Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. (86581 Views)

Dozens Killed As Migrant Boat Capsizes Off Greece / Parenting In Canada...lets Connect !!!! / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 9:09pm On Jul 18, 2022
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tragedy-16-year-old-gang-24365348?fbclid=IwAR34SzAfT7iQIKT4ah6QupYYECkkbgwnsmENPh2tZMjZio71dIHGOxNKXYQ

Saw this article and my heart broke for the mum who said she has zero clue. Plus see all the Nigerian names in it! I can’t imagine the parents heart break. You move here for a better life & your child ends up with a life sentence. Very sad.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 21, 2022
Mamatukwas:

That’s amazing! Congratulations
M
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ayowolebami(f): 12:21pm On Jul 22, 2022
Mamatukwas:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tragedy-16-year-old-gang-24365348?fbclid=IwAR34SzAfT7iQIKT4ah6QupYYECkkbgwnsmENPh2tZMjZio71dIHGOxNKXYQ

Saw this article and my heart broke for the mum who said she has zero clue. Plus see all the Nigerian names in it! I can’t imagine the parents heart break. You move here for a better life & your child ends up with a life sentence. Very sad.

This was such an heartbreaking read and the Nigerian names towards the end of the article though...hmmmmm... I might be wrong ooooo but there's no how the mothers of these teenage boys who are that violent and rap with atrocities they committed or are aware of like murder wouldn't have picked a trace or two if they paid closer attention. Especially in an environment that's known for gang violence but it well. May God comfort their parents.

On an unrelated topic, please I need advice on how to go about sorting school for my 3yr old that's almost 4. She'll be 4 in October and I was wondering if it'll be possible to get a nursery that will admit her in January even though we're due to get in by September.

Trying to budget my pocket and know if I'm stuck with free 3hrs only or we can get a possible solution to her getting more hours from January after she clocks 4 as an ember baby.

I'll appreciate as much suggestions as possible from moms with experience here to help me explore all possible options.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 6:25pm On Jul 23, 2022
Ayowolebami:

On an unrelated topic, please I need advice on how to go about sorting school for my 3yr old that's almost 4. She'll be 4 in October and I was wondering if it'll be possible to get a nursery that will admit her in January even though we're due to get in by September.

Trying to budget my pocket and know if I'm stuck with free 3hrs only or we can get a possible solution to her getting more hours from January after she clocks 4 as an ember baby.

I'll appreciate as much suggestions as possible from moms with experience here to help me explore all possible options.

Where are you?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ayowolebami(f): 7:07am On Jul 24, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Where are you?

I am in Nigeria but heading to Manchester
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by gistbite(f): 9:54pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ayowolebami:

This was such an heartbreaking read and the Nigerian names towards the end of the article though...hmmmmm... I might be wrong ooooo but there's no how the mothers of these teenage boys who are that violent and rap with atrocities they committed or are aware of like murder wouldn't have picked a trace or two if they paid closer attention. Especially in an environment that's known for gang violence but it well. May God comfort their parents.

If you have an address in Manchester already, search for schools close to your house and mail them to know if they have space for September. Some schools send you the application forms via email and you can submit it when you land.
My daughter is 3 also and her school said we can pay £15 per day for the extra 3hrs
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ayowolebami(f): 5:52pm On Jul 25, 2022
gistbite:

If you have an address in Manchester already, search for schools close to your house and mail them to know if they have space for September. Some schools send you the application forms via email and you can submit it when you land.
My daughter is 3 also and her school said we can pay £15 per day for the extra 3hrs

I don't have address yet as I am still house hunting and it's not been an easy task so I haven't been able to look up any school just yet. Thank you so much for this info but was wondering if she can switch schools by January or she'd have to wait till next year September.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by heaven2earth: 9:53pm On Aug 02, 2022
Please anyone with link to an affordable accommodation in Liverpool?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by gistbite(f): 2:10pm On Aug 03, 2022
Ayowolebami:

I don't have address yet as I am still house hunting and it's not been an easy task so I haven't been able to look up any school just yet. Thank you so much for this info but was wondering if she can switch schools by January or she'd have to wait till next year September.
She can switch in April. But make sure to go to the school to know if there's space for her.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by gistbite(f): 2:10pm On Aug 03, 2022
heaven2earth:
Please anyone with link to an affordable accommodation in Liverpool?

Onthemarket.com

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Ayowolebami(f): 6:20pm On Aug 04, 2022
gistbite:

She can switch in April. But make sure to go to the school to know if there's space for her.

