presentations now with big firms and executives watching..

Finally, stammerers are born great and intelligent but are always eager to express themselves. Follow the steps above bro.. you will surely come out of it with little time. Be confident.

2 Likes

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Karleb(m): 1:32pm On Feb 24, 2022
Freelane33:
You ain’t communicating bro

What's your problem? undecided
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by marcelofrancis: 1:33pm On Feb 24, 2022
I feel your pain bro
your situation is not as bad as you think, it's just your head messing with you due to your negative life experiences. You might not fully overcame stammering but you can reduce it to a great extend,
You need to work on your self esteem, your mindset and others that,
Stay away from people who try to hurt you mental health including your father (get your apartment if you can).
As for being a lecturer, there are other things you do better you just I need to explore. If you insist on lecturing or teaching there other creative medium can use.
As For relationship be open to rejection and work on things that can be improved on,
Don't see relationship as a do or die affair, focus on making, friends and acquaintances, from there you will see what works for you.
there are girls who will look beyond your stammering issue.
Also, focus on self development, improve self worth. There are those who will certainly be attracted to you.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by DeHill(m): 1:34pm On Feb 24, 2022
miraculousGod:
Don't be depressed, be happy, you are not alone,
a medical doctor in my church told us he was once a chronic stammerer, but now he speaks fluently
STAMMERING IS TREATABLE
How did he cure his? Pls tell me!
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Freelane33(m): 1:34pm On Feb 24, 2022
You are very stupid for asking me that , you should ask yourself what the probe is it with you
Karleb:

What's your problem? undecided
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Karleb(m): 1:36pm On Feb 24, 2022
Freelane33:
You are very stupid for asking me that , you should ask yourself what the probe is it with you

You're frustrated and confused. I hope you get the help that you need.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by DeHill(m): 1:37pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryDion:
Your first sentence gave me goosebumps.

I'm Henry, 27 years, a graduate, and was once a stammerer.

The similarities are eye popping.

I can totally relate to the loss of esteem, and embarrassment when you experience a block.

Scientists don't know what causes it, but I believe it's purely psychological.

Ever wondered why you don't stammer when talking to yourself?

It's a long road to finally defecting this impairment. But if you're determined, you can live a stuttering free life.

I'm proof.
How did u cure urs? I need ur help!
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Luzebox(m): 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2022
if you want to go into teaching ...then you have to work on your speech..get a patient partner dat will help you with your speech ...by occassionally talking to you...and try talking really slow....even if you go for another career...communication skills is extremely important....and for your father issues....go out there and make money...all the talk will end
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by aklion: 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2022
I have same issues my brother. During my primary school it was worse. I was laughed at several times. Growing up I read books on how to control it. At first it was difficult. But with practice I get use to controlling it. You control it by communicating slowly. If you try to go fast you will get hooked and stamarer begin. I master it. Was able to do my teaching practice fluently. And I also had to work on my anger too... I didn't take anything just work on myself...
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by mrksquare: 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

I also stutters. Mine run in my family. Today I have overcome it. Always use your hand to gesturize while talking. That's after taken a deep breath. That's my secret. I'm also a lecturer as well.

Also try to pick your words. That will entail you talking softly. Don't always talk very fast. Just pick it.

Stammering also comes with it's attendant issue of making one to have inferior complex but try to overcome it. Be confident of yourself. Don't ever contemplate the idea of commiting suicide owing to this genetic defect.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by tomzyELNINO: 1:48pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

God understands all, He is perfect. There is a reason for everything that happens under the sun. I will advice that you move closer to God through His Son Jesus Christ. There is hope for everything. God can heal you in the twinkle of an eye. Jesus loves you and can heal you. Be encouraged and give thanks in everything though it might be hard. Therefore I decree in The Name of Jesus that you are healed in Jesus Name through the mighty power of God Almighty. Believe and receive your healing.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Angelawhite(m): 1:51pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

Damn! I used to be very much like you! I suffered from chronic stammering. I still stammer a bit when I’m excited.

