Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media (22913 Views)

Russians Ask Putin To Withdraw From Ukraine On Live TV / Zelensky Says Ukraine Is Ready To Discuss Neutrality - Russian Media / Putin Has Decided To Invade Ukraine On Wednesday - Intelligence Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by GardenOfGod(m): 1:12am On Feb 28, 2022
The Observer
‘Don’t call it a war’ – Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media.

Kremlin clamps down on Facebook and threatens to muzzle outspoken independent news outlets

The Kremlin’s invasion of Ukraine has played through a filter of propaganda here in Moscow, where the authorities appear concerned that ordinary Russians will be disgusted by scenes of missiles striking Kyiv and have sought to cut off the public from that uncomfortable truth.

To do so, the Russian government has taken extraordinary steps by throttling Facebook and threatening to shut independent media outlets such as TV Rain and the newspaper Novaya Gazeta, which published an edition in Russian and Ukrainian this week with the banner headline “Russia is bombing Ukraine”.

The media have been told to use only official government sources for their reports and not to use certain words to describe the operation. According to the Latvian-based Russian news website Meduza, the words are: “Attack, invasion, war.”

The restrictions are a window on how Russia wants to control the picture of its invasion of Ukraine to its own citizens and the unpopular steps, such as slowing and potentially cutting off access to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, the Kremlin is willing to take.

Indeed Twitter confirmed last night that access to the platform had been restricted for some people in Russia, adding that it was “working to keep our service safe and accessible”.

Dmitry Muratov, the editor of Novaya Gazeta, had told the Observer he would defy demands by Roskomnadzor, the media watchdog, to self-censor, saying he would rely only on his own newsroom and special correspondents. Editors at other independent media have said the same. “Propaganda is like radiation,” said Muratov. “And it has touched many here.”

For Russians watching TV, Saturday began like any other: chat shows, old movies, or a programme about renovating your dacha. By the afternoon, it had kicked into high gear, with pundits on debate shows either downplaying or outright denying that an invasion was taking place.

Viewers of Russian television last week might think their country was only involved in a small operation in south-east Ukraine, and that the Ukrainian government was seeking to provoke a larger war.

“I just watched the Russian news specially and I have to say that if I had only watched that then my picture of the world would be completely different,” said Tatyana Stanovaya, the founder of the analysts R.Politik. “I think it’s entirely possible I would support Putin and his military operation.”

The divide has played out strangely in public. In a queue at Sberbank hours after Putin announced the military operation, one woman said loudly that she had been told by a friend in Kharkiv that “Russia’s bombing us.” Others turned to her angrily, as one responded dismissively: “I haven’t heard anything about that.” All were waiting to exchange roubles for dollars, aware that Russia was about to be hammered by sanctions and that the currency was losing its value.

But it can still get worse: in an extraordinary address on Friday evening, Vladimir Putin called on Ukrainian forces to overthrow their government, indicating that his ultimate goal is regime change. “It seems that it will be easier for us to come to an agreement than with this gang of drug addicts and neo-Nazis,” he said.

Ilya Krasilshchik, a former media editor and publisher and then head of a popular online food delivery service, said that he hadn’t listened to Putin’s announcement of a “special operation” because it was too “revolting”.

“I listened to [Volodymyr] Zelenskiy instead,” he said. “As someone said: ‘It’s been a long time since anyone spoke to the Russian people with that kind of love.’”

The Ukrainian president on Saturday spoke directly to the Russian people, thanking those who protested for their opposition to the war. He specifically mentioned prominent Russians like Muratov and the blogger Yury Dud, saying that Ukrainians had heard their effort.

Stop those who lie,” said Zelenskiy. “They lie to us. They lie to you. And they are lying to the whole world. We need to stop this war.”

There is little likelihood that any protests will change Kremlin policy, which appears to be hardening in preparation for a bigger push on Kyiv. But the split in elite support for the operation indicates this will be different from Crimea, where public support was widely seen as about 85%. By contrast, the Levada Centre, an independent polling agency, reported last week that only 45% of Russians supported recognising the Russian-controlled territories in south-east Ukraine. Far fewer are believed to support a full-scale war against Ukraine.

