Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,797 members, 7,802,542 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons (44659 Views)

Joe Biden Urged To Renounce Sole Control Of US Nuclear Weapons / North Korea Has 60 Nuclear Weapons & Could Launch Smallpox On Missile - US Army / World War 3 : North Korea Nuclear Weapons In Final Stages (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 4:09am On Feb 25, 2022
BigBashiru:

Nigerians don't say lad so stop saying it and be yourself....
I'm a Nigerian,and a Spaniard by birth,got that
Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 4:10am On Feb 25, 2022
BigBashiru:

The last 4 countries you have mentioned have changed the world order and that is good news for Africa.....
Yes,the are the freedom fighting countries.
Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by todaynewsreview: 4:10am On Feb 25, 2022
Economic sanction most often affects the commonal more than those they're met to affect.

2 Likes

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by DMerciful(m): 4:12am On Feb 25, 2022
You absolutely dont know Russia capabilities.
There's a reason the US has been avoiding Russia from the 50s.

The day US go directly to Russia militarily, consider US nolonger superpower, infact they may be no more.

Have you wondered why US always build alliances of many nations? Their capabilities are overrated!
franchasng:
I have said this countless times.

NATO will destroy Russia in few days should war escalate but the problem is leadership. Current leaders of NATO member nations are cowards, they lack the willpower and courage to use their strength and might. Even to disconnect Russia from SWIFT they cant summon the courage to do it and cripple Russian economy immediately.

If Vladimir Putin was a US President right now, Russia will be retreating in hours.

Its not as if Russia is that strong, yes they have military might but they are almost a poor country, but they have a strong man as President who understands the law of power and how to lead a war. He talks tough thereby making opponents to see Russia as the greatest giant. Vladimir Putin is the strongest President on earth right now but Russia is never the strongest nation.

Some people are rich but don't command the respect, thats the case of US now under Pa Joe Biden. US have gradually become a toothless bulldog under Democratic leadership, what a shame.

Just make Vladimir Putin the President of US and Joe Biden the President of Russia and watch Russians pissing in their pants with fear.

In as much as I condemn Russian invasion of Ukraine, I must admit that I admire Putin's courage and guts, its unparalleled

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by franugo(m): 4:13am On Feb 25, 2022
Greatdand007:

Seems you don’t know what you saying Russia will finish the nato allied in second do you know Russia as the largest military in the world

Some of you throw out your opinions as facts. Where did you get this info from? Gimme a source.

India has the largest military personnel but US is the strongest in the world.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Onyiiobi7735(m): 4:13am On Feb 25, 2022
mayklef:
NATO should test thier nuclear weapon in Aso rock, we want to verify something
Lol!
Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by frog12: 4:15am On Feb 25, 2022
see as dem they twist putin's words all the time. paranoid french grin

2 Likes

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by DMerciful(m): 4:16am On Feb 25, 2022
You think Russia is this dumb, absolutely nothing would happen! Russia has their own alliance including China
OAra:
To put it bluntly, Putin is operating on borrowed time.

The modernization of the Russian military has happened by taking huge loans via 2 semi-governmental institutions (Vnesheconombank, which acts as an independent development bank and Promsvyazban, which services around 70% of Russia's military defence contracts), thus not weighting on the limited state's budget. Now these 2 entities will be completely frozen out of Western capital markets.

The mix of Western sanctions includes financial sanctions (currently targeting over 80% of the Russian banking sector), export control actions (for example Western companies are barred from selling modern tech, semiconductors etc to Russia and its allies) and personal sanctions (Putin's close allies and their families, the Duma's members etc).

Today, first day of the crisis, the Russian market opened up at -30% and the central bank had to massively intervene to avoid a collapse of the ruble (which is underway anyway, reaching 89.60 rubles to 1$), with further interventions likely to be required.

To sum it up, Russia's economy will be heavily hit by the sanctions, its people (already suffering from a weak economy) will suffer even more, and with its main military revenue sources blocked, it is highly unlikely Russia will be able to maintain a military edge for long, with some even calling this the Kremlin's swan song (I do not believe this for a second, but it's true that they will be severely weakened).

