Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria (11517 Views)

Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / Should Nigeria Be Divided Into North And South Separate Countries Like Sudan? / How Corruption Works In Countries Like The USA! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 8:34pm On Jun 28, 2011
It is a disgrace how Asian countries like Indonesia and Malaysia produce more palm oil than a country where the plant originated from.

Nigeria used to be the largest exporter of palm oil, but look at the industry now.  angry

This needs to change.

Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by snowdrops(m): 8:42pm On Jun 28, 2011
They have over took us in this for several years. Since Nigeria tasted crude oil, she has never looked back.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 8:43pm On Jun 28, 2011
snowdrops:

They have over took us in this for several years. Since Nigeria tasted crude oil, she has never looked back.

And now they are making millions dollars and euros off of this plant that originated from Nigeria.  angry

[img]http://2.bp..com/-KF_Wg3520rQ/Tc_j0fmmR6I/AAAAAAAAABY/HRaB5S8hZBA/s1600/1.1263174635.palm-oil-plantation.jpg[/img]
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by snowdrops(m): 8:48pm On Jun 28, 2011
Nigeria would be interested if this crop produces quick hard currency.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 8:52pm On Jun 28, 2011
snowdrops:

Nigeria would be interested if this crop produces quick hard currency.

That is why we need to diversify our economy. Palm oil can generate huge returns to those who are patient.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by snowdrops(m): 8:57pm On Jun 28, 2011
There are already individuals growing palm oil, but not large scale enough for export. The federal govt. only gives lip service to this issue, but they are never seriously interested.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 8:59pm On Jun 28, 2011
snowdrops:

There are already individuals growing palm oil, but not large scale enough for export. The federal govt. only gives lip service to this issue, but they are never seriously interested.

This is the same palm oil that the British wanted to control as they penetrated the Eastern hinterland.

Palm oil has many uses that could help our economy.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 9:02pm On Jun 28, 2011
Palm oil offers lucrative returns

By Gerald Chan
The use of palm fruit to extract edible and usable oil has been practiced across continents for centuries, and it remains one of the primary export commodities for Malaysia. Malaysia has been a big part player in the palm oil industry, with an estimated 5% of global productions as of 2006. Malaysia produced 17.7 million tonnes of palm oil in 2008 and is currently the second largest palm oil producer.

Palm oil is extracted from the fruit of the oil palm 'Elaeis guineensis' and palm kernel oil is derived from the seed of the oil palm. Palm oil has been used as a primary cooking ingredient in most countries as it contains less cholesterol compared to conventional cooking oil.

Palm oil use for daily activities has been widely advocated due to its lower costs and also its high oxidative stability when used in cooking. Palm kernel cakes, which are the leftovers of the palm fruit after extraction has been done is also very useful. Palm kernel cakes are widely used as animal feed for cattle for fattening and supplementary feeding due to its high protein content. It can also be used as a source of biomass to fuel up boilers for generating electricity.

The primary part of the industry would be the extraction of the palm oil from the palm fruit. For this particular purpose, specific machines known as oil expellers are used to derive the oil from the seed. The machine consists of an expeller and a screw press machine with a pressing chamber where palm seeds are fed.

This is a delicate process where the machine used pressure and friction from the screw press to transport as well as compress the oil seeds. Oil is then processed from a small opening to prevent solid materials or residue of the seeds from contaminating the extracted oil.

The leftovers of the seeds are then processed out form the other end as palm kernel cakes. There are generally two types of oil expellers - full press expeller and pre press expeller. Full press expellers are used by smaller mills whereas pre press expellers are implemented by large scale oil extraction companies.

There are many advantages of incorporating these oil expellers into the oil processing line. These expellers can help mills and companies achieve an optimum oil yield at low operating costs while incurring less direct costs.

