Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,081 members, 7,807,233 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago (66035 Views)

Battleship Island: Once World's Most Populated City Abandoned 47 Years Ago(Pics) / WWII Plane Recovered From Black Sea After Crashing 77 Years Ago(Pics) / Man Saved By His Seat Belt After Falling Off A Bridge In Ghastly Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Divoc19(f): 2:50pm On Mar 30, 2022
I couldn't agree more with your initial post
ednut1:
Mention too much lol
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Judolisco(m): 2:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
WibusJaga:
cheesy

Quite interesting.

But of a truth, if not for the coming of the white man & their influence on blacks, blackman would have still been killing twins & hunting rabbits & Squirrels naked in the bush. grin
not really man... White people 2 were once very primitive... When the whites came, they met Kings like ooni of ife, alaafin of oyo, oba of binin, emir of kano... Etc Na sign of development bdat now
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by caye(m): 2:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
WibusJaga:
cheesy

Quite interesting.

But of a truth, if not for the coming of the white man & their influence on blacks, blackman would have still been killing twins & hunting rabbits & Squirrels naked in the bush. grin

Were you talking about the Akan empire of Ghana, the Zulus, Ashanti's whose dress designs intrigued even the Europeans, or the Yoruba's who deitified the twins as sent from Olodumare?
Pls specify

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by MadamOk(f): 3:00pm On Mar 30, 2022
oh woah good to know
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by DawnG1(m): 3:02pm On Mar 30, 2022
Childofaking:
Mary slessor did a great work in Nigeria. On a 10 pounds note in Scotland, is the picture of mary slessor and her missionary route in Nigeria on the other side of the currency, you can see arochukwu clearly written on that currency

Not only Aro Chukwu, the whole area which she operated are written there, starting from the main area in the old Calabar region, Ibibio, Odoro Ikpe, Ekoi, Okpo, Assang, IkotObong and the rest.

Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by caye(m): 3:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
hucknall:
That's not true. The colonial masters came for business while
missionaries came to spread the Gospel.

Stop spreading lies.

Colonialism had a 2 edged sword: the missionaries came to soften the would-be conquered people through religious indoctrination, while the soldiers and businessmen came to take away indigenous Lands, government and people for their own country's benefits only. The Bible and the gun went hand in hand.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by MetaPhysical: 3:08pm On Mar 30, 2022
massmediang:
I met the only surviving twin saved by Mary Slessor over 100 years ago (Video)

Mary Slessor was a missionary posted from Scotland to Calabar in Nigeria by the Presbyterian Church in 1876. She also lived in Arochukwu Nigeria during her missionary work. Mary Slessor stopped the killing of twins in Nigeria Calabar and she achieved this by saving a lot of twins either left in the bush to die or from their homes where their mothers hid them.
One of the twin babies Mary Slessor saved by herself before the killing of twins was finally abolished is Mgbeafor Okereke. I met her in her home in Amasu, Arochukwu, where I had an amazing interaction with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-apkGyAt0Ck
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Jaqenhghar: 3:09pm On Mar 30, 2022
massmediang:

Mary Slessor was a missionary posted from Scotland to Calabar in Nigeria by the Presbyterian Church in 1876. She also lived in Arochukwu Nigeria during her missionary work. Mary Slessor stopped the killing of twins in Nigeria and she achieved this by saving a lot of twins either left in the bush to die or from their homes where their mothers hid them.
One of the twin babies Mary Slessor saved by herself before the killing of twins was finally abolished is Mgbeafor Okereke. I met her in her home in Amasu, Arochukwu, where I had an amazing interaction with her.

Wow! That's some history there. How did you even find this woman?
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by baby124: 3:11pm On Mar 30, 2022
Loewe:

Are u saying they weren't killing kids? Are you saying till today Africans don't sacrifice their fellow humans for fetish rituals? Are u saying the history was false...

Abeg Africans no try at all. The colonization was necessary and till date we prove them right cos we haven't managed the country well.
Fetish rituals is all over the world. All of human kind practice it. Even till today. Don’t look down on Africans like that.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Jaqenhghar: 3:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
WibusJaga:
cheesy

Quite interesting.