Putin is acting on borrowed time. He knows it, the West knows it, and he knows that his enemies know it.

In the medium-long term this little war will have costed Russia x10, x100 times more than what they gained.

Sanctions might not make for big news, but they have the power to throw a country in terminal economic decline. Enjoy your famine, Russians.

1 Like

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by juman(m): 4:16am On Feb 25, 2022
Putin also has nuclear weapons.

He is ready for them.
Fire for fire.

1 Like

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by frog12: 4:17am On Feb 25, 2022
hahaha. na dem push zelensky into this.

Zaggadhat:
France needs to understand they can go into Ukraine to help them.

Let them stop running their mouth!!! Go and help them. Most countries are using Ukraine's pain to trend

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by King2019(m): 4:18am On Feb 25, 2022
franchasng:
Stop believing nonsense military propagandas peddled by people trying to antagonize US.

Russia is no match to the US alone talk more of NATO. What Putin is doing is to use scare words to intimidate this present set of NATO nation leaders into abandoning Ukraine for him to bully as he pleases. Russia is scared of NATO, if not why is Putin scared of Ukraine joining NATO? If Putin truly believes NATO is a pushover then he should allow Ukraine join NATO first and then he can invade and use that opportunity to deal with NATO since he has IQBCKSLS pointed at every nation of the world, nonsense talk.

To let you know that Putin is scared of US or NATO stopping him from bullying Ukraine, before this invasion, he went to China to meet with China's President Xi Jinping in an effort to get a backup ally should things go south for him.

Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and all those communist like nations fear US because they know US controls the world and even their own nation's economy.

Russian military and tech companies depend on semiconductors from the US. Most of them use US patent technologies to survive yet you guys believe Russia is this or that.

Vladimir Putin is on Instagram and I guess Twitter. Russian government officials also use Twitter and majority of Russians depend on US tech platforms for social and other purposes. And these are all American technologies.

When Trump banned Android from selling their technology to China, Chinese mobile phone makers almost crashed.

Most of you overrate Russia and underrate the great America just because you hate America maybe because of religion.

No country on earth can challenge US, the only problem with US right now is poor leadership
See things from two sides and you won't make this comment I don't support the war but I can tell you Russia will survive with all the sanctions.

2 Likes

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by WoundedLamb: 4:19am On Feb 25, 2022
Sadly, NATO does not have the obligation to send soldiers to Ukraine. There's a reason Putin made this move before Ukraine is able to join NATO.

6 Likes

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by juman(m): 4:19am On Feb 25, 2022
"Whoever tries to hinder us, and even more so, to create threats to our country, to our people, should know that Russia's response will be immediate. And it will lead you to such consequences that you have never encountered in your history," the Russian president said.

Sensible statement from putin.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by DMerciful(m): 4:19am On Feb 25, 2022
Seriously, you watch too much Hollywood!

Russia is a country that hides their capabilities.
US fears Russia and avoid direct military confrontation at all cost!
franchasng:
Stop believing nonsense military propagandas peddled by people trying to antagonize US.

Russia is no match to the US alone talk more of NATO. What Putin is doing is to use scare words to intimidate this present set of NATO nation leaders into abandoning Ukraine for him to bully as he pleases. Russia is scared of NATO, if not why is Putin scared of Ukraine joining NATO? If Putin truly believes NATO is a pushover then he should allow Ukraine join NATO first and then he can invade and use that opportunity to deal with NATO since he has IQBCKSLS pointed at every nation of the world, nonsense talk.

To let you know that Putin is scared of US or NATO stopping him from bullying Ukraine, before this invasion, he went to China to meet with China's President Xi Jinping in an effort to get a backup ally should things go south for him.

Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and all those communist like nations fear US because they know US controls the world and even their own nation's economy.

Russian military and tech companies depend on semiconductors from the US. Most of them use US patent technologies to survive yet you guys believe Russia is this or that.

Vladimir Putin is on Instagram and I guess Twitter. Russian government officials also use Twitter and majority of Russians depend on US tech platforms for social and other purposes. And these are all American technologies.

When Trump banned Android from selling their technology to China, Chinese mobile phone makers almost crashed.