Oil expellers also have the ability to crush all types of edible and non edible palm oil seeds. Palm kernel expeller is a by-product of the crushing and extraction of oil from seeds to gather palm kernel cakes. With the use of pre press expellers, palm kernel expellers are sometimes used along with the machine to gather leftover palm kernel cakes as a separate product.

These palm seed residues would then be sold as a by-product of palm oil to agricultural industries as a feed for ruminants. PGEO group provides quality palm kernel expellers to go along with the oil expeller machines to provide quality assured palm kernel cakes for their specific uses.
Courtesy : EzineArticles.com

[img]http://embassyofindonesia.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Palm-Oil-Business-Week.jpg[/img]
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 9:05pm On Jun 28, 2011
We need to help our farmers.

One cannot live on oil alone! angry

1 Like

Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 9:15pm On Jun 28, 2011

Chijioke, 28, has been farming these trees since he was a boy. He selects a tree that he knows will have ripe palm kernels and hacks away at the hard spiky fronds.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 9:15pm On Jun 28, 2011

"I don’t know how many trees we have, but it must be hundreds," Chijioke says.
Unlike neighbouring countries like Ghana and Cameroon, there are very few large scale plantations in Nigeria.
About 80% of Nigeria’s palm oil is produced by smallholders.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 9:17pm On Jun 28, 2011

In the 1960s an attempt was made to build large-scale plantations for oil palms in Nigeria, but they have all failed.

Nigeria’s agricultural income has withered from almost 100% of GDP to 18%.

A former governor of a palm oil producing state once told journalists he wept when he visited Malaysia and saw how they had benefited from the crop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I share the governor's sentiment. All I can do is weep. cry cry cry
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by aljharem3: 9:33pm On Jun 28, 2011
op

shattap dai angry grin

nigeria can not be the largest producer of palm oil because of 2 things

1. it is graduates like u that hate anythig farming, no one what to be a farmer because it is associated with poverty

2. the most lucrative lands from palmoil plantation is been destroyed by crude oil companies and ijaw mend rubbish
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 28, 2011
Crude oil not oil palm .wait till crude finishes before you start complaining.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by sizzlers(m): 9:48pm On Jun 28, 2011
we ar the largest producer of ground nut fat oil
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 10:01pm On Jun 28, 2011
alj_harem:

op

shattap dai angry grin

nigeria can not be the largest producer of palm oil because of 2 things

1. it is graduates like u that hate anythig farming, no one what to be a farmer because it is associated with poverty

2. the most lucrative lands from palmoil plantation is been destroyed by crude oil companies and ijaw mend rubbish

1. I do not come from a family of farmers, but I see nothing wrong with the profession. Farmers are needed in every society. I wouldn't mind owning an oil palm plantation or two.

2. The most lucrative land for palm oil plantations has always been Igboland. The Ijaws were just middlemen when it came to the trade, but the Igbo hinterland was once the largest source of oil palm.

2 Likes

Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 10:02pm On Jun 28, 2011
sizzlers:

we ar the largest producer of ground nut fat oil

Actually it is China, then India followed by the United States.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jun 28, 2011
The OP failed to mention that Palm Oil is produced in industrial plantations by multinational and local corporations in Indonesia and Malaysia. How can you compare that to subsistence one man oil-palm farms in Nigeria? How can subsistence farming with primitive methods compete with industrial agriculture? In quality, price and packaging?

Are Nigerian companies willing to go into large scale industrial oil palm production? No but we prefer buying and selling! Anything with quick turnover. We are too impatient to invest in long gestation ventures. Companies like Nestle, Kraft etc have subsidiaries that  produce palm-oil and cocoa in Malaysia.

Left to Nigerians, they prefer the government set up state owned / run farms that will be BOUND TO FAIL. Farming in Malaysia and Indonesia is done by giant companies.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 10:13pm On Jun 28, 2011
kalokalo:

The OP failed to mention that Palm Oil is produced in industrial plantations by multinational and local corporations in Indonesia and Malaysia. How can you compare that to subsistence one man oil-palm farms in Nigeria? How can subsistence farming with primitive methods compete with industrial agriculture? In quality, price and packaging?

