Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

My Daughter's First Menses! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Daughter's First Menses! (5511 Views)

A Yahooboy Wants To Marry My Daughter. What Should I Do? Elderly Man Asks (vid) / Can I Give My Daughter 'ALUKO' As A Name? / Conversation About A Dog & Water Between My Daughter & Girl That Stays With Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Daughter's First Menses! by jaszplus12(m): 8:12pm On Feb 26, 2022
I'd always loved her even before she was born. And when she came she was my third offspring.
Cute at birth and she grew up with great love and compassion at everything she did.
As a girl child I'd always expected her "firsts" especially growing to from child to preteen and adolescence...
About three weeks ago she came to me and told me she's having cramps at her lower abdomen...I was slightly dazed cos at 12 I least expected she'll begin to have these experiences. But I guess we don't know what to expect!
I was both excited and unsure...I prayed she was prepared for the new phase of life...
Today, just got back from work and I was informed she's menstruating!!
Again mixed feelings!
Well...I just said to her...now you're truly growing up!

I'll love to hear from everyone about how they felt when their daughter told them about the first menses! Please let's share! smiley

13 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2022
congrats sir welcome to consultation phase of your life

5 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Goldbw122(m): 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2022
Good
Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Karleb(m): 8:15pm On Feb 26, 2022
Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by MufasaLion: 8:15pm On Feb 26, 2022
Good for her.
Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:18pm On Feb 26, 2022
I used to think issues like this should be a daughter and mom kind of thing, maybe I'm wrong.

20 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On Feb 26, 2022
jaszplus12:
I was both excited and unsure...I prayed she was prepared for the new phase of life...
Again mixed feelings!

I'll love to hear from everyone about how they felt when their daughter told them about the first menses! Please let's share! smiley
Mixed feelings? Is it about you?, lipsrsealed

She is truly growing up because she now sees her period? For Pete's sake, she is still a child who you now need to be sure understands quite well what is going on with her body so she can be prepared for the reality before her. undecided

Educate yourself please on what your daughter is likely experiencing, along with the possibility emotions that might overwhelm her if they haven't already started. Work with her loving through them if you csn so she is not terrified by the changes happening to her. undecided

Be there for her as a father who understands,not just as a parent. Protect her by being open with her with facts and realities and don't feed her tales but truth.. undecided

There are lots of online materials and support groups to help guide men who are raising their daughters in many of these things. Please take great advantage of them so you can raise the best daughter possible.

https://www.bannerhealth.com/healthcareblog/teach-me/daughters-first-period#:~:text=can%20dads%20do%3F-,Dr.,calm%20as%20well%2C%E2%80%9D%20Dr

9 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Beremx(f): 8:25pm On Feb 26, 2022
I don’t have a daughter yet anyway but from my own experience I started menstruating at 11years, I didn’t have a cramp though.
I was having gists with my male cousin and siblings when all of a sudden I stood up and my male cousin told me there’s blood stains on my cloth. I checked my body and there was no injury. My female cousin who was far older than me quickly entered the house and told me to bathe and she got me a sanitary pad called Simple ( no longer in the market though) . I learned how to put it on mother care pants ( those who grew up in the 80s and 90s will know the pants).
Mum got to know my menstruation had started when she came back from work and the rest is history.
It’s a beautiful experience in every girl’s life

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by jaszplus12(m): 8:28pm On Feb 26, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Mixed feelings? Is it about you?, lipsrsealed

She is truly growing up because she now sees her period? For Pete's sake, she is still a child who you now need to be sure understands quite well what is going on with her body so she can be prepared for the reality before her. undecided

Educate yourself please on what your daughter is likely experiencing, along with the possibility emotions that might overwhelm her if they haven't already started. Work with her loving through them if you csn so she is not terrified by the changes happening to her. undecided

Be there for her as a father who understands,not just as a parent. Protect her by being open with her with facts and realities and don't feed her tales but truth.. undecided
Thank you for your kind words.
Will like you to know that I've had open discussions with my three children and of course always had their emotional and general interest at heart.
As per my mixed feelings yes, even though I should expect changes in their bodies one way or the other I still was mixed in happiness and uncertainty about how SHE will begin to carry on. She's a tough child...

8 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Mariangeles(f): 8:41pm On Feb 26, 2022
jaszplus12:

Thank you for your kind words.
Will like you to know that I've had open discussions with my three children and of course always had their emotional and general interest at heart.
As per my mixed feelings yes, even though I should expect changes in their bodies one way or the other I still was mixed in happiness and uncertainty about how SHE will begin to carry on. She's a tough child...

Girls that have fathers like you are usually very bold and confident.
They don’t relate with feeling inadequate and the need to please just any man, because they were loved and cared for by men whose love matter most - their fathers.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by chinonyinye: 9:01pm On Feb 26, 2022
Just guide her, counsel her and tell her it's normal. Also monitor her to ensure she's not deceived by her peers. All will be well.

Mine started at age 10. I went to poo and my younger sister sat on the bathtub, we were gisting. All of a sudden she ran out shouting blood! Blood!

I was shocked! Kept on searching myself for injury before i saw my stained panties.

My parents were wowed , they were also worried cos it was just too early.

Anyways my mom started her preaching of you are now a woman, if a man touches you now, you will get pregnant. grin

21 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by ahnie: 9:19pm On Feb 26, 2022
My dad bought me my first pad and gave me tutorials on what to expect and congratulated me.

May his humble soul continue to rest in peace

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Mariangeles(f): 9:22pm On Feb 26, 2022
chinonyinye:
Just guide her, counsel her and tell her it's normal. Also monitor her to ensure she's not deceived by her peers. All will be well.

Mine started at age 10. I went to poo and my younger sister sat on the bathtub, we were gisting. All of a sudden she ran out shouting blood! Blood!