Ok thank you so much. Will definitely ask as much questions as possible when she starts with the free 15hrs to enable me plan ahead of time and not miss a good chance.
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Adayoung(f): 5:02am On Aug 05, 2022
Thanks for this great thread, it is much needed. For those in England, how does one register for reception/ primary school? My child will be 4 in September and still nursery. When is the best time to start applying for primary school/reception?
Secondly, how do I go about applying? Do I send a mail to any school of my choosing or apply via council?
Also, I have identified the schools with outstanding ofset records but they a long drive from where I live, can my child still be given a place in such schools ? ( I don’t mind the distance)?
Pardon my many questions, the system of education is quite different from what I know and I’m trying to do the best I can for my kids
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by teeebest(m): 11:45am On Aug 06, 2022
Adayoung:
Thanks for this great thread, it is much needed. For those in England, how does one register for reception/ primary school? My child will be 4 in September and still nursery. When is the best time to start applying for primary school/reception?

I think Whatever age a child clocks before August 31st will determine if he/she will be able to start reception in England(I stand to be corrected)

Secondly, how do I go about applying? Do I send a mail to any school of my choosing or apply via council?

Most application for school placement goes through the council. You can check your councils website, there should be information about how you can pick your preferred schools there.

Also, I have identified the schools with outstanding ofset records but they a long drive from where I live, can my child still be given a place in such schools ? ( I don’t mind the distance)?

I think your council will consider schools that are closer to your home first.

Pardon my many questions, the system of education is quite different from what I know and I’m trying to do the best I can for my kids

We all are trying to do our best for our kids oo. Hopefully, elders will be able to give further info on your questions soon. All the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Chydobe: 12:35am On Aug 20, 2022
United Kingdom (UK) is home to one of the finest and top ranked schools in the world. United Kingdom has the best school facilities and takes great pride in the quality and standards her school possess.

It is worthy of note to state that, on the list of global university ranking, two UK schools sit comfortably amongs the top 5 schools in the world. This article brings to your knowledge the best top 10 universities in UK and reasons why they made the top 10 universities in UK list.

Click on the link below to see the list of top best universities in UK

https://www.scholarworldwide.com/top-10-universities-in-uk-best-ranked-universities-in-uk/
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by HollyMadison(f): 7:33pm On Aug 21, 2022
Hi parents,

Please can a family friend(coming in on student visa with his family) bring in my kids(on my student dependant visa) from Nigeria?

Can they also take the kids to do TB test and visa biometrics?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 9:38pm On Aug 21, 2022
HollyMadison:
Hi parents,

Please can a family friend(coming in on student visa with his family) bring in my kids(on my student dependant visa) from Nigeria?

Can they also take the kids to do TB test and visa biometrics?

You want friends who aren’t related to being your kids into the UK? If that’s what you’re asking, I’d say it’s probably possible with a lot of detailed paperwork and will most likely invite close scrutiny of the entire traveling party.

Why risk it? I’d advice you make arrangements for yourself or a blood family member to bring them if you can.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 9:40pm On Aug 21, 2022
Best Of Luck to all the Scottish Wains Starting School Tomorrow!!!! God’s blessings on our Kids and May He help us guide them through another term.

Amin.

10 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by mumzt: 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mamatukwas:

You want friends who aren’t related to being your kids into the UK? If that’s what you’re asking, I’d say it’s probably possible with a lot of detailed paperwork and will most likely invite close scrutiny of the entire traveling party.

Why risk it? I’d advice you make arrangements for yourself or a blood family member to bring them if you can.

Cheers.

Or, book unaccompanied minors tickets for them. Then be at the airport waiting when they arrive. This was what my friend did. Kids were 13, 11 and 8

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Mamatukwas: 8:25pm On Aug 22, 2022
mumzt:

Or, book unaccompanied minors tickets for them. Then be at the airport waiting when they arrive. This was what my friend did. Kids were 13, 11 and 8

Another option.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by tinutunde(f): 5:37pm On Sep 06, 2022
Good evening everyone,please I need help with how to fill reading diary given to my son to complete.I am no too familiar with this UK system yet,he is in year 1
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by dupyshoo: 5:53pm On Sep 06, 2022
What I always do is to put the no of pages that was read and then some comments. For example, I can say Ayo read fluently and pronounced the difficult words correctly. He was able to narrate the story to me. Well done Ayo!!

If in doubt, ask his teacher after school!!

tinutunde:
Good evening everyone,please I need help with how to fill reading diary given to my son to complete.I am no too familiar with this UK system yet,he is in year 1

4 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by dupyshoo: 6:03pm On Sep 06, 2022
It is usually dependent on the policy of your council. For my council, the application for a place opens in November till mid of January. You will be informed of the allocation in April.
You will be given the opportunity to choose 3 schools. You will mostly get your 1st choice if you meet the criteria.

Regarding your question about the school you want, if it is an outstanding school, there is high likelihood that the school will be oversubscribed. Also, is it a faith school ( CE or Catholic School)? If yes, you will need to check if you meet the criteria. To be honest with you, it will likely be very difficult to get into the school due to the distance from your house.

Adayoung:

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by tinutunde(f): 9:42pm On Sep 06, 2022
[quote author=dupyshoo post=116414989]What I always do is to put the no of pages that was read and then some comments. For example, I can say Ayo read fluently and pronounced the difficult words correctly. He was able to narrate the story to me. Well done Ayo!!