.....and what's wrong in hunting rabbits and squirrels naked? It kept your ancestors going. They survivd on it. You should be grateful instead of sounding like a self hating coon

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by DawnG1(m): 3:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Nigerialabalaba:
"Mary Slessor stopped the killing of twins in Nigeria Calabar and she achieved this by saving a lot of twins either left in the bush to die or from their homes where their mothers hid them."

OP and mods, abeg help us edit the error o. Na for Calabar dem dey kill twins and still dey kill twins today for Calabar till today
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/02/witchcraft-man-to-die-by-hanging-for-poisoning-11-year-twin-daughters-in-cross-river/amp/
but no be for Nigeria abeg.
Killing of twins neva stop for Calabar o
she no stop shishi!

For Yorubaland, twins are given special courtesies and endearment so tey dem dey pray for every new bride to born twins.
So many Yoruba songs, oriki and proverbs praise ibeji (twins) so tey dey are regarded as dieties to be worhipped for fertility.

Some families get up to 4 generations of twins for Yorubaland and na Yorubaland even get the highest rate of multiple births for the whole world.
For the Yoruba, Twins be like gods and prized gift from orisha ibeji. To maltreat dem sef go fear you let alone kill dem. You touch dem,ur own don cast finish be dat!

Abeg replace the Nigeria with calabar

cc seun lalasticlala dominique mynd44

That does not stop the fact that Calabar is in Nigeria, the post you showed about killing of twins in Calabar is as a result of the ignorant believe they are witches not because they are twins; twins killing has stopped in Nigeria and in Calabar in particular.

What you should talk and concern about is the misleading of fake prophets that label innocent children witches and wizard that leads the ignorant and foolish parents to abandon them to die or even kill them.

In that Yoruba land you are talking about, skulls and vital human parts are mined; does that mean Yoruba land is not Nigeria or part of Nigeria?
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Jaqenhghar: 3:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
Loewe:

Are u saying they weren't killing kids? Are you saying till today Africans don't sacrifice their fellow humans for fetish rituals? Are u saying the history was false...

Abeg Africans no try at all. The colonization was necessary and till date we prove them right cos we haven't managed the country well.
Are you saying things were manged well under the whites? They only exploited you and made sure they were comfortable. They did nothing for you.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Owopariola01: 3:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
DawnG1:

Not only Aro Chukwu, the whole area which she operated are written there, starting from the main area in the old Calabar region, Ibibio, Odoro Ikpe, Ekoi, Okpo, Assang, IkotObong and the rest.

No longer in use as at 1st March 2018. The present one has Front: Robert Burns; Back: Old and New Towns of Edinburgh.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by DawnG1(m): 3:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
unmask:
And Calabar is where again?

I tire for the guy with his tribalised mindset o.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by DawnG1(m): 3:18pm On Mar 30, 2022
Owopariola01:

No longer in use as at 1st March 2018. The present one has Front: Robert Burns; Back: Old and New Towns of Edinburgh.

Yeah I noticed that.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by DawnG1(m): 3:27pm On Mar 30, 2022
obedience4:

Why are writing in English..
Why not use the language your forefathers use??

grin grin grin
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 30, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

Are you saying things were manged well under the whites? They only exploited you and made sure they were comfortable. They did nothing for you.

So you are angry they stopped the killing of twins? undecided
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by usah4(m): 3:46pm On Mar 30, 2022
How old is she??
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Thebigheart: 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
crestedaguiyi:
brain washed Africans, tueh.

marry slessor story of saving twins is dumb and stupid

The same way slave trade story is dumb.

I blame the government for not making history compulsory.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by moststylish(m): 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
Childofaking:
Mary slessor did a great work in Nigeria. On a 10 pounds note in Scotland, is the picture of mary slessor and her missionary route in Nigeria on the other side of the currency, you can see arochukwu and other places where she worked clearly written on that currency
liar liar,prove it
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by adedamola777: 3:53pm On Mar 30, 2022
Mary Slessor didn't stop the killing of twins in "Nigeria". She (reportedly) stopped the killing of twins in that part of the Protectorate (Country).
The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they aren’t true, but they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Research, Read extensively and get educated, young man. No shades.

massmediang:

Mary Slessor was a missionary posted from Scotland to Calabar in Nigeria by the Presbyterian Church in 1876. She also lived in Arochukwu Nigeria during her missionary work. Mary Slessor stopped the killing of twins in Nigeria and she achieved this by saving a lot of twins either left in the bush to die or from their homes where their mothers hid them.

Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by adedamola777: 3:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
Not true.

WibusJaga:
cheesy

Quite interesting.

Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Mamak1(m): 3:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
Thank you mama Mary ooo, if not for u eeh
My soft ENE would av been killed
grin
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by FoolishBoy419: 4:01pm On Mar 30, 2022
WibusJaga:
cheesy

Quite interesting.

What a disgraceful comment. Many parts of Africa, including northern Nigeria had some levels of civilization before the white man came.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by grandstar(m): 4:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
In Igbo land if you wanted to curse someone, you'll say "may you have twins!" grin grin grin

In Yoruba land, twins were also taboo. What's weird is that Yoruba people have the highest percentage of twins globally of their population. Yoruba twins always bear 2 names which are Taiwo and Kehinde.

Taiwo means" go and taste life". The real meaning is "first go and see how life is".
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Oscillator: 4:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
WibusJaga:
cheesy

Quite interesting.

you must be your parents' mistakes!
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by JuanDeDios: 4:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
WibusJaga:
cheesy

Quite interesting.

No, we won't. We won't have abolished the killing of twins when we did, but we would have done so eventually. Remember that the whites once had some of these barbaric practices too but changed them with TIME.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Pearlyakin(m): 4:24pm On Mar 30, 2022
treatise:

Replicas of what would have become of us can be found in Papau New Guinea :
That would be you and your ancestors, because my own ancestors had a great civilization and even have an empire, you can Google Oyo Empire, you guys should stop talking down on your heritage and culture.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Childofaking: 4:24pm On Mar 30, 2022
moststylish:
liar liar,prove it

Instead of you to just do a quick google search on what i wrote, you just started writing nonsense.

Is that how you learn ?

i was actually on a vacation in the Uk and i was at Edinburgh, i received a change for 10 pounds and my eyes just saw Arochuku on the currency
and i said this look like a nIgerian something and i look again and saw other towns in Nigeria. it was when i turned the note and saw Mary Slessor's picture that i understood. Scotland gave her great honour for her missionary work in Nigeria.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Pearlyakin(m): 4:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
grandstar:
In Igbo land if you wanted to curse someone, you'll say "may you have twins!" grin grin grin

In Yoruba land, twins were also taboo. What's weird is that Yoruba people have the highest percentage of twins globally of their population. Yoruba twins always bear 2 names which are Taiwo and Kehinde.

Taiwo means" go and taste life". The real meaning is "first go and see how life is".
Get your facts right pls, Twins were never a taboo in Yoruba land infact they are deified in the odu ifa corpus
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by JuanDeDios: 4:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
internationalman:

You would have said the same thing if there was killing for money ritual and they stopped it.. How is killing of twins more barbaric than killing and extractibg body parts for money ritual..

Nigerians are barbaric and might have still been killing twins if they didn't stop it..

Everything the colonial masters changed positively or negatively, still have a lasting effects till date. That's why we are still unknowingly slaves to them.
There was human sacrifice and efforts were made to stop it. In my place, a man used to be beheaded when the king dies but this was stopped. It's unfortunate the Yoruba champions of Oro and co didn't listen and these barbaric practices still continue secretly. It's unfortunate about money ritual killing too.
Re: Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago by Pearlyakin(m): 4:27pm On Mar 30, 2022
WibusJaga:
cheesy

Quite interesting.

That would be you and your ancestors, because my own ancestors had a great civilization and even have an empire, you can Google Oyo Empire, you guys should stop talking down on your heritage and culture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Introduction Letter To UK Embassy / Captain Ibiyemi, 25-Year-Old Female Pilot & Passengers Take Selfie / Beautiful Drone Shots Of Maitama, Abuja By Nora Awolowo, A Female Drone Pilot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.