Are Nigerian companies willing to go into large scale industrial oil palm production? No but we prefer buying and selling! Anything with quick turnover. We are too impatient to invest in long gestation ventures. Companies like Nestle, Kraft etc have subsidiaries that  produce palm-oil and cocoa in Malaysia.

Left to Nigerians, they prefer the government set up state owned / run farms that will be BOUND TO FAIL. Farming in Malaysia and Indonesia is done by giant companies.

I think I have already mentioned this in one of my post. I did not forget to mention that.

Nigerians have no vision.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by aljharem3: 10:16pm On Jun 28, 2011
EzeUche!:

1. I do not come from a family of farmers, but I see nothing wrong with the profession. Farmers are needed in every society. I wouldn't mind owning an oil palm plantation or two.

2. The most lucrative land for palm oil plantations has always been Igboland. The Ijaws were just middlemen when it came to the trade, but the Igbo hinterland was once the largest source of oil palm.

1. that is a very good ideology

2.yeah whether igbo or ijaw or yoruba land, it does not matter. all we want is a good country

even parts of "igboland" the oil company(thanks to FG) have destroyed this lands and it pains me i won't lie

if those governors can do it, it would really be great, SE  is a money bank waiting to be exploded

even u uche, u can finish from USA and come back to nigeria and build something like this , this would be great

it would make employment for nigerians be it yoruba ijaw, hausa etc

Nigeria FG is mess up, i tell u
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by aljharem3: 10:24pm On Jun 28, 2011
kalokalo:

dude, have u heard of Obasanjo farm

do u know the amount of tonnes that farm produce from palm oil alone

just type on google, obasanjo farm

or obasanjo farm in calabar

awolowo also have a palm oil plantaintation in his uni, so i think it as a lot to do with the FG investing in their potential and not any induatial farming
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by aljharem3: 10:25pm On Jun 28, 2011
op i agree with ur topic

nigeria is a disgrace
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Calculia: 10:33pm On Jun 28, 2011
We Igbo's have an eye for international business. EzeUche, we keep on talking about this all the time.(Friends) We even mention Kenya and how much revenue dey make from preserving their natural environment via tourism. Yes the original seed used in indonesia to start this industry was from Nigeria but look wat a billion dollar industry it has become and a major source of revenue adding to the GDP of that country.

Nigeria is run by a bunch of idiots. angry

1 Like

Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 10:49pm On Jun 28, 2011
Calculia:

We Igbo's have an eye for international business. EzeUche, we keep on talking about this all the time.(Friends) We even mention Kenya and how much revenue dey make from preserving their natural environment via tourism. Yes the original seed used in indonesia to start this industry was from Nigeria but look wat a billion dollar industry it has become and a major source of revenue adding to the GDP of that country.

Nigeria is run by a bunch of idiots. angry

I feel like weeping at times when I think about it.

The plant that came from our land has enriched another country while we are still relying on oil. It is pathetic I tell you!
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Calculia: 10:57pm On Jun 28, 2011
It is not too late for us to start to get it right. I tell u dat crude oil will soon be useless to the world mark my words. Renweable source of energy i.e bio fuel and the others will substitute crude oil. All this economy that are heavily reliant on crude oil will weep. All the communities like the Ijaws will begs us for employment and food.

Just look wat the hausas have done to their land and rivers, no good fish, drinking water and fertility of soil reduced. They will regret not fighting wen they had a better chance and died dan to start taking Igbo people property dat people built with their sweat. Ain't does properties old now and can they build new ones with their own sweat or they wait for the property to fall on their heads.

