Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. (86427 Views)

Dozens Killed As Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Greece / Parenting In Canada...lets Connect !!!! / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 9:12am On Jun 06, 2022
bunsuq:
I hope to be in UK by August on a tier 2 visa but my family will join me later on, possibly by December or January.
Please, how do I sort the children's school out as school would have resumed in UK by September? Do Primary and secondary admits within the year? Thank you

September Intake is typically sorted by February in most UK councils. However, your best bet would be to reach out to your local council as soon as the kids arrive. If they are of school age they will place them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mumzt: 9:55am On Jun 06, 2022
tushqueen:

Was it manual exam or automatic. How many lessons did you take please. I know I'my not you, just trying to figure out what it takes on the average

I took manual. I could drive both from nigeria and when I was searching for cars, manual cars were cheaper. But half way through my lessons, I got a bargain on auto but decided to go ahead with manual lessons and test.

I started my lessons in march and had 3 hours(twice a week) lesson every week till I did my test on 2nd June. Some weeks had no lessons and some had only 1. So I'm not exactly sure how many I took. I took so many lessons cos I heard Birmingham was a difficult place to learn, similar to London. If you're in a quiet city, you mat not need as many lessons.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by bunsuq: 2:33pm On Jun 06, 2022
Mamatukwas:

September Intake is typically sorted by February in most UK councils. However, your best bet would be to reach out to your local council as soon as the kids arrive. If they are of school age they will place them.

Thank you so very much.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Peace16: 9:41am On Jun 07, 2022
I’m currently in UK and available as nanny or babysitter for working mums. You can reach me on 07935684447. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by canadaishome: 10:14am On Jun 07, 2022
Peace16:
I’m currently in UK and available as nanny or babysitter for working mums. You can reach me on 07935684447. Thanks

You didn't state your location
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Peace16: 10:20am On Jun 07, 2022
Oxford and Birmingham
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by tushqueen(f): 12:12pm On Jun 07, 2022
mumzt:

I took manual. I could drive both from nigeria and when I was searching for cars, manual cars were cheaper. But half way through my lessons, I got a bargain on auto but decided to go ahead with manual lessons and test.

I started my lessons in march and had 3 hours(twice a week) lesson every week till I did my test on 2nd June. Some weeks had no lessons and some had only 1. So I'm not exactly sure how many I took. I took so many lessons cos I heard Birmingham was a difficult place to learn, similar to London. If you're in a quiet city, you mat not need as many lessons.

Thanks for the details. I can't drive manual at the moment. Do I need to look for an instructor before booking the practical test. I tried to pick a date for the test so I can plan driving lessons towards it but couldn't as requesting for instructors details. Is that your experience as well?

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 12:58pm On Jun 07, 2022
Alexia20:
Kudos to a everyone here for all the wonderful insights shared here .I have really learnt alot,thanks very much .
I have a 11 years daughter that will be joining me with the rest of the family very soon on a dependent visa (maybe a month or 2 months time) and I am planning to get her registered in the nearest grammer school as soon possible . she is already in jss2 in naija and have the intellectual stuff for the grammer school entrance exam but I need advice how to get started.
What is the procedure for registration and other things I need to consider .And is it compulsory for her to have uk primary education to be considered ? And assume she doesn't get admission this year because of late registration, can she still be considered by next year when she is already 12 years .

I tried to check this as I am playing with the idea of relocating to another country for 2 years and back. . But when I checked I think you can only enter grammar school from beginning by taking 11 plus admission or transfer from one to another

If your child has passed that entrance year of primary 6 you cant enter grammar school is what I found out but if I am wrong please let me know as I am curious about this
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mumzt: 2:03pm On Jun 07, 2022
tushqueen:

Thanks for the details. I can't drive manual at the moment. Do I need to look for an instructor before booking the practical test. I tried to pick a date for the test so I can plan driving lessons towards it but couldn't as requesting for instructors details. Is that your experience as well?

You can skip instructor details and continue. That part is not compulsory

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by bunsuq: 8:49pm On Jun 10, 2022
Please I need clarifications.
We are in the process of getting international passport for our children. Our 2nd daughter has a disability in the right side of her body such that she cannot press her right fingers flat by herself for biometrics as the fingers are folded.
At the passport office today, we were directed to go to general hospital to get a doctor certification for fingerprint bypass with a picture of her upper body showing the hands.
Now, if we do that and they do not take her finger prints, what will happen at UK Visa biometrics, are such exemption honoured as I know that UK doesn't play with biometrics.
Was thinking if the passport office can allow us help her press her fingers on the machine for the finger print impression.
Please, anyone who can help to please clarify this as I am very worried about it. Thank you.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 8:59pm On Jun 10, 2022
bunsuq:
Please I need clarifications.
We are in the process of getting international passport for our children. Our 2nd daughter has a disability in the right side of her body such that she cannot press her right fingers flat by herself for biometrics as the fingers are folded.
At the passport office today, we were directed to go to general hospital to get a doctor certification for fingerprint bypass with a picture of her upper body showing the hands.
Now, if we do that and they do not take her finger prints, what will happen at UK Visa biometrics, are such exemption honoured as I know that UK doesn't play with biometrics.
Was thinking if the passport office can allow us help her press her fingers on the machine for the finger print impression.
Please, anyone who can help to please clarify this as I am very worried about it. Thank you.