Most of you overrate Russia and underrate the great America just because you hate America maybe because of religion.

No country on earth can challenge US, the only problem with US right now is poor leadership

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Awesometouch1: 4:21am On Feb 25, 2022
franchasng:

NATO will destroy Russia in few days should war escalate but the problem is leadership. Current leaders of NATO member nations are cowards, they lack the willpower and courage to use their strength and might. Even to disconnect Russia from SWIFT they cant summon the courage to do it and cripple Russian economy immediately.

If Vladimir Putin was a US President right now, Russia will be retreating in hours.

Its not as if Russia is that strong, yes they have military might but they are almost a poor country, but they have a strong man as President who understands the law of power and how to lead a war. He talks tough thereby making opponents to see Russia as the greatest giant. Vladimir Putin is the strongest President on earth right now but Russia is never the strongest nation.

Some people are rich but don't command the respect, thats the case of US now under Pa Joe Biden. US have gradually become a toothless bulldog under Democratic leadership, what a shame.

Just make Vladimir Putin the President of US and Joe Biden the President of Russia and watch Russians pissing in their pants with fear.

In as much as I condemn Russian invasion of Ukraine, I must admit that I admire Putin's courage and guts, its unparalleled
Yes, you make much sense but Putin is only doing this because he is sure NATO won't intervene directly. NATO has said it repeatedly over couple of weeks they won't send soldiers to defend Ukraine.
Russia had been using one foot at a time to test the waters before taking their next step each time. They also know the boundaries NATO has set as red-line and won't cross it.
However, if Ukraine decides to fight it out, Russia will lose eventually, going by the world's definition of defeat. Ukraine has the man power. They just lack the tools, resources, and maybe, training.

Do you know what?, had the US suddenly risen to defend Ukraine before now there wouldn't have been any invasion. Russia would've still saved face since they've been claiming they were not out for invasion and that the West was only imagining it.

Furthermore, if NATO decides now to push Russia out of Ukraine Russia will freak out and will more than welcome negotiations.

My brother, nobody wants a nuclear war. If Russia wasn't nuclear powered, Britain would've been the first country to declare war on Russia immediately they invaded Ukraine just like the way they declared war on Germany the instant they invaded Poland.

It was not by chance you and I speak English today. Great Britain has reigned supreme on the face of this earth for centuries and in fact were even instrumental in the creation of a German state. Britain has had such tremendous influence on the rest of Europe that will surprise you. Before I used to think all European countries were equal but I was wrong. Britain is a Master in Europe.

Right now, Britain is the only country I've heard make mention of an eventual direct military conflict with Russia over Ukraine. That's the kind of bloody fighters they are. According to those that know, they are the only country that has successfully beaten Russia to the point of surrendering after invading them.

Forget that they are smaller, the British are the ones with the real chest for war. America shy away from war by all means unless they are pushed to the wall like the 9/11 and Pearlharbour.

Had Russia been responsible for a thing like 9/11, America would've descended on them with their whole might irrespective of any noise from Putin.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by juman(m): 4:21am On Feb 25, 2022
France and others have no mouth in nato.
America dictate what happen in nato.

3 Likes

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by frog12: 4:22am On Feb 25, 2022
you act like you are an expert. instead of these your copy and paste postings, why not focus on your shithole country grin grin

OAra:

I'll be blunt, but I mean no disrespect: Russia needs advanced tech and capitals.

No nation in Africa, not even a sleeping giant such as Nigeria, can provide either of these in the quantities required. China is the "big unknown" that might poke a huge hole in the sanctions net, but honestly we can only wait and see the evolving situation.

EDIT - sorry if I seem to have strong opinions about this war, but being pretty nationalistic I obviously support my homeland (Italy), and I have friends in Ukraine, so I have a lot of personal reasons to cheer as a dictator & his country pay the price for a war (and yes, I am 100% aware the West is FAR from blameless in this situation)
Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Abbeyrabbit43: 4:23am On Feb 25, 2022
Popjoan:
rusia has the most powerful weapons in the world,and NATO should be ashamed of themselves,they are only threatened by one country, Imagine them against Russia,China,North Korea and Iran

Please add India

1 Like

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by frog12: 4:23am On Feb 25, 2022
to gang-up grin

DMerciful:

The day US go directly to Russia militarily, consider US nolonger superpower, infact they may be no more.

