Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity (17485 Views)

Jubilation As Benue State Make Plans To Own & Manage Their Electricity Companies / Nigerian Government Moves To Sell Power Generating Companies, Invites Bids / Shehu Sani Cautions LG Chairmen Spending Money On State Governors’ Directive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Tutu19: 11:56am On Mar 03, 2022
Sometimes someone u hate so much might just do the right thing. As far as I'm concerned, this Buhari I hate so much might have had good plans for this country, they used sickness to distract him. If na only diswan e do in 8 yrs, I will score him 70% I swear.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by elpee2015(m): 11:59am On Mar 03, 2022
It is not that kind of bill per say, it is a bill to amend the constitution to remove the generation, transmission and distribution of power from the exclusive list to the concurrent list. With the amendment, states, local governments and private entities can perform the aforesaid functions. The passing of the bill is just the first step. There are still other procedures to be done before the constitution is finally amended and it comes to fruition.

hayoholla:

The bill is still nor explicitly stated regarding the place where its been stated that, state will be "directly" responsible for the generation of their own electricity, or they will be responsible for transmission and distribution of electricity only. If going by what I read previously, in the assertion that we generate enough electricity, that only transmission and distribution is the problem. Then I believe that states should be responsible for the infrastructure for transmission of electricity, and also state should be handed the power to organise the distribution, by making sure more discos are set up for proper distribution, but this can only be possible, when the infrastructures are already in place.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Babaken(m): 12:09pm On Mar 03, 2022
I think it's time for state like Abia and the state within to revisit Nnaji power project.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Kinematics: 12:13pm On Mar 03, 2022
Jonegonu:
how many power plant is there in port harcourt

Rivers State has more than 3 power plants. That's more than enough for the state.

1. Afam IV-V Power Station (FGN)
2. Afam VI Power Station (IPP)
3. Omoku Power Station (IPP)
4. Omoku II Power Station (NIP)
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Decency2020(f): 12:15pm On Mar 03, 2022
backbencher:

Government does not generate power.

GENCOS do.

Who owns the dams?

Be deceiving yourself there

Retired army generals and old politicians will masquerade themselves in one name and be deceiving the gullible since 1960
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by ufotunang: 12:23pm On Mar 03, 2022
It's very good...at least the state governors will be able to provide constant power v supply to their people in the state.... like akwa ibom state that has a power plant and sub power stations... through that ibom power plant and sub power stations the the state governor will be able to provide constant power supply to people on the state....the burden is too much on the federal government to provide constant electricity light to 200 million Nigerians and to 36 states in nigeria ..the burden is too much... that is why the federal government cannot provide constant power supply to nigerians
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by eseelvis: 12:23pm On Mar 03, 2022
Parachoko:
I don't understand you

Are you saying states will not just generate but also distribute?
yes, is included in the bill

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Joshua12345(m): 12:25pm On Mar 03, 2022
Not all states will do well, some states will use it as a source to enrich their pockets without doing the required expectations.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 03, 2022
Decency2020:

Who owns the dams?

Private companies. Kainji Dam , for example , is owned by a company called Mainstream Energy Solutions LTD.

Be deceiving yourself there

You really don't have to let your emotions get the better of you.

Retired army generals and old politicians will masquerade themselves in one name and be deceiving the gullible since 1960

Well, form your party and run for office, and I may vote for you. I don't like APC or PDP, never have voted for them, and don't want to, and I think you might be better than the retired generals and stuff.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Decency2020(f): 12:30pm On Mar 03, 2022
backbencher:

Private companies.

You really don't have to let your emotions get the better of you.

Well, form your party and run for office, and I may vote for you. I don't like APC or PDP, never have voted for them, and don't want to, and I think you might be better than the retired generals and stuff.

Private companies own the dams. Well you are well learned .

Thank you
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 03, 2022
Decency2020:

Private companies own the dams. Well you are well learned .

Thank you

Thank you.

For more on gencos see here
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Panda7(m): 12:40pm On Mar 03, 2022
many state already have power grid, this will only forster development. its just federal government continued authority to rule one nigeria that is causing under-development.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Craggybogg: 12:43pm On Mar 03, 2022
No changes actually.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by kayuseful: 12:54pm On Mar 03, 2022
Ttalk:

Unless if what I use is no longer electricity. More cheaper, stable, reliable and lasting.
Don't buy the dummy Nigerian government and PHCN is selling, they only giving excuse for their incompetence
What you use, can it power your entire lifestyle? I mean, with heater, iron etc, and can you run 24/7?
Is it solar or generator?
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Sleekfingers: 1:09pm On Mar 03, 2022
Parachoko:
DISCOS don't generate light, they only distribute.

The problem now is that, state might generate, but discos will fail to buy most of what the states are generating

There should be a bill that will make more distribution company start operating as DISCOS too

I might be wrong though.

You are not wrong.....during the tenure of tinubu , lagos was on the verge of generating. But the federal government said, any power generated above a certain megawatts, should be sent to the national grid......
A state like lagos should be not on that useless national grid....... distribution is another problem. ...but investors will gladly embrace lagos.......it will give disco a run for their money......

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Decency2020(f): 1:35pm On Mar 03, 2022
backbencher:

Thank you.

For more on gencos see here

I don't need it because I know I am older than all those frauds.

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CAN'T GENERATE POWER BUT PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 03, 2022
Decency2020:

I don't need it because I know I am older than all those frauds.

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CAN'T GENERATE POWER BUT PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS.

OOOkay, good afternoon....
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by GeneralPula: 1:40pm On Mar 03, 2022
I just dey smile for here..

Naija problem is 5% federal government and 95% Governor’s..

Naija Governors are the worst set of Gov in the world..