Did you offer to help? Can you ask to speak with a manager perhaps? Politely. How did she do the biometric for her passport? It’s also possible that the Uk guidelines is simply what they are following and the doctors report will help you avoid future stress.

The link below suggests that’s the case

https://www.gov.uk/passport-services-disabled

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by bunsuq: 9:09pm On Jun 10, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Did you offer to help? Can you ask to speak with a manager perhaps? Politely. How did she do the biometric for her passport? It’s also possible that the Uk guidelines is simply what they are following and the doctors report will help you avoid future stress.

The link below suggests that’s the case

https://www.gov.uk/passport-services-disabled

Thank you for your prompt response. We are still in passport stage, capturing of bio-data. Her dad took her in for capturing and the immigration officer, on sighting her hand didn't even allow her make attempt but just discharge them to go get the doctors exempt from fingerprints document.

I will reattempt the capturing again with her offering to assist spread her hands. I will also get the doc certificate in case, they refuse at the passport office.

Just wondering if UK Visa biometrics exempts anyone from finger print scanning.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 10:18pm On Jun 10, 2022
bunsuq:

Thank you for your prompt response. We are still in passport stage, capturing of bio-data. Her dad took her in for capturing and the immigration officer, on sighting her hand didn't even allow her make attempt but just discharge them to go get the doctors exempt from fingerprints document.

I will reattempt the capturing again with her offering to assist spread her hands. I will also get the doc certificate in case, they refuse at the passport office.

Just wondering if UK Visa biometrics exempts anyone from finger print scanning.

The link suggests that there might be exemptions on the basis of disability if you provide proof. But it’s a case by case Kinda thing.

Your approach is okay. However, depending on how old she is, if you can get an exemption for her with a report it might be better to do so and don’t force/assist her to spread her fingers. As she grows older, you may not always be with her. It’s better it’s on record that she is exempt, than you assist her today and can’t assist her tomorrow.

You get?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by bunsuq: 12:14am On Jun 11, 2022
Mamatukwas:

The link suggests that there might be exemptions on the basis of disability if you provide proof. But it’s a case by case Kinda thing.

Your approach is okay. However, depending on how old she is, if you can get an exemption for her with a report it might be better to do so and don’t force/assist her to spread her fingers. As she grows older, you may not always be with her. It’s better it’s on record that she is exempt, than you assist her today and can’t assist her tomorrow.

You get?
Yes, I get it. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 9:12am On Jun 16, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7IMTzhrllI

I enjoyed it so wanted to share.... it about how a single mom in the UK ( father died during a family trip to Nigeria ) was able to shape and mold her 4 children into success. She the mom to Chiwetalu Ejiofor ,Zain Asher (CNN) and a daughter who is a gp

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by bunsuq: 10:07am On Jun 16, 2022
[quote author=LagosismyHome post=113849476]

I enjoyed it so wanted to share.... it about how a single mom in the UK ( father died during a family trip to Nigeria ) was able to shape and mold her 4 children into success. She the mom to Chiwetalu Ejiofor ,Zain Asher (CNN) and a daughter who is a gp
[/quot

Nice and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 1:25am On Jun 18, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Thanks for sharing. I watched it yesterday and thought that it’s unfortunate that the way our country is set up now, most parents wouldn’t be comfortable sending their young kids home for 2 years.

I see the benefit but fear won’t allow me sad

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamalistic5: 4:43am On Jun 18, 2022
Good morning everyone

I got two offers from University of the creative arts Epsom and Robert Gordon university Scotland. Which one do you think is better considering the fact that I have four children within ages 7to16?

Which of these two locations are better considering employment, condusive environment for children,cost of living and so on ?

Please mothers, what do you think ? Thanks and God bless you for your response
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by ebooony: 12:44pm On Jun 18, 2022
Hello! Pls can anyone advice on family freindly neighborhoods (with good schools) and a decent mix of various races in London. I’m ok with a maximum of 1 hour commute from home location to canary wharf.

Ps: child is a toddler (under 2 yrs), but I’m looking to rent for a long time.