Many of those Russians protesting against the war expressed feelings of anger, complicity, shame, and fear at the road the country was heading down.

It’s mixed feelings of anger, fury, shame, you don’t know what to feel,” said Krasilshchik.

“Your world is falling apart on all fronts. It’s falling apart from within because you understand your reality is going to be completely different. It means everything. Ethical questions, questions about how you are going to live.

“But secondly you realise that at this moment there are people who feel far worse because they are being bombed. My problems… don’t mean anything compared with the problems Ukrainians feel right now.

“And thirdly you can’t even share these feelings because for the whole world you’re a pariah and true evil. And your passport is the passport of the aggressor. You don’t even know where to start.”

Krasilshchik, who has attended protests for more than 15 years, noted that Putin’s problems which had affected the country were quickly becoming those of the whole world.

“I am sure that we are guilty,” said Krasilshchik. “But I don’t understand at what moment we could have done anything differently.”

Many on both sides view this as a point of no return. Ilya Barabanov, a Russian reporter who has covered the war in Ukraine for the BBC, wrote in a first-person article that he felt similarly to how a German living in Kyiv must have felt on the first day of the second world war.

None of his friends had said anything bad to him but a question nagged at him.

“When my reporting trip comes to an end, and when the horror of war subsides, how will I be able to return home, to Russia, to my country, that has done this to Ukraine today?” he said.
Guardian

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Brendaniel: 1:18pm On Feb 28, 2022
Abeg they should just settle their differences and let peace reign, I wanted to say a lot of things here but arguments will be plenty, I don't want to spend all that time arguing on Russia and Ukraine that is far away from me, my concern now is how to remove our grazing route coordinator from office and reject an incoming Owo mi da coordinator...

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by KingEverest: 1:18pm On Feb 28, 2022
grin Russia and propaganda, I guess we should call it a dance or a ball, Putin said he's trying to free the good people of Ukraine from tyranny, drug taking, neo-nazis zelensky government, but the same people he's trying to free are fleeing, the ones staying are fighting against Russia, Russia and propaganda are 5&6 grin

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Abboki: 1:18pm On Feb 28, 2022
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by anonymous1759(m): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
grin
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Oluwatoseenn(f): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
Vladimir Putin can never end well, he will definitely regret all the atrocities he and his foot soldiers commited on Ukraine land

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by uunwanaobong3: 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
am highly disappointed with the European response to Russia....... Instead of trying to de-escalate and negotiate, taking into consideration the concern of both Russia and Ukraine, ..... They are stupid following United States to impose sanctions, sending weapons and fighters into ukraine, forgetting that Russia is a nuclear power with an hypersonic missiles......

Now, due to coordinated western stubbornness, they have taken the world into uncharted nuclear territory... They think that Putin is joking..... If European and American really want to see nuclear war, they should induct Ukraine into EU, NATO or send army into ukraine.

Putin and Russia has nothing to loose, Russia has already been push to the wall by nato expansion, Europe and American sanctions and world condemnation. But western economy, civilization and world Peace is on the line if the war goes nuclear.
I think the United Nations (though is fed and corrupted by America) should warn United States to respect other people's boundaries before this spills into world wide nuclear disaster, believe me, at this moment, Putin is not afraid of using nuclear.... The west has so much to lose than Russia.

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by CryptoTeacher(m): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
Okay. So,what is it then? Friendly air strikes with no intention to maim and kill. Tell me something.
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Simeony007(m): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
H
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by FERNANDEZISBACK: 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
Putin probably think he is playing a video game tho.. cheesy
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by charles2468(m): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
Okay
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Emeskhalifa(m): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Ikem11(m): 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
Ukrainian should hold their government account for this because Ukrainian government gambled with their lives