In fact, growing up, I was nicknamed “serious man” because I barely talk or socialize and that was mostly because I stammered and introverted.

How did it stop ? I started working on myself. I realized I stammer mostly when I’m excited or angry.
I also knew there are certain words that trigger the stammering - words that contained certain consonants (frictional sounds).
I also realized I didn’t stammer when I sing or read. From the above, I was able to deduce the following and work on myself:

1. Stammering is a mental issue rather than physical
2. The mental state of your mind contributes to your stammering
3. Instantaneous speech, example during conversation, argument, etc, where you are required to respond without enough time to process the information can also lead to stammering
4. The above could be the reason why most people don’t stammer while reading or singing because it is less mental stress as the information has been preprocessed and arranged sequentially

How I worked on myself

1. I worked on my excitement. Whenever there’s a rush to say something, I take a deep breath.
2. I create a mental image of what I’m going to say and literally read it from the image. It comes with practice grin
3. When I fail to say a word, I take a pause and try to say it again. If there’s a synonym of that word that is easier to say, I switch to it sharply.
4. The key is to speak slower. It buys you time. You give your brain less pressure and more time to articulate your words. It’s a practice, meaning it’s something you have to adopt as a habit.
5. Be free to laugh over your “mistakes”. Normalize it and know you’re not like everyone else. The sooner you normalize it, the easier you’ll make conscious efforts to work on yourself.

6.Be involved in more conversations. During conversations with 2 or more people, I would usually take the back seat. I would usually prefer to ask questions- very short in sentence. The shorter the sentences, the less likely you stammer. I also nod when others are talking. It shows I’m a good listener and will encourage them to listen when I ask questions or say something.

7. Be confident. Build your confidence. Confidence is more about not giving too much damn to what people think about you. Realizing that people will laugh at you but telling yourself that when this people eventually die, the opinion they had about you dies with them grin
Self confidence as opposed to self pity will surely reduce the chances of stammering

8. Read aloud. Practice speaking to an audience when you are alone. You will develop muscle memory for some words you find difficult to say. Gesticulating also helps in speech.

9. Practice speaking with somebody who understands your ordeal. You can call me on a video call if you’d like to have a chat grin. The more you talk, the better muscle memory you develop for certain words.

I’ll add more to this list when I remember
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by groovy12: 1:54pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

I feel ur pains Bro,but d best and easy way to go out of this, is by not forcing urself to talk fast,jxt calm down and talk slowly wit tym u will get ova it.
I knw som1 dat had diz xme issue,he used d slow n steady way of not talking fast 2 beat his chronic stammer status.
Today he can talk without u even noticing he was once a chronic stammerer.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by rampantlover: 1:58pm On Feb 24, 2022
Try to breath in and hold your breath for as long as you can. Repeat it as an exercise everyday and you will thank me later.

1 Like

Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by simplesearch: 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2022
Read the word of the Lord and be encouraged. No need to be anxious; if you believe, why not? God is able to restore your speech. For with him nothing shall be impossible. Remember Moses was also a stammerer but that did not deter God from using him. Read below

Exodus 4:10
And Moses said unto the LORD, O my LORD, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.
4:11 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? 4:12 Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.

Philippians 4:6
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by Wawelexy(m): 2:11pm On Feb 24, 2022
DavidEsq:

Talk true bro, is this for real?

wetin i gain if i lie for OP? Na somtin wey dem don use for peole wey i know. U fit ask all dose old women wey dey treat person traditionally.
Re: I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. by horlakay(m): 2:13pm On Feb 24, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

Your write up shows more of the reason why you were depressed.
See you can't win God. When you understand this, then you can deal with the situation trusting him.
Who says people don't get healed of chronic stammering, I know someone who did, he can now express himself better.
Thank God! you are not dumb bro or deaf. I pray God heals you soon.
Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

UPTH Delivers First IVF Baby In Port-Harcourt / Woman Performs Own Caesarean To Save Baby / Expect More Ebola Virus Cases In Nigeria – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.