If in doubt, ask his teacher after school!!
Thanks for this,God bless you
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by ugoonuoha: 7:02am On Sep 09, 2022
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Santa2: 5:43am On Sep 16, 2022
dupyshoo:
You don't have to relate with the parents. If you force it, you will struggle as you will likely have different interests. I only relate with the nice ones among them.

My own story: my son is the only black in his class and has loads of friends in his class. He does not get to play with any of them after school as well except when he is invited for birthday parties (which is quite often, for example he currently has about 5 parties this month).
One thing I did is to ensure he attends most of the birthday parties whenever it is not on Sundays. So, he can use the time to bond with his classmates.
When he had his birthday party, I was worried that a lot of his friends will not want to attend his own birthday party but to my amazement, he kept requesting for more invitation cards and we eventually had more people than we budgeted for.

So, don't worry too much about it. Just ensure that you let your kids know that they are loved. Also, get your kid involved in different after school activities where they can make friends.

In my case my son is the social butterfly, blends easily and had loads of friends in a short time, while my daughter on the other hand is selective. Unfortunately we had to move cities again just as they were bonding and beginning to make friends.It is what it though. Birthday parties was how I was able to bond with other parents (actually my spouse did the bonding and I just latched on). But we are starting allover again as we just moved .

I think I will just let it happen naturally and get them involved in as much after school activities as suggested here. Its nice to know that other people are experiencing what you experience. It is sometime hard to articulate your experience and put them into words. God bless the person wey start this thread, Its a treasure trove. Walahi, navigating the western environment no easy, one has to be intentional and constantly updating knowledge. We keep pushing!

2 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by preggyhealth: 9:04am On Sep 17, 2022
Parenting is not an easy task in most families. It is important to join parenting programs as it increases the bond between parents and children. It also helps the parents to see that they are not alone. There are 8 effective parenting programs.

3 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by MimiBen: 7:13am On Sep 18, 2022
Good Morning house!

I will be relocating to Liverpool next month by God’s grace.

Please I need suggestions on good areas to concentrate when searching for accommodation?

I’m coming on a Tier 4 visa (MSc Biomedical Science). Is it advisable to get a care job or a job related to my line of study so I can hopefully get a sponsored job?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Santa2: 8:42am On Sep 18, 2022
MimiBen:
Good Morning house!

I will be relocating to Liverpool next month by God’s grace.

Please I need suggestions on good areas to concentrate when searching for accommodation?

I’m coming on a Tier 4 visa (MSc Biomedical Science). Is it advisable to get a care job or a job related to my line of study so I can hopefully get a sponsored job?

I wish I have insight on living in Liverpool, I would have dished out..with regards to the second question, The choice is ultimately yours, People would only give advise based of their personal experience, but in the end, you have to make the decision that suits your specific situation. You could take up the care job first as they relatively easy to get. But also realize aside care there are also other role you can easily pick up like customer support roles, retail positions etc while you keep searching in your area of experience. I believe on should set an goal on what one wants to achieve and work towards it.

1 Like

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by Igbamatigbi: 8:55am On Sep 18, 2022
[quote author=Santa2 post=116772802]
Liverpool is a lovely place. I live here. Avoid Kensington area especially if you have kids, concentrate on Woolton, Croxthe, Crosby, Walton, childwall most places are not bad but advice Kensington it’s filled with rough people, drug addicts are always on the road including working girls.

9 Likes

Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by MimiBen: 1:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
[quote author=Igbamatigbi post=116773170][/quote]
Thank you
I have two kids
3 years and 1 year

How’s Bootle and Kirkby?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by MimiBen: 1:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
Santa2:

I wish I have insight on living in Liverpool, I would have dished out..with regards to the second question, The choice is ultimately yours, People would only give advise based of their personal experience, but in the end, you have to make the decision that suits your specific situation. You could take up the care job first as they relatively easy to get. But also realize aside care there are also other role you can easily pick up like customer support roles, retail positions etc while you keep searching in your area of experience. I believe on should set an goal on what one wants to achieve and work towards it.

Thank you so much
Please where can I search for the customer support roles and other jobs?
Re: Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. by babythug(f): 10:28am On Sep 19, 2022
Good morning everyone!

Watching the queen’s funeral? smiley

I need some urgent advise and contributions on a parenting issue please

I have three sons and the first is 14. We’ve just moved here and they’ve settled in quite well. Like a typical oyinbo teenager he “wants” to go out - play basketball, football, hang out with friends etc which I don’t like and mostly * don’t allow.

During the summer it was war cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (27) (Reply)

Portugal Opens World's Longest Pedestrian Suspension Bridge On Mountains(Pics) / Tanker Explodes On Lagos - Ibadan Expressway, Vehicles Got Burnt(Photos, Video) / Saudi Prince Flies With His 80 Hawks After Buying Air-flight Tickets For Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.