BAD IS BAD, which ever way u look at it.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 28, 2011
alj_harem:

dude, have u heard of Obasanjo farm

do u know the amount of tonnes that farm produce from palm oil alone

just type on google, obasanjo farm

or obasanjo farm in calabar

awolowo also have a palm oil plantaintation in his uni, so i think it as a lot to do with the FG investing in their potential and not any induatial farming

Is Obasanjo Farms owned / run by the Federal Government? And what do you mean by the FG "investing" in agriculture? Is it to set up national farms? Trust me, it will fail like every other agricultural initiatives tried by federal and state governments!

Farming is a business that should only be ventured into by private companies.  Nothing stops you, Ezeuche or me from setting up farming ventures! The crude oil that we are all talking about, is it not the multinational companies that really produce the oil with the Fg being a lazy rent seeker / royalty collector. Withdraw the IOCs and our oil industry will collapse! How many barrels of oil is being produced by the NPDC?

The issue is that most Nigerians are really not interested in farming!
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jun 28, 2011
alj_harem:

1. that is a very good ideology

2.yeah whether igbo or ijaw or yoruba land, it does not matter. all we want is a good country

even parts of "igboland" the oil company(thanks to FG) have destroyed this lands and it pains me i won't lie

if those governors can do it, it would really be great, SE  is a money bank waiting to be exploded

even u uche, u can finish from USA and come back to nigeria and build something like this , this would be great

it would make employment for nigerians be it yoruba ijaw, hausa etc

Nigeria FG is mess up, i tell u

@alj_harem This is your only post that made sense to me, DEVIATION FROM ETHNIC WAR
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Calculia: 11:16pm On Jun 28, 2011
kalokalo:

Is Obasanjo Farms owned / run by the Federal Government? And what do you mean by the FG "investing" in agriculture? Is it to set up national farms? Trust me, it will fail like every other agricultural initiatives tried by federal and state governments!

Farming is a business that should only be ventured into by private companies.  Nothing stops you, Ezeuche or me from setting up farming ventures! The crude oil that we are all talking about, is it not the multinational companies that really produce the oil with the Fg being a lazy rent seeker / royalty collector. Withdraw the IOCs and our oil industry will collapse! How many barrels of oil is being produced by the NPDC?

The issue is that most Nigerians are really not interested in farming!

I don't want to hear anybody use the term Private to refer to the likes of OBJ, IBB, Atiku or Buhari. ever. This gives the impression dat u don't know wat u talk about. These are individual dat have made once State owned enterprise to their family business via gaining political office.

When we talk private, the names that comes to mind are Bill Gates, Richard Bronson, Rupert Mordor, Sir Allen Sugar.
etc These are self made Billionaires that had a modest beginning and their investment and trade could be traced to the level it is today.

Not national treasury looters and national resources oligarchy. I take God beg una oooooooooo!
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 3:54am On Jun 29, 2011
We can continue to argue, but the fact remains that Malaysia and Indonesia are using a plant that originated from Nigeria to make billions of dollars while we only focus on a non-renewable resource.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 4:16am On Jun 29, 2011
^^^ Dude, when are you leaving? angry
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 4:32am On Jun 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ Dude, when are you leaving? angry

I said in July. Now stop worrying me and comment on this thread. angry
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 4:38am On Jun 29, 2011
EzeUche!:

I said in July. Now stop worrying me and comment on this thread. angry

Sorry.

So how do you propose we change things? Why do you always complain about ish when you yourself have no solution or any direct method of getting involve. Keep in mind, internet complaints and suggestions are indirect methods.

First of all, before we "change "this , we need to analyze the cause of Nigeria's drop in production of palm oil. Any suggestions? And if any, how can we change it?

i.e Has farming land for such production and harvest reduced? Are Nigerians putting more efforts into quick productions which bring larger money like . . . .?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibori To Appeal Conviction Following New Cover Up Evidence / Hillary Eta: Giadom Not Competent To Call APC NEC Meeting / 19 Northern Speakers Proffer Solutions To Security Challenges Facing Region

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.