Shebi una still dey get light small small... Make una wait make state dey generate light - una go regret ham..

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Parachoko: 1:45pm On Mar 03, 2022
Wrong thread

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by sunnnnyuu(m): 1:48pm On Mar 03, 2022
Starberg:
The National Assembly passed the bill for State to generate their electricity.

These are my views:

1. This will break the monopoly of Discos
2. The State Governors will have no where to hide their inadequates.
3.The people will know whom and where to lodge their complaints.
4.The state governments would want to compete with one another by looking into other source of power like solar etc.
5. Price of services will fall like barbing, photocoping etc.
6. Investors would want to invest in states with adequate electricity supply
7. It will be used as one of the criteria to judge a parforming Governor.
8. Las las Ghana will stop mocking us with light
9. Less attention will be focused on fuel.
State generating it's electricity will be best for naija
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by angelfallz(m): 1:48pm On Mar 03, 2022
The bolded, you mean nothing stops state governments from having refineries?
If that is what you meant, you're wrong. Natural resources in Nigeria are not controlled by the state governments but by the federal government. So, for a state to have a refinery they have to take permission from the federal government.
This is why restructuring is needed. States can't do much until Nigeria is restructured. You can read more on how we got to this level in the article below
https://nairametrics.com/2021/11/15/reviving-palm-oil-exportation-by-solving-the-derivation-controversy/

jmoore:
There will be no significant changes if we still have mediocre governors.
[b]
Nothing stops government from having refineries in their states. [/b]But how many governors in Nigeria built a refinery?
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by jmoore(m): 1:53pm On Mar 03, 2022
angelfallz:
The bolded, you mean nothing stops state governments from having refineries?
If that is what you meant, you're wrong. Natural resources in Nigeria are not controlled by the state governments but by the federal government. So, for a state to have a refinery they have to take permission from the federal government.
This is why restructuring is needed. States can't do much until Nigeria is restructured. You can read more on how we got to this level in the article below
https://nairametrics.com/2021/11/15/reviving-palm-oil-exportation-by-solving-the-derivation-controversy/

Is Dangote refinery owned by Federal government?
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Fastlinkpro: 1:58pm On Mar 03, 2022
Starberg:
The National Assembly passed the bill for State to generate their electricity.

These are my views:

1. This will break the monopoly of Discos
2. The State Governors will have no where to hide their inadequates.
3.The people will know whom and where to lodge their complaints.
4.The state governments would want to compete with one another by looking into other source of power like solar etc.
5. Price of services will fall like barbing, photocoping etc.
6. Investors would want to invest in states with adequate electricity supply
7. It will be used as one of the criteria to judge a parforming Governor.
8. Las las Ghana will stop mocking us with light
9. Less attention will be focused on fuel.

Expect this in WAEC Exams - I use to like this kind question in Exam. I can give 50 Advantages
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by angelfallz(m): 2:01pm On Mar 03, 2022
Is it owned by the the Lagos State government? Did you skip the part where I said permission from the federal government needs to be obtained?
Dangote got permission from the federal government and Lagos State was happy to host his refinery.

jmoore:

Is Dangote refinery owned by Federal government?
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Salim27(m): 2:07pm On Mar 03, 2022
hmm
I guess this will solve our problem. here in Maiduguri we don't have light since February 2021 i.e complete one year
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by rampantlover: 2:25pm On Mar 03, 2022
Ghana don't care about you people....You don't have light and you don't have a president. Jagajaga country
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Gozzy088: 2:28pm On Mar 03, 2022
gaddafe:

I dare you to provide a link to the bill and let's analyse it. The house of Assembly does not have the power to use the word "any means they feel like". Rather states will only generate power with the approved means of generation which will be approved by the federal government. Also that's not even the main issue here as I didn't quote you. Power sector is divided into generation, transmission and distribution. If the house approved state for generating power, it means the federal is still in charge of the other two sections. I bet you didn't know this. Please think we'll next time before quoting me.

House of Representative 298 lawmakers voted in support of the Bill for an Act to alter the provision of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 to allow States generate, transmit and distribute electricity in areas covered by the national grid; and for related matters.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Axis313(m): 2:33pm On Mar 03, 2022
jmoore:
There will be no significant changes if we still have mediocre governors.

Nothing stops government from having refineries in their states. But how many governors in Nigeria built a refinery?
What you said right now got me thinking seriously,if my state government can build and operate a functional refinery,even as a non oil producing state,it will generate enormous income for the state.
Imagine,buying crude oil from NNPC,refine it and come out with like over 20 finished petroleum products like petrol,diesel,kerosene,jet fuel,engine oil,infact they are many,you think that state will be waiting for federal allocation?Never.
And the state will be self sufficient,also petroleum products will be available in the country.
Only if there is seriousness on the side of the government and leakages are blocked to avoid corruption.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Tapout(m): 2:34pm On Mar 03, 2022
talktimi:
four, two at Afam and two at Omoku

There's also a gas turbine somewhere at Trans Amadi.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Tapout(m): 2:35pm On Mar 03, 2022
talktimi:
four, two at Afam and two at Omoku

There's also a gas turbine somewhere at Trans Amadi.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by jmoore(m): 2:58pm On Mar 03, 2022
angelfallz:
Is it owned by the the Lagos State government? Did you skip the part where I said permission from the federal government needs to be obtained?
Dangote got permission from the federal government and Lagos State was happy to host his refinery.

Have any state applied to own/build a refinery and the FG rejected?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shekarau Promises To Deliver Kano, Other States To Atiku / Court Sends Fubara’s Loyalists To Prison After Arraignment On Terrorism Charges / Fuel Price Vs. Minimum Wage In Opec Countries Inc. Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.