I was shocked! Kept on searching myself for injury before i saw my stained panties.

My parents were wowed , they were also worried cos it was just too early.

Anyways my mom started her preaching of you are now a woman, if a man touches you now, you will get pregnant. grin

Omg!
You must’ve been really scared.

2 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by jaszplus12(m): 9:56pm On Feb 26, 2022
Mariangeles:

Girls that have fathers like you are usually very bold and confident.
They don’t relate with feeling inadequate and the need to please just any man, because they were loved and cared for by men whose love matter most - their fathers.
Thank you for your beautiful words... I'll do my best for her and even the boys!

3 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by jaszplus12(m): 9:58pm On Feb 26, 2022
ahnie:
My dad bought me my first pad and gave me tutorials on what to expect and congratulated me.

May his humble soul continue to rest in peace
May his soul rest...Amen!
Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by silibaba: 10:08pm On Feb 26, 2022
jaszplus12:
I'd always loved her even before she was born. And when she came she was my third offspring.
Cute at birth and she grew up with great love and compassion at everything she did.
As a girl child I'd always expected her "firsts" especially growing to from child to preteen and adolescence...
About three weeks ago she came to me and told me she's having cramps at her lower abdomen...I was slightly dazed cos at 12 I least expected she'll begin to have these experiences. But I guess we don't know what to expect!
Again mixed feelings!

Keep her away from zazoo boiz ooo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Ginaz(f): 10:52pm On Feb 26, 2022
when mine started I was really so embarrassed telling my mom and nervous as hell. I told her 2 days later, I remembered being so shy. I learnt about my menstrual cycle via my biological text books . no body taught me anything.

10 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by sisisioge: 11:24pm On Feb 26, 2022
grin grin grin

This is sweet.

1 Like

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by The5DME(m): 11:55pm On Feb 26, 2022
How about the child's mother, isn't she the one who's meant to teach your daughter about stuffs like this?

Ishilove

1 Like

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by emmanuelbrown26: 12:45am On Feb 27, 2022
Op where is d mother of your girl!?
She should be in a better position to lecture your daughter on d new phase of life in womanhood in her (though I don't pray to hv a female child).
@ Ishilove, your attention is needed

2 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Kobojunkie: 2:41am On Feb 27, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:
Op where is d mother of your girl!?
She should be in a better position to lecture your daughter on d new phase of life in womanhood in her (though I don't pray to hv a female child).
Why can't her father be of equally good position to lecture his daughter about the new phase of her life? Papa no fit read and grasp the same books mama go read too? undecided

14 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Kobojunkie: 2:43am On Feb 27, 2022
The5DME:
How about the child's mother, isn't she the one who's meant to teach your daughter about stuffs like this?
Why can't her father teach his daughter these things? undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by frozen70(f): 4:57am On Feb 27, 2022
LilMissFavvy:
I used to think issues like this should be a daughter and mom kind of thing, maybe I'm wrong.

Some father's are close to their children

Children needs who among the parents that will have time for them and give them audience, so with this they can tell you anything

3 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by frozen70(f): 4:58am On Feb 27, 2022
jaszplus12:
Again mixed feelings!

You have a good relationship with your daughter and she got your back and confidence

Good job

6 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by chinonyinye: 6:25am On Feb 27, 2022
Mariangeles:

Omg!
You must’ve been really scared.

Thinking about it now.... I wasn't scared just surprised and confused. My mom comforted and assured me that it was normal so i didn't see it as anything.

The time i was scared was when i missed my period in JSS2. Ọmọ fear wan kill me and i didn't know the cause. I Sha didn't tell my mom, i told one of my big sis and she reassured me that it would come out and it did the next month.

3 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by jaszplus12(m): 7:37am On Feb 27, 2022
frozen70:

You have a good relationship with your daughter and she got your back and confidence

Good job
Thank you sir.... it's an on the job experience
Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by emmanuelbrown26: 8:10am On Feb 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Why can't her father be of equally good position to lecture his daughter about the new phase of her life? Papa no fit read and grasp the same books mama go read too? undecided
Aunty beeke, u wan start

2 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Kobojunkie: 12:49pm On Feb 27, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

Aunty beeke, u wan start
All I did was ask you questions undecided

1 Like

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Nickymezor(f): 2:54pm On Feb 28, 2022
Wow,this brought back some funny memories. I remembered when mine started... Just finished doing number 2, was cleaning up then i noticed blood...Omoh i was scared went to inform my dad( I lost my mum since and my elder sisters were in school then)my daddy didn't know what to tell me, instead he referred me to our neighbor's daughter. I am pretty close to her sha. Met her and I was crying seriously, that I was dying because blood is leaving my body and it might soon finish. She laughed then put me through about the stuff..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Winneygirl(f): 5:31pm On Feb 28, 2022
LilMissFavvy:
Men should know these things too.
It is important that the children have parents who are knowledgeable. Period is not a taboo, or some kind of 'hush hush' process anymore.
Teach kids about their bodies. If you don't teach your kids, they will look for that information outside and in the arms of the wrong people.

5 Likes

Re: My Daughter's First Menses! by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Feb 28, 2022
Winneygirl:

Men should know these things too.
It is important that the children have parents who are knowledgeable. Period is not a taboo, or some kind of 'hush hush' process anymore.
Teach kids about their bodies. If you don't teach your kids, they will look for that information outside and in the arms of the wrong people.
It never should have been that to begin with. A father ought to understand and have ready answers for his girls as well as his boys at every stage of their lives. undecided

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Need Help: He Snores While Sleeping / Can I Marry My Brother's Wife Junior Sister ? / As A Husband What Would You Do If A Man Buys Your Wife A Phone Worth 100k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.