Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? (69823 Views)

Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. / Capacity Of Nigerian Car Manufacturing Industry Rises By 50% / Nigerian Car-assembled by nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
fratochi: Please what's the best oil for the nissan xterra and what is the minimum duration for change of oil

The best oil is synthetic oil (0w - 20) that is if your nissan xterra is 2011 - date or you just pop your hood and see whats written in oil cover, you cant miss it. Also note that if you bought your xterra as 'belgium' then you cant really say the condition of your engine as to the nature of wear and tear from the previous owner. Read through the thread you will see some more explanation.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by banky3w(m): 10:14am On Oct 14, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]I love this thread. i'll travel down to Abuja and find gudu market to buy 5w 30. I pray my seals are not leaking already.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Ojaysport: 11:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
what is d best type of oil to use for mazda 626
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by alstacs(m): 7:20am On Oct 26, 2013
I am sincerely impressed with the quality of knowledge being impacted here by so many scholarly articles. This is unlike many section sections of Nairaland where people bully themselves with thoughts of heads. I sincerely never knew cars have specified oils for them till I came across this thread.
It is a surprise that the so called experts in many service sections of stations don't know what oil a car should use. My oil cap reads 5w-30 and what they can make of that is that any expensive oil in the range of N5000-10000 will do. I've been using Total 20w-50 for almost 3 years now on my camry.
My question is, can I switch over to the recommended? Or is too late to do that? In addition, which of the companies sell 5w-30 in Nigeria? Mobil? Or Total?
Are transmission fluids also specified for cars too? If they are, how do I know where it is?
Pls help a brother.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by alstacs(m): 7:41am On Oct 26, 2013
banky3w: [color=#000099][/color]I love this thread. i'll travel down to Abuja and find gudu market to buy 5w 30. I pray my seals are not leaking already.
Where in Gudu market? I hope our brothers there as are not selling funny oils there packaged as genuine....... This is one big problem with automobile parts and accessories in Nigeria
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by anneki(m): 11:16am On Nov 14, 2013
5w-20 and 5w-30 oils are available from a company called Crystal Express Resources. They are based in Abuja. Their numbers are 0806 313 0991. They sell the Milemaster brand which is made in USA. The oil manufacturers website is www.milemasterlubricants.com
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by ican2020: 7:03am On Nov 21, 2013
Please, i need help.

My Benz 300E couple (VBoot) is not working fine.

Since the engine oil is liking and I had to buy oil from road side to top it up.
Though the temperature rise a little than it was initially,
but my major problem now is that it stops when ever I slow down.

What could be the problem.
Is it the oil top up

Can I go ahead and allow my mechanic to change the oil sea because I don't want the engine to have any problem

What oil will you guys recommend for me.
Your help will be appreciated please.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by USPlaceofAutos: 4:05pm On Feb 06, 2017
For best performance of your car engine, one of the things you need to know is what type of oil your car needs. Car owner often seems overwhelmed because there are different types of Engine oil out there especially because all brands promises to do different things.
To choose the proper type of oil for your vehicle, refer to your manufacturer’s manual because that is where you can get the right viscosity oil e.g. 0W30, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, etc. In cases where you can’t find the manual, it’s also common to see the recommended oil printed on the oil cap under the hood.
Factors to consider when choosing the right Engine Oil

How hot or cold the climate is: the lower the number before the “W’, the better the oil works in cold weather.
Additives: these are effective as anti-oxidant, anti-wear and anti-corrosion inhibitors
Viscosity ratings: this is the oil’s resistance to flow. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and this makes it flow easier. In 5W-30 oil, for example, the 5W is an index that refers to how the oil flows at low temperatures (in winter); 30 refer to how it flows at high temperatures.
Automaker’s standard: it is important to use oil that meets this standard. This commonly includes American Petroleum Institute (API) Certification, International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.
Synthetic oil? : Newer generation of cars come straight from the factory with synthetic oil and some auto manufacturers recommend it. It is good to put the following into consideration:
• The type of oil you have been using
• The type recommended by the owner’s manufacturer
• The type of climate you live in
• How old your vehicle is
• How old your vehicle engine is

DuraMAX Full Synthetic Motor Oil is manufactured in the USA, it is API rated and is available in the following SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 0W-20

...the engine oil that puts more money in your pocket

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by USPlaceofAutos: 12:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
DuraMAX lubricants are made in the USA, cheaper than most of the other oils manufactured in the USA even though they have passed through the same standards. DuraMAX Engine Oil is fully licensed and meets or exceed the most complex and rigorous international standards including the most recent API-SN and ILSAC- GF 5 certification. Based on manufacturer’s recommendation, both the Full Synthetic and Synthetic blend of lubricants are suitable for use in a combine estimate of 99 percent of today’s vehicular application.

DuraMAX Full Synthetic Oil are available in 5W-20, 5W-30, 0W-20. Check it out today!!!

You can also buy DuraMAX from [url=/us-place-of-autos]Konga[/url]

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 13, 2017
anneki:
I hope nairalanders will find these charts useful.

