Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,909 members, 7,799,060 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) (2658 Views)

This Chicken Grows As Big As A Turkey!! Brahma Chicken Breed / The Sebright: Have You Seen This Popular Chicken Breed Before? (Photos) / Have You Heard About The Weird Naked Chicken Breed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 05, 2022
The Onagadori (‘honorable fowl’ in Japanese) is a rare chicken breed known for its exceptionally long tail, which can reach over 10 meters, putting even peacocks to shame.

Of the seventeen chicken breeds considered Japanese national treasures, the Onagadori is the only one to have “special” status. Ever since it received this status in 1952, exports of Onagadori birds and eggs were forbidden, so there are very few specimens, if any, found outside of Japan today.

The breed is famous for the non-molting, and thus incredibly long tails of roosters, which, if kept in the best conditions with high levels of animal husbandry, can grow for the lifetime of the bird.

The history of long-tailed fowl can be traced back thousands of years, but the Onagadori breed is believed to have been created in the seventeenth century, in Japan’s Tosa Province, on Shinkoku island. Its exact heritage is unknown, but experts believe that it was derived from other long-tail breeds like the Shokoku, Totenko and perhaps the Minohiki.

Onagadori roosters owe their majestic tails to a mutation of their ‘nm’ (non-molting) genes, which allows them to keep their tail feathers forever, but also to “gt” and “sg” genes which cause the rapid growth of the very same feathers.

Interestingly, Onagadori hens molt normally, while roosters never shed their tail feathers, and only shed the rest of their plumage every three years. This was actually one of the reasons European breeders didn’t really like the breed originally, because it meant that they would keep their frayed and damaged feathers for a long time instead of continually replacing them.

Because the Onagadori also had trouble adjusting to the European climate and habitat, breeders started crossing them with local breeds to keep some of the genetics of the Onagadori while making the new birds more resilient. That’s how the German Phoenix came to be. It looks very similar to the Onagadori, but molts more frequently than the Japanese fowl.

To be classified as a pure Onagadori, a rooster must have a tail of at least 1.5-meters-long. Considering that, under the right conditions, an Onagadori’s tail feathers can grow by 90 cm per year, roosters with tails measuring several meters are very common. The record currently stands at 11.3 meters.

Apart from the length of their tails, Onagadori roosters are also priced according to the number of Kawari-honge. This is a special type of feather in their tails, being the widest of them all. The number of these feathers can range from 1 to 4, so if a bird has four Kawari-honge, it is very sought-after by breeders and will thus fetch a high price.

The Onagadori breed is currently listed as endangered, with only around 250 birds being kept by 250 breeders. One of the reasons for this may be that the hens are poor egg layers (around 25 eggs per year).
Source: https://www.odditycentral.com/animals/onagadori-a-japanese-chicken-breed-with-majestically-long-tails.html

cc: lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by DenreleDave(m): 7:07pm On Mar 05, 2022
angry

1 Like

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by CatANDratTHEORY: 7:08pm On Mar 05, 2022
This is just so lovely, God is really marvelous grin

I'm waiting for Righteousness2 to come and link this to rapture grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Shalommy(f): 7:09pm On Mar 05, 2022
Weird things like this only happen in oyibo land. cheesy
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Sarashonk: 7:12pm On Mar 05, 2022
lovely pics shocked
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by illicit(m): 7:12pm On Mar 05, 2022
Very easy to steal

grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by F22RAPTOR(m): 7:13pm On Mar 05, 2022
Magnificient. They should be protected before some people start thinking of attaching those feathers to their heads.

1 Like

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by budaatum: 7:13pm On Mar 05, 2022
Shalommy:
Weird things like this only happen in oyibo land. cheesy

Where they produce enough food they can make fowls honourable.

We Nigerians will become productive. One day.
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by suffering: 7:19pm On Mar 05, 2022
All that and it’ll have very little meat. It reminds me of local turkeys, those things look big from puffed up feathers but the meat doesn’t last more than three days.

2 Likes

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Ishilove: 7:25pm On Mar 05, 2022
illicit:
Very easy to steal

grin
As in ehn grin

1 Like

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Ishilove: 7:26pm On Mar 05, 2022
I'm doubting if they are bred for meat because of their endangered status.
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by budaatum: 7:30pm On Mar 05, 2022
Ishilove:
I'm doubting if they are bred for meat because of their endangered status.

They are not bred for meat is the point. They have enough food in Japan that they can breed fowls for the lenght of it's tail.

I tried it once but area boys got hungry and ate it.