Have you wondered why US always build alliances of many nations? Their capabilities are overrated!
Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by frog12: 4:25am On Feb 25, 2022
NATO soldiers are most likely inside ukraine already. don't believe them. they did this to libya and syria. then admitted they were inside

Awesometouch1:

Yes, you make much sense but Putin is only doing this because he is sure NATO won't intervene directly. NATO has said it repeatedly over couple of weeks they won't send soldiers to defend Ukraine.
Russia had been using one foot at a time to test the waters before taking their next step each time. They also know the boundaries NATO has set as red-line and won't cross it.
However, if Ukraine decides to fight it out, Russia will lose eventually, going by the world's definition of defeat. Ukraine has the man power. They just lack the tools, resources, and maybe, training.

Do you know what?, had the US suddenly risen to defend Ukraine before now there wouldn't have been any invasion. Russia would've still saved face since they've been claiming they were not out for invasion and that the West was only imagining it.

Furthermore, if NATO decides now to push Russia out of Ukraine Russia will freak out and will more than welcome negotiations.

My brother, nobody wants a nuclear war. If Russia wasn't nuclear powered, Britain would've been the first country to declare war on Russia immediately they invaded Ukraine just like the way they declared war on Germany the instant they invaded Poland.

It was not by chance you and I speak English today. Great Britain has reigned supreme on the face of this earth for centuries and in fact were even instrumental in the creation of a German state. Britain has had such tremendous influence on the rest of Europe that will surprise you. Before I used to think all European countries were equal but I was wrong. Britain is a Master in Europe.

Right now, Britain is the only country I've heard make mention of an eventual direct military conflict with Russia over Ukraine. That's the kind of bloody fighters they are. According to those that know, they are the only country that has successfully beaten Russia to the point of surrendering after invading them.

Forget that they are smaller, the British are the ones with the real chest for war. America shy away from war by all means unless they are pushed to the wall like the 9/11 and Pearlharbour.

Had Russia been responsible for a thing like 9/11, America would've descended on them with their whole might irrespective of any noise from Putin.
Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by King2019(m): 4:25am On Feb 25, 2022
DMerciful:

No one has ever taken them on at home and won

3 Likes

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 4:26am On Feb 25, 2022
Abbeyrabbit43:

Please add India
yea,thanks,and India
Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Ayt27(m): 4:26am On Feb 25, 2022
OAra:

I'll be blunt, but I mean no disrespect: Russia needs advanced tech and capitals.

No nation in Africa, not even a sleeping giant such as Nigeria, can provide either of these in the quantities required. China is the "big unknown" that might poke a huge hole in the sanctions net, but honestly we can only wait and see the evolving situation.

EDIT - sorry if I seem to have strong opinions about this war, but being pretty nationalistic I obviously support my homeland (Italy), and I have friends in Ukraine, so I have a lot of personal reasons to cheer as a dictator & his country pay the price for a war (and yes, I am 100% aware the West is FAR from blameless in this situation)

I agree with your sentiments, the pressure from the sanctions especially in the financial sector may put pressure on Putin's oligarchs to tell him to stop, if he doesn't they can assainate him, if push comes to shove.

The only ace is China, I don't count North Korea and Iran among them(although Sha, Nuclear Power no be beans). These other two, remember Japan and South Korea can effectively deal with China esp Japan.

But China would go after Hong Kong first before Taiwan, another period for arms dealers to cash out.

If there's one thing I am sure of, it's that the US has developed secret weapons that the world has not seen before.