9 Likes

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by taiwotimitt: 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
the absence of peace is war
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by kayuseful: 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
I guess this is where Lai learnt from
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by SultanOfPuna: 1:19pm On Feb 28, 2022
Ok
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Bellerophon: 1:20pm On Feb 28, 2022
How anyone can readily support a war whose own monger is afraid to even admit is a war to his own people defies humanity and common sense! Humans are conscientious regardless of race, creed or religion! This Putin knows reason he is trying to control the local narrative even within his native Russia! Conscience is an open wound only the truth can heal, this again Putin knows reason he is in an overdrive trying to distort the truth from his own people! Putin’s war has no justification in truth and in logic yet Nigerians far removed from the conflict constantly roam nairaland advertising their shallowness in senseless comments revving support for a senseless war!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by affable4(m): 1:20pm On Feb 28, 2022
Akin to Nigeria on Biafra.

Man's evil to man.

1 Like

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Househelp(m): 1:20pm On Feb 28, 2022
Ukraine Bleep up. Russia is a peaceful country who loves her kid sister Ukraine but Ukraine wants to join two cult groups at the same time. When Russia is done with her, NATO will begin hers

14 Likes

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by janedonez(m): 1:20pm On Feb 28, 2022
Ok
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Yankiss(m): 1:20pm On Feb 28, 2022
You can not close pregnancy with the bare hands. That is an African adage. Sooner or later, the truth will dawn on both Putin, Russia and all else. The world is blinking at world war 111. We have to campaign to end this madness.

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Mossadd: 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2022
Of course that's not war its just a military intervention to stop terrorists USA and TERRORIST ZELSSKY from annihilating good people of Luhansk and Donetsk with the help terrorist USA and TERRORIST BRITAIN say no to double standard of terrorist USA and West.Ukraine must fall. may God bless president PUTIN

6 Likes

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by castilop: 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2022
It's true. I agree.
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by DukeNija(m): 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2022
If one man cooks for the community, the food might be inadequate, but if the whole community cooks for one man, he can never finish eating the food.
The whole world is preparing a meal for Putin, and he’s sweating.
The same dialogue Biden and EU pleaded with him to explore but he refused vehemently is what he’s embracing now. The question is, what changed?
Would you relinquish your winning position in a war in favor of dialogue? That’s the question for every Putin ass licker. Putin is losing the war on all fronts, in Kyiv, Moscow, EU and Economically. He’s losing.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Igbofam2: 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2022
Truth cannot be hidden for long. Russia has brainwashed a lot of it's citizens into thinking the rest of the world hates them so with that zombie mindset anything they are told, they believe.

Only a few have had the strength to protect their minds from those lies
Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Saxxon(m): 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2022
[s]
uunwanaobong3:
am highly disappointed with the European response to Russia....... Instead of trying to de-escalate and negotiate, taking into consideration the concern of both Russia and Ukraine, ..... They are stupid following United States to impose sanctions, sending weapons and fighters into ukraine, forgetting that Russia is a nuclear power with an hypersonic missiles......

Now, due to coordinated western stubbornness, they have taken the world into uncharted nuclear territory... They think that Putin is joking..... If European and American really want to see nuclear war, they should induct Ukraine into EU, NATO or send army into ukraine.

Putin and Russia has nothing to loose, Russia has already been push to the wall by nato expansion, Europe and American sanctions and world condemnation. But western economy, civilization and world Peace is on the line if the war goes nuclear.
I think the United Nations (though is fed and corrupted by America) should warn United States to respect other people's boundaries before this spills into world wide nuclear disaster, believe me, at this moment, Putin is not afraid of using nuclear.... The west has so much to lose than Russia.
[/s]

You keep copying and pasting this stupid comment, is it by force to force your views on people? Nobody cares what your conjure in your little mind so run along!

13 Likes

Re: Propaganda Filters The Truth About Ukraine On Russian Media by Simeony007(m): 1:22pm On Feb 28, 2022
Anything that pulls the traffic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beltus Kwene, Cameroonian Soldier That Died Yesterday / Jailbreak: Ex-guinea Junta Leader Recaptured / UK Police Arrest 64 People For Protesting Against Coronation Of King Charles III

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.