3 Likes

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Ishilove: 7:32pm On Mar 05, 2022
budaatum:

They are not bred for meat is the point. They have enough food in Japan that they can breed fowls for the lenght of it's tail.

I tried it once but area boys got hungry and ate it.
Lmao!! The black man in Africa has two major weaknesses; hunger and poverty

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by budaatum: 7:34pm On Mar 05, 2022
illicit:
Very easy to steal

grin

Not quite, least not in Japan where they seem to have fewer thieves and more worthy things to steal.

Besides, it's a national treasure, which means the people of the nation protect it instead of destroy it.
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Nobody: 7:41pm On Mar 05, 2022
I hope they are not worshipping it.

Looks irritating. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by illicit(m): 7:46pm On Mar 05, 2022
budaatum:

Not quite, least not in Japan where they seem to have fewer thieves and more worthy things to steal.

Besides, it's a national treasure, which means the people of the nation protect it instead of destroy it.

It's easy to steal

That's why it's going extinct
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Mystic969: 7:49pm On Mar 05, 2022
Mercychen:
I hope they are not worshipping it.

Looks irritating. undecided

It looks cool
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by ShaqFu: 7:57pm On Mar 05, 2022
All the same it'll still taste like chicken, no?. grin

1 Like

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by budaatum: 8:00pm On Mar 05, 2022
illicit:

It's easy to steal

The article gave a reason so you don't need to make up one!

The Onagadori breed is currently listed as endangered, with only around 250 birds being kept by 250 breeders. One of the reasons for this may be that the hens are poor egg layers (around 25 eggs per year).

2 Likes

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by CheedyJ(m): 8:06pm On Mar 05, 2022
illicit:
Very easy to steal

grin
Nigerians wey dey fear pass anything, I'm sure they won't dare steal it bkus to them it looks weird & may just be a demonic or evil fowl...na blood of Jesus dem go scream & run by..
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Ecos(m): 8:17pm On Mar 05, 2022
Rapture go soon take place finally cry
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by FaceTanke: 8:39pm On Mar 05, 2022
Must be a burden than beauty
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by illicit(m): 9:14pm On Mar 05, 2022
budaatum:

The article gave a reason so you don't need to make up one!

That is one of the reasons

Read ur qoute again

Slowly this time undecided
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by budaatum: 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2022
illicit:

That is one of the reasons

Read ur qoute again

Slowly this time undecided

I do not think I can read it slowly enough to see where "easy to steal" is given for a reason the Onagadori hens are facing extinction.

In fact, what I see is that they are "listed as endangered", which means they are protected and therefore will be much harder to steal. But please, do read it slowly for me and highlight the relevant bits so I can be educated.
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by illicit(m): 9:22pm On Mar 05, 2022
budaatum:

I do not think I can read it slowly enough to see where "easy to steal" is given for a reason the Onagadori hens are facing extinction.

In fact, what I see is that they are "listed as endangered", which means they are protected and therefore will be much harder to steal. But please, do read it slowly for me and highlight the relevant bits so I can be educated.

One of the reasons is that they lay fewer eggs...

It's there, you quoted it from the OP
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by budaatum: 9:27pm On Mar 05, 2022
illicit:

One of the reasons is that they lay fewer eggs...

It's there, you quoted it from the OP

I thought you said the reason was:
illicit:

It's easy to steal

Are you now agreeing it's not because of theft as you claimed?
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by illicit(m): 9:29pm On Mar 05, 2022
budaatum:

I thought you said the reason was:
Are you now agreeing it's not because of theft as you claimed?

One of the reasons they are going extinct is that they lay fewer eggs

You should get my point now
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by budaatum: 9:56pm On Mar 05, 2022
illicit:

One of the reasons they are going extinct is that they lay fewer eggs

You should get my point now

So, not because "It's easy to steal", as you falsely claimed?
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by illicit(m): 10:16pm On Mar 05, 2022
budaatum:

So, not because "It's easy to steal", as you falsely claimed?
ONE of the reasons is fewer eggs

U should get my point at this point now

1 Like

Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by IamAsiri: 10:43pm On Mar 05, 2022
This is serious! shocked
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by Kharol1234: 1:48am On Mar 06, 2022
Celebrity fowl

Who remember COW AND CHICKEN, cartoon
Re: The Honorable Fowl: A Rare Chicken Breed With Exceptionally Long Tail (Photos) by MrBachelor: 2:37am On Mar 06, 2022
That tail is more of a curse than a gift.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Egg Laying Enhancing Supplement For 500naira Only / Plans For My Cucumber Farm / How To Preserve Tons Of Beans Against Weevils Attack!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.