US airforce is the largest airforce in the world
The US Navy is the second largest airforce in the world, they aren't coming to play Vietnam and Iraq has taught them the need to invest in militarization. The only person who can match the US is China

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by CoronaVirusPro: 4:27am On Feb 25, 2022
Nigeria should learn from this

We are someday going to reclaim Onitsha from Biafra

1 Like

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Soulsymbol99: 4:28am On Feb 25, 2022
This is jst the consequences of nt having much to do in your own country. Putin is bored. Is nt like he has roads, schools, health care facilities 2 build. agriculture or bandits, boko haram, Esn etc 2 worry abt. grin one of there problem be say if Ukraine join NATO, US fit cm get military presence near their border undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 4:29am On Feb 25, 2022
Ayt27:

I agree with your sentiments, the pressure from the sanctions especially in the financial sector may put pressure on Putin's oligarchs to tell him to stop, if he doesn't they can assainate him, if push comes to shove.

The only ace is China, I don't count North Korea and Iran among them. These other two, remember Japan and South Korea can effectively deal with China esp Japan.

But China would go after Hong Kong first before Taiwan, another period for arms dealers to cash out
you wrong dawg,China has the largest military,and Japanese Ninja's wouldn't come close,comprender?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Awesometouch1: 4:29am On Feb 25, 2022
OAra:
To put it bluntly, Putin is operating on borrowed time.

The modernization of the Russian military has happened by taking huge loans via 2 semi-governmental institutions (Vnesheconombank, which acts as an independent development bank and Promsvyazban, which services around 70% of Russia's military defence contracts), thus not weighting on the limited state's budget. Now these 2 entities will be completely frozen out of Western capital markets.

The mix of Western sanctions includes financial sanctions (currently targeting over 80% of the Russian banking sector), export control actions (for example Western companies are barred from selling modern tech, semiconductors etc to Russia and its allies) and personal sanctions (Putin's close allies and their families, the Duma's members etc).

Today, first day of the crisis, the Russian market opened up at -30% and the central bank had to massively intervene to avoid a collapse of the ruble (which is underway anyway, reaching 89.60 rubles to 1$), with further interventions likely to be required.

To sum it up, Russia's economy will be heavily hit by the sanctions, its people (already suffering from a weak economy) will suffer even more, and with its main military revenue sources blocked, it is highly unlikely Russia will be able to maintain a military edge for long, with some even calling this the Kremlin's swan song (I do not believe this for a second, but it's true that they will be severely weakened).

Putin is acting on borrowed time. He knows it, the West knows it, and he knows that his enemies know it.

In the medium-long term this little war will have costed Russia x10, x100 times more than what they gained.

Sanctions might not make for big news, but they have the power to throw a country in terminal economic decline. Enjoy your famine, Russians.
Exactly. On point. With an economic meltdown resulting from sanctions, Russia will find itself on a hopeless war with Ukraine if the Ukrainians decide to fight it out and for long.

Russians could once again be queueing up for food rations.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by DMerciful(m): 4:29am On Feb 25, 2022
Loool....lamba!

Russia will defeat Britain 50 times if they war 50 times.

If not US and Russia, Germany would have defeated Europe incliding Britain.

Size matters!
Awesometouch1:

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by bestpunterever: 4:30am On Feb 25, 2022
franchasng:

how would they disconnect them from swift when Germany and Italy said no? you want the Germany economy to get cripple because of ukrain?
60percent of gas in Europe still from same Russia.
I don't support Putin or NATO on this, but one thing i know is that USA would have done worse if Mexico decided to romance Russia in any form of alliance.
No war power Nation will allow an enemy as their neighbour. America/NATO are also an aggressors, they did worse in Libya.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 4:31am On Feb 25, 2022
I don't support any mad leaders. The world is being run by mad people. But why is Ukraine not looking into the option of Referendum in Crimea and the other disputed areas?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by Neddstark: 4:32am On Feb 25, 2022
Is it not France that was taken over by Germany in 3 months? Na mouth France get

2 Likes

Re: Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons by 5thcolm(m): 4:32am On Feb 25, 2022
Asabe4:
I really don't think Putin cares.. he obviously knows these things before embarking on this invasion.

The guy acts like one with terminal illness who has nothing to lose
He is a mad dog

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Congo Government Seizes The Mountain Of Gold Discovered By Villagers / President Rodrigo Duterte: I Used To Be Gay, 'Cured' Myself With Beautiful Women / Image Of Pregnant Trump Cradled By Putin Is Projected Onto NY Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.