Bro do you have the chart for Mitsubishi?
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by xcaper(m): 5:47pm On Nov 12, 2017
What type of oil can one use to service toyota camry 2011/2012 model? How much is it?
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by autotrader2: 6:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
xcaper:
What type of oil can one use to service toyota camry 2011/2012 model? How much is it?

Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 5w20. its 3k per litre. Call 09086679585 to get it. Free Nationwide Shipping

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by jossytech(m): 7:10pm On Nov 12, 2017
Mine is 1998 Toyota Camry bought in May 2015 I've been using 20w50 for over 2 years n got 130700 mileage can I safely switch to 5w30/ that was recommended for my vehicle or I can I can use total 10w40. Please enlighten me

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by autotrader2: 7:51am On Nov 13, 2017
jossytech:
Mine is 1998 Toyota Camry bought in May 2015 I've been using 20w50 for over 2 years n got 130700 mileage can I safely switch to 5w30/ that was recommended for my vehicle or I can I can use total 10w40. Please enlighten me

Thanks

1998 engine! Just continue using what you have been using. No point upsetting the engine in its final days
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by akumaris(m): 12:43pm On Nov 13, 2017
what is the best oil for 2012 sienna
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by jossytech(m): 1:48pm On Nov 13, 2017
@ autotrader? you means the engine is abt to spoil, well, thanks for the message, but ive seen 233k mileage, 300k camry and corrola still doing fine,thanks
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Nobody: 6:19am On Nov 14, 2017
cretin:

pls cud some knowledgeable peeps shed more light on this issue,
what grade of oil is good to use for cars in nigeria, bearing in mind  our ambient tempreture.
my car is auto 4wd  and has abt 120k miles,
my mechanic advised me to be using mobil super xhp 20w 50, but from the info am getting, it seems thats not the right oil to use.

nb:i dont wanna switch to synthetics, unless the person can prove to me that switching wudnt damage my engine seals  and that the high cost of synthtics  is comensurate with the improved mpg  and  longer duration of use

given that this post is 2011, i reserve my commment.. but 2011 post on fp? mod must be on some other form of lsd
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Nobody: 6:26am On Nov 14, 2017
each car/engine has its suited engine grade. just look at the engine oil hole cover you will see the grade that suit ur engine and stop asking stupid questions
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by d33types: 6:26am On Nov 14, 2017
The first page was Nairaland at its glory days.. Not now..

4 Likes

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Nobody: 6:26am On Nov 14, 2017
angry service my camry 2006 with mobil xhp, been previously using mobil 1. If i change back any danger
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by timifakay(m): 6:36am On Nov 14, 2017
yeyerolling:
angry service my camry 2006 with mobil xhp, been previously using mobil 1. If i change back any danger

Hace you been sticking to good service interval like 300km or less?
There's only one sure way to find out. But you have to watch closely for oil burn.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Stylz69(m): 6:40am On Nov 14, 2017
Simple answer: the one recommended by the manufacturer as contained in the operating manual or written on the oil filler cap
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Nobody: 6:48am On Nov 14, 2017
timifakay:

Hace you been sticking to good service interval like 300km or less?
There's only one sure way to find out. But you have to watch closely for oil burn.
3000 u mean
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by dometome: 6:59am On Nov 14, 2017
the best oil grade to use is the one recommended by the manufacturer of your car.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Nobody: 7:41am On Nov 14, 2017
cyrilfosy:
each car/engine has its suited engine grade. just look at the engine oil hole cover you will see the grade that suit ur engine and stop asking stupid questions

There's no such thing as a stupid question.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by timifakay(m): 7:42am On Nov 14, 2017
yeyerolling:
3000 u mean
Yea! 3,000km
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Greatidonis: 7:49am On Nov 14, 2017
I use synthetic but Pls I have this issue I do wonder about after about 4000KM my car maintenance alarm comes on, must I service it again? knowing that the synthetic is more durable and should have worked for longer?
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Greatidonis: 8:06am On Nov 14, 2017
timifakay:

Yea! 3,000km

A better oil can't give one longer mileage before change?
If so why use one that cost so much na cool
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by highchief1: 8:21am On Nov 14, 2017
gateleo:

please which Engine Oil will you recommend for Mitsubishi Carisma 1998 Model
Engine Size = 1.6
Auto.

Thank you
buy a new car pls
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by billyG(m): 8:25am On Nov 14, 2017
Piedpiper:
Cretin,
You know the answer but you are fighting it. Surely you can see the sticker or the embossed oil grade in the engine bay. And yes 5W 30 will take you to the synthetic range. Yes it cost more , but it requires longer interval changes as it degrades slower. Yes, it does not burn nor oxidise as much as the regulars we make here thus producing less sludge which damages your engine. Yes , while using synthetice you no longer require the ubiquitous oil treatment. Yes, our temperature is on average higher than that specified but you must also not that the range for synthetics is wider than that for organics.
Summary: Use synthetics if you can afford it and change it twice a year, or use the regulars and change em every six weeks . Do note that your kind of driving influences the duration also i.e stop and go, short distances on average e.t.c
how can 1 b changing oil every 6wks,synthetic twice a yr ke!haba!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic / Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos) / Mercedes-Benz C300 Used In Selling Local Herbs In Kaduna (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.