Thanks for your help.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 1:11am On Jun 20, 2022
Mamalistic5:
Good morning everyone

I got two offers from University of the creative arts Epsom and Robert Gordon university Scotland. Which one do you think is better considering the fact that I have four children within ages 7to16?

Which of these two locations are better considering employment, condusive environment for children,cost of living and so on ?

Please mothers, what do you think ? Thanks
and God bless you for your response

I’ll wait for more experienced people to add their take but I reckon that Epsom is generally a posher area. So cost of living will be higher than Aberdeen but the access to quality schools for your kids will also be more.

If you’re worried about diversity you should also think well as Aberdeen is more diverse.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by twizzie: 11:39am On Jun 20, 2022
Look towards areas as Illford, Romford, Upney, Dagenham, Stratford and the likes.
ebooony:
Hello! Pls can anyone advice on family freindly neighborhoods (with good schools) and a decent mix of various races in London. I’m ok with a maximum of 1 hour commute from home location to canary wharf.

Ps: child is a toddler (under 2 yrs), but I’m looking to rent for a long time.

Thanks for your help.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by twizzie: 11:46am On Jun 20, 2022
What's most annoying about this news is how these kids now men are constantly being shielded even after one has had countless child abuse/child sexual arrests after been initially released. What would make 10 year olds kill a toddler in such gruesome manner! They should never have been released!
babythug:

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/james-bulger-what-happened-death-murder-killers-jon-venables-robert-thompson-907387

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by gorgeousnogo(f): 1:57am On Jun 22, 2022
[quote author=LagosismyHome post=112977116]

Hello, please is there any way I can do mock interview with you?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by LagosismyHome(f): 11:53am On Jun 22, 2022
[quote author=gorgeousnogo post=114033490][/quote]

I stopped doing that years ago..... with family work, life and all there absolutely no time to then be doing free mock inteview and coaching. Life has become so full on

Kindly reach out to others who might have time. I haven't even been to the US student thread in months . All the bestb
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by gorgeousnogo(f): 7:10pm On Jun 22, 2022
LagosismyHome:

I stopped doing that years ago..... with family work, life and all there absolutely no time to then be doing free mock inteview and coaching. Life has become so full on

Kindly reach out to others who might have time. I haven't even been to the US student thread in months . All the bestb

Okay. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by DFmum: 10:12am On Jul 02, 2022
Goodmorning lovely people, please I want to ask if there is a procedure to withdraw a child from school here since the plan is to take him back to Nigeria for 2 to 3years because father will be joining in uk by then . He is just 5years and will be coming only to visit twice yearly . Mum will be travelling home to visit as well till Daddy relocate finally.

He came in few months ago on dependant visa and has his BRP . Any advice will be well appreciated, thank you
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 10:40am On Jul 02, 2022
DFmum:
Goodmorning lovely people, please I want to ask if there is a procedure to withdraw a child from school here since the plan is to take him back to Nigeria for 2 to 3years because father will be joining in uk by then . He is just 5years and will be coming only to visit twice yearly . Mum will be travelling home to visit as well till Daddy relocate finally.

He came in few months ago on dependant visa and has his BRP . Any advice will be well appreciated, thank you

Awww is he going home due to childcare hassles?

I feel they’re easier to manage here at that age than send them to naija etc etc

Anyway hope it all works out fine.

Sorry I don’t know about withdrawing from schools here
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Josh121(m): 10:44am On Jul 02, 2022
DFmum:

The guideline should on the council website
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by DFmum: 11:11am On Jul 02, 2022
Yes o, childcare hassle . Have been looking for live in nanny thats affordable but cant get. Safer to return home till dad is ready to come over
babythug:

Awww is he going home due to childcare hassles?

I feel they’re easier to manage here at that age than send them to naija etc etc

Anyway hope it all works out fine.

Sorry I don’t know about withdrawing from schools here

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by DFmum: 11:33am On Jul 02, 2022
I didnt see anything like that at the west suffolks council website

Josh121:

The guideline should on the council website
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by DFmum: 11:41am On Jul 02, 2022
Looking for a live in nanny/ carer for my child incase anyone got.

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 7:59pm On Jul 03, 2022
DFmum:
Looking for a live in nanny/ carer for my child incase anyone got.

I hope you find. Otherwise it’s normally a formal letter to the Head of School informing them that he will be relocating to live with this father.

It’s not a big deal. As long as you inform the school and it’s acknowledged.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Best Countries To Immigrate By 2020 / Portugal Opens World's Longest Pedestrian Suspension Bridge On Mountains(Pics) / Tanker Explodes On Lagos - Ibadan Expressway, Vehicles Got Burnt(Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.